What is newschool Goa for you?

Ormion

I see many ppl calling music like Filteria, Ethereal, or Khetzal as newschool.

Well I have to disagree. These artists are not newschool but new artists writing oldschool goa. What I mean?

It seems that newschool for some guys means new. So since these are new Goa artists they produce newschool. I can understand why they don't like the term ''old school''. Cause it sounds like old, non modern, out of date. But I simply don't care how it sounds but what it is.

For example: Filteria-Sky Input. The artist is new, the production is much more clear that 1995-1998 period but the music is old school. Old school not old!

OF COURSE Jannis brought new ideas. Every good artists does that, OF COURSE his music sounds more modern, but it's still oldschool. Is this bad? NO! I love Filteria more that anyone, but I still believe this is old school, just like Ethereal, Ypsilon 5 or Khetzal.

Newschool Goa for me is the kind of Goa that has many differences than old school but still is Goa! It doesn't have to be better that oldschool, just different. You know what's newschool Goa for me? Pleiadians-Family Of Light. That is newschool. It's not better than IFO but I can listen to the evolution of Goa in there. (and evolution doesn't always mean progress). Even today it sounds more newschool that anything else.

Another album that sounded as newschool back in 1999 was IM-The Gathering. (Although IM's style was so different that eventually no one called it Goa).

Here's some more tracks that are newschool Goa for me:

Toi Doi-Nuage D'Encens (with a twist of full on)

Etnica-Hell's Kitchen

RL-Flush Gordon

Aeternum-Highways Of Light

Psycho Abstract-Los Colombaires Unicejas

Yahel-Last Man In The Universe (that's right)

and maybe Astral Projection-Amen album. Not better, different. Just like I said.

So what's newschool Goa for you?

Ummm, all the ones that you've mentioned were made around the time 2000-2001 so they are actually not that newschool too... :D

They've been made at an almost end of goa period. :rolleyes:

Ummm, all the ones that you've mentioned were made around the time 2000-2001 so they are actually not that newschool too... :D

They've been made at an almost end of goa period.  :rolleyes:

598714[/snapback]

Yeah I know, but compared to the long old school period of Goa 1994-1999 sound newschool. I can't find something released this or last year that sounds more newschool. Maybe Talpa but he's not actually Goa IMO.

I'm starting to dislike the words old school and new school...

Why can't it just be named as plain Goa trance? Or Psychedelic Goa trance if it's more twisted just as it was. Goa trance never really died and I see no remarkable change in the oldschool and newschool music just new artists which might have sounded the same if they produced their music in the 90s...

Why care about names anyway?! The music stays the same anyway, no matter how you name it. I understand where the name "new-school" comes, makes sense imho. It is inspired by old goa but still sounds kinda different. Doesn't mean that the old-school school goa is outdated. To me it's not at last, it's still great music and nothing can change that.

Why care about names anyway?! The music stays the same anyway, no matter how you name it. I understand where the name "new-school" comes, makes sense imho. It is inspired by old goa but still sounds kinda different. Doesn't mean that the old-school school goa is outdated. To me it's not at last, it's still great music and nothing can change that.

598868[/snapback]

I agree! People always talk about music sounding dated! It's the same music you loved then, it hasn't changed. I still love the old dragonfly comps and others released around the early 90s, I don't find them dated at all. It's all still good.

I don't go in much for names either new school/old school etc I just listen to what I like :D

Why can't it just be named as plain Goa trance?

598865[/snapback]

Just recently I played my old (school) CDs and man some of that tracks are far better than some new tracks I have, goa will always be goa.. And place that relates to that name will always be the same.. At least in my world, I dont know for u..

all goa artists are goa , the fact that new skool goa producers are so called "new skool" is because of the fact we come from a new skool and not from an old one . it doesnt mean anything about the music. its like hiphop , if ur a new artist ur from a new skool and not from the old and wise. and as so the new ones will become old ;).

hope that helps.

Why everyone says tha old Goa is not out of date. Of course IS NOT! I guess that you misunderstood my thread. It's not about which is better oldschool or newschool. It's about what is newschool according to your taste.

Why everyone says tha old Goa is not out of date. Of course IS NOT! I guess that you misunderstood my thread. It's not about which is better oldschool or newschool. It's about what is newschool according to your taste.

599150[/snapback]

I just don't go in for genre titles at all. If newschool/oldschool means vastly different things to different people then it's just bollocks names probably made to market the sound. Dont like oldschool? Don't worry this is NEWschool!! etc.

599150[/snapback]

I agree with you that FOL is more "new school" then most of the other Goa produced nowadays. As I said, I never understood the point in labeling it old school or new school since it's no remarkable difference in the music. Sure the soundquality might have improved somewhat but the most important thing in music is ofcourse the message and the Goa produced nowadays could easily have been done in the 90s aswell if thoose artists existed then.

So yes, FOL is true new school for me too. But on the other hand it's just an evolution of the different bands sound (in this case Pleiadians). So one can not say that their evolution with FOL set new standards for Goa trance and therefor should be labeled as new school since there's nothing like that album. So conclusion must be, both new school and old school is pointless expressions since Goa trance never died and there's no remarkable changes distinguish them apart.

For me old school goa is something like Transwave-Helium!!!

Now,new school goa is something like the goa of greek producers!!

Believe me proffesional production!

599361[/snapback]

you mean like Radical Distortion - Regenesis album? yes the production is good..

btw , @Ormion check this one too: http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?sh...=600842&st=20

598868[/snapback]

I totally agree. I couldn't care less about what you call the music, as long as i like it, that's enough for me. :) You can call it polka music for all i care, i'll still listen to it