BEATPORT PRICE INCREASE. Nooooooo ! :(

jamez_23

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the letter I sent them last night. Lets see if they listen to my suggestion, it seems fair to me.

"Hi Guys,

1. There are major problems with my account. I have 1 track in my crate and Beatport v.3.0 seems to think that the cost is £54.48. I know that your prices have gone up but I think this is a bit much! (forced attempt at making light of the situation). Please see my attached screenshot. I hope you can rectify this problem as I would like to continue using this account.

Also, may I take this opportunity to make a suggestion? Why do we in the UK pay a disproportionate wav charge? Does it cost anymore for someone in the UK to download a track from you? No, it does not. Why, then, are we paying double? The increase in track cost I can handle, but this is ridiculous.

Suggestion :- Make the wav handling charge 50p. OR, track in line with the current exchange rate keeping with $1 charge, which would be fair on everybody. i.e. 55p or whatever. Please take some time to respond to this suggestion rather than just send a blanket response.

Kind regards,

James"

I mean that I still got the cheaper prices ;)

585139[/snapback]

It's only some countries that see the higher prices. For example, in Germany I'm seeing the €€ prices, but it sounds like people in Sweden and Poland are still seeing the $$ prices, while the UK customers get theirs in pounds sterling.

Rather bullshit, if you ask me.

Y'see - I don't think that Beatport told anyone about this change.

Depending on the legalities of the specific contract between Beatport and the labels, Beatport might not have any legal responsibility to notify the labels of any pricing changes. I looked through a few contracts I had sitting around for other digital stores (unfortunately, I couldn't find the Beatport one, not that the conditions can be mentioned specifically anyways) and the conditions vary.

In a couple contracts, the prices are stated explicitly as a part of the contract. IE, the store would have to have the label sign an addendum to the contact if they wanted to change prices. In others, it is stated explicitly that the store will set the prices. So they can make the price whatever they want, and they don't either have to get permission from the label or even notify them of the raised prices.

My guess is that Beatport has the latter sort of clause in their contract, so they can raise or lower the prices at will without giving their label partners *any* notification. Otherwise, they are setting themselves up for potential legal problems and breach of contract accusations from some labels. But I think they are smarter than that.

(there are also contracts with no mention of price, but that's a legal grey area that would probably go in favor of the store if it came to it)

Thats £22.41 folks. Do Beatport get that extra money???? Mr Elysium didn't seem to be aware the fruits of his labour were now worth more if sold in the UK. SOG don't seem to be aware.

As EP mentioned, it's all on a percentage basis, so both Beatport and the labels get some of the extra. As long as the labels technically own the recordings, the artists have no say on the pricing on Beatport, and neither the label nor Beatport have any legal necessity to inform or get permission from the artists of price changes (unless there happens to be some strange clause in the artist-label contract giving the artist some say in pricing of digital distribution of their tracks, but I wouldn't ever expect to see that). It's all between Beatport and the labels.

Do you think the record labels are going to pleased? To know that consumers would rather P2P their stuff again because of a bunch of stupid American's have just priced their products out of the market?

Its not a sly business move really, is it, at all?

Time will tell. But if they remain within the bounds of their contract with the labels, it really doesn't matter if the labels are pleased. If the labels are upset about the price increases, chances are all they can do is cancel the contract with Beatport. But I'm sure that few if any labels would bother to do that since they will still sell more with Beatport than any other stores.

I'm personally pissed about the pricing changes since I'm based in Germany, and my prices are now in Euros (€1 = $1.28 or so). So my prices have gone up by almost 30%. :angry: Were it an across-the-board price increase for all customers (which they did a year or so ago), I would grumble but deal with it. However, since this price increase only seems to affect certain few countries (not even all countries that use the different currencies), I'm going to shop elsewhere where it's less expensive.

Or, thanks to bubbles......

i just created an account from the UK and logged on via a taiwanese proxy using Hide IP platinum

the prices are in US $

The other solution. ;)

Hey. Thanks for your insight on this. I think that was pretty much spot on. They must be operating within the confines of legal contracts. They must have the final say on prices. As it would seem that payments to labels / artists are by percentage that would seem a fair way to distribute the extra money, most likely with no obligation to inform artists / labels of the changes. It would be an admin nightmare for them, after all. I reckon you're right.

I'm personally pissed about the pricing changes since I'm based in Germany, and my prices are now in Euros (€1 = $1.28 or so).  So my prices have gone up by almost 30%.  :angry: Were it an across-the-board price increase for all customers (which they did a year or so ago), I would grumble but deal with it.  However, since this price increase only seems to affect certain few countries (not even all countries that use the different currencies)

587206[/snapback]

My sentiments exactly. Not a good message to send out. It will have an effect. Like you said; time will tell.

I'm going to shop elsewhere where it's less expensive.

587206[/snapback]

Ain't that the truth. Same here.

Or, thanks to bubbles......

The other solution. ;)

587206[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

It's only some countries that see the higher prices.  For example, in Germany I'm seeing the €€ prices, but it sounds like people in Sweden and Poland are still seeing the $$ prices, while the UK customers get theirs in pounds sterling.

Rather bullshit, if you ask me.

