Psy Chill Sucks

Goa Bill

Another great discussion spoiled by the.... well it doesnt matter.... im with Snap

632629[/snapback]

Nemo i wasn´t starting the discuss9ion about hallucinogen, i just talked with charlie about wheather he stil listens to astral projection or not because the are too generic, than it comes to the hallucinogen discussion, i can´t understand what´s the problem with that, people can still talk about the chillout topic but isn´t it allowed in a trancetopic to talk about hallucinogen, shpongle, aktually shpongle makes a kind of psychill and ambient so what´s your problem. Oh and what´s your problem, since 3 months noone talked about hallucinogen at all so i find it just normal that no there is some hallucinogen discussion, man i am not the person who want to talk about fullo and dark psy in psynews.org, i want keep the good goa spirit here and you all try to destroy it by saying this and that against me and hallucinogen and don´t like discussions about hallucinogen, did i say something about the discussion about juno reactor? No, so please doh´t blame on me and go cracy when i am talking about hallucinogen, who should talk about hallucinogen when not I?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nemo i wasn´t starting the discuss9ion about hallucinogen, i just talked with charlie about wheather he stil listens to astral projection or not because the are too generic, than it comes to the hallucinogen discussion, i can´t understand what´s the problem with that, people can still talk about the chillout topic but isn´t it allowed in a trancetopic to talk about hallucinogen, shpongle, aktually shpongle makes a kind of psychill and ambient so what´s your problem. Oh and what´s your problem, since 3 months noone talked about hallucinogen at all so i find it just normal that no there is some hallucinogen discussion, man i am not the person who want to talk about fullo and dark psy in psynews.org, i want keep the good goa spirit here and you all try to destroy it by saying this and that against me and hallucinogen and don´t like discussions about hallucinogen, did i say something about the discussion about juno reactor? No, so please doh´t blame on me and go cracy when i am talking about hallucinogen, who should talk about hallucinogen when not I?

632645[/snapback]

funny how I didnt mention ANY names, yet you seem to feel guilty... :D

Anyways, this is not about justifying what you wrote about, this thread is about psy chill, and that it sucks or not... i couldnt give a damn about the rest :D

Nemo i wasn´t starting the discuss9ion about hallucinogen

632645[/snapback]

Yet I count...

632645[/snapback]

9 times you mentioned hallucinogen in your post ;)

And of course, any kind of musical taste is highly subjective, but on an objective level I think we can agree that a lot of the developments in 'pschill' as a genre have seen the usage of similar samples, instruments, sounds, progression and build in tracks.

And well, at least for me it works like this: if a lot of tracks start sounding similar, they start to lose their 'psychedelic' effect on me. If I can't be surprised anymore, then there's not much fun to be gained anymore. That's my main complaint about psychill these days.

632640[/snapback]

I agree with that. Not saying that all of it sucks, just that a lot of it sounds similar to other pieces.

I did like some recent releases though, but I also have to admit that my taste is evolving towards a somewhat more minimalistic psychedelic style. The art of silence is very suggestive! And even the most recent psychill albums that I did like were a little full of sounds... think Capsula, Androcell, Slack Baba. All very good, but a little too rich... But that's just me!

632640[/snapback]

Taste is taste, if you're not looking for the 'richness' of those albums you'd probably like more IDM, minimal ambient releases etc. That's not a crime! :)

Anyway, I don't think that exploring new styles and genres for the sake of exploring new types of music is a necessity. But I do feel that sometimes one needs to look across borders to be able to access new sources of creativity, instead of wanting to get on the bandwagon and join everybody else. I mean... originality is worth something too!

632640[/snapback]

I definitely think that exploring new styles and genres ultimately is the best thing to do - not limit your music to one genre because you'll ultimately get bored with it - don't be afraid to try a completely new style.

Borders, well I don't care for genre barricades to be honest, good music is good music - I know when I write I'm not thinking "right, let's make some post IDM industrial tech ambient dub", just letting the music do the talking and someone else later can classify it if they want...

I'm just looking for innovation and new ways of looking at how psychedelic is defined through music - I definitely do want different albums in my collection!!

Ok, in a vain attempt to put some spice into this discussion, let me explain why I think this is not a purely negative one and why I agree to some of the points made.

First of all: it took me a while to realize what psychill (or sometimes psybient) stands for. It doesn't really matter though, but it's a widely used name and most people will understand what it stands for.

For me: psychedelic chillout can stand for a lot of things. I mean, there's a lot of differences between the Future Sound of London, Ozric Tentacles, Ooze, Boards of Canada, Global Communication, Pink Floyd and Zenzile [AND SHPONGLE!!!] , but I'd consider all of them psychedelic chillout.

Things they have in common are: they're not too upbeat, they move me emotionally and 'spiritually', take me too deeper regions of musical appreciation, states of consciousness and surprise me! They explore the unknown, they do things to me!

And of course, any kind of musical taste is highly subjective, but on an objective level I think we can agree that a lot of the developments in 'pschill' as a genre have seen the usage of similar samples, instruments, sounds, progression and build in tracks.

And well, at least for me it works like this: if a lot of tracks start sounding similar, they start to lose their 'psychedelic' effect on me. If I can't be surprised anymore, then there's not much fun to be gained anymore. That's my main complaint about psychill these days.

