HOW!?

NT

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, if I got it right, you're worried about your own situation so much that you think the way others (i.e. the "normal people") look at it has to be the right way, and that being part of an underground music scene can't be compatible with living a normal, "fulfilled" life. I can only say, we have a hobby, or passion, that only few people have, and I hear you about your passion not being taken seriously by others. But I can only advise you to stand by it - you don't have to get told by other people what music (etc.) to like and whatnot, and I think it IS possible to stay sane for someone who just likes "extreme" music, or even goes to parties/concerts here and there. I'm in the "scene" mainly because of the music itself too (next to nothing psy-wise these days, but still underground music), but I started going to psy events just this summer (and I'm planning to see some of my fave artists from other genres perform too, if I get the chance), and I really don't know how that should affect my career or social life or whatsoever. Maybe I'll have less time for it in a few years, as other things in life will take priority, but I can swear I'll never lose my passion for good music. Seriously, how many people have a passion for let's say football, attend matches, are always up to date about their favourite team etc.? Are they all losers in everyday life? In principle, it's really not too different from being in an "extreme" music scene, just that it's way more common. I don't say there aren't these "extreme" people that you described, they're in the psy scene as well as the football scene, and I think it's really your own choice whether you want to stay sane or not, and if you feel like you have to give up a passion for that, then it's fine - some people move on to other things as they get older, but as others have said here, you really can't generalise it in that way.

612498[/snapback]

I know for myself that I don't need to get told by people what to like and what not ... I am like I am for nearly 22 years now.

But you know, it's something pretty disturbing when you finally ask yourself "who is actually taking me serious?" ... pretty very few people that are. In my case.

I've been listening to psy-trance/Psy-ambient non stop (ok, 90%) for about 8 years now, and I have been to parties at least once every 2 weeks for 6 years... I have a good gf, finishing some good studies and I'm not miserable :P

And I never got bored...

Why? Because I love this music by the heart, and I have so many cds by now that I find the variety everybody is talking about within goa trance...

None can imagine how much joy it brought i my life! It was the best thing that every happened to me, and as long as the music reflects my soul, makes me smile and feel good I see no reason why I would stop listening to it! I still get goosebumps from it every day... Something I rarely have with different music (in fact, while listening to different music I'm always looking for madness and melodies, whichs fails of course...)

sorry, but follow the evolution, and you will find new loves in the music all the time. its not about managing to love the music all the time.....

I have been into psy since 1991, and for me its been one contant journey forwards..... evolution is the keyword for me..

Guest Astro Cortex

I know for myself that I don't need to get told by people what to like and what not ... I am like I am for nearly 22 years now.

Sure, my point was just that you don't need to worry too much about people not taking your musical taste seriously. In my case, there are people who I can openly tell about the music I listen to, even if they don't share my taste at all, and there are others who I won't even bother to explain, as they're just not the type of people to talk about music to and/or write my taste off as freak-like anyways.

But you know, it's something pretty disturbing when you finally ask yourself "who is actually taking me serious?" ... pretty very few people that are. In my case.

612508[/snapback]

But then, if you feel people don't take you serious AT ALL, you should really consider that there might be other reasons for that. I mean, if people behave like that solely due to the fact you're into psytrance, then they must be pretty dumb and ignorant people, and in that case you shouldn't bother too much, I don't know....

:)

Well people grow up and the way they see and hear changes,thats what i believe.

Thats what happened with me.I was listening to black metal when i was young,then to trance when i started taking loads of drugs and now i just find IDM to be much more mature and,sometimes,much more psychedelic,in the general meaning of the word.But that doesnt mean i got bored of trance.Or black metal.I still love 'em.

And Seraph, yes, you are extreme too.

"As part of the crazy, insane, underground crowd", "I turned UNSANE from such hardcore influence" ... that's extreme and you can not have n argument about that.

