Koxbox - U-Turn

abasio

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Rino--> I think you have to remember that Krell just stated his own opinion and you might not agree with it but you certainly cannot bash him in the way you did. I was disappointed a bit from this album as well, mostly because of the lack of a story or coherency between most of the parts. The first 4 tracks are very weak IMHO and only in the last ones where he collaborates with Ian Ion, X-Dream and more he really stands up to KoxBox standards. Compared to The Great Unknown it's weak indeed but compared to other stuff released in 2006 this is amongst the best releases for sure.

@Rino--> I think you have to remember that Krell just stated his own opinion and you might not agree with it but you certainly cannot bash him in the way you did.

I respect each and every opinion when it is constructive, and when it is explained. I cannot stand reviews going like: "It's the best CD I have ever heard!!! I give it a 10/10!!! Go out and buy it!!!" or "It just sucks. Worst music ever!!! Stay away from this garbage"!!!...

Hello?!? Some explanation? At least one good reason for your judgement? Is that so hard?

I respect each and every opinion when it is constructive, and when it is explained. I cannot stand reviews going like: "It's the best CD I have ever heard!!! I give it a 10/10!!! Go out and buy it!!!" or "It just sucks. Worst music ever!!! Stay away from this garbage"!!!...

Hello?!? Some explanation? At least one good reason for your judgement? Is that so hard?

I'm not sure he owns you pretty much anything. Are you paying for his services or something like that?

I'm not sure he owns you pretty much anything. Are you paying for his services or something like that?

No, it just doesn't do justice to other users reading the so called "review", and let's not even start about the artist or the album, and the effort put in it. Anyways, this is the wrong place to discuss this. Take care and peace!

And there is nothing to pay for, anyways. What services did he provide?

No, it just doesn't do justice to other users reading the so called "review", and let's not even start about the artist or the album, and the effort put in it. Anyways, this is the wrong place to discuss this. Take care and peace!

And there is nothing to pay for, anyways. What services did he provide?

The service Krell provides here and on some other forums is much more valuable than many essay long reviewers. The man knows his stuff and if he decides that this album deserves 4 words than shall be it. My review for the recent Pleiadians album had 2 words and it was deleted on Isratrance. The words were "Utter Crap". Sometimes it's not the amount that counts but the thought. Now get with the program and sign for Guy Cohen's psy trance reviews bulletin.

1. My review for the recent Pleiadians album had 2 words and it was deleted on Isratrance. The words were "Utter Crap".

2. Sometimes it's not the amount that counts but the thought.

1. Probably was a good decision... to delete it...

2. I agree with that, but you and Krell obviously lacked both in your reviews, having that your got deleted, and same should have been done for his :lol: .

And no thanx, I'm actually not that much into Cohen's bulletin...

Hello rino, I love Zagreb its a beautiful city!

I just got this album. Overall I would say I like it.

I don't have any of the other albums from Koxbox so I have nothing to compare it with.

That is probably a good thing though.

I've only listened to it a few times, but I already know I like the last 5 tracks best with 'Side Affect' being my favorite.

The music is well produced and sounds quite well thought-out.

The first two tracks just don't do it for me, you could say they are so-so.

It is #5 that starts to get really good for me so I may end up skipping the first ones on later listens.

I hate long reviews so I am not going to discribe each and every track. Everyone has their own opinion anyway.

Overall I would give it 8/10

1. Probably was a good decision... to delete it...

2. I agree with that, but you and Krell obviously lacked both in your reviews, having that your got deleted, and same should have been done for his :lol: .

And no thanx, I'm actually not that much into Cohen's bulletin...

Dear Mr Rino

As you might have noticed, I did not post a "review" but merely a comment on the album as such. I dont post reviews on international sites these days, I do however write them for our danish website in danish.

In case you would like to see, how many words I am able to conjure up, if I want to go into depth with something, you can refer to this article http://www.isratrance.com/www/general/arti...ticle.php?id=16

It is not always, that I have the time to write that much, I write a lot on many forums, meaning I contribute a lot.... actually, most of my free time is spent on trying to create something for our culture.

I think, I gave this album more of a comment than the following contributors before me in this thread.

