best/ worst live performance ever

supergroover

Best : AB Didgeridoo oblivion.

This guy is basically a one man band, he sits in a chair, has a didgie taped so that it stays in place without hands, a small set of electric drums on his lap (the ones that look like airline food trays) and some effect pedals etc... gear, brilliant!

590734[/snapback]

That reminds me: Pan American was also a great live act. He played all sorts of instruments and futuristic noise-making gadgets, including stuff he clearly made himself.

What was wrong with Autechre?

590765[/snapback]

Well Kevin Drumm actually opened for them, and it was the nastiest, noisiest crap I've ever heard. I've never witnessed so many people wishing the performer would just leave, or die. So it didn't set a good mood for Autechre and their own brand of what, for me, has become noise.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been to many lives but the best also for me is Hallucinogen on 2 occasions at the First Glade and Twisted party in London 2004. He was crap though at Samothraki 2002, but he had technical problems.

Worst: Many bad acts at festivals so I can't really claim who is the worst.

Although I've been to a night that Eskimo was good. Northumbria uni in Newcastle 3 years ago. His DJ set wasn't bad at all!

First of all, I have to say that I find the word "live" in regards to a psytrance festival a joke.

Even though it is the artist itself on stage playing his own stuff, there´s nothing live about it in my book. For all I know, they might as well put on one of their CDs and jiggle around on stage every now and then. In that respect, I think only Ozric Tentacles at this year´s sonica would qualify as a live-act, since they were playing instruments.

I have yet to see something worthy of calling itself a "live-act". If Simon Posford could go on a stage and play Hallucinogen tunes on a KORG synth, tweak and do all his sonic sorcery on stage in real time, instead of just hiding behind the equipment and play his old, old, incredibly old tunes with his usual "enthusiasm" (which is about as intense as my own when I do my tax return) I´d be really blimmin´ impressed!! :blink: But it´s unlikely and - most likely - physically impossible :) ... Anyway:

Worst:

Hmmm... <_< Tough one. I´ve seen many livesets. Some good, some not quite so good... Nothing I would term 100 % bad or horrible. About 90 % of the livesets at festivals are all sounding the same. DJ cut-and-paste, DJ some-cunt and Psy-whatever "liveact" from Israel or Mexico doesn´t actually blow my skirts up. One standout, tho, was Infected at Sonica. Duvdev´s "singing" was about as out of place as an ashtray on a motorcycle. Yuch :angry:

Best:

Easy - Youth at Sonica. A gorgeous buffet of electronic and ethnic music - especially the progressive segment as the sun was setting was amazing. Plus, he sure knows how to move around on stage.

Other standouts...

A big applause to Raja Ram at Earthcore 2004. I´ve never seen such a display of energy from a DJ. It was hot as hell and he played shitty formulaic full-on for 2 hours but I was laughing my ass off seeing him bouncing around behind the machinery. What a show :lol:

I always enjoy Ott at the festivals.. Always smiling and waving to the audience, always playing funny old reggae-tunes and always looking like he has a good time.

I always enjoy Ott at the festivals.. Always smiling and waving to the audience, always playing funny old reggae-tunes and always looking like he has a good time.

590925[/snapback]

Yeah, Ott was fun, and seemed to be having a very good time.

Yeah, Ott was fun, and seemed to be having a very good time.

590936[/snapback]

I was sure having a good time :lol: .

I´ve heard rumours of some live-acts doing a rather unusual "live"-set, involving live instruments, e.g. Haldolium and James Reipas. Is this true?

Also, I´d like to get back to my bashing of Simon Posfords "live sets" and his lack of enthusiasm in my previous post. His Younger Brother-sets seem to be the exception. He was actually looking like he enjoyed himself at this year´s Sonica, even smiling and pulling faces. Most unusual and a welcome development. :rolleyes:

True, it´ll never be truly "live"... But an occasional smile and slightly mad dancing is highly infectious. It is a wonderful signal to send out to your crowd if you actually seem to be enjoying your own music. ;)

Hmmm... <_< Tough one. I´ve seen many livesets. Some good, some not quite so good... Nothing I would term 100 % bad or horrible. About 90 % of the livesets at festivals are all sounding the same. DJ cut-and-paste, DJ some-cunt and Psy-whatever "liveact" from Israel or Mexico doesn´t actually blow my skirts up. One standout, tho, was Infected at Sonica. Duvdev´s "singing" was about as out of place as an ashtray on a motorcycle. Yuch :angry:

590925[/snapback]

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

never heard this one :)!

Best..

Kiss..(great show)

Dead can dance (awsome performance)

-As for psytrance

Infectec Mushroom....yes... back in the days they werent rockstars, and before the scene here in mex got shity, it was in a very small party back in 2000 i just remember we all got mad at the same time the party turned into one ggroup of perople in the same fequency..no posing..no worshiping the djs

-

Techno- Green Velvet i think its considered a dj set but he sings and that makes it a nice show

I´ve heard rumours of some live-acts doing a rather unusual "live"-set, involving live instruments, e.g. Haldolium and James Reipas. Is this true?

590988[/snapback]

Do you mean like this, in a 'live act using instruments as a regular part of their show' stylee?

http://triskelemanagement.com/pictures/alb...ooodtof/adj.jpg (OOOD live in Zurich, Xmas Eve 2005)

Or maybe like this, in a 'live act bringing in additional performers for a special occasion' stylee?

http://www.psypix.net/pix/albums/userpics/10088/100_0997.JPG (Voice of Cod at Glade 2006, featuring Paul Didge).

Or do I misunderstand the question?