But that is the point. When I come to my classmates and start talking about that I'm "unsane" or whatever they make big eyes at me and point at their forehead - because I'm not normal. I'm extreme and these people aren't used to it. You are. But that doesn't change the fact that this stuff appears extreme to other people, "normal" people (I know, I must be careful with the word normal, but I'm using it here). You are a freak in their eyes! and that will not bring you further ... it will bring you further in your own circle of other extreme people, but only there, nowhere else. Other people out there will regard you as crazy, as a "You need to get your head examined"-person. But it's all good. Maybe some people even want it like that, I can't be bothered. But I'm bothered about me! I don't want to become extreme and yet are it already! Yes, my dears, people are not taking me serious anymore, they are looking at me as a freak sometimes! And no, I don't want that anymore. I can't be the freak! I want to become a SERIOUS, NORMAL, UNEXTREME and SANE person, without any issues or others looking at me weird when I tell them what music I like! Because the older you and the people you talk to are getting, the more weird looks you will become! Because as I said already above, normal people don't have time for this kind of underground stuff!

612460[/snapback]

Ummm, yes, I am extreme but completely have no problem with it. I especially have no problem if 'so called normal ones' consider me as freak, it even satisfies me. I cannot stand 'normal ones', the ethical, modest, that only bitch to you coz you are different from them. You shouldn't be offended coz they don't get you or are not even trying to understand you. I think it is their problem not coping with you than you with them. I can stay normal and behave normally with anyone, being non extreme or extreme, you just have to find the way how to please both sides without being taken unserious anymore... There were plenty of people who don't take me seriously anymore due to very extensive usage of drugs and partying, but believe me, I DON'T GIVE A FLYING FUCK what will someone think of me in any case. :rolleyes::ph34r:

I listen to a lot of styles and I also visit different parties (if I visit parties, I'm not going out that much anymore), even when my main focus is on electronica and of course especially psy. Diversity is the key for me.

And I absolutely don't agree with RTP. I don't really know you so I can't judge if people really only not take you serious because of your musical taste. Either there is other stuff about you you don't want to see or the people you are talking about are rather strange (or a bit of both). Never the less I think it's sad that you port your doubts about yourself on the other psyheads. To me it seems as if this music or scene does not have a good image for your, even when you seem to be part of it. Why might that be? There are people of any kind around, some serious and some losers (to use your words), it's up to your point of view who you notice more.

You would be suprised to know that 90% of people dealing with psy trance as listeners,artists,dj's or whatever rarely listen to psy trance in their everyday life and in their house.

Psy trance is a style of music designed for partying mostly so people listen to other kinds of music when they are on their own.

There is no good psy trance being released in our days anyway.

You would be suprised to know that 90% of people dealing with psy trance as listeners,artists,dj's or whatever rarely listen to psy trance in their everyday life and in their house.

Psy trance is a style of music designed for partying mostly so people listen to other kinds of music when they are on their own.

612714[/snapback]

I listen to psytrance and goa a lot at home.

There is no good psy trance being released in our days anyway.

612714[/snapback]

Really? You don't even like the tracks on your own compilations? So you just do it for the money or what?! :huh: (this is you, right? http://www.discogs.com/artist/Detox+(3))

I got bored with it.

Don't know why. Probably too much parties.

also most my friends got bored of it.

That makes a big difference too, as long as the people who you really have fun with go to the parties it will never stop being fun.

I never went for the music, I can handle any kind of party!

as long as my buddies are there. And all the people I made fun with 2 years ago, are gone, have jobs, are stressed out in university, moved away, became full time junkie, etc

that's life <_<

612714[/snapback]

I agree for artists but disagree that dj's don't listen to psytrance in their everyday life

I agree for artists but disagree that dj's don't listen to psytrance in their everyday life

612746[/snapback]

I hope so... And well, it explains why so many djs are so crappy, they don't know their music (or is it because all their music sounds the same they only have to pre-listen one song, héhé) :P

I've always been insanely interested in music, whatever the genre was.

Somehow I seem to stock all that info in my brain, so when other ppl know everything about cars or football, I seem to know a lot about music...

But not only psy-trance ofcourse: metal-alternative-new wave-industrial-techno-house-d&b-chillout-ambient-dub-... If I discover some "sounds" I like, then I need to know everything about it :)

About the partying (damn, that's 10yrs now :o ): it just became a way of life, I guess.

Some people go to titty-bars, some collect post-stamps, others are body-builders or Jehova's Witnesses: well, I just collect music & enjoy dancing to it and I like meeting people who share those interests!