I did like some recent releases though, but I also have to admit that my taste is evolving towards a somewhat more minimalistic psychedelic style. The art of silence is very suggestive! And even the most recent psychill albums that I did like were a little full of sounds... think Capsula, Androcell, Slack Baba. All very good, but a little too rich... But that's just me!

Anyway, I don't think that exploring new styles and genres for the sake of exploring new types of music is a necessity. But I do feel that sometimes one needs to look across borders to be able to access new sources of creativity, instead of wanting to get on the bandwagon and join everybody else. I mean... originality is worth something too!

I hope I got my points across. And I hope people will at least come with some arguments why they agree or do not agree with me. Discussion is good :)

632640[/snapback]

How can you forget to mention shpongle, you are unbelievable, shame on you, god bless you for forgetting SHPONGLE

Ok, in a vain attempt to put some spice into this discussion, let me explain why I think this is not a purely negative one and why I agree to some of the points made.

First of all: it took me a while to realize what psychill (or sometimes psybient) stands for. It doesn't really matter though, but it's a widely used name and most people will understand what it stands for.

For me: psychedelic chillout can stand for a lot of things. I mean, there's a lot of differences between the Future Sound of London, Ozric Tentacles, Ooze, Boards of Canada, Global Communication, Pink Floyd and Zenzile, but I'd consider all of them psychedelic chillout.

Things they have in common are: they're not too upbeat, they move me emotionally and 'spiritually', take me too deeper regions of musical appreciation, states of consciousness and surprise me! They explore the unknown, they do things to me!

632640[/snapback]

For me Psychill is anything downbeat psychedelic. From beatless ambient to morning trance (ex Blue Planet Corporation). See I'm not very good with people's genres. I couldn't give a shit what people call music as long as I like it!

Everytime I put a new chill CD into my ipod I label it as chillout. I can listen to Massive Attack followed by some pete namlook followed by aes dana then slackbaba & Puff Dragon. All wildly different from each other but it shares the common link that I need. It's relaxing to listen to :)

For me there is only chill & I think there has been some fantastic releases recently. Ultimae brought (and are bringing) out some damn fine stuff this year, there was some nice stuff on the Kettel album, Jikkenteki's album had a brilliant chill CD and don't forget Androcell, slackbaba & the comilations, relaxed journeys & downbeat liquid.

Thinking of it, this has been a great year for Psychill! I have loved a lot of releases! :wub:

Abasio, you´re right, blueplanetcorp are really good, they release pretty hypnotic stuff, i like their older tracks with the 4/4 rythm, they aren´t really fast and because of that you´re right that they could be labeled chill.

Abasio, you´re right, blueplanetcorp are really good, they release pretty hypnotic stuff, i like their older tracks with the 4/4 rythm, they aren´t really fast and because of that you´re right that they could be labeled chill.

632816[/snapback]

All the recent stuff from Blue Planet Corp has been very chill & some nice stuff I've heard to. I'd like to see another album from BPC :)

My views on the matter are as follows:

(1) First of all I think Trentmoller is vastly over-rated. Frankly, I do not understand what the fuss is all about.

(2) Isan and Schnauss are not that great either (Isan better than Schnauss). Although I confess to having purchased their albums in the past and still consider Isan's Lucky Cat to be a very nice release. It is not a bad label, but a lot of the Morr Music releases can be a bit iffy (although there are some fine ones as well...).

(3) I bloody hate the term "IDM". Particularly when it is used to describe stuff like the above artists.

(4) I, too, think that a lot of the Psy chill stuff is glorified muzak. And, yes it is the Entheogenic, Schulman style generic stuff which really gets my goat.

This is not to say that there are not plenty of interesting psy chill tracks - there are, and I will happily concede as much. However, a lot of tracks should simply not be released. Of course, I do appreciate that this is an accusation that can also be levelled at 'regular' psy trance as well (e.g. the full-on, or the dark psy).

I do not believe that saying "psy-chill sucks" is necessarily being unconstructively negative. Rather, I feel it can also be taken as a pointed lamentation which perhaps some might treat as a exhortation to improve quality in the genre (ignoring the matter of how ill-defined the "genre" is), . Hopefully, it will also encourage us to seek out the better releases and share the information with others in wonderful sites such as this one.

In its defense, it can be said that while a lot of the psy chill is clearly an unambitious and less challenging form of music, it nevertheless can still achieve its aim - to provide some relaxing music. In this context, much of psy chill does 'work'. Perhaps, this is destiny (in some cases, the overt aim) of much of the psy chill body of music.

Finally, I do want to make it quite clear that I do buy psy-chill here and there.

Pedro

It's hard to say a genre sucks. Every genre sucks if you look at it like that. 80%+ of all music in every genre is generic crap copying whatever was popular before it. Why? Because even people who think they are different because they have a taste in music that is very uncommon (like our own little scene) don't have the ideas to be truly different so every genre churns out the same old crap time & time again. But some artists are different & make fantastic music in every genre (except country imo) & Psy-chill is no different. If you don't like then don't listen to it.

Psy chill is pretty much the only gender that actually doesn´t suck, I say :rolleyes:

639107[/snapback]

I think a lot of females suck quite well. Some men probably do too!

Man if psy chill was a gender then I'm sure it would be beautiful :)

• 4 months later...