Cubase CPU problems

I just found out that my Cubase SX3(with nothing opened, no project, no nothing) uses 100% of CPU power (according to Windows Task manager), is that possible? Reason v3.0 uses only 1%.. What is more important to Cubase, CPU or RAM? What is recomended CPU and RAM values? What to upgrade first CPU or RAM? I have Intel 1.8 GHz with 256 Mb RAM and 250 Gb hard disk, but Im only using 40 Gb hard for now and its almost 2/3 full, I defragment it but maybe thats the problem.. Or sound card drivers.. I recently installed Sound Blaster Live! and according to specifications I should have no problem.. Is it better to plug synth onto Sound blaster game port or into MPU-401 on my system board? What is lowest latency for Sound blaster Live!?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I though it is the RAM, but I set virtual paging file to min. 512 max. 1024, but nothing changes.. Well actually I can open whole MIDI song and add 4 decent VSTs and let my synth play by some MIDI channel/pattern and play at the same time but that is almost overload, I have to tweak it good to achieve that.. When it comes to playing with synth I messed with asio drivers and after one day of tweaking I got 20-40 ms input latency and about 150-200 output.. And we can say I can play on synth with that latency but anything above 40 ms is bad, I have to wait a second when I remove the finger from the keyboard to hear the sound.. But I think that SB Live! should have much lesser latency, should it?

So first thing to do is to buy more RAM?

we had many discussions about more ram/cpu.

by just looking at your system specs i say its too little, even win xp needs 512mb to run stable.

but im not familiar with cubase anymore, so lets wait for for cubase gurus.

perhaps its some cubase issue.

Ā 

btw is soundlaster live anygood for recording?

i thought its crap, and if you look at your latency, but we will see.

I know, i know more RAM and yeah its a crap but its better than some Holywood 5.1 card I had before, it will serve till I manage to buy M-audio Audiophile 192.. Actually I changed sound cards with my friend just cause Live! has gameport and I thought it is faster then MPU-401, now Im not sure cause it says SB Live! (emulated). But f***ers in creative say that live has <2ms latency.. grrgh :angry: Is 1.8 GHz enough? I dont want to buy RAM and then realize I have to change mother board and RAM again and the CPU.. U cant imagine how much troubles I had with that Cubase, now I have SX and SX3 installed cause the ASIO drivers with SX3 are not working so Im using the one from SX.. Man I hate that bold guy who shows up everytime I open SX, is that Steinberg? Ugly m*****f*****

1.8ghz should be enough, but sooner or later you will have to upgrade anyway, but we all have to.

have you tried asio4all?

596848[/snapback]

No, post a link with the file in zip, else I cant download it.. But if u cant do that my friend will bring me some new asio drivers from creative, so maybe that will work, I already have one but I couldnt insatll it, wrong version, I suppose..

Ā 

Yeah we all have to upgrade sooner or later, but I really love my 1.8, I bought it from a friend who was in need for money for only 150 ā‚¬, almost free :D

you performed a full scan already?

you better do.

Ā 

edit: i read the thread on isratrance, they make hysteria, just perform a full scan, then reinstall cubase and install asio drivers i gave you.

Ā 

do you have the H2O version of cubase?

No, actually its not histeria, the guy mentioned svchost I warned u about in "infected vst" topic and if thats it than it is bad.. I performed scan, removed some stuff but I cant remove two files I have on hard nor the one in my operatin memory.. Bad, bad, bad.. But friend told me that this sucker from operating memory will go off only if I remove the battery(on motherboard, for system clock), and I will try that while reinstalling.. I have SX zone version and SX3 H2O version..

My nod 32 cant do nothing against those 3 suckers..

difficult to tell from here... if you really think its a virus i suggest you to visit some security board where ppl really know about, and post your logfiles and stuff there.

and then get rid of the shit.

you know any good security board?

Not one, but I got some info on the svc host and how to mess with it in registry editor.. Maybe that will help.. Anyway, well see what happens when I format it..

Actually I have another idea, I will install cubase and all the music related programs on big hard with 250 Gigs and that 40 Gigs I will leave for everthing else.. That should do the trick, my only concern is that I dont infect my new 250 Gigs hard..

SVCHOST is a legitimate part of XP and although it can be hijacked by viruses it often runs perfectly normal processes. On my laptop (internet and live set machine) there are 6 instances running right now; on my main music machine there are 5 instances. I do not have any viruses or trojans on my systems.

Ā 

Careful what you do in Regedit; it's possible to fuck your system up beyond repair (short of FORMAT C:) very easily.

SVCHOST is a legitimate part of XP and although it can be hijacked by viruses it often runs perfectly normal processes.Ā  On my laptop (internet and live set machine) there are 6 instances running right now; on my main music machine there are 5 instances.Ā  I do not have any viruses or trojans on my systems.