..to listen to psytrance all day long and visit parties for years and years and years without getting even a BIT bored by it. Damn at this moment i really really really had it with the whole genre, the parties etcetera, luckily i enjoy alot more genres and also visit gigs and stuff like that. But anyway, how do ya all do it!?..

612198[/snapback]

I also got bored of the music and parties and these days listen to only a couple of hours of psy a week. I think boredom with psy begins when you discover other genres can stir stronger emotions and touch you in ways psy no longer can, and although the quality of psy has certainly worsened over the years, I think people go off it because of a change within themselves.

Will listening to Psy-trance for decades make you go insane? Is it proof that you are insane? Or a social misantrope? Is Psy-trance even extreme?

I won't comment on damage that can be done by drugs (or booze); nor the ennui that can sometimes result from listening music or hanging around a particular scene too long.

But is psy-trance extreme? It certainly is underground to some degree in most places. And given the quality of much psy-trance - it probably should remain underground. But is it extreme?

Sure you can consider Psy-trance 'extreme' if you like -- especially when compared to Cliff Richards, Coldplay or Richard Claydermann. But there are plenty of extreme examples in other types of music. And it does not have to really lead to insanity if you listen to it for decades.

Bartok's 4th and 5th strong quartets are both extreme and intense - and at the same time probably the greatest quartets in the 20th century. The rape scene in Shostakovitch's Lady MacBeth of the Mtensk District is intense - the music sends shivers up my spine. Prokoviev's violin concerto is extreme. Even good old Beethoven could be extreme - his Grand Fugue for example. That was crazy for his age. So, was he insane? Or just hard of hearing...

I remembered listening to Phuture's acid house track in the 1980's for the first time. That song went on and on and on...the strange squeeky sounds were absolutely insane. Still listen to that track. And I am old. Still go to parties, too. Maybe I am not as crazy as I used to be, but never felt that I am going insane.

'Extreme' music and 'extreme' (or 'alternative') lifestyles may sometimes be associated together. However, there are plenty of relatively straight (whatever that means) people listening to 'extreme' music. Furthermore, many people who I have known to be ostensibly 'alternative' (and who make a great show of it), have in the end been much more 'conventional' and 'boring' on subsequent prodding.

Lastly, the problem with some of the more 'extreme' psy-trance is that it sounds just as stupid, shallow and juvenile as death metal, skate-board et al type of music that seem to co-exist in some foolish people's heads as prime example of cool, extreme music. This type of extremely dull music can never make you insane.

Pedro

Did you just call yourself a loser? :D

613075[/snapback]

well, yes and no

I rather may put it that I have fear that others might regard me as a loser.

Now, don't think I'm so fake and always do and say what other people like to see so that they classify me as normal, it's absolutely not like that. In fact I never cared, I never cared what other people thought, it even gave me some kick when I realized I was different to all those "mainstream morons" out there. Nothing bad about that. Back then. But now it somewhat got to my mind, that if I may continue in this "extreme" (Pedro put it nicely: "alternative") way I might literally end up alone in a hut in the mountains in the end.

Astro said I can't blame the music for everything. Well, that's only partly right. In my case the music was an important element why I used to become like I am now - because nobody else listened to the music and dismissed it as "utter repetitive crap" I stood very alone in the field and regarded the others as morons (back then, very far back then). I was not giving a shit what they thought and went on on the electronic path. Later on I began to open up and try to understand the others and the music they listened to, but it never really worked, not even now although I try to be tolerant and even have found for myself some other music styles that I like. Still I am of the opinion that due to this long time exposure to electronic music in its various forms, which has started already more than ten years ago with me, has influenced my life so much and also through years of the development of my body and my senses that I meanwhile think that I can already say that this stuff has influenced my brain. No, not like brainwashing or anything like that, maybe far more subtle, but I think it's there. I have gone through my teenages with this music - and only this music in the beginning ... it was first eurodance, then trance and techno, but it was the same family of music: rhythmic, monotonous, entrancing beats. Kinda. When you are only exposed to this form of music through years of development of your own body, senses, opinions, understandings and whatnot I think there is very well a certain way you develop. Not like brainwashing and anything like that, far more subtle, but you get slowly formed into one direction. And then you get a certain mindset, you know. This is not bad in itself at all as you still enjoy everything and all that, all well. But now when you suddenly are confronted with other music, it does't fit your mindset that well and can never become what electronic music is for you. You know, I sometimes really can not understand other forms of music - pop, rock, classical (especially classical, I already said that more than once on here) and also jazz and stuff. And that not even after prolonged exposure or whatever. I really can't understand or feel the music like other people - just like they cannot "get" my music, you know. But sometimes I'd really like to understand the other forms of music too...

