Beatport.

NEMO.BOFH

Do you think that beatport has reasonable prices?

1.99 for a track? 9 tracks is normally a compilations, and all I get is a download, nothing hardcopied?

that would get me 9 tracks for 18 euros? Or do I see it completely wrong?

Oh, and lets say there is 4 tracks on a 12", I would pay 8 euros for that 12" on beatport, and still thats almost what I pay for a 12" in a normal recordshop...

Can someone please exlain the benefits of paying as much money as if I get it in the recordshop.... please, becasue I think I must have missed out on some very important point...

Keyfactor is: you don't have to buy an entire album for 1 great kick ass track. Happens too often that a random V.A nowadays contains 1 or 2 tracks I really appreciate and the rest I do not bother/are fillers and not worth my money.

So yeah, this is a way to get the right tracks.. but it's expensive indeed.

Keyfactor is: you don't have to buy an entire album for 1 great kick ass track. Happens too often that a random V.A nowadays contains 1 or 2 tracks I really appreciate and the rest I do not bother/are fillers and not worth my money.

So yeah, this is a way to get the right tracks.. but it's expensive indeed.

613319[/snapback]

Too expensive imo

Can someone please exlain the benefits of paying as much money as if I get it in the recordshop.... please, becasue I think I must have missed out on some very important point...

613317[/snapback]

You get it immediately? Don't know. I've never paid for a download :)

since youre also into techno nemo, go to the kompakt mp3 store, each track is 1.29 there and they have a great selection.

613323[/snapback]

good tip, thanks a lot! :) Which remembers me, I have to hassle Glenn for the latest stuff! :)

this type of store also gives you access to Wav's of music that is released on vinyl waaay before CD release.

good news if you dont buy records / have CD decks

but beatport is expensive

613328[/snapback]

I still find it a scam though. I pay just the same for a cd there, as I would do in any other online store, but I get a WAV!? No cover, no cd no nothing? Comon, thats ripping people off, isnt it?

I still find it a scam though. I pay just the same for a cd there, as I would do in any other online store, but I get a WAV!? No cover, no cd no nothing? Comon, thats ripping people off, isnt it?

613329[/snapback]

If a CD is available i do not see the point of buying from stores like beatport etc. buy the cd yeah

but for individual tracks ( and as i said before ) that are released on vinyl only or vinyl way before CD release stores like this can serve good purpose but i also agree that they are overpriced

i feel a rant about this coming which i wanted to write the other day but i restrained myself, so i'll just have a go at it now and try to keep it brief.

i don't know what's the advantage of fishing out good tracks and then paying double for them on a website than if it was a regular CD or vinyl. Since the majority of labels don't really have funds to obtain a selection of 10 great tracks for a compilation (i'm talking psy trance here), they need resort to a few fillers (which of course is very subjective issue). BUT If you can save the money spent on pressing plants and distribution, investing that money on more good music, i think people would stop seeing the added value of buying single tracks. People complain, i like the cd though, i like it too and i like the graphics, and i like stashing it away. Unfortunately the market is not recovered enough to allow those luxuries very regularly where you can get a 'cute' cd cover with amazing music all-round. So at the end you have to ask yourself, do you like buying plastic or good music? - provided you where given a choice.

@bubbles: yes you know you are not paying for artwork, but they are charging you for it anyway buddy, so why the hell not get it?

which brings me to my next issue. People want to see 1 dollar downloads on psychedelic trance, just like in itunes or whatever when a psy trance track is a) twice as long as any regular pop track B) is not funded by a big studio c) it's simply not enough to pay artists what they get per track right now with the current model. most of the music on itunes and every other shop in the world is already released on CD or vinyl, which means online sales are only an added bonus of the income sales, for the people that got a conscience and decided to buy the mp3. If you have an economic model that relies solely in online sales, the price -as provocative as it may seem- does not work, it's that simple, it's not even close to breakeven with psy trance sales. In the realworld you don't go to a store clerk and ask him to sell you a sandwich for 99c or you steal it... you probably go the other store that sells the sandwich cheaper... hopefully at some point online sales will have the same option.

I went through the full circle of initially being amazed that there was finally a WAV downloading service around, getting angry about the economics, hating the prices and recent sly increase for UK buyers, and around to pleasant wonder at some of the more obscure qualities that the service is bringing to psytrance DJs today. Let me emphasize that once again: DJs. I don't really think this is all that useful for most music buyers, and let's face it - psytrance fans have it good with the CD releases. We get a lot of bang for the buck. Not so in other scenes, where vinyl singles at 12 or 15 dollars a pop remain the norm after all these years. Here is where it gets interesting! For those of us with progressive tastes, Beatport opens up this entire world of music that was previously not readily accessible. Suddenly we can dip into house, electro, techno, and other music styles that border on progressive psychedelic trance - what we simply refer to as "progressive" here in the psytrance world. The end effect is that many DJs are beginning to play material that the psytrance tastemakers - as represented by labels and their representatives - have not included in their various forays into other progressive music forms (think Tribal Vision, the Beat Delight compilation, etc). This means that we can now be our own tastemakers, free to explore countless new possibilities that were, up until now, not easily explored by anyone focusing solely on psychedelic trance.

Beatport has a massive catalogue. Where would one begin? I thought about this today and decided to draft up a new piece on my blog, to provide suggestions for psytrance listeners with progressive tastes. Check it out here: Beatport Selections 1.

If I only want 1 or 2 tracks from an album I'll buy the WAV from beatport or trackitdown.

I like the design of the beatport website. I really like how you can see top 10s and the 'buyers also bought'.

Wish there was a mp3 site that would sell as much music as psyshop or saikosounds.

you know your not paying for / purchasing artwork and a compact disk, so how can this be ripping you off ?

613337[/snapback]

what, that is new to me... so you are saying they should take their outrageous prices (which is sometimes even MORE than a cd with artwork)? Well, i dont fall for that model. Its ripping people off, and I stand by that statement.

*boycots* :D

what, that is new to me... so you are saying they should take their outrageous prices (which is sometimes even MORE than a cd with artwork)? Well, i dont fall for that model. Its ripping people off, and I stand by that statement.

*boycots* :D

613915[/snapback]

If you buy from them you are ripping yourself off.

I totally aggree with Basilisk.

If i were a progressive house / electro / techno etc DJ, i'd definitely buy from Beatport. I don't think that these music genres get released under albums, like psy & prog do. So if vynil is useless to a dj that spins with CDs, then i guess Beatport is the solution.

Many DJs invest a lot in their "geer and career" if they wanna stay "in top", so i wonder what they think about the prices. Beatport is definitely an alternative on the market.

beatport works good for getting single tracks out of "fillers only" compilations. if there are more then 2-3 good tracks on one compilation then buying the physical cd is still my way to go.

but with digital download stores i see a quality increase of psytrance music in the future. if the single track is the measurement and not the whole compilation, then succesful labels will have to release good stuff to make enough money.

so i think we will have to wait some more time until the change of paradigm has been fully worked out and then we will get good choice and good music for good prices (at least i hope so).

Haven't used it yet but definetely looks good for a techno wav. selection which are very hard to find in cd format indeed(I switched to cd's some years ago and have no new techno to spin). So if I got this right it's another dollar/euro for wav. files? That's a bit expensive but I guess I could live with less buys.

p.s. Is a high speed internet connection required and what about 56k connections?

buy from them pretty regularly

like the service, like the selection, like the fact they have music released on vinyl only in mp3 format

have discovered so much music through them (and by extension so have many friends who are now themselves starting to use it; that recommendation section on the bottom kicks ass)