stealers

Oopie

WTF!?

Red Resonant Moon does NOT sound like Spiritual Healing.

Ok.Maybe the lead a little,but on topic  realy I can't name any right now but there are MANY songs that sound alike, everybody is stealing from everybody, nothing new.

589102[/snapback]

where are your ears?

try 6:00-6:30 and come again.

But it's easy to copy someone else without wanting to. Many artists use the same sample CD's (boring) or the same presets on the vsti synths and even original melodies can sound un-original and "ripped off" because subconsious you have melodies playing in your head that you heard in the past.

588144[/snapback]

I don't think this could be any more true! I've done it myself before when I've been composing. I'll just make a really cool melody, and later on while listening to some music I'd realise - to my horror - that I'd inadvertently made a melody very similiar to one already done before. Sometimes I've really like the melody too, so it's a toss-up to decide whether it's too close to the original, or whether it's different enough that you won't be accused of ripping the original artist off.

So I don't think it's unlikely that professional psytrance producers would do the exact same thing. They may not even realise that they've done it. I guess it depends exactly how similiar the melodies are. If they're almost completely identical and use a similiar, if not exact same synth sound, then they're likely a ripoff. Especially if the rest of their style doesn't seem to be very unique either. But if the melody only sounds similiar, or just resembles the original melody, it's likely that they did it by accident. In which case you shouldn't judge the artist too harshly, as it's possible they don't even know they've accidently made a similiar melody to one used already. You really have to decide yourself just how similiar they are, and whether the rest of the track's originality can make up for it.

In regards to Nystagmus, I must be an idiot. I cannot hear these similarities everyone keeps mentioning at all! I listened to Consciousness followed by the Shen and didn't hear anything similiar! I don't think Nystagmus is very similiar to Infected Mushroom at all. So it's pretty likely it was unintentional... Of course I'd take Infected Mushroom over Nystagmus any day.

And yeah, most music rips off other music. Making something completely unique and original almost never happens. It's the same with art, or anything really. There's only a finite amount of different notes and scales to use. Society is built on taking what's already been done and improving on it. My art teacher at school use to always say "You don't have to re-invent the wheel," and it's very true. You have to use the knowledge of what people have done before you, if you want to make good music.

That's why you shouldn't pick out bits of music and decide how similiar it is to something else. A song can include lots of elements from other music, yet still the whole song overall can be very unique! It's the big picture you need to look at, and not the individual elements that make it up! :D

I don't think this could be any more true! I've done it myself before when I've been composing. I'll just make a really cool melody, and later on while listening to some music I'd realise - to my horror - that I'd inadvertently made a melody very similiar to one already done before. Sometimes I've really like the melody too, so it's a toss-up to decide whether it's too close to the original, or whether it's different enough that you won't be accused of ripping the original artist off.

So I don't think it's unlikely that professional psytrance producers would do the exact same thing. They may not even realise that they've done it. I guess it depends exactly how similiar the melodies are. If they're almost completely identical and use a similiar, if not exact same synth sound, then they're likely a ripoff. Especially if the rest of their style doesn't seem to be very unique either. But if the melody only sounds similiar, or just resembles the original melody, it's likely that they did it by accident. In which case you shouldn't judge the artist too harshly, as it's possible they don't even know they've accidently made a similiar melody to one used already. You really have to decide yourself just how similiar they are, and whether the rest of the track's originality can make up for it.

And yeah, most music rips off other music. Making something completely unique and original almost never happens. It's the same with art, or anything really. There's only a finite amount of different notes and scales to use. Society is built on taking what's already been done and improving on it. My art teacher at school use to always say "You don't have to re-invent the wheel," and it's very true. You have to use the knowledge of what people have done before you, if you want to make good music.

That's why you shouldn't pick out bits of music and decide how similiar it is to something else. A song can include lots of elements from other music, yet still the whole song overall can be very unique! It's the big picture you need to look at, and not the individual elements that make it up! :D

589266[/snapback]

Posted Image

Ok then, try Bypass Unit - Liquid Prisma and Shakta - Lepton Head.

Seek deep inside, tell me what you find, come on.

and OK I think I will repeat myself it's realy not the same lead Spiritual Healing and Red Resonant Moon it's kinda like these 2 examples.

- Bypass Unit - Liquid Prisma and Shakta - Lepton Head.

But they sure do look very alike.

In addition to the fact that i don't hear any ressemblance between this version of Alpha Centauri & High Energy Protons, this Juno Reactor track appeared first in the Novamute compilation mid-92 while Alpha centauri appeared on the Dragonfly 12'' in 94.

How about the bassline in these two tracks:

Infected Mushroom - Scorpion Frog

Nystagmus - Tommy is Dead

It's identical... And it's damn good. I think this is a good way of improving music, not stealing. Maybe it's because Nystagmus is a very talented artist aswell and not just some copycat wannabe, but I think it's only fair to use a something from one song to improve another.

Edit: Oh, and the bassline isn't just the 16th note bassline pumping :) It's a nice melodic bassline. It makes the groove groovier :D

Hehe, at one time i thought Hallucinogen stole a melody from one of my trax. But in fact he made his track first, in like 2001 (i've heard it on that Hallucinogen - Live @ DNA 2001 set) and even tho i've never heard it before it had the same melody as on my track, even the sound was very similar ;) It's funny how you can accidently make the same melody/sound without knowing :P

where's the lobster pron??  :(

588101[/snapback]

Posted Image

Not sure. But GMS did.

589101[/snapback]

someone else did recently too...

oh!

blisargon demogorgon - save the tv junkie...