- phatpat

- qa2pir

- Time_Trap

I could go on adding names, would be no problem. I dont mind short comments, I think all who is willing to contribute with their honest opinion should be welcome to do so. You should ask yourself why you choose to "attack" me. I dont have to explain every word I say to you or anyone else. I have my own subjective experience of art and how it might relate to other pieces of art, that is what I wrote here - Though short, its there and its honest. Reviews are not about justifying your experience as a listener, but only communicating it honestly.

As you can see, I am certainly no idiot, and really, should you be putting such words in your mouth ? I think it is totally uncalled for.

About the album - a bit more detailed, just for you Mr Rino

Yes, I think it lacks diversity (and originality). When you look at an album like "The Great Unknown", you have an album where you move from downbeat to almost dark psy, covering all the ground in between. You have tracks like "Lunar Bin" pounding away @ 146 BPM slowly breaking into dubby grooves... Its a masterpiece of its time.

With "Forever After", you have an album released long long time ago (mid 1990ies), where much other stuff released was melody driven Cut N Paste goa trance, whilst "Forever After" goes new ways, with its totally organic sound... also presenting the very deep 13 minute long track "Neurobiotic".

The album "Dragontales" was never a favourite of mine, the sound is too polished and flat in my view.

When I hear a Koxbox album, I hope for it to live up to the last one, or even surpass it. What makes a Classic is that it sets new limits for its genre, surpassing earlier releases and starting off new trends. Koxbox, with "The Great Unknown" certainly achieved this and more, again "Lunar Bin" is basicly the mother of all dark psychedelic trance, along with Paps "Vibes from the Other Side".

Like I wrote, U-Turn is a good compilation of tracks, but as an album, telling a story and creating true diversity, its fallen behind the earlier Koxbox standard, and does not live up to its name. This doesnt make it bad music, just means that some of the earlier works are more outstanding pieces of art.

We look for Koxbox to break the limits and set new standards, that didnt happen. Instead of creating a trend, the Koxbox sound latched on to already existing trends. Theres a difference there.

Mr Rino dont go around calling people idiots when they try to contribute as much as they can, not only is it rude, but if you call people idiots for contributing with their honest and frank opinions on these matters, what you do is only give them less of an interest in contributing to our culture in the first place.

When you do that, you are the idiot.

- Krell

Mr Rino dont go around calling people idiots when they try to contribute as much as they can, not only is it rude, but if you call people idiots for contributing with their honest and frank opinions on these matters, what you do is only give them less of an interest in contributing to our culture in the first place.

Don't call me mister... I'm only about to reach 22.

See, I don't mind you writting your "updtaed" review, as it explains your viewpoints more clearly. Not that I agree with 'em, not that I'm supposed to, as we all after all have our own individual ways to grade and classify music, and as long you explain your judgments about an album, I respect it. And I'm sorry about all the verbal onslaught, but I really do consider it to be idiotic to express your opinion without giving it further thought or explenation.

P.S.: And, as for me, I personally never expected for U Turn to reach the levels of Dragon Tales (which I found to be more than just flat and too polished) or Forever After, as I always thought Koxbox began to lose it immediately after Peter Candy abbandoned ship. Kind of the same feeling as I had about the Pleiadians/Etnica when Carlo Paterno left. Maybe that's why I tend to enjoy U Turn more... I just knew from the start that one original member with a bunch of hot guest stars from the psy trance scene cannot even come close to recreating the groundbreaking musical moments of the original line up.

Don't call me mister... I'm only about to reach 22.

Then I can call you master.

and as long you explain your judgments about an album, I respect it. And I'm sorry about all the verbal onslaught, but I really do consider it to be idiotic to express your opinion without giving it further thought or explenation.

Dear Master Rino

Well, you see, I did explain my judgements on the album in the first place, I just didnt elaborate on them in detailed analysis. I explained that I found that

Quote Myself "Compared to the other Koxbox albums this lacks in diversity, imagination and evolution."

So, I guess thats what I thought right ? Next step would be to perhaps say a little about why I am of that opinion which I do here.

Qoute Myself "For me, the best Koxbox albums are "Forever After" and "The Great Unknown", those are true classics, someting "U-Turn" will never be."

Where you can see that I compare the album to their earlier works, 2 albums in particular. I explain why "U-Turn" is a let down for me, since it will never be a classic like the two other albums I mention.

And yes, I could go on and on in details about it - but thats basicly all there is to say, and as you see, though brief I do express my opinion, and I do offer further thought and explanation on it.

What you might be missing also, is that I like the music on the album, I djed tracks from it last time I was on a lineup, and I plan to do so again. It is just not the "classic" for which I could have hoped.

Anyways, a "fun" situation to be in for me, usually its the other way around "Krell you write toooo much!!!" "You must make your point shorter" e.t.c. :-) I accept your apology Master Rino, always nice to know people like in depth information on something.

- Krell

@ Rino

Short comments aren't bad & I really don't think they should be deleted.

Say Krell has the same taste in music as me

a comment (however short) saying he thought it wasn't good would be useful to me don't you think?

I for one would like to see more people posting their comments about albums in these review sections. I think a lot of people are put of by people like you who would slag them off for it!

here are my comments on the album. :lol:

peace guys ;) ,

just ignore :D

well considering we are in the review section let's talk about koxbox,

since my previous post I have listenend more and more to this album on speakers and headphones,

and it's quite good, super...

I realized that koxbox always has his own style but just goes with the evolution, like we see the evolution of the space tribe sound...

crap

this album have nothing to do with Dragon Tales

todays psytrance is not psytrance. todays psytrance is unhearable. todays psytrance have no respect to my taste. i love powerful pure psychedelic trance.

crap

Another insightful comment... Why won't you judge it on its own merits, without comparing it to their old music. You've heard about 'evolution', right?

U-turn is easily on of the best releases in 2006 and you'll get a confirmation for that in best-of-2006 thread results. Maybe there's something wrong with your taste, then?

todays psytrance is not psytrance. todays psytrance is unhearable. todays psytrance have no respect to my taste. i love powerful pure psychedelic trance.

I hope you're being sarcastic? :unsure:

crap

Man you are boring! You really want the same old albums just to be copied again & again aren't you! Even Radi has a more varied taste than you. At least he tries to try new things.

Just stop it Ale! Psy is not for you. Go listen to Britney :angry:

• 4 weeks later...

Within the niche that Goa trance is Koxbox early on managed to create their own niche. Literally within seconds any learned listener can detect Forever After or Dragon Tales from the crowd – how many acts can you say that about? So how does Koxbox fare in 2006 with a sound much more reminiscent of other contemporary acts.

Still like an act with a statement! True, Koxbox has embraced the full-on sound and in a sense become a follower rather than a leader, but if you’re worried that means Koxbox has abandoned offering something for the mind, you can rest assured that Koxbox is still ahead of the crowd. This is dance music, no doubt, but very intelligent so and packed with enough details and ideas to make this equally enjoyable at home.

The first half of the album could possibly be characterized as intelligent full-on while the latter sticks to a more aggressive techno-true sound. With tracks 6 and 7 This Can’t Be Real and Acid Drome being the masterpieces here. I dare any dance floor not to move to this! And any psychohead not to start packing and enter spaceship psychedelia.

Comparisons with Forever After and Dragon Tales are probably just as unavoidable as they are superfluous. Koxbox has long since turned a corner and even if their distinct characteristica is not as present as it used to be, Koxbox is still an act to watch out for. As I heard it stated somewhere: The ol’ man’s still showing the youngsters how it’s done <_<

Not an easy one to review...

Very incoherent and more of a compilation than an album. In one hand Frank'e follows the trend and gives his interpretation of the Full-on genre in the first half of the album, than towards the middle of the album the sound becomes less intense but more intricate and than there are 3 tunes with Ian Ion that sound exactly like the Kox Box that I've learned to love.

My personal opinion is that this is a totally worthy album. It has at least 5 excellent tracks that will surely blow any given dancefloor. Although it has absolutely no story or flow between tracks (only towards the end) and it surely doesn't get anywhere near the insanely high standards they have set with The Great Unknown, it still is a good purchase for home listener and essential for Dj's.

8/10

Favorites: 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7!!,8!!,9!!

Move the fuck on Ale! Quit living in the past you grumpy old man!

Pardon my French, but this is something that needed to be said... Thanks, carry on!

the problem is, I don't think he experienced the past, that his biggest frustration I guess :unsure:

but then again I agree with your statement DP...

on topic...

well about the space tribe sound I understand, space tribe has always been different because of it's sound

koxbox more because of it's concept,

in that case I agree, the new concept of koxbox is more original compared to the new space tribe sound

• 2 weeks later...