Best Dark Psytrance with melodies?

Jon Cocco

What are the BEST dark Psy/Goa Trance albums ever?

I'm missing some. That's why I opened this thread. Please contribute. Posted Image

In Alphebetical order

- Battle of Future Buddhas: Twin Sharkfins

- COP: Urban Alien

- Cydonia: In Fear of a Red Planet

- Dark Nebula: Robotic Tongue

- Dark Soho: Sun Spot

- Dark Soho: Cumbustion

- Darshan: Awakening

- Delta: Scizoeffective

- Double Dragon: Continuum

- Four Carry Nuts: Mechanical Age

- Fractal Glider: Parasite

- Ghreg On Earth: Single Weaver

- Infected Mushroom: B.P. Empire

- Infected Mushroom: The Gathering

- Juno Reactor: Beyond the Infinite

- Juno Reactor: Bible of Dreams

- Juno Reactor: Shango

- Juno Reactor: Labyrinth

- Ka-Sol: Fairytale

- Menis: Temporal Insanity

- MFG: Project Genesis

- Miranda: Asijya

- Miranda: Northern Lights

- Miranda: Real Rush

- Miranda: Phenomena

- Passenger: For All Mankind

- Penta: Horn Please

- Penta: Funraiser

- Penta: Pentafiles

- Psychaos: Cause and Effect

- Psychoz: 2012 No Return

- Sandman: Witchcraft

- Scatterbrain: Infernal Angel

- Semsis: Letting Go

- Talamasca: Beyond the Mask

- Talpa: Art of Being Non

- Tando: Multimoods

- Toi Doi: Technologic

- Xenomorph: Demagoguery of the Obscurants

- Xenomorph: Qulippoth

- Xenomorph: Cassandra Nightmare

- X-Dream: Radio

- UX: Ultimate Experience

Does ANYONE know of any dark Goa/Psy albums or on par with the above that includes strong melody work?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally recommend Tales from the Dark Forest by Stone Age Records and, of course, the Schlabbaduerst compilations (where you'll find lots of BotFB and Ka-Sol tracks better than the best stuff on Twin Sharkfins (an album I really enjoy, mind you)). The latter comps are not readily available in stores, but can be bought from the Schlab site, and although my purchases have been hassle-free, I've seen some people complain of long delivery times. But they're well worth the potential wait, in my opinion. ;)

The first 4 tracks of the Ka Sol album *shameless self promotion*

but also the album of

Ency....gea or something, a very weird, chemical name, Macedonian artist but damn good melodic dark music... :) (when I am at home I can search for the name...)

Otherwise:

- Scatterbrain 10/10

- Kluster first album 9.5/10

- UX (well duh)

- Electric Forest

- Promon 10/10 (I ADORE that album, some more forest melodies)

Ency....gea or something, a very weird, chemical name, Macedonian artist but damn good melodic dark music... :) (when I am at home I can search for the name...)

610546[/snapback]

Encephalopaticys "Psychotermic Meditation" :)

try aslo VA "Hungry4Hungary" it has some tracks with nice melodies

You have tried the new Penta album?

I might also suggest Lemurians - Secret Message (2004).

610520[/snapback]

yes and yes...

Add to that list... VA- Neverending Story, DejaVu Fabrique, the first Mr. Peculiar Album- Elements, some Electrypnose, some Pondscum, some Terminator, some Xyla....some Dissociactive...and Activate Morlock (as a blast from the past)

First, thank you everyone for your time and suggestions! These recommendations will likely help others also who also are looking for the BEST newer dark psytrance with meloldies out there! Which ones have I missed? The last recent dark psy album (with melodies) I bought because it rocked was Ghreg On Earth: Sigilweaver, so that's an update of another sound I thinks very good in the "newer dark psy genre." And there's more.

Have u tried psykovsky ? The wishful sinful track off his debut album is quite melodious

suria - dark side of the sun ?

Rinkadink - rabbbit from darkside ?

