Question:

Sarrsari

I'm rather familliar with all sorts of electronic music, but that doesn't mean I can tell the diffrence of one from another just by hearing it. I've got a pretty vague idea, but perhaps you guys could inform me what sort of music Progressive is in difference to Full-on, and such.

However, Dark, is pretty self-explanatory, and Goa and Psy is the parent to my obsession, so I know of my mother and father.

Thank you.

P.S I'd be happy to hear what other sub-genres I'm missing out on here.

Neither of these subgenres are incredibly familiar to me, but I'll give it shot from what I've heard:

Progressive psytrance is a style that has aspects in common with house music, especially the amount of swing/shuffle/lilt of the beat which is quite high, whereas straight-up techno and trance have zero swing in the beat. The sounds used are generally fairly house-like as well. Because of the bouncy, lilting nature of this music it tends to be popular with those who enjoy dancing.

Full-on music appears to center around its now infamous 16th-note bassline (with no progressive swing). It also seems to operate at fairly high speeds, but so has the best goa/psy for a decade. It has no swing in the beat but is still popular, apparently, because its signature "rolling" bassline works on the dancefloor. It is detested because the aspects that make it fun for the dancefloor make it boring for home listening.

Neither of these subgenres are incredibly familiar to me, but I'll give it shot from what I've heard:

Progressive psytrance is a style that has aspects in common with house music, especially the amount of swing/shuffle/lilt of the beat which is quite high, whereas straight-up techno and trance have zero swing in the beat. The sounds used are generally fairly house-like as well. Because of the bouncy, lilting nature of this music it tends to be popular with those who enjoy dancing.

Full-on music appears to center around its now infamous 16th-note bassline (with no progressive swing). It also seems to operate at fairly high speeds, but so has the best goa/psy for a decade. It has no swing in the beat but is still popular, apparently, because its signature "rolling" bassline works on the dancefloor. It is detested because the aspects that make it fun for the dancefloor make it boring for home listening.

581643[/snapback]

And is it possible for a track to be neither of these two sub-genres? I still have a hard time grasping the meaning of them, but I could somehow relate to the boring for home listening, great on the dancefloor comment. One of Freq's albums is solid and rather boring whilst the other one is insane.

And is it possible for a track to be neither of these two sub-genres?

581650[/snapback]

Of course. All of goa/psy trance until around 2001/2002 was non-progressive and non-full-on until the likes of GMS (full-on) and Vibrasphere (progressive) started making appearances. (Note: "Full-on" was once used to describe a very different kind of sound, one which we generally call "maximal" these days, like the Pleiadians sound, for instance.)

There are still a handful of acts not making full-on styled music, but most have succumbed to the style because of its popularity and their ability to get gigs at clubs and festivals.

You asked about other sub-genres. Well, there's one of my favorites called tech-trance, which is a hybrid of techno and trance, popularized by X-Dream and Spirallianz. It doesn't have all the swirly psychedelics, nor does it have a 16th-note bassline or swing beat. Instead it has a focus on very powerful, factory-machine-like percussion with very restrained and selective melodic elements.

You asked about other sub-genres. Well, there's one of my favorites called tech-trance, which is a hybrid of techno and trance, popularized by X-Dream and Spirallianz. It doesn't have all the swirly psychedelics, nor does it have a 16th-note bassline or swing beat. Instead it has a focus on very powerful, factory-machine-like percussion with very restrained and selective melodic elements.

581662[/snapback]

how about midimiliz, you forgot them :o

and the delta aswell :blink:

tsk tsk, shame otto, shame :rolleyes:

I'm rather familliar with all sorts of electronic music, but that doesn't mean I can tell the diffrence of one from another just by hearing it. I've got a pretty vague idea, but perhaps you guys could inform me what sort of music Progressive is in difference to Full-on, and such.

However, Dark, is pretty self-explanatory, and Goa and Psy is the parent to my obsession, so I know of my mother and father.

Thank you.

P.S I'd be happy to hear what other sub-genres I'm missing out on here.

581610[/snapback]

I haven`t heard a lot of Progressive Psytrance (Psygressive ?) but these days it seems it is convergent together with House/Trance. Or maybe the three of them? This is truly complex.

If you dont know about Psytekk (Minimal Psychedelic) and Nitzhonot means you can figure it out.

And this is worth checking always: http://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?image=g...derfotos2aj.png

well, in this case it doesnt matter, since different ingredients make different taste :P

Du-fucking-uh!

581937[/snapback]

It does matter, Regerer. I mentioned X-Dream and Spirallianz. The members of Midimiliz and The Delta are contained within these two groups, and all things tech in the psy world started there. Blow me. ;)

It does matter, Regerer. I mentioned X-Dream and Spirallianz. The members of Midimiliz and The Delta are contained within these two groups, and all things tech in the psy world started there. Blow me.  ;)

582323[/snapback]

x-dream+spirallianz=delta.

got it?

x-dream=not delta/midi/spirallianz

midi/spirallianz=not delta.

got it`, yu skcure?

Guest Astro Cortex

midi/spirallianz=not delta.

got it`, yu skcure?

582400[/snapback]

That's like saying Pleiadians=not Etnica.

Yes, WE got it way before you did, secure! ;)

That's like saying Pleiadians=not Etnica.

Yes, WE got it way before you did, secure! ;)

582457[/snapback]

etnica=pleiadians

etnica=not crop circles, cc=etnica+lotus omega.

3+2=5, but 3=not5, nor 2 is, nor they are eachother.

Guest Astro Cortex

etnica=pleiadians

582467[/snapback]

but weren't there one or two guys in Pleiadians who were not in Etnica? When they left the group, there were only two guys left in Etnica, so you can't say as easily that they're one and the same. But who cares, we all got it that you didn't get it in the first place anyways. :P

Ah. My first retarded impression was that Full-On was that kind of half-boring nothing changes type of psy, and Progressive being the fun and club-like music. But once you made an example with a group I actually know about (GMS), I kinda got the picture.

Seems most people here have since long ago advanced into the Psy-genre, far from the things I listen to. Or maybe not, I like a lot of dj's.

Btw, don't mean to bash on any progressive fans with this post or anything, it's just my taste in that sort of psy. I do, of course like some of those tracks. They're evil and plentiful.

And this is worth checking always: http://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?image=g...derfotos2aj.png

581806[/snapback]

This is a great help. Thanks! It would have been great if there was a similar one with a few artist names associated with the sub-sub-genres.

I've found this to be an interesting way to try to sift through the genres. It might be old hat to some of you, but to noobs, it's worth a look:

Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music

At least it has some samples and a list of artists for each genre. I've been told that some people have an issue with the specific classifications, but at least it's a great way to start educating oneself.

Cheers,

BrickTop