Why Do DJ's mix similar tracks?

healium

I read sometimes about certain music being "unmixable" while others a good "DJ tool"...

When I go to psytrance parties generally the DJ's set will consist of similar sounding tracks - or it's be a full-on set or a progressive set, that sort of thing...

Why don't DJ's mix wildly different tracks most the time - is it just really hard to do or something?

It sure would be more fun to dance and listen to some really different stuff - I rarely hear the more colorful and unique tracks during DJ sets - it's usually the "middle of the road" type tracks...

euhm,

1. when dj play often the party has got a concept, like fullon party or a progressive party,

so suddenly switching some will not like

2. lot's of dj's choose a direction and are used to mix fullon or something else and don't buy progressive cd's or practise mixing them

3. there also the formula, if you play a morning fullon set @ 9 o'clock in the morning it seems rather breaking the atmosphere to change sudden with less uplifting progressive.

the fact that you heard that some tracks can't be mixed is often within the genre itself,

there are many old skool tracks that sound beautifull played after each other but can't be perfect mixed or beatmatched, happens a lot and is imo a bit frustrated,

with fullon and progressive nowdays that issue is less present cause the production is more perfect, well perfect in perspective of mathematics...

that's how I always seen it...

usually it makes more sense to continue a flow in a set than to change from relaxt progressive to driving fullon or twisted dark stuff and back to psybreaks.

Besides that alot of progressive is around 135 bpm and if you would like to mix that with a fullon track of 147.. it doesnt sound very well.

But off course it could be done to find different sounding tracks with similar bpm. but thats thinking outside the box and very very dangerous!

It is quite difficult to make a perfect mix even with similar tracks so in order to experiment and deviate successfully one needs lots of practice in order for the mix to sound harmonic.

usually it makes more sense to continue a flow in a set than to change from relaxt progressive to driving fullon or twisted dark stuff and back to psybreaks.

627408[/snapback]

exactly

It's all about the flow ... the flow must continue. A change from full on to progressive to dark to breakbeat isn't very harmonic IMO, I wouldn't like that.

Many DJs shy away from good music that just happens to be hard to mix... that's a fact. They don't challenge themselves or their audience; they merely cane the mix-by-numbers cut-and-paste stuff because it requires barely any effort and seems to satisfy. I always give props when I hear a DJ try to work in some Juno Reactor, Hux Flux, or Eraser vs Yojalka. That doesn't happen very often, unfortunatly.

exactly

It's all about the flow ... the flow must continue. A change from full on to progressive to dark to breakbeat isn't very harmonic IMO, I wouldn't like that.

627465[/snapback]

Its all about the experience, flow is a big part of it. I agree.

But we can also become blinded by the word "flow" as being just one thing.

What we are talking about here, its "track2track flow", how one track flows into another, sound wise, energy wise etc.

However, one thing to remember is that flow is not only about how it works from track2track, but through the whole set, and even the party as such.

Why Im writing this is, that you can find tracks which are almost totally similar, and have a set build up around them - but what you end up with is one long boring soup of sound, which goes nowhere - no trip, no contrast.

Actually, if you can mix dark psy, house, progressive psytrance and full on into one mix, and make it work, you are a true master of flow.

Achieving flow is the first step, mastering it is another... You dont master flow just by recognizing and understanding its existence, you need to be able to use it to create a voyage - to do this, you need variation in your track selection - So, we end up with trade off, variation in the track selection vs track2track flow... This is where intelligence comes into trance djing and mixing.

So, its not only about flow, its about "interesting flow", even "interesting unpredictable flow".

For me, its what seperates an ok dj from a good one.

- Krell

Yea I don't really care about "the flow" - I just know that when it's similar sounding my dancing becomes very monotonous and boring...

After awhile I just start bobbing and shuffling around - if some really fresh sounding track comes in it makes me want to dance in a different way...

I wouldn't give a damn if the transition between tracks wasn't very smooth - who cares?

If a DJ wants to go from, say, Pleiadians --> Hallucinogen --> Hux Flux , couldn't they just put some extended break in there where the beat stops for awhile?

Some of the most fun dancing I ever had was at a breakbeat party - the DJ's were mixing in all sorts of funky stuff and for each track, I would dance in a very different way...

Yea I don't really care about "the flow" - I just know that when it's similar sounding my dancing becomes very monotonous and boring...

After awhile I just start bobbing and shuffling around - if some really fresh sounding track comes in it makes me want to dance in a different way...

I wouldn't give a damn if the transition between tracks wasn't very smooth - who cares? 

If a DJ wants to go from, say, Pleiadians --> Hallucinogen --> Hux Flux , couldn't they just put some extended break in there where the beat stops for awhile?

628051[/snapback]

yeah man, it's called fading :lol:

The rest you can blameon boring dj's... I don't like a full on too much for example, but i know a friend that will give me a run for my legs. He knows the timing, he knows the tracks and he knows how to mix superbly well... to the point where he makes doubt everything i thought i knew... it's about the DJ... B)

One of the best sets i've ever heard in a psy party had electro, psytrance and techno in it...

I thought it was awesome heheh.. and it was like almost morning, kinda like 5:30am..

I like it, lots of people enjoyed it..

Maybe not many djs play different tracks because they think that they have to play a certain kind of music, when in fact, maybe, they should surprise the listeners to a broader range of music..

Like the dude (i dont remember the name, it was Tim something I think) played a ultra-cheesy psy song, GMS-Juice then after that he played the electro version of outta space, which was awesome, everybody jumped when he made that change...

But some people didnt like it too, but most people that weren't new to the scene loved it.