Buying 320kbps mp3, wav, flac, ape, etc

amphiton

Guest Rezwalker

i have found some classics albums on dc++ in flac quality.

Etnica-alien protein+Transwave Phototropic, total: 1.2 GB :o but the sound is awesome..crystal clear :D

Usually with large record labels, the cost of the recording studios are absorbed by the label - this isn't the case in this scene. (correct me if I'm wrong)

583992[/snapback]

i think you're wrong here... big labels will hook you up thorugh some slimmy, advance that is big money, but you have to take on the costs of production including renting the studio and promotion & equipment. All big labels have is a 150 page contracts writen by the best lawyers in the country to screw you over every single penny they can think of. Things change when you deal with... u2 or madonna... but in general... a small-time band in a big label ends up getting screwed over and indebted. not to mention the percentage points they get is between 15-20%

With say... beatport.. it's 50-50 and nearly 60/40 to artists on the big end. So in reality... life ain't that bad on the digital sales if you are scamming people for 3 pound wav downloads but at the other end of the scale 1 dollar is not feasible. Go check mastering costs for a track alone...

Usually with large record labels, the cost of the recording studios are absorbed by the label - this isn't the case in this scene. (correct me if I'm wrong)

583992[/snapback]

As was mentioned before, this is usually wrong. Back in my music school days we had a class on music business where we actually went through the average contract with a major label in the US and learn how to bargain for a better deal and all.

Generally the standard offer terms went something like: the artist makes between 5 to 7 cents in royalties per album sold. This money they receive AFTER all the recording studio costs, etc have been deducted from those royalities. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that at 7 cents a cd (10 cents if you have a REALLY good contract) that it will take a massive amount of sales to recoup that money before the artist sees any royalities from their CD sales at all. Most of the money mainstream artists make in live performance and in the publishing rights (through radio airplay and the like). The actual cash they earn for their actual CD sales is generally very little. Hence why selling 200,000 copies of an album in the mainstream record business is considered a massive failure that will most likely get you dropped from the label's roster.

a small-time band in a big label ends up getting screwed over and indebted. not to mention the percentage points they get is between 15-20%

585702[/snapback]

Keep in mind that this percentage is also usually that percentage of the wholesale price the label sells the cd for to distributors, etc. Its not 15-20% of the price the consumer pays at the record shop.

actually it is.. you can't go to a honda shop or to tower records... ok, ok let's make it even... hmm... economically speaking it's not viable to sell wav. files, mastered, and with all that weight  for one dollar. It's just not. iTunes is not making any money, it's actually loosing money from 1 dollar mp3 downloads. They make that ching-ching back on the sale of iPods. FLAC helps reduce prices (or at least the bandwith bill, but is not much help). Beatport charging 2 dollars for an mp3 track is a bit ridiculous though. At the end, you DON'T need to have a pricing system based on 1 track = $1 so 10 tracks = 10 dollars.... you know this should be cheaper....  but if you want to get one track, it's difficult to sell cheaper, when you purchase something (anything) via credit card... visa is taking 30-45 cents ($) per transaction alone... so...

-

can you tell i'm involved in some venture to sell music here?, you'll soon find out muahahah  B)

583114[/snapback]

yeah but surely there are MUCH more costs involved in producing and retailing a CD? How can a label make money off a CD with all the costs involved (glass master, printing, stocks, distribution, etc) and not be able to be in the black when your only costs are bandwith and Visa charge? :blink:

i'm not understanding what you mean. Of course it's cheaper to do it online, that's the point... at the end all you are saving is the cost of manufacturing, printing art and creating CD's. But you still have get the artwork, you still have to master the music (in this scene) and you still need to pay advances to artists. And if you deal with a label.. well there's an extra charge for them right there too.

I started Psysounds.com last year and I wil shut it down this year I think because there is not enough interest in buying digital music in our scene.

People rather buy a cd or download it from p2p networks and thus not paying anything at all.

Psysounds.com offers a track for 1,10 euro and an album for 8 euros only and both in mp3 and flac format! So this is at least 40% cheaper than buying a cd online.

I was hoping for more labels to join but there is also very little interest among the labels for selling their music digital online.

The idea behind Psyounds.com was to offer an independent digital download platform for very reasonable prices. Cut out the distibution and offer the music directly to you.

But it will never cover the costs made for the artwork and mastering, not speaking of any money that the artists wants for his/her track.

A little example calculation should clear things up: mastering plus artwork: 600 euros, price per track 200 euros, so if we have a 10 track compilation each track costs 260 euros. Now we sell the track for 1 euro, from every transaction we need to pay v.a.t., payment fee plus evt. currency conversion and the server. So my guess is to get even the track needs to be downloaded at least 800 times. Hmm that isn't so much I think, this is peanuts compared to the amount of downloads the same track has in p2p networks. :P

So it is possible to sell the music digital. But hey in real life it is not ;)

I will continu to sell Trishula & Ajana music digitally but not on my own server anymore because now I loose a lot of money every month on the dedicated server.

You will probably find our music at Musicdock in the future.

I started Psysounds.com last year and I wil shut it down this year I think because there is not enough interest in buying digital music in our scene.

People rather buy a cd or download it from p2p networks and thus not paying anything at all.

Psysounds.com offers a track for 1,10 euro and an album for 8 euros only and both in mp3 and flac format! So this is at least 40% cheaper than buying a cd online.

I was hoping for more labels to join but there is also very little interest among the labels for selling their music digital online.

The idea behind Psyounds.com was to offer an independent digital download platform for very reasonable prices. Cut out the distibution and offer the music directly to you.

But it will never cover the costs made for the artwork and mastering, not speaking of any money that the artists wants for his/her track.

A little example calculation should clear things up: mastering plus artwork: 600 euros, price per track 200 euros, so if we have a 10 track compilation each track costs 260 euros. Now we sell the track for 1 euro, from every transaction we need to pay v.a.t., payment fee plus evt. currency conversion and the server. So my guess is to get even the track needs to be downloaded at least 800 times. Hmm that isn't so much I think, this is peanuts compared to the amount of downloads the same track has in p2p networks.  :P

So it is possible to sell the music digital. But hey in real life it is not  ;)

I will continu to sell Trishula & Ajana music digitally but not on my own server anymore because now I loose a lot of money every month on the dedicated server.

You will probably find our music at Musicdock in the future.

588876[/snapback]

No, no, the idea is great but the music that you sell there is not.

• 10 months later...

for buying legal digital goatrance releases check

psypix.org

cytopia.org

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

For online shopping I generally use Cytopia.org, whose back catalog is starting to get some depth finally, or trackitdown. Track it down as most of the major labels, but they are a lot more expensive than cytopia (Cytopia charges the same for wav and 320 mp3 files), so I usually only use track it down for those cases when there is a "major" (in psy terms) label comp out that I want only one track off of, else wise my money generally goes to cytopia.org.

• 3 weeks later...

You got to remember that $1 for a commercial track is not the same as $1 for a psy track - psy tracks are often twice, maybe three times a commercial tracks length. It's not profitable for labels to sell the tracks for $1 because then the money would all go to the bandwidth bill, not the artists.

BULLSHIT

the cost of storing and uploading tracks is negligible ... less than one dollar per GIGABYTE for sure

The music is great it is just not your taste!

I've bought tunes from your label via Cytopia. I didn't know of your other site (and can't seem to visit it now) but if you only offered a limited selection this may explain things... I would much rather pay a buck for a WAV and cherry pick quality tracks from compilations than splurge and regret. But then again, I am probably not anything close to an average consumer. At any rate, I speak highly of all the labels that are partnering with Cytopia, so keep it going :)