610345[/snapback]

Ha. Yes, Psykovsky's "Wishful Sinful" track is my fave off his debut album. I wish he made more tracks as good and better. With Psykovsky, I know many people seem to have been impressed with his debut release. I like tracks Wishful Sinful and Beloochi Remix, but some tracks seem overkilled in their own noise over the repetition. Don't get me wrong, it's hard, dark, twisted psytrance. But is it me or are most of his song very repetitive...with tons of twisted sounds thrown in all around and on top of the hard, repetitive beat?? I've heard tracks where the only thing changing are the sounds while the songs initial bass/beat structure never really develops. It's a harsh, rough style with some definite skills in being what it is but not my type as a whole. I sure like those two songs though.

Samples for Psykovsky: Debut here:

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=5352

Rinkadink I bought and found less engaging on more listens. It starts out interesting though and has some very cool songs...(dark with melodies!)...It was definitely one of the better dark psy releases of 2004 I felt.

Samples to Rinkadink: Rabbit from Darkside here:

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=3887

Suria: Dark Side Of The Sun is decent, it has melodies and it's definitely dark, but I'm looking for something with more juice, punch...as I write more from other suggestions you'll see what I mean and thanks for mentioning it! It's not bad, just not great IMHO the track names are cooler than the actual tracks. :D

Samples for Suria: Dark Side of the Moon here:

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=4328

Procs?

or what about Flying Scorpions?

610353[/snapback]

Thanks for the Flying Scorpions recommendation. I never heard of them before and they don't sound all that dark to me...but neither does Miranda and she's called "dark psytrance" when you read the inside flip of one or two of her album covers. Procs sounded definitely different but I had difficulty getting into that "Stuck in the oven with me" album. Few songs stood out to me as really good or great. It's certainly not bad tho...true there are some cool melodies.

Samples for Procs here:

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=5205

I totally recommend "Tales from the Dark Forest "by Stone Age Records and, of course, the Schlabbaduerst compilations.

610359[/snapback]

Funny you mention that...Tales From the Dark Forest is actually the other comp I ordered along with the There is No Tomorrow one I mention above when I said two comps in the past 2 years. The "Tales...Forest" one I didn't find as memorable although it had two songs I liked enough to buy, (tracks 2, 7) because of the melodies, but a handful of songs were nothing great I felt. Anyways thanks for the suggestion. The Schlabbaduerst comps are definitely interesting because there's always 2-3 songs I really like one them while other songs are often too heavy or harsh. Regardless, I often like the BotFB songs on comps and I wishSchlabbaduerst comps were sold on psyshop and saikosounds because I trust those sites.

You have tried the new Penta album?

I might also suggest Lemurians - Secret Message (2004).

610520[/snapback]

I wasn't too impressed when I first heard the newer Penta album because I found Penta: Pentafiles superior. I'll hear the samples again though.

Samples for Penta: Funraiser here:

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=5014

Lemurians - Secret Message I really like and it's been in my collection. It's good!! With "Lemurians: Secret Message" and "Space Monkey: Psychotic Episode," I learned that there exists quality, creative dark Full On psytrance. Thanks for mentioning them!

Samples to Lemurians - Secret Message here:

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=3923

The Misted Muppet - From the legend

has a quite Dark feeling to me. I realy like it...One of the few albums with more than 140 BPM that i like..

610532[/snapback]

Yes, I really like and have this one. I agree it has a dark feel to it. Recent stuff like Misted Muppet, Talpa, Nystagmous (that Tommy track is GOOD-dark with melodies) and Ghreg On Earth is what I consider some of the best newer psytrance "with dark tracks with melodies." Those synth/symphonic sounds on Misted Muppet are very cool sounding.

The first 4 tracks of the Ka Sol album *shameless self promotion*

but also the album of

Otherwise:

- Scatterbrain 10/10

- Kluster first album 9.5/10

- UX (well duh)

- Electric Forest

- Promon 10/10 (I ADORE that album, some more forest melodies)

610546[/snapback]

Oh, haha, I thought you were promoting a new one for 2006. Don't you know I bought that one already and posted a review on Ka-Sol? :D ... And UX I can't find anywhere available to buy for years now but one day I am going to buy that damn thing. Promon: Funky Fumes sounds dark with bubbly/crunchy sounds. I deff like parts of it and the children singing on one of the tracks is unexpected cool! The albums has some very cool sounds and melodies combined...and random unexpected parts for starters. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Samples for Promon: Funky Fumes here.