And it's not only the music, it's the whole mindset that comes with it - and this is also the reason why I connect all the thinkings I have about this issue with the music. Especially unsanity, which is common in our scene (rather, even the fake poser hippies preach it (at least they preach)) - be it in an artistic way or just that the people have a lot of fantasy or that ther minds are damaged by the drugs - quickly hits borders to freak labelling with others. Seen from that point we are extreme - in our own way. And this extremity is - at least with me - not fully compatible with others. And you know, I don't wanna be the person that always has to take care what he says. That's not freedom for me. I don't enjoy that. And yet it is so ... with people out there I have made the experience that when I care what I'm saying and really only say "normal", "unextreme" things people actually regard me as a quite nice guy ... but when I start saying something uncommon, for example that I like to listen to psychedelic (it's already a mission for life to explain them the word psychedelic and what you actaully mean and that you are not taking drugs (which makes you appear even more crazy)) music - uuuh, oh, ticket to normality lost, welcome to being labelled as "queer".

I don't wanna appear queer or strange by default. And I don't wanna have to take care what I am saying. You get me?

I listen to psytrance and goa a lot at home.

From what i believe and know you represent (unfortunately or not) the minority of todays psy trance listeners.

Really? You don't even like the tracks on your own compilations?So you just do it for the money or what.

When i said that there is no good psy trance released today i obviously meant that the percentage of good cds released in our days is not only much lower than that of previous years but also too small if you take into consideration the fact that every month we got more than 70 releases but just 4-5 of them can be considered as good music.The pioneers of this music style lost their magic touch and interest into psy trance and the newcomers are more concerned about bookings,money and fame than making good music.

Oh by the way there are no money to be made through psy trance by just operating a trance label.Like i have said in the past the fastest way to become a millionaire is to be a billionaire and then open a trance label ;)

Thank God that Bjork,Jamiroquai and Depeche Mode are still into the music industry hehe.

but when I start saying something uncommon, for example that I like to listen to psychedelic (it's already a mission for life to explain them the word psychedelic and what you actaully mean and that you are not taking drugs (which makes you appear even more crazy)) music - uuuh, oh, ticket to normality lost, welcome to being labelled as "queer".

I don't wanna appear queer or strange by default. And I don't wanna have to take care what I am saying. You get me?

well mate I think it's mainly your area .. where psy is/was never popular at all??

here definitely even @normal@ people wouldn't automatically consider you crazy for listening to techno or psychedelic trance.

Plus its an insult to our beloved TranceChick!

612384[/snapback]

I'm not insulted in the least, but thanks for caring enough to point that out!

;)

My first & true love is and always will be................... Psytrance!

I've been listening to psy-trance/Psy-ambient non stop (ok, 90%) for about 8 years now, and I have been to parties at least once every 2 weeks for 6 years... and I'm not miserable :P

And I never got bored...

Why? Because I love this music by the heart...

None can imagine how much joy it brought i my life! It was the best thing that every happened to me, and as long as the music reflects my soul, makes me smile and feel good I see no reason why I would stop listening to it! I still get goosebumps from it every day... Something I rarely have with different music (in fact, while listening to different music I'm always looking for madness and melodies, which fails of course...)

612511[/snapback]

WORD Anoebis!!

That's the way I feel about this wonderful genre.

Pure joy... love of the music, the scene... the artists that produce the sounds I love!

I don't care what ppl think about me listening to psy 24/7. It's a total euphoric feeling from 5 a.m 'till I go to sleep.

At home, in the car or on my MP3 player!

