online psychedelic shops and their sales

supergroover

Guest Elysium

'Old-skool' artists that aren't selling out sell roughly 1000-2000 copies / album. The (big) fullon acts like Skazi and co nowadays will sell tens of thousands, they're the ones that get rich and famous.

625225[/snapback]

Really? Then tell me how come some of the most popular selling lables are happy if they manage to sell 1500 copies. Incl. Iboga, Tribal Vision etc.

And 10.000's of copies for the big "stars".. I really doubt that it's even possible anymore. Even they have felt the reality come crashing hard down on them. Just because you got many gigs and make kilarghh music does not mean you sell 10.000's of CD's.

And why is making money and selling CD instantly in some people's world of reason the same as selling out? Take Beck.. Is he selling out? Is Moby? Is the Chemical Brothers? Is The Prodigy? etc. ect. ect. etc.

Wow... someone tell me which label is paying $5 to the artist per copy sold, I wanna send them a demo...

625279[/snapback]

lol, this is indeed madness

a label gets only like 7-8$ for a cd sold, so giving away 60% is a pure utopia!

wouldn't it be better for the label to distribute it as well ? [at least online selling e.g what psyshop does but just for the label's releases]

625376[/snapback]

I think almost all labels do so? We for sure, but all the other, Twisted, TIP, Exogenic,... do it too... :) they sell it for 10€, which is cheaper as most normal shops :)

I think almost all labels do so? We for sure, but all the other, Twisted, TIP, Exogenic,... do it too... :)  they sell it for 10€, which is cheaper as most normal shops :)

625520[/snapback]

Twisted sell for £9.99 right? It always works out a little more expensive for me than buying from saiko but knowing that more money goes to a label I like is worth it.

biggest fuck-up is the prices of albums, if all would have been cheaper (yes, straight from the release-date on) then my guess is that it would have sold alot more (thus, more income for shops/labels/artists as well) but that are just my thoughts... just take a look on the DVD/movie market nowadays, many former CD shops started selling (almost) DVD/movies only, because the prices are alot lower (at least here they are), even new movies you can buy for like 7 euro's nowadays and ALOT of them are being sold. New albums cost mostly 15 up to 20 or above... and only after YEARS they are being sold for like 10 euro's... but then again, those haven't got all the income from the cinemas and stuff... but that can be in comparision with gigs, merch and stuff like that..

Again: Just my thoughts, might be all wrong though.

Well how much $ does an artist usually get per copy?

I just said $5 per copy to make an illustration - I have no idea if that's correct....

I still don't see how these people are making a living - do psytrance artists usually have another job or something?

Well how much $ does an artist usually get per copy?

I just said $5 per copy to make an illustration - I have no idea if that's correct....

I still don't see how these people are making a living - do psytrance artists usually have another job or something?

625708[/snapback]

most of them and the once that get booked make enough money from live acts/dj sets @ parties..

Well how much do they make for doing live gigs?  They can only be doing like 1 per week no?  Is that enough for them to get by?

I always worry about these psytrance artists not making any money at it...

626520[/snapback]

If they don't make enogh money then they must have another source of income. Either they do make enough money, they have another job or they live at home with mummy :P

how about ambient releases?

how many cd's does ultimae f.e. sell? entheogenic? etc

i would say less.. but then again maybe they can also find some consumers in the new age and lounge territories.

any idea?

626714[/snapback]

Entheogenic and Shpongle are the top sellers, they sell over 10.000.

A good release featuring well known names by an established label sells around 2000 copies with a lot of effort into a period of time of around one year,a really good release could climb up to 2500 copies.Same goes with albums which if they are really good might sell up to 2500-3000 if promotion is done right and luck is on your side.

Most average releases in our days dont sell more than 800 copies and the rest of smaller labels and mostly the so called dark psy labels sell no more than 400-500 copies which just keeps them running.

By the way Kristian i doubt Iboga is happy by selling 1500-2000 copies,i mean i sell this number of copies and i am not happy about it not to mention that i consider Iboga as a bigger and much more well known label than mine.

All the numbers you mentioned about Infected Mushroom,Skazi,Hallucinogen,Astrix and i dont know who else are just small exceptions in the psy trance market.I seriously doubt that there are more than 10 artists who sell more than 4000-5000 copies of their releases.

how about ambient releases?

how many cd's does ultimae f.e. sell? entheogenic? etc

i would say less.. but then again maybe they can also find some consumers in the new age and lounge territories.

any idea?

626714[/snapback]

V/A Quality Relaxation (Chill Tribe Records)

with tracks by Entheogenic, Jaïa, Blue Planet Corporation, Cell, Elysium, Space Cat, Shulman/Carbon Based Lifeforms etc...

....sold only about 800 copies...