Danceable chillout!

Snapinho

Yeah, but really though.

I've heard some chillout-sets which were amazing, exactly because they were danceable. And it's not as obvious as you might think... You gotta find the right edge between danceable stuff, which people can still lay down and listen to.

I like it groovy and funky! I'm just listening Trentemollers 'Last Resort' and some of it does sound like what I mean. What I'm looking for is, I think, click house, click hop, minimal techy stuff, dream and bass, but also more upbeat chillout. What would you think would fit in a chillout?

You know, as a chillout-dj you don't always get the respect you'd like and I'm fine with that. I know and don't care that not as many people listen and react to my music, but I love it anyway. And what I also love is creativity, originality and spontaneity. Gotta keep yourself improving! Anyhoo, I'd love to put together a danceable yet still chillable set. So:

what do you guys consider good music for both relaxing and moving your body? Gimme names, albums, titles, labels and elaborate please. Eager to hear what you think! :)

Guest Astro Cortex

I don't think I know much about click house, but if by "upbeat chillout" you mean (or include) that ambient house/-techno style that The Orb, Atom Heart, HIA and the likes used to put out, then I assume you already got what you're looking for, so I'm not sure if I'll be of much help here. Anyway, there's some more of that among the names I gave you in the Chillout Magic thread....

Just one more thing: I've seen people describe the last track (Lastec) on Move D/Namlook IX - Wagons-Lits as tech house or click house, so you might wanna check that one out.

Or maybe try Yagya. I haven't heard much in that style but it might well fit in that kind of set you're talking about

I find a lot of chill out can be quite dancable.

Anything with a beat is.

Androcell

Entheogenic

Shpongle

OTT

Abakus

I'd check out Blue Planet Corporation - Blue Planet which is very nice relaxed trance.

Yes, you are quite right. Anyway, even spinning stuff like Androcell, Abakus and Ott (well... usual suspects like shpongle, entheogenic and ott I refuse to play. too mainstream!!) doesn't really make people dance.

So I guess it has to be more danceable than that; it's gotta take people out of their dozing laziness-modes. Too often I find people just coming to the chillout and doing anything except listening to the music. It's not a tapestry ffs!

So, I am definitely gonna check out Tox's recommendations and start digging up upbeat tracks in my own cd cases. But more techy and housy stuff is also welcome. As long as it's not totally upbeat, if you guys know what I mean.

Oh, and another thing: I'm trying to find things totally beyond the psychill genre. I've grown a bit weary of it... And yeah, I love Solar Fields, but people really won't move their asses to that. They need to be pushed more! :)

mmm what about some breaks? :P

for example, would you play a track such as FSOL - We Have Explosive in that kind of sets?

or try a few older Biosphere tracks from albums such as Patashnik, Microgravity, Insomnia(few tracks from Insomnia if i remember correctly).. well not THAT danceable but they have a steady beat anyways check'em out .

Try some more relaxed trance then. Some slower progressive stuff sounds nice & dancable.

Blue Planet Corp - Blue Planet

Jaia - Fiction

Bus - Morebusinesslinkyouthere

might be more what you're looking for?

And yeah, I love Solar Fields, but people really won't move their asses to that. They need to be pushed more! :)

610798[/snapback]

Dude, you can't tell me that Solar Fields - Infection 268-7 doesn't make people move ... if that's the case then better call an ambulance...

Other tracks I might suggest for your purpose are 12 Moons - Without Within, Klopfgeister - Smoke A Bagpipe (I strongly recommend! You can get that one for free from their site!) or Puff Dragon - Sazanami ... or S-Range - Ilha Bela...

If all else fails: try Klangstrahler Projekt or Feuerhake (not the newest album of him - or maybe you could check it out, maybe you like?) ... those got anything from chill to ordinary psytrance tempo. I'm sure you will find something you like from them...

Try out these 3 splendid albums, crossing over from progressive house, progressive trance, ambient and breaks (Kaito is quite minimal as well):

Sasha - Airdrawndagger

Dousk - D.I.Y.