Even when I'm at work... during lunch my headphones are on and I'm out in the parking lot dancing like a maniac!

I can't get enough! I'm hooked, addicted... it's in my blood... there's no help for me & I wouldn't want it if there was!

:D

612746[/snapback]

Me too.

Our Dj's listen at home and in their vehicles. They're always preparing sets for the next party. More often than not, one of them will call me and want me to hear the track(s) they're thinking of or wanting to use in the set(s).

It seems that everyone I know (personally) who's in the scene listens to either Psy, Full On, Goa

or Progressive for at least 2-3 hours per day.

:D

Guest The Journey Man Project

..to listen to psytrance all day long and visit parties for years and years and years without getting even a BIT bored by it. Damn at this moment i really really really had it with the whole genre, the parties etcetera, luckily i enjoy alot more genres and also visit gigs and stuff like that. But anyway, how do ya all do it!?..

612198[/snapback]

I listened to psytrance nonstop for like 5 years, then went back top my roots in acid techno and drum n bass\jungle... now I listent o these styles as well as my fav metal bands... trance rarely gets played any more for me, even though it is the majority of my collection... I just find that now it does my head in to much... it's a bit to serious and as I'm getting older I like music that's more about fun and just having a good time, less about being technical and having the best productions skills... hence why I'm spending all my time at drum n bass and commercial clubs... the music might not be hardcore underground techno n' trance but I actually find I'm going home on more of high than I was from psytrance parties, and call me lazy, but I much prefer a 10 minute drive to a club than 2 hour drive into the country side to use shithouse toilets, pay extortionisist prices and get little in return except going home often wondering why the hell I wasted my money on such a thing... maybe I'm just to old or to burnt out after lik 8-10 years of the stuff... the scene is storng in me, and I love the ambient and chillout side of it... just that the trance side no longer grabs me muich... I can listen to maybe 3 psytrance tracks before getting shitbored, but even a drum n bass cd from 10 years ago sounds more fresh and energetic to me and I'll play it endlessly for a week...

keep yer eyes out, in the next month or two my collection is going to get a mssive clearance (not so much oldskool stuff tho)... like 100+ cd's... all psytrance...

Will listening to Psy-trance for decades make you go insane? Is it proof that you are insane? Or a social misantrope? Is Psy-trance even extreme?

I won't comment on damage that can be done by drugs (or booze); nor the ennui that can sometimes result from listening music or hanging around a particular scene too long.

But is psy-trance extreme? It certainly is underground to some degree in most places. And given the quality of much psy-trance - it probably should remain underground. But is it extreme?

Sure you can consider Psy-trance 'extreme' if you like -- especially when compared to Cliff Richards, Coldplay or Richard Claydermann. But there are plenty of extreme examples in other types of music. And it does not have to really lead to insanity if you listen to it for decades.

Bartok's 4th and 5th strong quartets are both extreme and intense - and at the same time  probably the greatest quartets in the 20th century. The rape scene in Shostakovitch's Lady MacBeth of the Mtensk District is intense - the music sends shivers up my spine. Prokoviev's violin concerto is extreme. Even good old Beethoven could be extreme - his Grand Fugue for example. That was crazy for his age. So, was he insane? Or just hard of hearing...

I remembered listening to Phuture's acid house track in the 1980's for the first time. That song went on and on and on...the strange squeeky sounds were absolutely insane. Still listen to that track. And I am old. Still go to parties, too. Maybe I am not as crazy as I used to be, but never felt that I am going insane.

'Extreme' music and 'extreme' (or 'alternative') lifestyles may sometimes be associated together. However, there are plenty of relatively straight (whatever that means) people listening to 'extreme' music. Furthermore, many people who I have known to be ostensibly 'alternative' (and who make a great show of it), have in the end been much more 'conventional' and 'boring' on subsequent prodding.

Lastly, the problem with some of the more 'extreme' psy-trance is that it sounds just as stupid, shallow and juvenile as death metal, skate-board et al type of music that seem to co-exist in some foolish people's heads as prime example of cool, extreme music. This type of extremely dull music can never make you insane.

Pedro

613072[/snapback]

Good post, pedro. Very interesting read.