Ā 

Careful what you do in Regedit; it's possible to fuck your system up beyond repair (short of FORMAT C:) very easily.

596957[/snapback]

agreed.

Ā 

try karsperski anti-virus for the virus issue.

Ā 

and definitely use asio4all to put those latency times way down to 13 ms /which i achieve with standard AC97 laptop audio card)

Ā 

boom!

SVCHOST is a legitimate part of XP and although it can be hijacked by viruses it often runs perfectly normal processes.Ā  On my laptop (internet and live set machine) there are 6 instances running right now; on my main music machine there are 5 instances.Ā  I do not have any viruses or trojans on my systems.

Ā 

596957[/snapback]

Yes, as Colin says, be very careful. Make sure that you make a BACKUP of your old registry before you tamper with it! :)

Yeah I have 6 or more instances running and its better to have them more cause it runs faster.. Divides procesess.. But anyway, last night I typed format c: twice, well actually I typed only once cause in XP theres no DOS, but I formated 2 hard disks, backed up my files, VSTs on one DVD, samples and projects on other.. No sleep.. I managed to install all drivers but still I have tons of programs to install and third hard to format.. And I will do like I said, bigger hard will be exclusively for audio and smaller for all other stuff.. Only thing that bothers me now is that my mainboard doesnt recognize 250 Gb hard drive, it only recognizes 136 Gigs.. Strange, maybe update of BIOS should solve that? Does anybody know where to find Phoenix BIOS update for free? On their site you have to pay 25$ but I dont have credit card.. Anyway a bit off topic..

Yeah I have 6 or more instances running and its better to have them more cause it runs faster.. Divides procesess.. But anyway, last night I typed format c: twice, well actually I typed only once cause in XP theres no DOS, but I formated 2 hard disks, backed up my files, VSTs on one DVD, samples and projects on other.. No sleep.. I managed to install all drivers but still I have tons of programs to install and third hard to format.. And I will do like I said, bigger hard will be exclusively for audio and smaller for all other stuff.. Only thing that bothers me now is that my mainboard doesnt recognize 250 Gb hard drive, it only recognizes 136 Gigs.. Strange, maybe update of BIOS should solve that? Does anybody know where to find Phoenix BIOS update for free? On their site you have to pay 25$ but I dont have credit card.. Anyway a bit off topic..

597250[/snapback]

Bioses shouldnt cost you anything, did you go to the page of the ones that make the bios (I assume that you dont have a phoenix mobo, or do you?), or did you go to your mobo manufacturers homepage?

Ā 

Anyways, the 136gb limit is something to do with Windows XP, you have to have the latest image to actually find the 250 GB fine, or if you dont use the 250GB disk as your main disk, then just do the windows updates afterwards, and there is some knowledge articles to be found on microsofts homepage that describes what you need to do in order to use the full capacity (Cant remember how actually, been a long time)....

Ā 

Hope that helps mate! :)

you have to sort out your mainboard manufacturer and mainboard ID (important).

you find both in bios :P. theres a number, not version number.

with this number you find manufacturers.

then go to manufacturers homepage, and search for bios update (download section)

they give for free, no paying.

Ā 

not much goin on at my job currently, ill help you. B)

Not much going on my job too, everday, all day.. :D

Well I went to the Phoenix.com page but they redirect me to esupport cause they dont have bios for download there.. I dont know, seems like award bought phoenix or something, but anyway u got pay on their site.. I havent got the number here since I tried to download driver but with bios number they asked me credit card number too so I erased it.. I quit trying to update it online since I cant download exe even if I payed them and I was thinking to go to some computer shop and physicaly change bios(buy new one), but maybe it has to do something with windows like nemo said, one friend told me that too, he was having same problems but he managed to get a copy of some version of xp that supports large hard drives and installs service pack 2 automatically but I tried that and it doesnt work.. It works with his 250 Gb drive.. Now he tells me I should install win 98, then format hard in dos to clean it all and then try with that windows.. But maybe they sold me 136 Gb hard with 250 Gb sticker on it.. But I doubt that..

Not much going on my job too, everday, all day..Ā  :D

597299[/snapback]

lol, what are you working?

Ā 

anyway, you only want to make bios update cause of hd, not recommended, first try norton partition magic, it worked for me on 200gb, so give it a try.

if you need a copy ;)

Ā 

and for mainboard, if you ever need to find id and manufacturer easily try sisoft sandra, its the best system analization tool and free.

First of all, cut the signature, its too long, or divide it into two rows if u really need all those pics :P

Send a link for norton, I can try it,..

I got sandra and I will try her, but I have QDI mainboard, only dont know which model..

Ah yeah, what Is my job, well actually nothing, sitting in front of computer and surfing the net.. And they pay me for that

you mean too long for your screenresolution, anyway i thought about making it shorter and into two rows yesterday, here we go, better now?

Ā 

and yes i need all those pic :P

Ā 

for partition magic i have to search, takes a moment