Looking for artists and netlabels :)

Boom!

I have been thinking very seriously about creating and managing a website / database of artists and netlabels, a place where you could meet the sound, the visuals and the people that love their art over money and that are breaking paradigms and market rules :)

As i'm still thinking on it, i apreciate every contribution to the idea.

I'm a web programmer / designer so I can build the thing up fast and good, and I can host the site too, as long as tracks can be hosted elsewhere and linked by the site.

My main idea is to increase exposure of the good artists that are all around trying to be noticed, and started with all this healthy VA dynamic that is being created by the people here in the forum and elsewhere... as a producer i would like this works to be visible to all, and with one portal / gate managing and presenting all the info it would be very beneficial for all I think!

I start by asking all the VA-participating artists if they like the idea of having and artist profile in this "portal", and I ask the netlabel managers if they would like extra promotion of their VAs and all info around their netlabels there too!

No f** money around this idea, as an artist i want to promote myself and others showing what we can do and spreading the word.

I also would very much like to have profiles of visual artists in various genres! with info and links to their own work / portfolio.

I think with a respectful bunch of artists :) and some quality-sounding free-releases we could catch some attention from the psychedelic worldwide community B)

boom

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah guys it is great idea !! something like goabase for parties if i'm good thinking....

Serquei you said that you can only host links to music etc etc....

i have idea : look at this

http://www.allegro.pl/item121490317_serwer...stgrs_php5.html

translating into english what there is written : they give 3 gb server with 30 gb downloading ability per month :) i think its quite big maybe i could find bigger for example 5 gb ??

80 polish zlotys (aproximately 20-25 euros !!!!!!!!!!!) is a price for a year abonament !!

we could together make small donation for it....also they give unfinite e-mail accounts...

what are you thinking ?? maybe something bigger ??

of coz i would like to participate in this project and i think i could manage to invite some other guys for this idea :)

yeah guys it is great idea !! something like goabase for parties if i'm good thinking....

Serquei you said that you can only host links to music etc etc....

i have idea : look at this

http://www.allegro.pl/item121490317_serwer...stgrs_php5.html

translating into english what there is written : they give 3 gb server with 30 gb downloading ability per month :) i think its quite big maybe i could find bigger for example 5 gb ??

80 polish zlotys (aproximately 20-25 euros !!!!!!!!!!!) is a price for a year abonament !!

we could together make small donation for it....also they give unfinite e-mail accounts...

what are you thinking ?? maybe something bigger ??

of coz i would like to participate in this project and i think i could manage to invite some other guys for this idea :)

593751[/snapback]

thanks for the reply man!

good info! Unfortunately i cannot read polish :lol:

If i understood, that's 25 euros/year, quite cheap!

I would be interested in buying one account, for my personal use and to share with this project. It would be wonderful for a start scenario.

If you help me understanding what to do, i would buy it in the beginning of next month :)

This way we could provide hosting for tracks of people that don't have ways to host them by themselves :)

Boom!

I have been thinking very seriously about creating and managing a website / database of artists and netlabels, a place where you could meet the sound, the visuals and the people that love their art over money and that are breaking paradigms and market rules :)

As i'm still thinking on it, i apreciate every contribution to the idea.

I'm a web programmer / designer so I can build the thing up fast and good, and I can host the site too, as long as tracks can be hosted elsewhere and linked by the site.

My main idea is to increase exposure of the good artists that are all around trying to be noticed, and started with all this healthy VA dynamic that is being created by the people here in the forum and elsewhere... as a producer i would like this works to be visible to all, and with one portal / gate managing and presenting all the info it would be very beneficial for all I think!

I start by asking all the VA-participating artists if they like the idea of having and artist profile in this "portal", and I ask the netlabel managers if they would like extra promotion of their VAs and all info around their netlabels there too!

No f** money around this idea, as an artist i want to promote myself and others showing what we can do and spreading the word.

I also would very much like to have profiles of visual artists in various genres! with info and links to their own work / portfolio.

I think with a respectful bunch of artists :) and some quality-sounding free-releases we could catch some attention from the psychedelic worldwide community  B)

boom

593727[/snapback]

I would love to be an artist mention somewhere on this page!

i don't have a website or anything exept for my myspace account, i have two officially released tracks so far. And i could prolly throw some art together aswell, heh.

my myspace: www.myspace.com/cronodevir

I suppose you could provide links to the downlaods on myspace.

Also, is this a psytrance only thing? I believe it would be better to make it more universal in the electronic genra, seeing that electronic music is a big minority in the world, and psytrance even a minority within that.

to fully achive that goal of spreading the word it would, imho, be best to include all sub-genras of trance.

contact me if ya need anything :)

as for the sound limits, i don't feel like doing a specialized site, neither to put people's music in a fixed category or box...

my idea is to center the site on a concept, close either to "psychedelic" , "entheogenic" or "spiritual"

this way, every piece of music that has this "spirit", "psychedelia" or "entheogenic" feeling is welcome! Like Chillout, Ambient, Ethnic, Travel, Goa, Dark, Psy-fullon, Psy-progressive and maybe other electronic/crossover genres :)

of course we could attach some tags like "goa","psy","dark"... to the name of a project to help the navigator in finding what he wants... i'll try to find the best interface for it!

what do you think about it?

I'm working on the concept, any help is apreciated too... something that is central to our view, music and way of life :)

boom

of course we could attach some tags like "goa","psy","dark"... to the name of a project to help the navigator in finding what he wants... i'll try to find the best interface for it!

what do you think about it?

i agree... you should attach a tag to the artist with their main genre so that listeners can search by genre if they wish

or the same for each individual song... search by genre... pulls up -- for example -- all goa tracks for all artists on the site.

i would really like to participate with this site :)

I started the design phase, and created some tables in the database for testing.

For the artists that are interested in being present it the site database, the "input form" will be like this:

Project Name:

Short Desc: (ex: melodic fullon trance project)

Intro (presentation of members): [text up to 512 chars]

Bio (short story/definition of project): [text up to 512 chars]

Project Image: URL of image or real image (max size: 300x200 resolution:72)

email:

phone number:

tag1:

tag2:

tag3:

(ex: psy, dark, goa, melodic, experimental, ethnic, chillout, etc)

---

website and phone number are optional. tag2 and tag3 are optional too.

As i need some real data to test the database and to create pages, feel free to send me this form with your data by email, attach the photo if you like.

my email is feromonat at gmail.com

I'll be inserting this info on the database to be able to work on it in the weekend.

I want some ideas for the name of the site/tribe/collective/community/portal/gate!

Bring them on!

For now I'm considering this Menu structure:

Artists

--Visual

----Search

----VJs

----Deco

----Video

----Art

--Audio

----Search

----DJs

----Producers

Releases

--VA

--Free albuns

--Free tracks

Contact

Links

Boom! :)

Need artists for the website! :)

I'm filling the database to test the layout and engine...

you can check the progress in this URL: http://tribaldance.site.vu/

just spread the word to artists for now please, the site is still in the beginning... :ph34r:

comments and ideas are welcome!

Boom

Serguei

great job serquei !! :)

i will ask somebody who would like to show on the site...

and what abou show on/releases category in artists profile ??

just below bio:

small icons with covers of releases where artist had been released and link to release...

for example in yours and my profile link to V/A marguerite :)

what do you think about it ??

Axe the table based markup and it'll be much easier to update and manage - especially with one CSS file for all the pages... ;)

For example:

<html>
<head>
<link rel="Stylesheet" type="text/css" href="styles.css" media="screen">
<title>title</title>
</head>
<body>
<div id="header"></div>
<div id="navigation"><ul><li><a href="#">artists</a></li><li><a href="#">releases</a></li></ul></div>
<div id="maincontent"></div>
</body>
</html>

Then styled with CSS. No? :)

great job serquei !! :)

i will ask somebody who would like to show on the site...

and what abou show on/releases category in artists profile ??

just below bio:

small icons with covers of releases where artist had been released and link to release...

for example in yours and my profile link to V/A marguerite :)

what do you think about it ??

598377[/snapback]

yes, is a good idea.

i'm thinking of creating a link in the artists page, like "artist releases", that would jump to other artist page where the links to the released material (va, album, tracks) would be, along with a player (this player can be central or individual)

Axe the table based markup and it'll be much easier to update and manage - especially with one CSS file for all the pages...  ;)

For example:

<html>
<head>
<link rel="Stylesheet" type="text/css" href="styles.css" media="screen">
<title>title</title>
</head>
<body>
<div id="header"></div>
<div id="navigation"><ul><li><a href="#">artists</a></li><li><a href="#">releases</a></li></ul></div>
<div id="maincontent"></div>
</body>
</html>

Then styled with CSS. No? :)

598405[/snapback]

indeed :)

i'm hard-coding for now, creating things, and then i'll create the CSS of the layout properties to guide the whole site

indeed :)

i'm hard-coding for now, creating things, and then i'll create the CSS of the layout properties to guide the whole site

598533[/snapback]

Do you not use CSS for design? HTML is designed as a structural markup, not a presentational one... And if you just quit the whole table based way of thinking then you could cut your page weight in half at least, you wouldn't have to do as much managing at all... in fact, when you can change your whole design using a different stylesheet (without editing any of your HTML pages), then CSS starts to look extremely appetizing. ;)

And forgive me for just ripping your site to shreds, but why have you got a flash navigation when the buttons are just a simple colour change? You can do this with a text link, surely. ;)

I'd also like to point out that areas should be available to the user in no more than 3 clicks - if users are clicking forever to get to sections of your site, they're more than likely to give up. Drop down menus are a good way of minimizing clicks on your site...

i'm thinking of creating a link in the artists page, like "artist releases", that would jump to other artist page where the links to the released material (va, album, tracks) would be, along with a player (this player can be central or individual)

598532[/snapback]

Why not just have the releases on the artist page (tracklist, cover art, short description)? And then when they clicked on it then it would go to the release ID in the database?

All points you'll need to consider if you are creating 1000s of pages for artists, releases etc.