BEATPORT PRICE INCREASE. Nooooooo ! :(

jamez_23

Guest Elysium

youve been ripped off for long :lol:

:P

585088[/snapback]

pay attention and stop the massive use of happy smilies. This is a serious topic dammit!!!!

:P

I mean that I still got the cheaper prices ;)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And let's not forget that iTunes does not allow you to copy the bought music to another computer or even copy the music more than 2-3 times on the computer you downloaded it on (I might remember this amount of times wrong).

So wonder where you get most value for your money? ;)

I am still confused since I here in Sweden still have the exact same prices on Beatport as before the launch of version 3.

584981[/snapback]

Here's what they say in Itunes help menu:

If your computer is connected to any other computers over a local network, you can share the music in your library and playlists with up to five of those computers (the other computers need to be in the same subnet as your computer and using iTunes 4.5 or later). Sharing is intended for personal use only.

To me this looks like you can share a particular track up to 5 times over a local network using I tunes software. However, you can import the actual file that's sitting on your hard drive to any other program you desire and do anything you want including CDR burning, converting to other formats, sharing etc.. I think Itunes just want to make sure their software is not used for piracy, but what you do with the actual song on your hardrive in other applications is your business.

Dowloaded files are in .aiff format which is a full CD quality (not a shitty compressed mp3) file and can be easily converted to Wav.. there also may be an option to downoad wav without a need to convert..you'd have to play with the options a little bit and see..and NO..you DO NOT have to have a Mac or Ipod to dowload from Itunes. It works from PC too.

Here is a link to dowload either Itunes OS X or Window XP version:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Hmmmm

Back to Beatport thing.

I received the Sog Files MMVI CD in the post this morning (sounding good so far). The Cd has some fantastic inane ramblings in the inlay (Their words not mine!). Much of the rambling focuses on the labels transition into the digital realm. They see that digital downloads are the future and that vinyl sales are dropping. They are embracing the revolution. Good for them.

They even go as far to mention Beatport specifically in all of this. Bear in mind this is a fairly new cd. I'll quote directly.

"all the while, as technology rockets tirelessly forwards, broadband gets .... broader. You'll note MP3's on Beatport are now a nominal 320kbs for the same price as before and wav's are now dowloadable at only $1 more"

I'm going to write to SOG and ask them if they think Beatport has represented their interests by raising prices in the UK. I get the impression that SOG (A record label with many links to the UK) must be one of the "International Partners" Beatport refers to in the response to my complaint.(See page two)

Y'see - I don't think that Beatport told anyone about this change. SOG couldn't have known or they wouldn't state that WAV's are $1 extra in their promotional blurb. I imagine they may feel a tad embarrassed, seeing as they state that Beatport has become the alternative to Soulseek and has saved them. WAV's are £1 extra in the UK (twice as much!) now. No longer a viable option. Nor is vinyl, but if I wanted vinyl it would be cheaper!

The SOG files MMVI cd costs £8.67 ++ postage ... etc .... ends up usually around £10. To download all of the tracks from Beatport would cost me EDIT (I got that wrong) 9 * £1.49 + £9 Wav handling.

Thats £22.41 folks. Do Beatport get that extra money???? Mr Elysium didn't seem to be aware the fruits of his labour were now worth more if sold in the UK. SOG don't seem to be aware.

I'm sorry. Who was it that said they weren't stupid??? That is not representation of your foreign Partners - it is pure unadulterated stupidity.

Do you think the record labels are going to pleased? To know that consumers would rather P2P their stuff again because of a bunch of stupid American's have just priced their products out of the market?

Its not a sly business move really, is it, at all?

These clowns are turning the potential of digital music sales into a joke. See my current avatar  :P

585321[/snapback]

Quite.

(Oh and wotcha Biggins !!!! :) )

Guest Elysium

I am now sending an e-mail to Scott at Beatport and giving him the link to this topic.

I will also ask why they doubled the prices for UK and why none of us artists and labels have been told?

My e-mail to him:

I got a question for you. At psynews.com (a forum for psytrance) a guy tell that all prices at Beatport has almost doubled when you buy within UK. It seem that you now charge in EUROinstead of US Dollars in UK.But the price has not change to level out the difference.

Is this true and how come if it's true? Without wanting to interfere in your business I think that it's a bit weird and also not in the labels and us the artists interest because it will only lead to people stealing more music via p2p when they now have to buy music thats basically more expensive than buying a CD online.

I hope it's a mistake and that the prices will remain fair as they were before you launched version 3.

Here' the link to the debate:

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=39900&st=0

Yours Sincerely

Kris Andersen

Edited by Elysium

Nice one Kris. I'd be intersted to hear the reply.

Just one thing though. The UK is now billed in Pounds £, not Euros. I believe their intention is to bill the rest of Europe in Euro's (I'm not sure if they are doing so yet. See the reponse from Beatport to my complaint on page two)

:)

Guest Elysium

Nice one Kris. I'd be intersted to hear the reply.

Just one thing though. The UK is now billed in Pounds £, not Euros. I believe their intention is to bill the rest of Europe in Euro's (I'm not sure if they are doing so yet. See the reponse from Beatport to my complaint on page two)

585405[/snapback]

ahh ok my mistake :) well I am sure he got my point anyway hehe.