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=2658

Encephalopaticys "Psychotermic Meditation"  :)

try aslo VA "Hungry4Hungary" it has some tracks with nice melodies

610550[/snapback]

Oh wow...this is the one then, heh thanks!! Checking out now.

Add to that list... VA- Neverending Story, DejaVu Fabrique, the first Mr. Peculiar Album- Elements, some Electrypnose, some Pondscum, some Terminator, some Xyla....some Dissociactive...and Activate Morlock (as a blast from the past)

610551[/snapback]

You know I've been trying Mr. Peculiar's album to buy now for some time. It's underrated cool. Checking out some of the others now. Thanks!!

I cannot recommend any new comp, but for my feeling Frantic Noise and collaborations could fit for what you are looking for.

Check the album "The Nordland Orchestra" and then especially Track 9&10. Track 10 is not from Frantic Noise himself (Shlowers - Helioboy) but this comes very close to the ibex track you mentioned.

Check: http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=5985

Would be curious what you think about this, as I am also searching for these darkpsy tracks with this late 80's early 90's gothic/industrial approach.

Ghreg on earth does not cease to amaze me, this guy is just doing stuff at another level right now.

Electrypnose has gone mad and there's 150+ material on the limbo that sounds like Cosmo but with eletrypnose leads... it's tatsy...

i'm waiting for new mind distortion system... the first samplers have been promising & so is the case with Hishiryo, even if Dejan's influence is still very marked with the 'night' time stuff... Athriom is also cooking some tasty dishes lately...

X-DREAM - RADIO ( 98 )

MENIS - TEMPORARY INSANITY ( 98 )

PSYCHAOS - CAUSE AND EFFECT ( 99 )

TOI DOI - TECHNOLOGIC ( 00 )

I haven't seen those ones on your list from the early period and they are all A MUSTS ;)

Miranda dark??! Juno Reactor dark ? personally i think these ones hardly have any dark edge...

well.

Battle Of The Future Buddhas - Demonoizer

Electrypnose - Le Tireur Des Ficelles (2006)

Penta_-_Unreleased-Promo-2002 (Unreleased, in the style of Pentafiles)

Toi Doi , Psychaos , as already mentioned...

Schlabbaduerst Rekkords Volumes 1 , 2 , 5 [although 2 is reffered to as 'morning' music hehe :o I still think you will find it dark enough..and it has enough melodic parts as well..]

You coul try some older Dark Nebula stuff. In particular the tracks "Structural Failure" or "Cyber Cult" ... these are huge.

More in the full-on area, but also likeable should be Shift - Excession. Great album.

Then there is Four Carry Nuts, side project of Tim Schuldt who you should know. Great Psy (a little bit of Dark Soho influence), with a goth/industrial feeling. Some tracks are quite melodic. Recommended.

Insider tip: Fighter Project - Coma S.S. (!) ..promo track. You could find it on P2P networks.

Oh, before I forget: Vegetal - Free Thinkers are Dangerous (the track) ... a massive majestic dark uplifting tune. Awesome.

Psyfactor - Good and Evil also comes to mind.

Manibus - Escape is another album I quite enjoyed. Very cold and "icy" atmosphere, good melodies, overall quite techy.

Humm, most other good stuff has been mentioned already.

But I need to say again you must try Psykovsky - Debut. It's pure dementia and pure genius in one. One guy at the reviews section said it sounds like Pleiadians played backwards, that is very true.