Worst : Hallucinogen.

Everything he played was on one dvd, his performance was basically just opening/closing channels on a big-ass mackie desk. A lot of synths etc were lent from various persons for use as "props" on the stage + the set itself was a potpourri of songs from the two albums. later on I downloaded a live set of his frmo some other place and it sounded almost identical.

590734[/snapback]

The worst live you've ever seen and you're not trolling? So was this in Finland? Makasiinit? Kaapelitehdas? Tell me cos I was at both and would love to dl a live like that..

OH and my worst by far was Infected Mushroom about a year ago, or perhaps the performance was good.. but the music.. WTF Posted Image

best:

Sienis

talpa

electrypnose

dronebixie

penta

worst:

3. Infected Mushroom

2. Jörg

1. SKAZI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <_< reeeeediculous!!! :angry:

best techno: SUBHEAD!!!

best experimental: APHEX TWIN!!!

best acid: the Weathermen! RA-X! encephaloid disturbance!

best rock: Rammstein!

best ambient: tetsu inoue, Pete namlook, scanner

best tek: metek

best breakcore: droon

best absolute bullshit: Eddy W.

well, you must have liked it, there is no other reason anybody here on Psynews would go on such a gig except that he likes Eskimo, because everyone on here knows how bad he is!

:lol:

just kidding ;)

Though I'd be interested what devil rode you to go to an ESKIMO gig???

590370[/snapback]

Glade Festival. People just scattered when he came on.

I don't know what was the "best" technically etc, but some of my best live concert memories has been:

-KoxBox live in Oslo, Norway (1997 I think)

-Toirés live in Morocco 2001 (perfect place and fantastic live show)

-Total Eclipse live at Sola Luna, Greece 2001) (all their old classics..)

-Jaïa live at Samothraki Dance Festival, Greece 2002

-Orbital live at Arvika festival (Sweden 2002)

-Juno Reactor live at Arvika festival, Sweden 2006

Last live performances I saw were very nice: Sub6 and Cosmic Tone on New Year's. I can't judge how live they actually were but I did like the music they played (Cosmic Tone sounded way more varied than on his CDs...) and I was dancing all the time.

I did see some more acts in my early days (five years ago or something) but I can't remember who I really liked. I've also seen Infected Mushroom about two years ago and I did like them a lot. Again, I can't judget how live they were but at least Duvdev was not singing and I do like the I'm The Supervisor album so...

i thought the opening act on boom this year was problely one of the best i've seen/heard

and the worst is by far kino oko.

that might've been some technical problems, but it fucking sucked anyhow.

funny guys though.

i don't mind artists not playing wholeheartedly live, I put much more value into energies than into technical things.

I'd rather have a 'buddha' just pressing play and dancing, giving nice energies, than an oversized ego behind a desk with 40 synthesizers, and no contact with the audience or the atmosphere.

nomatter how phat it sounds if the DJ or liveact can't weave energies it doesn't matter how tight they play.

590733[/snapback]

no, i didnt received any technical problems during my live, but sometimes it is out of control, thats right. but i dont find it wrong, its specific for my live set. of course it can be problem for some people.

also i have only one case with eqipement hehe, not 40 synthesizers. and with one thing i must agree, i was closed for audience. only thing i emited was my music. i dont jump on the stage and dont put my hands in the air when beat comes, not my cup of tea. maybe next time, ok? :)

Astral Projection...97 - power gen,let there be light.great party...

591659[/snapback]

Astral Projection was in Estonia too at 96 or 97.. don't remember, have to check flyers.. then they did well also.. but anyway, i don't really like them anymore.. power gen and other older tracks were better than the stuff they're doing nowadays..

but anyway, someone mentioned Infected Mushroom @ sonica '05 - indeed.. that was the worst live i've seen.

i don't mind artists not playing wholeheartedly live, I put much more value into energies than into technical things.

I'd rather have a 'buddha' just pressing play and dancing, giving nice energies, than an oversized ego behind a desk with 40 synthesizers, and no contact with the audience or the atmosphere.

nomatter how phat it sounds if the DJ or liveact can't weave energies it doesn't matter how tight they play.

590733[/snapback]

i guess you haven't seen aphex twin play? i don't give a damn if they clap, jump or do triple somersault's... i'm going there to hear good music and hopefully with some interaction... if i want to see people dancing and having a good time i look down at the floor. i'm one of those that thinks a performer can transmit a lot more energy through his music than his physical qualities. Really good musicians are -sometimes- studio nerds, that happens is not uncommon in other scenes... and while they might have not practicied the macarena to dance while they press play, they know their shit... so... i mean... eitherway... i'll take the nerd B)

i'll come back to fill this one properly... later...

Astral in Estonia so early !?

How come  :blink:

Not that I wasn't like 10 years old then..

592598[/snapback]

yep.. these days we had big goa/psytrance parties in old factories and other sites.. but Astral was in "sinine paviljon". Cosmosis was also here and Lunar Asylum + some others. Were great parties... I have most of the flyers since '94, if you're interested, i can look up the exact dates and acts.

Yea, James Reipas play live so that they have the "backbone" of the songs pre-recorded but on top of that they have a live band (gtr, bass, percussionists, drums, flutes & assorted whirlygigs) which play and jam to the tunes, good show imo.

Atmos: great music

Son Kite: great music made by real musicians

Highlight Tribe: great music made by real musicians on actual instruments :)

SUN-project around 1999: I was getting into the whole emectronic music thing rather than my previous love: guitar-bands. & then I discovered a live-act which combined both: aWESOME!