The best goa nowadays is free.

Cinos

At least I personally find it so.

No commercial releases have been interesting to me at all. They're just... or rather, they appear as soulless black holes for the meager money I make. No real content.

Now, enter the free stuff. Mikseri.net is FULL of awesome goa. Being at school I can't remember any names except the obvious ones like Troll Scientists, but there was that one artists with tracks Scorched, another with Motaatti, plus one third Nick linked me to yesterday.

All awesome. The goa spirit can't survive in made-for-money releases, can it? <_<

the reason for that are different motivation factors

Artists that release stuff for money have this money as a motivation factor (which is an EXTERNAL motivation factor) - artists that know they don't get any money have different motivation factors - an inner urge to release the stuff to the public (which is an INNER motivation factor).

INNER motivation factors are always better than EXTERNAL ones. The stuff produced with inner motivation factors will always come from your heart, your true heart and not because you want the money.

That's the reason.

Of course you can say now things like "the artists should not see the money they get as a motivation factor but as a reward" ... but only few are doing that ... as you see.

the reason for that are different motivation factors

Artists that release stuff for money have this money as a motivation factor (which is an EXTERNAL motivation factor) - artists that know they don't get any money have different motivation factors - an inner urge to release the stuff to the public (which is an INNER motivation factor).

INNER motivation factors are always better than EXTERNAL ones. The stuff produced with inner motivation factors will always come from your heart, your true heart and not because you want the money.

That's the reason.

Of course you can say now things like "the artists should not see the money they get as a motivation factor but as a reward" ... but only few are doing that ... as you see.

601629[/snapback]

I believe that 90% of all artists WOULD like to get paid for their work in the end. Free exposure of that music MIGHT change that for them, and therefore they release it for free in order to get "discovered". Mind you, some have made it, and I am very happy about that :)

I believe that 90% of all artists WOULD like to get paid for their work in the end. Free exposure of that music MIGHT change that for them, and therefore they release it for free in order to get "discovered". Mind you, some have made it, and I am very happy about that :)

601641[/snapback]

yes, but again it's the motivation factors

they must release their best stuff, otherwise they will not get discovered ... so they do give their very best...

well, money as motivation factor is bull shit, ask all those "free" artists to get released on an album (for instance Salakavala) and they will say yes OF COURSE! You reach a broader public (not everyone has internet you know) and I still think there is a difference...

Otherwise it IS true that there is loads of good free music on the net, but also tons of crap... And idem dito in the "real" cd scene, very good mixed with not so good... But if you only get free stuff i'm sure you'll miss loads of pearls in the future... as I hope this free-ication of music will force labels to release only the best of the best... :)

I dont know what the situation is for "goa" music, because I dont buy nor do I download any of that music. For the more techy trance scene (also called progressive) I think that the stuff you can buy has a lot better quality than the netstuff that I find. There are som stars out there though, that are really kickin ass!

I dont know what the situation is for "goa" music, because I dont buy nor do I download any of that music. For the more techy trance scene (also called progressive) I think that the stuff you can buy has a lot better quality than the netstuff that I find. There are som stars out there though, that are really kickin ass!

601652[/snapback]

Yeah, but they aren't the kind of free hippie music that goa is supposed to be, either. ;)

Mmm, new Goa doesn't really do it for me. Neither did old Goa, bar a few exceptions... A lot of electronic music in general is pretty emotionless, and yes you do have to dig deep to find the gems. But those gems don't always have to be free, you still get the labels that produce amazing music on CD... I wouldn't be so hasty as to go proclaiming that netlabels are the way forward, there's too many of them.

I'd rather we stuck to traditional CDs and traditional mail order and release the best of the best than having digital downloads that most often suck. That's just me.

At least I personally find it so.

No commercial releases have been interesting to me at all. They're just... or rather, they appear as soulless black holes for the meager money I make. No real content.

Now, enter the free stuff. Mikseri.net is FULL of awesome goa. Being at school I can't remember any names except the obvious ones like Troll Scientists, but there was that one artists with tracks Scorched, another with Motaatti, plus one third Nick linked me to yesterday.

All awesome. The goa spirit can't survive in made-for-money releases, can it?  <_<

601626[/snapback]

well AVP[aavepoyra](spelling??)] have released 2 albums, in 2005 & 2006..

but generally yes..

AVP

Nanoportation

Intriga

great music :)

of the above i think only AVP have got 2 albums released... Goddess Guerilla and Electro Fluoro Punx..