Poland and Sweden are both members of UE, however they are not members of European Monetary Union, therefore they use their own currencies (SEK and PLN respectively) and Euro is not their official currency.

Beatport's policy seems to be charging everyone in USD, except for EMU members which get charged in EUR and UK people that get charged in GBP. Obviously this solutuion have been chosen because 1 EUR = 1.27 USD and 1 GBP = 1.89 USD, while for example 1 PLN = 0.33 USD and 1 SEK = 0.14 USD... Now it should be obvious :)

Poland and Sweden are both members of UE, however they are not members of European Monetary Union, therefore they use their own currencies (SEK and PLN respectively) and Euro is not their official currency.

Beatport's policy seems to be charging everyone in USD, except for EMU members which get charged in EUR and UK people that get charged in GBP. Obviously this solutuion have been chosen because  1 EUR = 1.27 USD and 1 GBP = 1.89 USD, while for example 1 PLN = 0.33 USD and 1 SEK = 0.14 USD... Now it should be obvious :)

587321[/snapback]

Yep....it's more obvious now, but still utter crap, IMO. ;)

Yep....it's more obvious now, but still utter crap, IMO. ;)

587326[/snapback]

Agree, that's not a good way to treat customers, especially if they get to know about this from their bank statement :(

On the other hand, I don't know how are the average salaries in USA, UK and UE. I'm not sure, but I remember reading somewhere that it's around 2.5-3 thousands in each country (in their respective currency)? If it's true, then it's fair to charge them 1$, 1GBP and 1EUR for a track, because in relation to their income it's the same...

I'll get my coat as they say on psy-forum.co.uk ;):lol:

Actually, I just saw the following, which EP posted earlier in this topic.....

I do tend to think it's a mistake since we as artists never heard about any price changes. Actually the labels (and artists via the labels) have to give permission to price changes at beatport so I highly doubt any prices has been changed. I seriously think it's a mistake due to the launch of beta version 3 and that you'll get a fast answer from them.

583779[/snapback]

If what he is saying is true and it is indeed written in the contract that the labels have to give permission (ie, contract addendum) to change prices, then there might be legal problems with this price increase after all.

I'll be interested to hear Slater's response to him.

actually, i highly doubt beatport would have mentioned anything about pricess in the contract. They migt just mention artists/ labels are entitled to 50% + some other goodies, without having to mention a specific price... they wouldn't get in to that... why bother?

actually, i highly doubt beatport would have mentioned anything about pricess in the contract. They migt just mention artists/ labels are entitled to 50% + some other goodies, without having to mention a specific price... they wouldn't get in to that... why bother?

587344[/snapback]

From a business standpoint, it would be absolutely stupid for them to state the price in the contract. Prices are never stable for so many years, and it would be a horrible pain in the butt to get agreement with each and every label (1000+ at this point, I would assume) if they have to change the price for some reason (which they already did awhile back, but all in $$ currency).

However, I have managed a contract with another store similar to Beatport that did have the price stated explicitly, so it's not out of the question that they could do such a thing. The smart thing to do (even if it can lead to this random price-increase BS) is to have a single line in the conditions of the agreement stating "Beatport will set the prices." Very few labels are going to refuse to sign a contract for that reason, and it gives them much less work to do in the case they do want to up the price for whatever reason.

Guest Elysium

Actually, I just saw the following, which EP posted earlier in this topic.....

If what he is saying is true and it is indeed written in the contract that the labels have to give permission (ie, contract addendum) to change prices, then there might be legal problems with this price increase after all.

I'll be interested to hear Slater's response to him.

587338[/snapback]

I thought wrong. The labels have nothing do say nor do the artists.

I also got a reply from Scott at beatport which was similar to the reply Jamez got. Á standard reply i think.

I do not at al agree to the high price changes but it seem to me theres not much to do about it. I am one of the lucky who will still be able to but the music in $.

I will also keep selling my music there because it's good promotion. It's not like I get rich from the sales anyway - no matter a price change or not ;)

What !!!!!!!!!    :o

Beatport v 3.0 has loaded. But the prices have changed and are fucking stupid.

I have to pay £1.49 or £1.99 a track now + £1 wav charge.

YES thats right !!! STERLING. Over £5 for 2 Wavs. Used to be $1.49 or $1.99 + $1 for wav charge. The prices for me have nearly fucking doubled !  :(

Twats. They have priced themselves out of the market. It now officially cheaper to buy cd releases than buy music digitally via Beatport.

----------

Obviously, I am based in the UK - the site knows this when I connect and shows the prices in UK Pounds £. I am very interested to hear if the prices have gone up for you guys in mainland europe. Please log in and let me know!

And if there's any one here from the US can you log in to see if your prices have gone up too. I would very much appreciate it. :)

10 tracks now cost me over £20. If this is intentional I hope Beatport rot in hell !!!

I have sent them an e-mail. I'm not happy. I bought two tracks earlier without realising how much I was paying for them. They made no effort to advertise a rise in prices. I hope its all a big mistake.

Any other good download sites for prog / minimal / electro that do .wav's?

Sorry to rant. Please let me know of your experiences.

James 23 :)

583730[/snapback]

the cigs got dear too man. :P