Looking for artists and netlabels :)

Boom!

I have been thinking very seriously about creating and managing a website / database of artists and netlabels, a place where you could meet the sound, the visuals and the people that love their art over money and that are breaking paradigms and market rules :)

As i'm still thinking on it, i apreciate every contribution to the idea.

I'm a web programmer / designer so I can build the thing up fast and good, and I can host the site too, as long as tracks can be hosted elsewhere and linked by the site.

My main idea is to increase exposure of the good artists that are all around trying to be noticed, and started with all this healthy VA dynamic that is being created by the people here in the forum and elsewhere... as a producer i would like this works to be visible to all, and with one portal / gate managing and presenting all the info it would be very beneficial for all I think!

I start by asking all the VA-participating artists if they like the idea of having and artist profile in this "portal", and I ask the netlabel managers if they would like extra promotion of their VAs and all info around their netlabels there too!

No f** money around this idea, as an artist i want to promote myself and others showing what we can do and spreading the word.

I also would very much like to have profiles of visual artists in various genres! with info and links to their own work / portfolio.

I think with a respectful bunch of artists :) and some quality-sounding free-releases we could catch some attention from the psychedelic worldwide community  B)

boom

593727[/snapback]

Count me in too!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you not use CSS for design? HTML is designed as a structural markup, not a presentational one... And if you just quit the whole table based way of thinking then you could cut your page weight in half at least, you wouldn't have to do as much managing at all... in fact, when you can change your whole design using a different stylesheet (without editing any of your HTML pages), then CSS starts to look extremely appetizing.  ;)

I'm familiar with CSS. I've been programming in .NET lately and now i'm coming back to html, php, css, xml, mysql etc.

I started the site with the goal of testing the php / mysql engine, ensuring that the connections with the database are ok, in order to insert artist's info and have suficient info to test the site design.

I'm now going back and create the CSS for the site and make the needed changes.

And forgive me for just ripping your site to shreds, but why have you got a flash navigation when the buttons are just a simple colour change? You can do this with a text link, surely.  ;)

1 Kb for each button, no big deal :) i just don't like the white rectangle that apears while loading the page though...

I'd also like to point out that areas should be available to the user in no more than 3 clicks - if users are clicking forever to get to sections of your site, they're more than likely to give up. Drop down menus are a good way of minimizing clicks on your site...

indeed, valid point. Areas are growing and the drop down menu should be a good solution.

Why not just have the releases on the artist page (tracklist, cover art, short description)? And then when they clicked on it then it would go to the release ID in the database?

because i'm not keen in making scrolable pages, i prefer to fit all content in the 1024x768 view... and so it would be dificult to present the VAs in a good manner...

So i think the best solution is to put links in the artist page to releases / demos and access this way the music section of the artist page, similar but with track and VA links instead of information... lots of space for future releases :)

boom! thanks very much for your input

I can help with technical and maybe music stuff ..

ps. a separate platform is needed - maybe setting up a forum :unsure:

but there must be the name first

598696[/snapback]

i'm considering building the inside comunication platform in a next stage, with artist login/password. I prefer an inside forum for the artists than a public one, we have a lot of those already :)

Hey. I've sent an email to You with info about me (Derek Oldman) inside.

Hope that I will appear in database :)

598579[/snapback]

You're on it! :)

Check the link and find yourself :)

boom

yeah inside forum is great idea and drop down menus is a must, this way it would be click-me-page. About those releases somebody was making a good point, if all released music from artists would be available than it would be very big list and only artist who release their music for free and online would be on that list and not official one.. anyway, u have my support..

I'm familiar with CSS. I've been programming in .NET lately and now i'm coming back to html, php, css, xml, mysql etc.

I started the site with the goal of testing the php / mysql engine, ensuring that the connections with the database are ok, in order to insert artist's info and have suficient info to test the site design.

598929[/snapback]

That's cool. I was just making sure you knew what you were doing, and it seems like it's the case. :)

1 Kb for each button, no big deal :) i just don't like the white rectangle that apears while loading the page though...

598929[/snapback]

I was thinking more from an accessibility point of view as well, text links will display in any browser - whereas flash objects may or may not load...

because i'm not keen in making scrolable pages, i prefer to fit all content in the 1024x768 view... and so it would be dificult to present the VAs in a good manner...

So i think the best solution is to put links in the artist page to releases / demos and access this way the music section of the artist page, similar but with track and VA links instead of information... lots of space for future releases :)

598929[/snapback]

Yeah, I prefer it all in the 1024x768 view - but I'm just thinking about minimising clicks. Say if you had thumbnails of the album cover (100x100px or something around there) with descriptive text to the right of it, you could fit on a good amount - and obviously as the artist gets more releases the page will get bigger anyway - so keeping the site to 1024x768 will be a problem, I think...

Check my pic:

Posted Image

598929[/snapback]

No worries. :)

I was thinking more from an accessibility point of view as well, text links will display in any browser - whereas flash objects may or may not load...

I think you're right, no need for a flashy menu. I don't like the white squares that appear while loading the page. I'm changing the menu to a regular drop down menu.

Yeah, I prefer it all in the 1024x768 view - but I'm just thinking about minimising clicks. Say if you had thumbnails of the album cover (100x100px or something around there) with descriptive text to the right of it, you could fit on a good amount - and obviously as the artist gets more releases the page will get bigger anyway - so keeping the site to 1024x768 will be a problem, I think...

Check my pic:

Posted Image

No worries. :)

599096[/snapback]

I'll try to fit all in the screen. If I can't, you solution is the best one. Gonna think of some clever interface for this.

Boom!

I did a basic code mockup you can use if you like...

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<title>Test</title>
<style type="text/css">
body {
background-color:#000000;
color:#FFFFFF;
margin:20px;
}
a {
color:#FF8899;
}
#navlist li
{
display: inline;
list-style-type: none;
}
#artistinfo {
width:auto;
height:350px;
background-color:FF8899;
}
.rls {
width:auto;
height:100px;
background-color:#FF3366;
margin:10px 0;
}
</style>
</head>
<body>
<h1>Header, most probably an image</h1>
<hr />
<!-- Nav taken from http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/horizontal01.htm -->
<div id="navcontainer">
<ul id="navlist">
<li id="active"><a href="#" id="current">Home</a></li>
<li><a href="#">About</a></li>
<li><a href="#">Contact</a></li>
</ul>
</div>
<!-- Artist Infos -->
<div id="artistinfo">Artist Info</div>
<hr />
<!-- Releases -->
<div class="rls">Release 1</div>
<div class="rls">Release 2</div>
<div class="rls">Release 3</div>
<div class="rls">Release 4</div>
<hr />
<p>Footer</p>
</body>
</html>

serquei you have to repair my profile coz there is an error on it,scrolling side maximum to the right :(

599629[/snapback]

chill man, the site is "under construction" :)

i'm changing things on the fly, so many weird things will happen until it gets stable.

Boom

Check the updates here !

Site is fully working, although extra functions will appear.

Now I will contact people directly to get their artist / label info and fill the site.

Register you email in the "Contacts" area in our future newsletter, and recieve info about new free artists / releases in the future by non-annoying email :)

Boom