IDM

abasio

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey tamlin, also check Helios - Unomia (2004, Merck Records) .. I think you'are gonna like it

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately I can't find it.. :unsure:

(Yes yes, I am one of those terrible people who downloads music. Rest assured, however, I DO buy the stuff I love!)

Since new BOC are far far away from old BOC and IDM in general,i have no idea,sorry. (although their Trans Canada Highway EP was rather surprising,tracks like Skyliner are pure BOC genius).

Plus,their style has always been unique so it would be difficult to find something similar.Mayne Air :P ahh,dunno.

I was joking about Air.

Well, how about separate answers for "old BOC" and "new BOC" then? :P

Doesn't have to be THAT similar to BOC, I mean I know they're quite unique, I would just really like something with somewhat similar kind of trippyness of atmosphere, warmth of melodies and thickness of beats. *yum*

Ulrich Schnauss, as mentioned, I think comes pretty close to these basic ingredients, although maybe a bit more cheesy than trippy. Still damn sweet tho.

Doesn't have to be THAT similar to BOC, I mean I know they're quite unique, I would just really like something with somewhat similar kind of trippyness of atmosphere, warmth of melodies and thickness of beats. *yum*

Ulrich Schnauss, as mentioned, I think comes pretty close to these basic ingredients, although maybe a bit more cheesy than trippy. Still damn sweet tho.

Very well then.

Bola - Gnayse

Mlada Fronta (not IDM but an amazing deep electronic trip,trust me)

Proem - You Shall Have Ever Been

Lusine ICL - Condensed :clapping:

Abfahrt Hinwil - Links Berge Rechts Seen

Nebulo - Kolia

Ab Ovo - Empreintes (pure braindance)

CH District - Slides

I can add some more if you like.

Very well then.

Bola - Gnayse

Mlada Fronta (not IDM but an amazing deep electronic trip,trust me)

Proem - You Shall Have Ever Been

Lusine ICL - Condensed :clapping:

Abfahrt Hinwil - Links Berge Rechts Seen

Nebulo - Kolia

Ab Ovo - Empreintes (pure braindance)

CH District - Slides

I can add some more if you like.

Let me add

Displacer - Moon Phase (And the rest of Displacer as well, ARROYO & CAGE FIGHTER'S LULLABY

Duuster - Habitat (The first album that seriously got me into IDM, one of my favourites too)

Autoclav 1.1 - Visitors Attractions

I feel Squarepusher has been severely underrepresented in this thread. He makes IDM (kinda) and he's a freaking genious, so... Here goes.

For all you guys into melodic downtempo idm euphoria, you should check out the tracks Lambic 5 Poetry and Lambic 9 Poetry (on Budakhan Mindphone and Ultravisitor, respectively) as well as the first two tracks on the Squarewindow EP. Simply wonderful.

Then if you don't mind some drum&bass, his latest album Hello Everything is so very very nice. I <3! Unusually many melodic tracks for a Squarepusher album (and soo good melodies *drool*), with perfect production, trippy details all over as always, a couple of "acoustic" jazzy/mellow tracks, a couple of _really_ twisted tracks, and a weird noise track for good measure. Shortly put, a well-balanced and relatively accessible taste of Mr Jenkinson's Mad Skillz.

SQUAREPUSHER - HARD NORMAL DADDY

SQUAREPUSHER - FEED ME WEIRD THINGS

Hard Normal Daddy is grrreat, one of his best albums and kinda unique among his works.

Half of the tracks on the album are a kind of very melodic oldschool drum&bass which has a very special style that somehow feels like live jazz / funk. There's just something very special about the way that he programmed those drums that make them feel like a real drummer even though they are obviously programmed.. Paradoxical and fascinating, and again: simply wonderful.

The other half of the album is much weirder and more intense, but still great if you're into that sorta thing.

However, I wouldn't recommend Feed Me Weird Things to a Squarepusher n00b (it's his first album, so he hadn't really perfected his Mad Skillz just yet), unless you're really into oldschool jungle/drum&bass and don't mind some really weird atmospheres.

And even then, I would much more strongly recommend Big Loada, which is probably THE best oldscool jungle/drum&bass album EVER (with a heavy idm twist). Classic jungle sound with loads of energy, oh so sweetly & idm-ishly detailed and intricately tripped the f__k out. :wub:

If you still haven't been scared away by his ingenious insanity after the above recommendations, there are some serious gems (many of his best tracks) on Go Plastic(!!!), Ultravisitor(!) and Do You Know Squarepusher. However, these albums are very varied (especially Ultravisitor) and definitely not for the weak hearted.

The rest of his material also has some scattered gems and a lot of pretty good drum&bass/electronica, but I dare wager that you won't care for them much if you haven't loved everything I've mentioned so far. Or maybe if you don't like melodies at all and only care for weird/experimental stuff with severely strange atmospheres.

• 4 weeks later...

Let me introduce you to...

Photophob

Great melodic IDM/Glitch/Ambient music from Austria.

