Negative feedback

alleycat

How about next time anyone has something bad to say about an artist, dj, or style, they just DONT SAY ANYTHING!! Isnt it a bit odd to see someone writing an extensive critique about how BAD someone is? Isnt it a bit odd, if you hate it so much, why even bother saying anything? It shows that you have at least a little interest in it, if you take the time to tell everyone how bad you thought it was.

Everyone has their opinion, and one persons masterpiece is another's pile of shit. THats the way it always has been, the way it always will be. You cant really dictate to someone the "rules of liking music". Everyone has different ears, maybe they hear something to like that you cant hear. Is that bad? Does that make them any stupider than you? For example, there are people out there that like, and support, and buy, and even dj happy hardcore. To me happycore is the absolute worst style of music ever created with electronic devices. But that doesnt seem to stop those who like it! And get this, they're actually HAVING FUN!!

Imagine that. GOing to a party to HAVE FUN!!

Guest Elysium

How about next time anyone has something bad to say about an artist, dj, or style, they just DONT SAY ANYTHING!!  Isnt it a bit odd to see someone writing an extensive critique about how BAD someone is?  Isnt it a bit odd, if you hate it so much, why even bother saying anything?  It shows that you have at least a little interest in it, if you take the time to tell everyone how bad you thought it was. 

Everyone has their opinion, and one persons masterpiece is another's pile of shit.  THats the way it always has been, the way it always will be.  You cant really dictate to someone the "rules of liking music".  Everyone has different ears, maybe they hear something to like that you cant hear.  Is that bad?  Does that make them any stupider than you?  For example, there are people out there that like, and support, and buy, and even dj happy hardcore.  To me happycore is the absolute worst style of music ever created with electronic devices.  But that doesnt seem to stop those who like it!  And get this, they're actually HAVING FUN!!

Imagine that.  GOing to a party to HAVE FUN!!

585145[/snapback]

a bit edgy there?

How about next time anyone has something bad to say about an artist, dj, or style, they just DONT SAY ANYTHING!!  Isnt it a bit odd to see someone writing an extensive critique about how BAD someone is?  Isnt it a bit odd, if you hate it so much, why even bother saying anything?  It shows that you have at least a little interest in it, if you take the time to tell everyone how bad you thought it was. 

Everyone has their opinion, and one persons masterpiece is another's pile of shit.  THats the way it always has been, the way it always will be.  You cant really dictate to someone the "rules of liking music".  Everyone has different ears, maybe they hear something to like that you cant hear.  Is that bad?  Does that make them any stupider than you?  For example, there are people out there that like, and support, and buy, and even dj happy hardcore.  To me happycore is the absolute worst style of music ever created with electronic devices.  But that doesnt seem to stop those who like it!  And get this, they're actually HAVING FUN!!

585145[/snapback]

It wouldn't be good for any artist to always get positive criticism. But only if the negative criticism is consistent then there's likely some truth to it, and then the artist can choose whether or not to adjust or learn from it.

Isn't this all about peace and love? Well, yes, all right... but it doesn't mean we have to shut our minds off and accept everything with open arms. Have a look at other styles of music; other media... literary criticism, movie reviews, etc. are much more blunt at times than what is considered harsh in psytrance circles. As long as negative feedback is delivered with some thought to it, what is the problem? Sure, the internet is full of misinformed rants and thoughtless abuse, but that's just how things are when you give some measure of publishing powers to anyone and everyone.

I guess it depends. Negative critics are for sure important for every artist. If he/she only hears how great he/she is, then it's rather difficult to evolve his style or get new ideas. Same for partyorganisers, deco artists and so on. The only thing is that sometimes people just fall for negative critics because it's about putting down an artist they hate and so they say everything is shit, no matter how they would like it if somebody else would do the same. This is something I don't really like and I'm not sure if this is what the threadstarter means.

And I've deleted the off-topic threads. Come on people, if you don't care, then don't post. This is not off-topic forum here.

Constructive criticism is always useful. It actually has value to artists and people considering purchasing a release. I agree with whoever it was that mentioned the critique of Movies, fashion etc .....

Just slagging stuff off for no reason is pointless, although it can be fun in Skazi's case. :P

585145[/snapback]

Ok Alleycat, here comes the truth :-) (at least my version of it)

In order for you to have the Good / Positive you NEED the Bad / Negative. So, even if you apply the most die hard hippie peace love and harmony theme to our common communication, we will still need to focus on both the good and the bad. Harmony is balance, this means balance between negative and positive also.

Of course, not everybody does that equally well. If someone starts an "appreciation topic", its defined in the topic that its about how much you appreciate it.. which will, to some extent, lock the path it can take. So, bitching around forever in such a topic is pretty much off topic and rude Id say. However, if all topics were appreciation topics, it would be quite lame, it would signal "we cant handle any truth but our own", essentually equaling a closed instead of open mindset.

What we need is communication which is true to reality and ourselves...

Heres one for you - You do not eleminate the negative by not dealing with it. Actually, you enhance the negative by suppressing it.

- Krell

... essentually equaling a closed instead of open mindset.

...Heres one for you - You do not eleminate the negative by not dealing with it. Actually, you enhance the negative by suppressing it.

- Krell

585377[/snapback]

;)!

Constructive criticism is always useful. It actually has value to artists and people considering purchasing a release.