Hehe, and some self promotion from me too. I think my style quite fits your description. So I think it wouldnt hurt if you check out my promo album here:

http://www.cybernetika.de/cybernetika_-_promo_1_2006.rar

double post. *Oops!*

I'm moving my next updated responses to page 2 so ppl see my replies. :)

New updates and feedback on most recommendations. I'm also updating via my second big post on PAGE 1 and this one, etc...as I hear more from your recommendations so check those places if you posted on that page and are interested. :)

Check the album "The Nordland Orchestra" and then especially Track 9&10. Track 10 is not from Frantic Noise himself (Shlowers - Helioboy) but this comes very close to the ibex track you mentioned.

Check: http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=5985

610577[/snapback]

I really like this one!! The Nordland Orchestra is very dark and groovy with MELODIES!!! I think melodies really add character and compliment dark psytrance if kept in tone with the mood as they do here. This album gets climactic in parts which I really like! Thank you for this!! :)

Again, samples here:

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=5985

X-DREAM - RADIO ( 98 )

MENIS - TEMPORARY INSANITY ( 98 )

PSYCHAOS - CAUSE AND EFFECT ( 99 )

TOI DOI - TECHNOLOGIC ( 00 )

I haven't seen those ones on your list from the early period and they are all A MUSTS ;)

610631[/snapback]

First of all, "MENIS: TEMPORAORY INSANITY" is a great one I don't have or know much about. This is another example of what I'm looking for!!

Menis: Temporary Insanity samples:

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ease.asp?id=243

"TOI DOI: TECHNOLOGIC" I heard of and never heard. It's dark and there are definitely some kickass melodies!! Some of these sound more goatrance-influenced as Tandu is. Great reccomendation! Thanks Seraph!!

Toi Doi: Technologic samples:

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ease.asp?id=957

X-Dreams: Radio is classic of course and Psychaos, I have both. They've made some excellent dark psy/goa songs!!

Miranda dark??! Juno Reactor dark ? personally i think these ones hardly have any dark edge...

Battle Of The Future Buddhas - Demonoizer

Electrypnose - Le Tireur Des Ficelles (2006)

610685[/snapback]

I agree Miranda isn't that dark to me, more like nighttime music. And Juno Reactor has made some very dark songs ("Children of the Night" for starters) but JR isn't a dark psytrance group. They are light, dark, spiritual, etc. However, those two artists have made darker goa/psytrance songs that came to my mind when I was compiling the list. They're considered great by many so I added them, and sure, not every great dark psy album is there I presume. Miranda's inside flip on Real Rush or Northern Lights actually says Dark psytrance I believe, but it's more "intense nighttime tone and feel" in it's style than it is truly "dark."

I tried BotFB's Demonoizer several times for some reason and just could never get into it. Tracks I like most by Botfb are on their debut Twin Sharkfins album:

- Tigerhill

- Neuroglider

- Lord Of The Dance

- Marsmellow (Miditation Mix)"

That last ambient/goa song is like a visual trip into Hell on a ship going through the lava deep down in caves underneath the Earth or another realm or planet

Electrypnose - Le Tireur Des Ficelles I was actually sampling again the other day and I really like it. Thanks for mentioning it here. It's pretty good and I might buy it. There aren't many melodies but the production is very good and he really likes to play around with sounds and alterating them via mixing, reverses, echoes, speeds, etc..and he does it with character and style. Thansks!

People can sample it here:

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=5540

You coul try some older Dark Nebula stuff. In particular the tracks "Structural Failure" or "Cyber Cult" ... these are huge.

More in the full-on area, but also likeable should be Shift - Excession. Great album.

Then there is Four Carry Nuts, side project of Tim Schuldt who you should know. Great Psy (a little bit of Dark Soho influence), with a goth/industrial feeling. Some tracks are quite melodic. Recommended.

Insider tip: Fighter Project - Coma S.S.  (!) ..promo track. You could find it on P2P networks.

Oh, before I forget: Vegetal - Free Thinkers are Dangerous (the track) ... a massive majestic dark uplifting tune. Awesome.

610749[/snapback]

Dark Nebula's song called Cyber Cult is good, but the Structural Failure song on their Robotic Tongue album excellent!! 1:07 into that track is awesome. Stuff like THIS is another example of what I am looking for. Great recommendation!! Thanks!!