His album Still Warm released in 2006 is really great, too bad I missed it during 2006, certainly one of the best 2006 IDM'ish releases imo.

Also, he offers most of his work for free on his website, www.photophob.net , many mp3 releases on netlabels.

Everything there is good, but I especially enjoyed : November 30, Five Odes To Lem, About The Living Things.

Check it out & Enjoy :)

Let me introduce you to...

Photophob

Great melodic IDM/Glitch/Ambient music from Austria.

His album Still Warm released in 2006 is really great, too bad I missed it during 2006, certainly one of the best 2006 IDM'ish releases imo.

Also, he offers most of his work for free on his website, www.photophob.net , many mp3 releases on netlabels.

Everything there is good, but I especially enjoyed : November 30, Five Odes To Lem, About The Living Things.

Check it out & Enjoy :)

I couldn't find anything to dl on his site, please help me :) cus I would like to hear!

• 11 months later...

so i've already went through half of this thread to find out about some IDM albums that i might like...but thought maybe i should ask for it too, so although i know you guys might have responded to this thread already but your help would be appreciated...

i got introduced to IDM by listening to aphex twin and boards of canada....i really liked BOC and aphex is also fine (some really good tracks) but i didn't get into it after listening to these two

after a while i listened to some of Ulrich Schnauss' albums and loved it because of the trippiness, but when asked one of my friends who's really into IDM and DnB for similar artists, he gave me couple of albums which weren't psychedelic at all IMO, and i lost interest

recently, i listened to Kettel - My Dragon, and i think it 's an AMAZING album....very trippy, just the way i want my music to be (and btw, what an artwork)

i was wondering if you guys could recommend some, let's say, melodic and/or psychedelic IDM :)

If you like Kettel you should definitely check out the first three Plaid albums (in many cases, Kettel has lifted freely and unabashedly from Plaid), Not for Threes, Rest Proof Clockwork and Double Figure. Their later stuff gets increasingly more abstract and choppy, like Autechre. Also give Isan a try, like the album Meet Next Life. And maybe take a look at the other Sending Orbs label artists.

You'd probably like Bola a lot, as a lot of people here do, since it's pretty psychedelic and melodic, but his affinity for dissonance throws me off, personally.

And of course you'll get a nice variety of similar stuff if you load Kettel into Last.fm and/or Pandora.

P.S. It's "My Dogan".

If you like Kettel you should definitely check out the first three Plaid albums (in many cases, Kettel has lifted freely and unabashedly from Plaid), Not for Threes, Rest Proof Clockwork and Double Figure. Their later stuff gets increasingly more abstract and choppy, like Autechre. Also give Isan a try, like the album Meet Next Life. And maybe take a look at the other Sending Orbs label artists.

You'd probably like Bola a lot, as a lot of people here do, since it's pretty psychedelic and melodic, but his affinity for dissonance throws me off, personally.

And of course you'll get a nice variety of similar stuff if you load Kettel into Last.fm and/or Pandora.

P.S. It's "My Dogan".

:P

thanx for info...

I'm kind of surprised to see Ulrich Schnauss recommended in this thread.

Isn't he producing Shoegaze and not IDM?

Or is that IDM aswell? Because I like the stuff I heard of Ulrich Schnauss, but rather don't like IDM that much ... the weird sounds and that...

I'm kind of surprised to see Ulrich Schnauss recommended in this thread.

Isn't he producing Shoegaze and not IDM?

Or is that IDM aswell? Because I like the stuff I heard of Ulrich Schnauss, but rather don't like IDM that much ... the weird sounds and that...

Schnauss is on the hyper-melodic end of spectrum, in my opinion, in the not-all-IDM-has-to-be-glitchy section. Plus, he's released on City Centre Offices, which is a clue.

Schnauss is on the hyper-melodic end of spectrum, in my opinion, in the not-all-IDM-has-to-be-glitchy section. Plus, he's released on City Centre Offices, which is a clue.

interesting...

So obviously IDM isn't as bad as I always thought.

I think there's a huge misunderstanding among electronic music fans that all IDM sounds like Squarepusher. It's just not true. That's like saying all jazz sounds like Coltrane, whose music I personally find noisy and unlistenable. Fortunately for me most jazz doesn't sound like that. Also fortunate for me is that most IDM doesn't sound like Squarepusher.

Yes, there's psychedelic-sounding IDM (eg, Bola), as well as melodic-sounding (eg, Kettel), classical-sounding (eg, Murcof), hip-hop-sounding (eg, Dabyre), ambient-sounding (eg, Isan), industrial-sounding (eg, Pan Sonic), jazz-sounding (eg, Amon Tobin), and so on.

IDM is such such such a shitty name for a genre. Completely ridiculous, actually.

Personally, I would never file Amon Tobin under IDM, and come to think of it, even Squarepusher I'd rather consider something else. Stuff like Bola, Kettel, Isan, yeah... but then again, who cares. :D

What Otto said is true though... maybe you should see 'IDM' as 'trance'. You probably wouldn't like Tiesto (but it's still trance) but would like Hux Flux (still trance).

But damn... what a silly name.