PS! I am still waiting to talk to slater from Tribal Vision to hear if he accepted these prices as a label who got a contract with beatport.

Edited by Elysium

Guest Elysium

Very nice discution here....!

It will be interesting to see what Beatport's reply will be in Kris email....if they bother to reply at all...!

Nice one James you brought it up.....

585408[/snapback]

I think he will answer since I already recieved an e-mail from him about some link issues. I'll post the answer here as soon as I hear from him. But it's weekend so maybe not before Monday. We'll see.

ahh ok my mistake :) well I am sure he got my point anyway hehe.

PS!  I am still waiting to talk to slater from Tribal Vision to hear if he accepted these prices as a label who got a contract with beatport.

585406[/snapback]

The points still stand. Thanks for your help in finding out whats going on. :)

Guest Elysium

The points still stand. Thanks for your help in finding out whats going on. :)

585414[/snapback]

Anytime and as I also said earlier. It's not really in my interest as an artist to see my music being sold for way too high prices. It can only do one thing. Decrease the sale of my music and incurrage more to steal my music.

interesting, but i find the whole album better, even if there are some "filler" tracks, you never know how well they might age or grow on you or whats the story about ;)! thats why im all for 100% album, all tracks that is :).

on compilations its little bit different, allthough i give lots of tries to them, there still are my favourites and the ones that i do not favour :).

584624[/snapback]

I never really download or listen to samples on the internet for that reason. Music grows on me. If I didn't like a download I'd probably just download it & if I wasn't blown away by samples I'd probably not buy it. Whereas CDs that I've bought & not liked instantly have grown on me in time as I didn't just throw them away.

Now you are assuming things you do not know. ;) 

I can tell you the deal is very reasonable seen from an artist point of view.  Way better than any psytrance labels I know of offer artists when they release their music on CD's.

584744[/snapback]

But how much of the price increase is coming your way?

Guest Elysium

But how much of the price increase is coming your way?

585424[/snapback]

I dont know and if you see what i wrote I am against the price increase. But i would think the same percentage as before.. We do have contracts.

I dont know and if you see what i wrote I am against the price increase.  But i would think the same percentage as before.. We do have contracts.

585426[/snapback]

Then that's not really fair, which was the point of my 1st post.

Guest Elysium

Then that's not really fair, which was the point of my 1st post.

585428[/snapback]

I do not think you understood me right.

If the price increase then I get paid more because the percentage i got stay the same.

example (not what the artists get paid)

10% of 100 euro = euro 10

10% of 200 euro = euro 20

;)

I do not think you understood me right.

If the price increase then I get paid more because the percentage i got stay the same.

example (not what the artists get paid)

10% of 100 euro = euro 10

10% of 200 euro = euro 20

;)

585430[/snapback]

Ah! That sounds fair enough.

Just hope their profits don't fall because of all this then.

I've never bought from them but the way they are doing business is the sort of behaviour that would have stopped me & has made me never want to use them.

I'm sure their economists are much smarter than me but I'll take an operation like ultimae records anyday. Classy service through & through.

Guest Elysium

I'll take an operation like ultimae records anyday. Classy service through & through.

585433[/snapback]

Yes but Beatport is really not about that kind of music. It's 95% about House and electro.

Yes but Beatport is really not about that kind of music. It's 95% about House and electro.

585437[/snapback]

It's not the music I'm talking about. I have been amazed by the service from those guys!!! It is so amazing I really want to buy more from them. Service that brings you back is rare in this day & age :(

Guest Elysium

It's not the music I'm talking about. I have been amazed by the service from those guys!!! It is so amazing I really want to buy more from them. Service that brings you back is rare in this day & age  :(

585441[/snapback]

Ok but despite the increase in prices I can't put a finger on beatports service. I have always been satisfied with their level of service.

The increase in price is indeed annoying but I do not link that to their service which has always been very professional and fair.

Ok but despite the increase in prices I can't put a finger on beatports service.  I have always been satisfied with their level of service.

The increase in price is indeed annoying but I do not link that to their service which has always been very professional and fair.

585442[/snapback]

Fair enough! I've never actually used a download site like that. I'm sure the service is fair but I like that personal touch like you are dealing with people not just the internet.

Ok but despite the increase in prices I can't put a finger on beatports service.  I have always been satisfied with their level of service.

585442[/snapback]

Hmmm.

The service is going downhill rapidly. My account is screwed. There is 1 track left in my crate and the system seems to think that I owe £54.48 for it. :lol: I know the prices have gone up but that takes the fucking biscuit (pun itended).

I'll also admit now (My name is James, I'm a Beatport addict) that I opened up another account (since the other one is royally fucked) to download one of the tracks off the new Extrawelt EP. I am ashamed, it was just one track ok !?!?! :( However, when I click on 'download' I get a nice error saying "file not found". I purchased the track last Thursday, notified them of the problem on Friday but their once admirable support still haven't done anything about it. Still no track. Of course I have been billed, which was painful enough without having to suck eggs for the actual product. :angry:

Things are looking worse and worse for Beatport. :unsure:

If you go through a proxy in the US, do you get the cheaper dollar prices?

584249[/snapback]

Let me know how you get on with that man. :)

I have tried but I don't know what I'm doing. :lol:

584340[/snapback]

i just created an account from the UK and logged on via a taiwanese proxy using Hide IP platinum

the prices are in US $