Plastikman (Richie Hawtin)

Time_Trap

Probably the best known of Richie Hawtin's production aliases, the Plastikman project helped push the minimal aesthetic of techno to relative popularity in the early-mid 1990s, largely on the back of the drum machine track "Spastik", but also via the sound of a modified Roland TB-303.

Around a year ago I first heard Plastikman - Artifakts BC .. Wasn't really impressed..Probably because I was expecting something else and my taste wasn't that evolved.. Around a month ago I listened to Richie Hawtins - Transitions,then Plastikman - Disconnect and recently I got Plastikman - Musik and Plastikman - Consumed .. Great stuff!!

Combining ambient with acid 303 modified sounds as well as [just a bit of] idm and techno beats/minimalistic structures, he manages to create a unique weird futuristic trippy atmosphere...

I've heard some live set of him as well, not really the thing i would dance to but anyways great music for the mind... ;)

I have Pete Namlook + Richie Hawtin - From within 2

The music was good but 1 track had a 7 minute gap of silence which I'm sure has some arty farty merit but which to me just pissed me off :angry:

The rest of the music was quite good though. I've seen the Plastikman - Artifakts CD around a lot recently. I almost bought it thinking it was Artifakt's 1st album.

Respect for RICHIE HAWTIN !

I mean, the guy is among the most prominent musical producers ever. He is one of the best sound engineers around, heck, he even made his own hardware and many softwares... He is the one that invented FINAL SCRATCH.

I have ALL of his albums, as Plastikman and as Richie Hawtin. His music is minimal, colorful, quirky, and at many times pretty psychedelic. I've heard him 2 times by now in the club and in less than 2 weeks, he is coming the third time... I really like his style, he invented his own style and that is for what I respect him the most.

He collaborated with many people, but his most consistent works are the one when he is solo. :D

if you ever get to go see him live then DO, really. One of the best techno DJs i've ever seen, had the crowd in the palm of his hands and did a wikkid job of (really) playing live and DJing

pete namlook = legend

I was once involved in a radio station and i got to interview richie hawtin (!) and to stand 2 meters from the desk watching him beatmix and i can only say it was incredible, that guy is sooooo fast and every transition he makes is perfect.

Any of you know the F.U.S.E album.... one of my all time favourites (goes off to find old vinyl)

Guest Astro Cortex

Big amen to this topic. Everything I've heard by Richie is just excellent: the Plastikman and F.U.S.E. albums as well as the From Within Series.

and abasio, ever considered there's a hidden track at the end of From Within 2? ;):D

and abasio, ever considered there's a hidden track at the end of From Within 2? ;)  :D

586864[/snapback]

Not really. The back of the CD says Future Surfacing (What Lies Ahead) 39:23

I think if the track was meant to be hidden they wouldn't say that the last track was 39 minutes but 24 minutes. It's arty farty nonsense for sure. Shame cause I like all the music but 7 minutes or so of silence freaks us out every time.

If it was a hidden track, that would still grate on my nerves. With CDs now a hidden track is hardly hidden because the CD doesn't stop. I don't get why they don't just put it as a normal track without filling up the CD with silence.

Guest Astro Cortex

Not really. The back of the CD says Future Surfacing (What Lies Ahead)  39:23

I think if the track was meant to be hidden they wouldn't say that the last track was 39 minutes but 24 minutes. It's arty farty nonsense for sure. Shame cause I like all the music but 7 minutes or so of silence freaks us out every time.

If it was a hidden track, that would still grate on my nerves. With CDs now a hidden track is hardly hidden because the CD doesn't stop. I don't get why they don't just put it as a normal track without filling up the CD with silence.

587355[/snapback]

I know the 39:23 on the back cover is a bit misleading, but believe me, they're definitely two separate tracks. I don't get why an artist should make a track with several minutes of silence in it anyways, so it's just the same old "hidden" track idea. Well, I'm not a big fan of that feature either, but what I dislike more about FW2 is track 2, possibly the weakest in the whole series. It's just so "only good" for Namlook/Hawtin standards, if you know what I mean. :)

When I put Plastikman - Closer to my cd player about two years ago I didn't know what to expect. The intro of the first track (Ask Yourself) was freakin awesome. And when I heard the voice sample I couldn't believe my ears. Too shame the rest of the album wasn't that good.

But it's worth bying just for the first track. :)

I know the 39:23 on the back cover is a bit misleading, but believe me, they're definitely two separate tracks. I don't get why an artist should make a track with several minutes of silence in it anyways, so it's just the same old "hidden" track idea. Well, I'm not a big fan of that feature either, but what I dislike more about FW2 is track 2, possibly the weakest in the whole series. It's just so "only good" for Namlook/Hawtin standards, if you know what I mean. :)

587414[/snapback]

You dislike BRAIN TO MIDI ? But it's brilliant ! Are you sure we think of the same track ? :unsure: