IDM

abasio

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as i remember IDM is way of making music..it si not defined with specific stile..like when u say IDM you automaticy think on Aphex Twin..no its just style..IDM is the way u think about music and the u make it..lowerng the bitrate so produce metalic sound and fx..that is the point of IDM..

Read n Learn

as i remember IDM is way of making music..it si not defined with specific stile..like when u say IDM you automaticy think on Aphex Twin..no its just style..IDM is the way u think about music and the u make it..lowerng the bitrate so produce metalic sound and fx..that is the point of IDM..

Read n Learn

from the link you posted:

A 2001 monthly editorial in Audiogalaxy stated that IDM producers use "squelched beats, jagged synth lines, static washes, electrical shorts" and other odd sounds, and that IDM "defies rhythmic convention," introducing sudden changes in rhythm. Besides these musical features, the editorial points out that IDM is typically difficult to dance to.[3]:

Well to me Cosmosis - Moonshine is great, but it's oldschool psychedelic/goa trance ... IDM is usually associated with experimental/breakbeats & not a 4/4 beat...

Read n Learn

totally agreed - it's the way of understanding the music more than a definition of some style.

..like in trance you can hear many different sounds - ethno/tribal goa, jazz samples over ausie psy progressive (like zenon etc), weird suomi disko and so on. Trax seem quite different, but they all are trance musik, so the same with IDM - some of the stuff sounds more like minimal dub, some - academical music over clicks n'cuts or like yagya - minimal ambient..

by the way, today Sutemos netlable are throwing a party in my hometown (Vilnius/Lithuania) and Yaga will be playin Live as well ;)

I see everyone has his own little theory about IDM.

If there's no combination of experimental/abstract/not-normal(?) breaks & beats,melodies and ambiance there's none IDM elements IMO.

It would really help if you gave a listen at the first major influential IDM releases like Ae's Amber for example.

But anyway it doesn't really matter since everyone has the right to describe anything the way he likes,it's your right to say that black is blue and 4 is 5.

Maybe you see something we don't?

Read n Learn

I never said anything about not agreeing on what IDM is. In fact, I am not by any means going against what I quoted and you wrote, however all I was saying is...

Well to me Cosmosis - Moonshine is great, but it's oldschool psychedelic/goa trance ... IDM is usually associated with experimental/breakbeats & not a 4/4 beat...

...that I agree with Time_Trap, and that is the same thing I said: Cosmosis- "Moonshine" is NOT an IDM track, it's an oldschool goa trance track... an awesome one too!

**If you're interested in this old school sound, two very popular disks that played a big role in solidifying this sound are the Artificial Intelligence I and II disks from Warp that Astro mentioned. Again, they're widely available.**

Yes! Buy this comp if you haven't! One of my first exposures, and I used to mess with other stoned/tripping kids in college by putting this on. Too many thoughts floating around my brain, man!

A CD that's borderline is Speedy J Live. It came packed with certain editions of G-Spot. It's a really awesome live set from the mid 90s where he progresses from ambient to melodic techno/tance, then ends with IDMish stuff. I still put this on.

And if you're open to the more Psy/chill stuff, get Grey Area - Absolute. THAT album will mess with your mind. I was always a bit let down with their other output, as Absolute is really cerebral.

I think Orbital also fits the bill with stuff on Snivilization and In Sides. Really good to this day.

• 3 months later...

I've gotten into some of this IDM & would really like some more recommendations. Unfortunately it is a big genre without a quality filter :( I was recommended a lot & some of it was really really good while some of it (from the same people) I thought was shite I bought Autechre - Tri Repetae & thought it was so boring, nothing that engaged the brain in anyway.

I made a mix of what I bought & liked. If you could take a listen & tell me what else you know sounds as deep, beautiful & interesting as these tracks! link

Tracklist

1. Kettel - Mauerbreder

2. Kattoo - Place 8

3. Ulrich Schnauss - Knuddelmaus

4. Secede - Born in a Tropical Swamp

5. LSG - Quick Star

6. Yagya - Choose

7. Ulrich Schnauss - As If You've Never Been Away

8. Sandspider - Levchenko

9. Secede ft. Kettel - Leraine

10. Kettel - Bodpa

11. Decal - Star of the Sea

12. Kettel - Electrician & Adventurer

13. Secede - Shrine

I know some of these artists are probably not considered to be IDM but I'm shit with genres so don't limit yourself to what is widely regarded as IDM but what is good, psychedelic, melodic. Music you can lose yourself in as I have lost myself in these tracks.

Thanks to everyone.

6. Yagya - Choose

13. Secede - Shrine

LOVE all of these tracks. Though I wouldn't personally classify Sandspider as IDM. :)

Check out more of Sending Orbs stuff, particularly LEGIAC who are releasing sometime this/next month, I forget :)

And also there's a lot of good stuff on Hymen.

I bought Autechre - Tri Repetae & thought it was so boring, nothing that engaged the brain in anyway.

I made a mix of what I bought & liked. If you could take a listen & tell me what else you know sounds as deep, beautiful & interesting as these tracks!

Tracklist

1. Kettel - Mauerbreder

2. Kattoo - Place 8

3. Ulrich Schnauss - Knuddelmaus

5. LSG - Quick Star

6. Yagya - Choose

7. Ulrich Schnauss - As If You've Never Been Away

10. Kettel - Bodpa

11. Decal - Star of the Sea

12. Kettel - Electrician & Adventurer

13. Secede - Shrine

You are obviously not looking for IDM in general but something like soft/melodic downtempo/IDM.Like Secede,Kettel etc.It's not really IDM but ... i won't bother trying to figure out what it is.

Autechre is the definition of IDM.Well,at least before the post-Confield era.If you want an Autechre album you should start with Amber,not Tri Repetae!

You are obviously not looking for IDM in general but something like soft/melodic downtempo/IDM.Like Secede,Kettel etc.It's not really IDM but ... i won't bother trying to figure out what it is.

This is my problem. I don't know how to classify & don't really care! I just like good music :D

This is my problem. I don't know how to classify & don't really care! I just like good music :D

Yeah i know this music is so difficult to categorize since most of the releases have a rather unique style,the Photophob album for example is described as "Breakbeat, Rhythmic Noise, Industrial, IDM, Ambient" (discogs) :huh: mmkay

Autechre is the definition of IDM.Well,at least before the post-Confield era.If you want an Autechre album you should start with Amber,not Tri Repetae!

Secede is not really IDM, but Kettel has made IDM albums, but sure there are lots of downtempo there too. Perhaps IDM'ish downtempo/ambient? :D

So back to my original question post 1

What the hell is IDM?

Intelligent Dance Music isn't much of a description is it?

What does music need for it to be IDM for you?

So back to my original question post 1

What the hell is IDM?

Intelligent Dance Music isn't much of a description is it?

What does music need for it to be IDM for you?

Read this topic again mate I think i've already post some brief description.. Also check the wiki page..

A 2001 monthly editorial in Audiogalaxy stated that IDM producers use "squelched beats, jagged synth lines, static washes, electrical shorts" and other odd sounds, and that IDM "defies rhythmic convention," introducing sudden changes in rhythm. Besides these musical features, the editorial points out that IDM is typically difficult to dance to.[3]:

I would add, unpredictable or at least hard to predict breakbeats & rhytms, sometimes IDM can be more to the ambient side, other times it gets mixed up with DnB or Breakcore or Rhythmic Noise etc...

Read this topic again mate I think i've already post some brief description.. Also check the wiki page..

I would add, unpredictable or at least hard to predict breakbeats & rhytms, sometimes IDM can be more to the ambient side, other times it gets mixed up with DnB or Breakcore or Rhythmic Noise etc...

I can't really make my mind up about it!

I've decided that IDM is an imaginary genre that people put what they want into!

I've heard lots of IDM (considered IDM) without all those elements listed or with more or that sounded like other genres etc :unsure:

I can't really make my mind up about it!

I've decided that IDM is an imaginary genre that people put what they want into!

I've heard lots of IDM (considered IDM) without all those elements listed or with more or that sounded like other genres etc :unsure:

You are right ... you can't really define IDM.You've got IDM like Proem which is sweet playful beats/breaks with fluffy melodies then you've got IDM like Dither which sounds like metallic breaks and deep emotional/dreamy atmosphere then you've got Beefcake which combine slow melodic breaks with furious breakcore.

But you can say for sure that any music with normal breaks/beats and melodies and no experimental elements whatsoever can't really be described as IDM,like Secede for example.

Anyway,like it matters ... music matters not its tags.

As far as I know (not that I'm an IDM expert by any means)..

Boards of Canada is IDM.

Squarepusher is IDM.

Both of these kick ass, but other than that, and the fact that they have both released stuff on Warp records, I would say they hardly have anything in common whatsoever.

So with this in mind it seems to me that IDM is basically just some kind of umbrella term for electronic music with generally experimental structures.

On the other hand, a lot of IDM seems to be extremely similar in style.. For instance, a lot of the stuff that I've heard from Yasume, Displacer, Ochre, Funckarma, Arovane, Maps & Diagrams, etc, etc, could all be described in very similar terms: more or less minimal, fluffy ambientish melodic atmospheres, with glitchy noise-ish rhythmic structures on top.

So on one hand we have the wide definition of IDM, in which case describing a piece of music as IDM says very little about how it actually sounds.. And on the other hand we have the narrow definition of IDM, which is a very specific style of electronica.

Just as Rotwang wrote about there not being any consensus about what the best work of Autechre is, I suspect that it might also be very difficult to find any consensus on what constitutes a single representative example of typical IDM sound.

But like Gnome says, it doesn't really matter.

The only problem I see is when asking for music of a certain kind.. "Do you know any good IDM?" probably does you no good unless you also namedrop an artist that examplifies the type of IDM you're looking for: "Do you know any Boards of Canada-ish IDM?" or "Do you know any Squarepusher-ish IDM?". I guess an answer to the first question might be Ulrich Schnauss, while an answer to the second might be The Flashbulb... And again, these are extremely different from eachother, but some would say both are IDM.

Anyway, anyone know any good Boards of Canada-ish / Ulrich Schnauss-ish IDM(-ish)? :P

I totally agree with tamlin.Let's just say it's a fuckin big genre.Like techno.What do we mean with "techno"?A lot.Same with IDM.

Anyway, anyone know any good Boards of Canada-ish / Ulrich Schnauss-ish IDM(-ish)?

Old BOC or new BOC :P

Old BOC or new BOC :P

Uhm... "Either" or "both", i guess? :rolleyes:

But i think they've pretty much gotten better and better, so maybe "new BOC" then.

Gimme! :clapping:

Uhm... "Either" or "both", i guess? :rolleyes:

But i think they've pretty much gotten better and better, so maybe "new BOC" then.

Gimme! :clapping:

Since new BOC are far far away from old BOC and IDM in general,i have no idea,sorry. (although their Trans Canada Highway EP was rather surprising,tracks like Skyliner are pure BOC genius).

Plus,their style has always been unique so it would be difficult to find something similar.Mayne Air :P ahh,dunno.

I was joking about Air.