Psy Chill Sucks

Goa Bill

Some of that stuff is like.. all sounds, no music.

It might be good technically, but the music itself often sounds superficial and overdone to my ears... though I'm sure there are exceptions

Take the almighty Global Communication - 76:14 from 1994... and tell me if anything from the chilled-downtempo-trance-psybient style could beat that.

628978[/snapback]

I would prefer to listen to Global Communication but I think a comparison is wrong. Although there's one album that stands out in the psy-chill genre, Galaxy - Angel. Also Downhill - Silent City (delta sideproject) (very different from the standard 'psychill').. Same with Electrypnose - Subliminal Melancholies.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah theres too many half baked Chill on this Chill on that compilations.. every once in a while you find a good track but, everything is so recycled like that one indian vocal sample every artist has to make a track with it.. every time i hear it i skip the track :lol:

After i was exposed by some excellent IDM and Ambient by the likes ISAN, Trentemoller, Pete Namlook, Ulrich Schnauss and some more i have reached the conclusion that the current Chill releases from Psy labels are nothing but shite. And that excludes the likes of Twisted, Aleph Zero and Interchill that still have some sort of a quality control over their releases.

I know i am being too negative and all, but please, stop releasing psy trance with half the speed. It takes more than that.

628800[/snapback]

You should get to work on a "Approved by Pavel" sticker.

As far as Im concerned, if people want to invest a lot of their hard earned cash into music they love, in order to release it onto the market, its their freedom to do so.

When we start to dictate what they can, and cannot release, what we end up with in the end is R&B or whatever crap the mainstream wants.

Im very happy you choose to mention something you do like however, theres so much "this sucks bla bla" going on, without anyone taking the time to mention what they DO like then.

No matter what, I wonder if you will still like the, for you, new stuff as much when you have been listening to it for ages... or if that will also just be shit, which you will then again so profoundly announce :-)

For me. 90% of ALL music is shit - Still, in some instances, its not 90% shit all the time - Since when something sounds new and fresh, I have a tendency towards being less picky about music - but - after having listened through a certain amount of it, Im back at 90%, then 95% etc.

- Krell

You should get to work on a "Approved by Pavel" sticker.

As far as Im concerned, if people want to invest a lot of their hard earned cash into music they love, in order to release it onto the market, its their freedom to do so.

When we start to dictate what they can, and cannot release, what we end up with in the end is R&B or whatever crap the mainstream wants.

Im very happy you choose to mention something you do like however, theres so much "this sucks bla bla" going on, without anyone taking the time to mention what they DO like then.

No matter what, I wonder if you will still like the, for you, new stuff as much when you have been listening to it for ages... or if that will also just be shit, which you will then again so profoundly announce :-)

For me. 90% of ALL music is shit - Still, in some instances, its not 90% shit all the time - Since when something sounds new and fresh, I have a tendency towards being less picky about music - but - after having listened through a certain amount of it, Im back at 90%, then 95% etc.

- Krell

629001[/snapback]

This reply was approved by Pavel ( according to Psy Chill Standards PSYSO9000)

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/sfb/sfb1cd002.html

best chill of the year.. IMO

628888[/snapback]

Very good choice. One of my favourite chill releases also. It's different.

I admit a lot of psy chill nowadays can sound samey but that comes from too many people trying to sound like whoever was popular before. Still there has been some good releases this year.

Androcell - Effloresence

Downbeat Liquid vol 1

Relaxed Journeys

Kuba - Inside out

Jikkenteki - The Long Walk Home (Revelations & Moments of Clarity)

For me have all been superb :D

I have to agree a lot of the psychill is formulaic, but you get that with many releases. I've probably overdosed myself with chill last year and while I'm still into it I'm not snapping up releases left right and center. It's hard to find innovation these days and that's my biggest concern, not that music isn't good, it's that music isn't different any more.

After i was exposed by some excellent IDM and Ambient by the likes ISAN, Trentemoller, Pete Namlook, Ulrich Schnauss and some more i have reached the conclusion that the current Chill releases from Psy labels are nothing but shite. And that excludes the likes of Twisted, Aleph Zero and Interchill that still have some sort of a quality control over their releases.

I know i am being too negative and all, but please, stop releasing psy trance with half the speed. It takes more than that.

628800[/snapback]

amen brother, amen.

Once upon a time, there was Mystery of the Yeti ... (skip forward) ... then there was Shpongle..... (skip forward) ... then there was Entheogenic ... (freeze frame) ... then everybody sounded alike.

Basically psychill is the chillout genre that originated from goa/psytrance. Very recognizable, lots of ethnic samples, instruments, beats are a lot alike, etc. etc. You know it when you hear it. I guess.

Once upon a time, there was Mystery of the Yeti ... (skip forward) ... then there was Shpongle..... (skip forward) ... then there was Entheogenic ... (freeze frame) ... then everybody sounded alike.

Basically psychill is the chillout genre that originated from goa/psytrance. Very recognizable, lots of ethnic samples, instruments, beats are a lot alike, etc. etc. You know it when you hear it. I guess.

629148[/snapback]

There were some very nice releases in between. But it's pretty stale in the last 2 years.

There were some very nice releases in between. But it's pretty stale in the last 2 years.

629162[/snapback]

Of course there were, that's what the dots stand for. But yes, it has gotten stale, most acts seem to have run out of creativity. We need new influences! More crossover, more eclecticism! Look the other way, check out some funk, hiphop, psychedelic rock, breakbeats, reggae, soul, clicks and cuts, turntablism, atmospheric stuff, whatever. But please: innovate!!

Of course there were, that's what the dots stand for. But yes, it has gotten stale, most acts seem to have run out of creativity. We need new influences! More crossover, more eclecticism! Look the other way, check out some funk, hiphop, psychedelic rock, breakbeats, reggae, soul, clicks and cuts, turntablism, atmospheric stuff, whatever. But please: innovate!!

629166[/snapback]

Word! And get rid of these Indian chanting Sample CDS. In Reger's immortal words: OLD

In my opinion, it is all very simple.

Any genre when listened to too much becomes boring.

But the same genre in small quantities (provided those small quantities include the quality end of the spectrum) rocks.

629234[/snapback]

its sad... but true.

Imo, just when you begin exploring a genre of music is the best time. every bit of music you buy or collect exites you, but as you tend to listen/collect more and more of it, the exitement and appreciation seems to fade away. and the older stuff always seems more creative than the newer.

I'd say the new Androcell and Entheogenic albums are the worst offenders here - the second half of the "Relaxed Journey's" comp too...

Entheogenic in particular is just so generic sounding...

I agree - down with all the tribal/ethnic/chanting/indian woman stuff.. And the Terence Mckenna samples too... Way overdone...

Here's some exceptions - some of my favorites:

* Bluetech - Elementary Particles and Prima Materia

* Ott - Blumenkraft & Hallucinogen in Dub

*Chilling Matenda - Mediteran (fuckin excellent!)

* Shulman - In Search of a Meaningful Moment

* Abakus - One Step Closer to the Sun

* Autechre - Incunabula

* Jean Michael-Jarre - Equinox

I haven't heard many of the albums recommended above (Electrypnose is on it's way though) but I'm eager to hear something original...

In my opinion, it is all very simple.

Any genre when listened to too much becomes boring.

But the same genre in small quantities (provided those small quantities include the quality end of the spectrum) rocks.

629234[/snapback]

BTW, i heard Kukan-Dub-Lagan a month ago live and i've totally changed my mind about his music. It's quite ok :lol: