Old school nostalgia

Trolsk

it's the mysticism and the pure feeling that was overloaded in the melodic style

and the real psychedelia in the psychedelic if you get me.

BUT mainly it was the story...most tracks had something to say...something different...the diversity was there.(of course there were many crappy releases)

goa brought a certain feeling and spirit with it's music productions under this style.

this feeling is gone...

592423[/snapback]

Yes. Oh, yes. Psytrance is dead :(<_<

I went for both but more of the twisted style. That's what I associate with goa. Those crazy wicked sounds. And now I hear that referred to as hippie trance. :lol:

Man, that's crazy. It's only 10 years old, and now it's hippie. But I guess it's nothing different than, say, rock. If in 1965 you listened to Bill Haley, I'm sure, people would think of you as a yesterday'er ... B)

I voted for 'both, but more psychedelic'.

I just love the sound of all those old TIP (Orichalcum, Psychopod/Koxbox, The Infinity Project, Doof), Matsuri (Prana, Quirk, Sandman, Transwave, Digitalis), Transient (Cosmosis, Slide), Dragonfly (Hallucinogen, Shakta, UX, Pleiadians), Flying Rhino (Slinky Wizard, Technossomy, The Green Nuns)... I'm not the biggest fan for melodic music style, though I ocasionally listen to it.

What I really miss from old-school psy/goa though, is the production. I know it may sound funny, because today we have much better equipement, more powerful computers and crazier effects. These are all good things, but in hands of most of producers today it results in a very sterille, crystal clear & overproduced / overpolished sound. The sounds I like are more 'alive', kinda random and much more textured. I don't care for the bass to be huge, kicks to be punchy and hi-hats to kill my hearing with their sharpness. I prefer it to be smooth and balanced like it was back in the days, when everyone used analogue / hardware digital synths, effects & mixers.

Today's music sounds too much digitised & quantised for me. I prefer imperfections of old psy/goa - that's what I really miss :)

Edited by antic

jea, well somebody really wrong IMO

slide puts a story in his tracks.

i've listened their album, i heard them live at the boom. to me their performance was one hour of "wow, that's a really cool sound" or "hey, nice bassline". but i couldn't recognize one track from another. 1 hour non-stop intelligent blips and blops. but no story to it......... the only track i kind of like is secret surroundings, maybe it's because it isn't such a mess as everything else?

592539[/snapback]

It's exactly how I feel about Derango and why I miss the old school psychedelia, back then there was melodies and a story, now it's just too random and/or lacking evolution. One notable exception is of course Psykovsky's debut album, a modern masterpiece in my opinion.

whats this shit with derango man? i havent even heard a single track from him,but i keep seeing his name popping up EVERYWHERE! whats the deal? :huh:

592465[/snapback]

there are 3 free tracks given for free by them in the Music Promotion section...

You should also check the album too...A bit different style. Review @ 2005 section...

also interview here: http://www.sonic-energy.net/core/content/view/39/25/

it's the mysticism and the pure feeling that was overloaded in the melodic style

BUT mainly it was the story...most tracks had something to say...something different...the diversity was there.(of course there were many crappy releases)

goa brought a certain feeling and spirit with it's music productions under this style.

this feeling is gone...

592423[/snapback]

AMEN! Couldn't have said it better myself. It's like oldschool made you understand that there was so much more out there, it made you look beyond your everyday life, up to the stars, to a new spirituality... Today it's all about having a good time on some beats, like most electronic music. The main message today is "hey, let's all get high and have fun!". There's no "out there" dimension anymore IMO. I remeber back in the days I'd read about a lot of people going to Goa and completley changing their lifestyles afterwards because they just couldn't stand living their normal materialistic life after having such a mind-opening experience. I NEVER hear such stories anymore today... Now it's "so I snorted a line of coke and 2 lines of speed, then I popped some Es and maaan!!! The music was awesome!! This is the best DJ I've ever heard in my life!!! 10!!!!". Few seem to be aware that when you're so high you could listen to fukken Britney Spears and think it's the best music in the world...

whats this shit with derango man? i havent even heard a single track from him,but i keep seeing his name popping up EVERYWHERE! whats the deal? :huh:

592465[/snapback]

The shit is that some people in the psytrance scene cannot live without an idol to adore... and they all got tired of waiting for Hallucinogen or Pleiadians to release their 3rd album ;)

• 2 weeks later...

this feeling is gone...

592423[/snapback]

i agree the diversity is gone

i agree      the diversity is gone

601551[/snapback]

I don't agree... have you really purchased everything that is coming out these days?

there were crappy releases coming out 10 years ago too...

alot of music doesn't get discovered until it is a few years old, due to oversight...

I think some people are WAY too hard on modern psy...

Just because one hasn't found much current music that has been released that they like doesn't make it all crap...

both, but more of the melodic style...

the stuff with which I got into the whole goa thing was melodic goatrance only ... Dimension 5, AP & others. But then I got to see Koxbox live and that somewhat disrupted the "melodic only" thing. That Koxbox sound flashed me too and nowadays when I hear it again I also have to think of the past. But generally the melodic style flashes me more.

What I really miss from old-school psy/goa though, is the production. I know it may sound funny, because today we have much better equipement, more powerful computers and crazier effects. These are all good things, but in hands of most of producers today it results in a very sterille, crystal clear & overproduced / overpolished sound. The sounds I like are more 'alive', kinda random and much more textured. I don't care for the bass to be huge, kicks to be punchy and hi-hats to kill my hearing with their sharpness. I prefer it to be smooth and balanced like it was back in the days, when everyone used analogue / hardware digital synths, effects & mixers.

Today's music sounds too much digitised & quantised for me. I prefer imperfections of old psy/goa - that's what I really miss :)

592832[/snapback]

completely agree!

all this emphasis on "blasting", and "killargh production"

bwerk, useless power-wanking.

if everything sounds crystal clear, there is no room for your own imagination to work with the sounds. imagination is what psy is all about. away with this useless emphasis on crystal clear production.

If there's one think I miss in most trance today it's the inventiveness; the sense of 'no rules' and the feeling that there's an infinite musical landscape out there to be discovered. Many producers these days seem to confine themselves in a few small towns on the border between the Undiscovered Country and Whatsgonebefore... I think the mountains scare them.

If there's one think I miss in most trance today it's the inventiveness; the sense of 'no rules' and the feeling that there's an infinite musical landscape out there to be discovered.  Many producers these days seem to confine themselves in a few small towns on the border between the Undiscovered Country and Whatsgonebefore... I think the mountains scare them.

602180[/snapback]

Indeed, and that's why I want psytrance parties to be replaced by psychedelic parties. I want the focus to be on the experience rather than on the label. There's lots of fun and psychedelic music out there but it's not getting played at psytrance parties because it's not labelled as psytrance, and that's just stupid.

Indeed, and that's why I want psytrance parties to be replaced by psychedelic parties. I want the focus to be on the experience rather than on the label. There's lots of fun and psychedelic music out there but it's not getting played at psytrance parties because it's not labelled as psytrance, and that's just stupid.

602188[/snapback]

examples ?

examples ?

602215[/snapback]

Aphex Twin, Monolake, Kaito, Wisp, Murcof, Venetian Snares, S.U.M.O., Kosma, etc.

Personally, I'd love to go to a party where they play techno, deep house, psytrance, jazz, samba, soul in a playful celebrating way.

I'd love to have more singing in psychedelic music, but not the awful new age crap that psytrance clings to. Listen to the first four tunes on Tom Middletons second disc on Sound of the Cosmos, that's a nice mix of vocals, depth and vibe, and no generic ethnic samples ala psytrance. Another good example of deep psychedelic music is James Holdens mix Balance 005.

I wouldn't mind some groovy house music, the 12 hour grooveless zombie stomp of psytrance isn't all that exciting. Something like S.U.M.O's remix compilation Rebounces would be very nice, and lots of celebrating vocals in that one.

Aphex Twin, Monolake, Kaito, Wisp, Murcof, Venetian Snares, S.U.M.O., Kosma, etc.

Personally, I'd love to go to a party where they play techno, deep house, psytrance, jazz, samba, soul in a playful celebrating way.

I'd love to have more singing in psychedelic music, but not the awful new age crap that psytrance clings to. Listen to the first four tunes on Tom Middletons second disc on Sound of the Cosmos, that's a nice mix of vocals, depth and vibe, and no generic ethnic samples ala psytrance. Another good example of deep psychedelic music is James Holdens mix Balance 005.

I wouldn't mind some groovy house music, the 12 hour grooveless zombie stomp of psytrance isn't all that exciting. Something like S.U.M.O's remix compilation Rebounces would be very nice, and lots of celebrating vocals in that one.

602263[/snapback]

sounds like you're ready for IDM :)

completely agree!

all this emphasis on "blasting", and "killargh production"

bwerk, useless power-wanking.

if everything sounds crystal clear, there is no room for your own imagination to work with the sounds. imagination is what psy is all about. away with this useless emphasis on crystal clear production.

601702[/snapback]

I'm with ya, bro. ;)