Samples here:

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=4432

I bought Four Carry Nuts: Mechanical Age when it first came out and love several songs, especially tracks 1 and 7...(1-2 others I find great also). It's high octane, dark, industrial/metal influenced psytrance with some great melodies and energy!! I was overall very impressed with songs on this album and I'm NOT often impressed as I was here with tracks 1 and 7 and 1 (and at least wo-thirds the album is both good or great IMHO with no bad tracks). I'm not big on the few guitar tracks but they're not common on this one.

Sample it here:

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=4065

I tried BotFB's Demonoizer several times for some reason and just could never get into it. Tracks I like most by Botfb are on their debut Twin Sharkfins album:

- Tigerhill

- Neuroglider

- Lord Of The Dance

...and the final really dark ambient one called "Marsmellow (Miditation Mix)"...that last song is like a visual trip into Hell on a ship going through the lava deep down in caves underneath the Earth or another realm or planet

mmm, no Leave The World Behind ? That's my favourite track from Twin Sharkfins..

If you like their Downtempo stuff check the Schlabbaduerst Rekkords 06 compilation, it's full of similar chill/downtempo ...

Yeah electrypnose rulez and I think you will like his chill/ambient album as well, titled Subliminal Melancholies.

Btw, has DARSHAN - AWAKENING album been mentioned in this thread?

To EVERYONE who posted recommendations on this thread:

Please check my big posts on page 1 and above this post for updates on my feedback and responses to your albums! I've added many words and links to samples (to many of your recommendations) to make these more accessible for anyone interested in checking out. There are some very cool things listed througout these two pages. I'm will be ordering a handful of them.

Just some of your albums I didn't know about before and really like are:

Dark Nebula: Rototic Tongue was mentioned for songs like Structual Failure. I heard this and found it easily one of the best dark psytrance songs I've heard in years. It's GREAT!!, I've just added a short review on it in the 2004 reviews section on this album.

Encephalopaticys: Psychotermic Meditation .... Holy shit this came out in 2006??!! Where are the reviews on this site?? It's atmospheric (ambience) at times darker/fantasy sounding. At other times beautiful such as in the self-titled track "Psychotermic Meditation." Some strong melodies present. I didn't add the samples before so please, samples here: :D

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=5800

Menis: Temporal Insanity ... I think those who enjoy classic Tandu: Multimoods will generally like this!! It has some very cool melodies too!

Nordland Orchestra (album) ... Very cool, chaotic (sometimes intense) with some melodies. This ones a shade darker than many of the others!

Toi Doi: Technologic ... Another interesting dark one with some great melodies.

mmm, no Leave The World Behind ? That's my favourite track from Twin Sharkfins..

If you like their Downtempo stuff check the Schlabbaduerst Rekkords 06 compilation, it's full of similar chill/downtempo ...

Yeah electrypnose rulez and I think you will like his chill/ambient album as well, titled Subliminal Melancholies.

Btw, has DARSHAN - AWAKENING album been mentioned in this thread?

611447[/snapback]

Oh of course...Darshan's on there...check the list at the top of page 1 to see Darshan: Awakening. ;)

Yes! I recently ordered Electrypnose: Subliminal Melodies. It sounds really good and one of my fave chill/ambient albums of 2006. I recently posted impressions in the review thread for this album on this site.

As far as Botfb go...I find their style so distinct and original. People either love or hate them and due to the intricies of sounds, effects, frequencies used, some of their tracks have this repetitive HYPNOTIC effect...tracks that work differently according to different listeners. So "Leave The World Behind" for some reason doesn't put me in the zone like others I listed for that same "hynotic" reason I find difficult to explain. You probably know what I mean. Botfb sound has the power to trance or irritate right away due to it's subtleties...it's very mood influeced to enjoy IMHO.

I'll check out Schlabbaduerst Rekkords 06. I simply wish those were more available to buy elsewhere because I've heard complains of delivery problems by few people over the internet. I find some good Botfb tracks on several Schlabbaduerst comps I've heard. :)