I have 2 promo albums from Troll Scientists.. nice music, not exactly goa maybe some goa elements now and then.

well AVP[aavepoyra](spelling??)] have released 2 albums, in 2005 & 2006..

but generally yes..

AVP

Nanoportation

Intriga

great music :)

of the above i think only AVP have got 2 albums released... Goddess Guerilla and Electro Fluoro Punx..

I have 2 promo albums from Troll Scientists.. nice music, not exactly goa maybe some goa elements now and then.

601686[/snapback]

Yes, exactly those two. The ones I thought of. Intriga especially. :blink:

well, money as motivation factor is bull shit, ask all those "free" artists to get released on an album (for instance Salakavala) and they will say yes OF COURSE! You reach a broader public (not everyone has internet you know) and I still think there is a difference...

601649[/snapback]

wait, wait ... that's not how I meant it ... of course the artist would say yes in that case, everybody would

I wanted to say that when they aren't recognised so much they must give their best to get recognised ... once they are recognised they don't have to give their best anymore because they are recognized/are making money already...

Try your above case - he will say yes and the label releases his music. And he gets recognised and makes money. But in the future the quality will get worse because the artist got recognised and got used to fame and money and doesn't work so hard anymore because he sees that he can make money with worse tracks aswell ... and so on.

Check this out: VA - No Possible Soundz released @ 6D-Soundz and Salakavala - Fractal Fishing @ Faerie Dragon

They all have got mikseri.net accounts, they were all released @ Antiscarp before, but listen to it! Much better production, better distribution, they'll get more attention. Free is not bad, but your statement is wrong.

Check this out: VA - No Possible Soundz released @ 6D-Soundz and Salakavala - Fractal Fishing @ Faerie Dragon

They all have got mikseri.net accounts, they were all released @ Antiscarp before, but listen to it! Much better production, better distribution, they'll get more attention. Free is not bad, but your statement is wrong.

602012[/snapback]

Commercial CERTAINLY isn't better either. I can settle for "as good". <_<

The goa spirit can't survive in made-for-money releases, can it?  <_<

601626[/snapback]

hehe you have a point here... after all, the first trance releases were also by artists who didn't give a fuck on how much money they made, right? And yes, I've stumbled on quite some gems as well... the one I remember best was a certain Khetzal who was promoting his track Ganesha Pramana on this site hehe (talking about this around 2001 that's like 4 years before being officially released... actually if I remeber corectly at that time he wrote his name Qetzal?)

also one of THEEEE best goa tracks IMO happens to be free: Artha - DNA... if you can still grab a hold of it, please do, it's one of my all-time top 10 tracks!!! Still can't understand how this guy never released anything oficially yet... maybe if someone from Suntrip sent him an email... *wink wink* B)

also one of THEEEE best goa tracks IMO happens to be free: Artha - DNA... if you can still grab a hold of it, please do, it's one of my all-time top 10 tracks!!! Still can't understand how this guy never released anything oficially yet... maybe if someone from Suntrip sent him an email... *wink wink*  B)

602375[/snapback]

why don't you upload it since it's free/unreleased?

couldn't find it did a brief search on psynews..

btw also check VA - Trip To Dreamland (2006) [free compilation, Music Making section]he has a track there.. many nice tracks in fact

I still prefer a pro-quality CD that I can hold in my hands. Luckily with today's technology, even if it isn't economically viable to be releasing the old school style, it is quite possible to have a pro release that listeners around the world can burn a copy of and print a cover for. The thing that boggles my mind is that no one is doing it! Still, there's lots of time...

And a little plug... For all your free music needs -> http://www.ektoplazm.com/downloads/

Prospective compilers/netlabels/etc who want a little help getting their stuff on BitTorrent, feel free to contact me...

.. even if it isn't economically viable to be releasing the old school style, it is quite possible to have a pro release that listeners around the world can burn a copy of and print a cover for. The thing that boggles my mind is that no one is doing it! Still, there's lots of time...

602778[/snapback]

yea bro i share your opinion , we are exactly doing that , still lots of work to do about our release but it will come out soon :)

our compilation will go to a mastering studio (i will add details when the compilation is released) it will also feature a jewel case cover ready for printing so... its plug and play!

thanks again for your help basilisk!

peace :)

A lot of electronic music in general is pretty emotionless, and yes you do have to dig deep to find the gems.

601662[/snapback]

Somewhat, sure, but I don't think it's any more than any other kind of music. It just requires rethinking your transinterpretation of emotion in music.