585362[/snapback]

I agree. I want people to give me constructive criticism on my music. Not just "KILLARR BABA!!!" or "boring dude, shit". Somewhere in between is good.

But of course, it's all a matter of taste, people should be allowed to say what they want. When asked why they feel that way, they should be able to answer for themselfs though.

585145[/snapback]

I don't know. One reason I like this sight is because some people here have similar taste in music to me (something I don't have anymore in real life :( ). So recommendations are given by people I trust I willcheck them out. If everyone is saying something sucks, if they have similar taste to me then I will also probably think it sucks too. Not always but usually it has been the case. So I welcome negative critisism. I often buy CDs blind & occasionally end up with dissapointing shit never to be listened to again (or if I do I regret it <_< ) aince I've been here I've been buying a much higher percentage of stuff I really like & am more easily able to avoid the crap!!

Thank you negative feedback

ps

negative feedbackk should always try & be constructive. "This sucks" only, doesn't help the artist or many of the listeners.

Well if i find something as offending as Eskimo and the likes i will certainly take the time to write my negative feelings about him. Its not about subconsciously liking it but its about conciusly hating it and creating a chain reaction in my brain with cause and effect.

like this:

cause : Eskimo dancing and pretending to play on an unplugged synth.

chain reaction : aaarrrhhghghhghhghghh piece of shit,faker..* punches walls and people*

effect : RANT about ginger man

My thoughts were simply that if you hate it so much, why spend so much energy on it? I guess its possible to Like to Hate something.

Of course criticism is good, constructive or otherwise, but it seems a little fetishitstic to spend so much attention on something that from your perspective is bad.

What is good, and what is bad, but whatever we think it is? The CHristians thought the Muslims in Jerusalem were the bad ones, the Muslims thought it was the Christians. They both thought they had God on their side. They bathed the city in blood for GOd, because they thought they were the good ones.

Im not trying to alienate anyone. Not trying to defend Eskimo (fuck no, guys a wanker). This is just something to think about.

For example, there are people out there that like, and support, and buy, and even dj happy hardcore.  To me happycore is the absolute worst style of music ever created with electronic devices.  But that doesnt seem to stop those who like it!  And get this, they're actually HAVING FUN!!

585145[/snapback]

hey! V/A happy hardcore 1 is a classic :angry:

HAIL TO THE KING!

anyway, back on topic:

Personally i think negative critisism is good if it's told in an honest way.

people who always say how good you actually are just don't know what to say about the music/art cause they have no knowlegde about it.

what can an artist gain from comments like:

-YOU ROCK!!!

-WOOHOOOO I LOVE YOU

-yeah, really nice music/art

-you are so good.

:huh:

love & hate critics are people who have nothing to say but say something anyway.

The best critisism is constructive (can be very very negative)

585145[/snapback]

People do have bad and good musical tastes. Everyone has different ears, maybe you can't hear a shit? But who cares, we are all moving to marshmellowland where there is no thoughts, just MARSHMELLOWS!!! Yiweeyippee!!!

what can an artist gain from comments like:

-YOU ROCK!!!

-WOOHOOOO I LOVE YOU

-yeah, really nice music/art

-you are so good.

love & hate critics are people who have nothing to say but say something anyway.

The best critisism is constructive (can be very very negative)

586988[/snapback]

I agree, the best critisism is constructive.

But sometimes it's just nice to hear that you did something right. Like after a gig. If people walk up and just say "you did a good set, cheers!" I feel good.

I know there's always room for improvement, but it's nice to hear what you're doing is appreciated.

rrrghhh.... well if you all could see into my mind youd understand what I mean, which is, if you hate it so bad, why are you spending so much time talking about it? Thats what I mean by waste of energy.

Here in the US we have politicians whos sole intent seems to be proving how wrong the other guy is, how much of a hypocrite, etc. It seems like theyre more focused on what the others are doing that what they're supposed to be doing. Its like watching all the other cars on the road without paying any attention to your own.

Of course negativity and positivity are matters of perspective. Some ancient cultures believed it was a holy thing to eat the dead, now in our so called modern society we think eating any person is evil. Does that mean it was evil back in ancient times too? Even if the people doing the cannibalism were the kindest, most wonderful people around?

I understand how what Im saying can be misinterpreted as being negative to the negativity. Im merely trying to paint a different picture of the situation, from another perspective.

Not everyone cares enough about music to go deeper into it, sadly this is nowhere more common than electronic music. Some are just looking for a good time, and if that means Skazi and Eskimo, they dont know any better. Just a good time, which they seem to have. All any of us can do is try and show them more, better music, and to just have fun our own way.

585145[/snapback]

One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious! B)

Eat on that you filthy fuckbag cunt...no lol! sorry! =P

yeah i've noticed that its much negative feedback around.....

Just remember one thing:

Music isnt nesceraly good if you like it!

And its not nescerally bad if you dont like it...

I admit, i like lotsa crappy music....lol! =P

If a person has a negative review, i would like to hear exactly what! =D

• 2 weeks later...

Alleycat put it well, sums up my thoughts pretty much. :)

You simply cannot give objective value to music and using time to create something negative is absurd, that's how I see it.

I'm not quite sure of the necessity of positive reviews either. Reading opinions about an album before hearing it just gives prejudices.

Though reviews do have a purpose as a way to promote music and spreading artist's name...