Kaito - Hundred Million Light Years

Some recommendable chilled out progressive/tech/deep house tracks (some are probably pretty upbeat, but are maybe what you're looking for anyways):

Nikola Gala - Anel

Nikola Gala - Early

Nikola Gala - Idle

Nikola Gala - Night Walk

ADF - Rage

StereoK - Deep Desire

Cantrip People - It Went On For Days

Cantrip People - The Fundamentalis

Blue Room Project - 5B

Blue Room Project - Threnody

Blue Room Project - Liquid Motion

Blue Room Project - Pure

Blue Room Project - Brandie

Stan Kolev - Next Episode

Stan Kolev - Emotional Content

Stan Kolev - Don't Be

Boom Jinx - Too Free To Follow

DJ Bia - The Double Reason

Noir pres. Black Magik - I Like This

Johan Vermeulen - Chemical Romance

Hypnos - Red Light

Opencloud - Life

Eelke Kleijn & Nick Hogendoorn - Dusk (Baunder Remix)

Parham & Ilsoe - Love Sequence

Espen & Stian - Dominating Male

Jay Lumen - Inner Tour

Jay Lumen - Perpetual Drifting

Jay Lumen - Lima

Jay Lumen - Lima (Snake Sedrick Remix)

Snake Sedrick - Fields

Snake Sedrick - Fields (Blue Haze Vox Off Mix)

Andro & Snake Sedrick pres. ASS - Cinnamon

Marek - Me Chali

Marek - Lullaby

Phorsyd - An Eternity For You

Kosmas Epsilon feat. Zorz - Stardust

Pavel Bidlo - Still Looking (West Coast Mix)

Alex Stealthy - Something Is Wrong (Kasey Taylor Remix)

Banco De Gaia - Heliopolis (Blue Room Project Remix)

Kosmas Epsilon - A Dream

Deep Space Organisms - Vaporised

Deep Space Organisms - Natural Orbiter

Deep Space Organisms - Bass Oxygen

Orchid - Silverlining

Orchid - Transcontinental

Orchid - Galactic Railroad

Perheps some of these?

Oh and thanks for all the recommendations! Anyone happen to know of an affordable place where I can clone myself a few times so I have enough time to listen to everything? Goddammit, this is one hell of a hobby I tell ya.

Right now I'm listening to artists like Andy Stott, Bola, Kettel, Sutekh, Twerk and stuff from Mille Plateaux lable. Man, there's so much stuff out there.

I guess I'm looking for something more or less broken, qua beats. Not that standard 4/4 is alright too and more idm-ish random-ish beats too. As long as it's not at all predictable and my problem with progressive psytrance and psychill is that most of it is rather predictable.

As you see, I'm making it all the harder for myself... but on the other hand: I'm discovering a whole new league of music. :) But still: so much music, such little time. Aaargh!

[edit] more jazzy, funky stuff is also greatly appreciated. You know, along the lines of Ninja Tune, Amon Tobin's more danceable stuff, Funki Porcini, the Herbaliser and whatever. As long as it doesn't get corny (no vocals, please) I'm in for it! :)

SASHA - AIRDRAWNDAGGER

MONOLAKE - INTERSTATE

611308[/snapback]

yeah Monolake has nice futuristic sound, cross-over of minimal techno beats with ambient, Snapinho you should check out some albums in case you haven't..

POLYGON CITIES

CINEMASCOPE

GRAVITY

MOMENTUM

and Sasha - Airdrawdagger, yes that definitely suits your sets too.. :D

Bluetech is pretty dancable, saw him just recently, very nice live chill set! Lots of people were dancing. At the same party there was Shpongle (dj) Ott, Waterjuice, and everyone was dancing to them all. Waterjuice plays some nice experimentalish-downtempo-breakish stuff. I wasnt dancing though, chilling to the chill sounded so much nicer. :D

Bluetech is pretty dancable, saw him just recently, very nice live chill set!  Lots of people were dancing.  At the same party there was Shpongle (dj) Ott, Waterjuice, and everyone was dancing to them all.  Waterjuice plays some nice experimentalish-downtempo-breakish stuff.  I wasnt dancing though, chilling to the chill sounded so much nicer.  :D

611897[/snapback]

You are quite right, but the best livesets in chillouts I have seen were usually a more upbeat version of their albums. That's what I loved about it, the versatility. By the way, I have heard great stories about Waterjuice's livesets, but their albums are a little too empty for me. Would love to see them live though...

Any thoughts about what kind of music in general you love dancing and chilling to ? Genre-wise, I mean?

Btw: I recently bought Dubnology: Journeys into Outer Bass and Lost in Bass which are fusions between electronic and dubby stuff, most of which I find will suit a danceable set quite nicely. Opinions?

Guest Astro Cortex

Btw: I recently bought Dubnology: Journeys into Outer Bass and Lost in Bass which are fusions between electronic and dubby stuff, most of which I find will suit a danceable set quite nicely. Opinions?

612720[/snapback]

Yeah, at least the following tracks will definitely suit it:

Astralasia - Univeria Zekt (Kobaian Love Chant)

Tribal Drift - Ants

Banco De Gaia - Lai Lah (v.1.00)

B)