Trance genres of choice

acidkills

Shouldn't Psy and Goa be combined? As I understand it Goa/Psytrance/Psychedelic Trance are all the same. If not, would someone point out the difference between them.

587108[/snapback]

To start I want to say that I'm using the words "Psychedelic Trance" and "Goa-Trance" for the same kind of music! But what really is Goa-Trance? Because Goa-Trance came out of New Beat, Gothic, New Wave, Industrial, Electro, Detroit & Psychedelic Rock it has an unique sound that is more complicated as the most modern Electronic dance music!

I can't give you a definition of Psychedelic Trance simply because there's NO definition!! But I can give You some typical things of Goa-Trance :

-The time of a track is generally around 8'30", but can be between 6'00" and 12'00" ... sometimes more, sometimes under 6'00" (especially on mixed compilations), but too short tracks are generally hard to get into.

-The beat is generally 4/4 and around 135-150 BPM ... sometimes less, rarely more!

-In the music there's a constant use of strange and psychedelic sounds, and that gives a strange atmosphere. Sometimes those sounds are frogs, barking dogs, crying baby's but mostly you can't describe it... You simply have to hear it!! Also used are the famous acid or 303 sounds, and even guitars, who drive people completely crazy!

-Most Goa (but NOT all) is also very melodic.

-The music is mostly very full on, good to dance...

-The basslines are mostly harder and deeper as from normal Trance or Techno.

-The combination of all those things make this music very good for dancing, tripping and listening...!

So like you see Psychedelic Trance is something different. Before I end this it's maybe good to know the explanation of some terms used in English for some kinds of Goa-Trance:

"Nizhonot" = The cheesy, pretty simple and happy Goa-trance, the most famous Nizhonot producer is Holy Men

"Minimalistic Trance" = A rather new and progressive style, it's made out of a hard bassline, with only a few but well chosen Psychedelic sounds, very good to dance! Famous artists are Intact Instinct, Son Kite, Die Sonne,...

"Morning Trance" = The melodic dream-trance, it's good to dance during a sunrise and after... And mostly the melodies are really touching! For example: Yahel, MFG, Shidapu, Hyperion,...

"Psychedelic Ambient" = This is the softer Psychedelic Trance, great for chilling or listening at home when you're tired.

Shouldn't Psy and Goa be combined? As I understand it Goa/Psytrance/Psychedelic Trance are all the same. If not, would someone point out the difference between them.

587108[/snapback]

Goa is more a specific genre...

Psy is short for psychedelic...

the psychedelic element in music is what I love the most...

be it psy-gressive, psytrance, darkPSY...

its the layering that makes music more psychedelic... goa is definitely psychedelic...

but not all psychedelic is goa....

no nitzonot? suomi weirdpsy? psycore?

smells like an incomplete poll here!!!  :D

... so I went for "others"

589341[/snapback]

im for neuro

589906[/snapback]

I think they would fit under wither psy or other...

I agree at the incompletness...

why can't we choose more than one anyways?