Ableton Live VS Cubase

What do you guys think is the best???

Im thinking of moving on to other programs than Reason....(well im going to use Rewire)

But im also intressed in making Live performances!

Im most into Ableton becouse of its better to use live, but is it good to make music with to? Or is Cubase MUCH more better in that area?

What do you recommend?

Thanks for all answers!

really it is much more intuitive than other sequencers.

i played the guitar in an industrial band, and this prog is the only one that you can think of as a real music production tool.

it pushes your creativity.

everything keeps playing while you alter it.

you so simply record into your track and then automate...

i love it.

its pure music inside

I've used Cubase since VST 5.0 and Live since 2.0 and they both have their strengths and weaknesses. I personally find Live to be kind of a pain in the ass to work with when it comes to creating and recording midi parts but outside of that I like it. As it stands now I tend to use Live for playing live and writing tracks while I am "on the road" so to speak (I don't like to carry my Cubase dongle around outside of the studio), but the tracks started in Live always get rendered and shipped over to Cubase to be finished. I jut find Cubase to just be easier to write in somehow, but that's just me.

really it is much more intuitive than other sequencers.

i played the guitar in an industrial band, and this prog is the only one that you can think of as a real music production tool.

it pushes your creativity.

everything keeps playing while you alter it.

you so simply record into your track and then automate...

i love it.

its pure music inside

600315[/snapback]

Thanks alot m8!

I dont have much hardware yet, gotta change my midi keyboard....get studio monitors and upgrade my pc!

So i still dont have much hardware yet to play with yet, but im thinking of buying this baby to play with: http://www.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/ESX1.JPG

And i've never used hardware to record with other than midi so i wonder how it is to combine the ESX with Ableton.....Im such a n00bie when it comes to hardware lol...But im a fast learner!

I've used Cubase since VST 5.0 and Live since 2.0 and they both have their strengths and weaknesses. I personally find Live to be kind of a pain in the ass to work with when it comes to creating and recording midi parts but outside of that I like it. As it stands now I tend to use Live for playing live and writing tracks while I am "on the road" so to speak (I don't like to carry my Cubase dongle around outside of the studio), but the tracks started in Live always get rendered and shipped over to Cubase to be finished. I jut find Cubase to just be easier to write in somehow, but that's just me.

600323[/snapback]

In the lastest ver. of Live, midi recording has been immensely upgraded and is now fully satisfying (at least for me).

I really love Live so that would be my choice, but having them both indeed be nice

In the lastest ver. of Live, midi recording has been immensely upgraded and is now fully satisfying (at least for me).

I really love Live so that would be my choice, but having them both indeed be nice

600329[/snapback]

I am using Live 5 right now (6 is still beta testing.. once its out I'll upgrade), but in 5, eventhough its changed and improved its still a pain in the ass compared to Cubase IMO.

I would say its very individual, and that the both programs have their flaws and upsides. I think it also depends what you want to use it for. I am however not a hardcore user of Live, so I wouldnt be able to say that its better or worse.

Eventhough I have my weekly fights with my computer because of Cubase (not so much anymore, explained in another thread) I would suggest that :)

Well, they're different programs, really. And you'll probably prefer one working method over another, so, first download Live's demo, and learn it with its snazzy inbuilt tutorials.

Then download Cubase (gimme a W, gimme an A, gimme an R, E, Z) and read it's tutorial manual and work with it. It's certainly more cumbersome than Live, I have found, but I still prefer Cubase over Live. If you asked me why, I'd have no answer.

This whole which-prog-is-better debate is inherently personal, and there really is no one program that is for sure better than everyone else.

I am using Live 5 right now (6 is still beta testing.. once its out I'll upgrade), but in 5, eventhough its changed and improved its still a pain in the ass compared to Cubase IMO.

600343[/snapback]

The whole question about sequencers seems to be very individual. For me Live is the most intuitive program but cubase may be just as good. Live though, has an approach to recording music that's pretty different from the other great ones, and I guess it's really a love it or hate thing

what is your problem with midi recording?

i find it pretty easy.

600377[/snapback]

When recording midi parts I'm just used to simply pushing record, playing and then pushing stop when I'm done. It took me ages how to figure out how to do something resembling that in Live. Part of it was the manuals's fault as I read the thing probably 5 times trying to figure out how I can actually "record" midi by just playing it rather than inputing the notes and stillI ended up having to go online to one of their tutorials to figure it out (of course when I did it was "oh duh..." but still).

The bigger midi issue for me is simply how I write. I tend to noodle a bit on the keyboard and then hit record and play until i have something I like. Have to set loop lengths and such in Live I find requires me to "plan" and reduces the happy accident factor for me as Live stops recording after that set length is up by default. The more I use it for writting, the more I am getting comfortable with it, but I still simply "need" some of Cubase's features that Live doesn't have.

Actually after careful consideration, more than midi, I find my biggest gripe with Live to be simply the monitoring of levels on the mixer. The lack of precise +/- db peak readings on the mixer I find to be a problem as I usually want to know exactly where my levels are at when I'm mixing things down. Having to use the mouse and not be able to numerically input level changes on the mixer view page is something I find rather distracting. (sure you can do it on the track view page, but why found I have to switch to a different window to do what is a basic mixer function?)

This is not to say I dislike Live. I did buy it after all (and several upgrades after I bought it as well). The internal effects aren't too bad and the audio tweaking is great. Assigning midi controllers is excellent for the most part and something I think Cubase should adopt (although with vst synths I think can be kind of a pain trying to find which slider goes to which knob on the synth interface). Editting and recording automation info is easy too (although no different from Cubase really IMO). I use it for all my live sets and have been using it to write downtempo tracks a bit too recently, but for how "I" write music I find Cubase easier somehow (probably being somewhat related to my old audio recording roots and simply having used it for that job longer).

The end result is basically that both will serve you well so its just a matter of which one fits your writting style the best and which one you learn the deepest. Or you could just use both :P

I haven't gotten that much into live but i find cubase is really good once you get the hang of it..It might have a steeper learning curve but at the end of the day it allows you to do much more..

I love especially how easy it is to arrange & put your ideas down in cubase something which i didn't find as easy in other sequencers..Your best bet would be to try them both out for a bit & make your mind up..