hardware synth for learning

im thinking of buying me a "real" synth, so i can better learn to create nice sounds and to understand

i mean i can make nice patches with softsynth, but i dont know i want some real knobs to touch.

what do you recommend?

i dont wanna spend too much on it, and yeah i have no idea about hardware synths :P

all i know is those famous names

im thinking of buying me a "real" synth, so i can better learn to create nice sounds and to understand

i mean i can make nice patches with softsynth, but i dont know i want some real knobs to touch.

what do you recommend?

i dont wanna spend too much on it, and yeah i have no idea about hardware synths :P

585865[/snapback]

I you want to learn how synths work, I suggest you buy a midi controller and assign each knob on your softsynth to a knob on your midi controller. That would be a lot cheaper than buying a hardware synth :) The BCR2000 has a lot of knobs and is quite cheap too.

Cheap second hand synths are: Roland Juno 106, Novation KS rack, Novation Nova, Nord Lead rack (already a little bit more expensive) Korg Poly 61(m), Korg Poly 800 etc. These are the only ones I can think of at the moment.

If you really want to buy a hardware synth to learn basic (subtractive) synthesis, you should go for the Nova or KS rack. They'll fit your needs the most I think. The Nova even has FM possibilities, but they're a bit limited.

But remember: once you go hardware, you'll never want to go back to software :D

edit: if you REALLY want to learn synthesis, look for a Nord Modular :) You can find them for €500-700.

thx for your reply.

yea i have a bcr and stuff, and i can make nice sounds, but i want to feel the synth :)

a real one, cause friend of mine owns a virus, and its complete different feeling if you actually stand in front af such a rack, then haven it virtual.

i dunno, its more inspiration

and its complete different feeling if you actually stand in front af such a rack, then haven it virtual.

585902[/snapback]

it is :)

check out

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...ard%2FSynth#man

and

http://www.soundonsound.com/articles/Reviews.php

for reviews

thx man nice reads, it think i will report back here, when im in actual decision of which to buy,

havin a read now

585925[/snapback]

I'm going to buy me a Nova and a Korg EA (MkII perhaps)

2 nice synths :) and 2nd hand very cheap

I agree that it adds a lot to the music making process by having a hard synth in your set-up. I also agree with the midi controller recommendation for something cheap and highly useful, especially one that your software recognizes. Otherwise, any midi keyboard will work for at least simple processes. I'm using an old Korg that I had long before my software and it works nicely, but with no knobs to tweak, except for the obvious programmable joystick. Serves the purpose, though, because I prefer to play my melodies and rhythms live.

This is what u should have.

Posted Image

Forget Viruses and such if u want true analog sound better than Microkorg, Moog and such.. This is a true anti virus.. I bought it yesterday and I overslleped my work today.. Its really easy and simple, u dont need knobs just push and turn

Posted Image

and play, its that simple.. U can use it as rythm machine also.. Ive got whole bunch of VSTs but I think Ill forgot them since I have this little thingy..

Latter when u will have the money u can buy some MIDI keyboard like M-Audio Axiom to go with it like I plan to do if u really want that knobs, pads and sliders.. But u can control everthing with Micron so there is no need for MIDI controller for start..

I can sell you Novation Nova right away for 400€ plus postage. ;) Definetly worth of every cent, do not underestimate this synth!

587002[/snapback]

I can get it for €300 - €350 :P

What's the reason you're selling it if it's such a great synth? :)

I can get it for €300 - €350 :P

What's the reason you're selling it if it's such a great synth? :)

587040[/snapback]

Hehe, good question.. Mostly good equipment is sold to buy a better one.. Its not usual that expensive equipment will be broken or something.. But u never know so watch out..

This is what u should have.

Posted Image

Forget Viruses and such if u want true analog sound better than Microkorg, Moog and such..  This is a true anti virus.. I bought it yesterday and I overslleped my work today.. Its really easy and simple, u dont need knobs just push and turn

Posted Image

and play, its that simple.. U can use it as rythm machine also.. Ive got whole bunch of VSTs but I think Ill forgot them since I have this little thingy..

Latter when u will have the money u can buy some MIDI keyboard like M-Audio Axiom to go with it like I plan to do if u really want that knobs, pads and sliders.. But u can control everthing with Micron so there is no need for MIDI controller for start..

586410[/snapback]

Such crap - I've used the micron a lot among lots of other synths. It's just a cheap digital synth that doesn't even come close in comparision to the ones you mentioned (besides the microkorg). And it is NOT true analog sounds, not even close. But it's okay for some sounds.

what do you recommend?

585865[/snapback]

Frankly I don't know much about it yet but the new Roland SH-201 may seems interesting for you. It's simple, clear and - if it lives up to the SH name - very wellsounding.

You should also check out Novation X-station and - if you're on very low budget - a microkorg.

I wont even comment carnage, its not worth it.. Just READ the REVIEW HERE and HERE IS ANOTHER IMPORTANT ONE and u will know what Im talking about from person far more experienced than some on this forum..

Alesis Micron IS analog modeling keyboard and HAS MUCH WARMER, TRUER ANALOG SOUND than microKORG

Yesterday I played with it and I tried to get some old school goa sounds, and I tell u, they were almost identical with the sound I wanted, just needs a little more tweeking..

ANOTHER GREAT REVIEW HERE

I qouote from one review:

"There are filters galore on offer here, 20 different types in all, many

are nearly exact replicas of filters from Moog, ARP, Oberheim, and

Roland. I've owned both and aside from the more intelligible vocoder in the

microKORG(I doubt this cause Micron has 40 band vocoder and microKorg 8 band so its up to your logic and common sense to decide) and the ability to run on batteries, there's simply no comparison. The Micron bests the microKORG with decent full size synth

action keys (not the best I've ever experienced, but far from the

worst), and a much warmer, truer analog sound."

I think its clear choice, but u choose..

U know who to blaim if u bring your microKorg home and your girlfriend says to you: What is that ugly thing?

Posted Image

I would be selling it 'cause I need money and I'm not really using it, nor making music anymore. It's definetly not broken, it works like a charm, and I would include rack mount kit in the package.

Anyway, maybe I could sell it for 350€ if buyer pays for postage. Don't know how much it costs if sent abroad tho.

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread!!

so what's a good and cheap synth to learn on> some suggestions have been made but i am still confused. i will maybe get myself one or perhaps a midi keyboard so any help woould be greatly apreciated!!

what synth will be good for its price,and provide all the essentials ?

knobs are essential,there is nothing better than playing with a knob!(ok,playing with a girls nipples is maybe better :P or maybe not :ph34r: )