I just dont get it.

santo

Shpongle = Simon + Raja Ram .... right ?

then why does Simon take all the credit while Raja ram is ridiculed ? Is it just because he is old and looks weird ? IMHO both deserve equal fame and respect.

But I've seen on this forum that Simon is Godford and Raja ram is just Goa Gil... Why ?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simon produces music and samples, Raja Ram only plays flute and uses voice samples. I don't think he is contributing THAT much to Shpongle in any case... After I've seen him twice djing, I realised that Raja Ram is only a psychedelic clown that is entertaining the crowd and probably by now forgot the serious work he was doing when TIP was still in progress. I still credit Simon for most of their work in Shpongle, cause you already know the guy was having many projects and was mainly doing all music himself.

He's a mixed bag of tricks... Sometimes Raja is involved in something extremely special, sometimes extremely crap. I do admire his flute work, but I feel Simon contributes more to the Shpongle project...

Never underestimate the power of inspiration. Notice the amount of classic releases that were released with Raja Ram fooling around in the vicinity. The debut 1200 Mics album was much better than everything GMS achieved before and afterwards. Believe me, sometimes the proper mood is what creates classic gems.

Never underestimate the power of inspiration. Notice the amount of classic releases that were released with Raja Ram fooling around in the vicinity. The debut 1200 Mics album was much better than everything GMS achieved before and afterwards. Believe me, sometimes the proper mood is what creates classic gems.

581021[/snapback]

hahaha :lol: ...no.

what is it with those utterly boring drug samples?

gms were much better in growly family and chaos laboratory.

yes, yes music is objective fact.

and you were wrong.

and oopie was right.

now, bow.

FP has a point...

raja ram probably did more on shpongle thatn most people around here give him credit for... he brings ideas and is a good musician... look what he did with 1200 mics, u can clearly see his input on the first album...

ok there r drug samples but if u look at it from a musical standpoint u can tell that he helped a lot with the musical side of things...

and yes people in this forum are very biased towards simon p.... he is no god imo...

I am not biased, in the sense that I do not regard Simon Poopford as a God etcetera. I used to not think that.

But then I saw two Shpongle sets. One in Turkey, performed by Simon @ Soulclipse. Man, was that the best act of the festival. Really amazing set, completely and utterly crowded, everybody dancing tripping and enjoying themselves. Such a magical moment that was, the songs were the same but different, they got mixed into one long spun out song; such beauty and emotion! We all thought it would've been excellent for the dancefloor at midnight. Our finnish neighbours said: "shpongle is whatever you (or it) want(s) it to be. Man, I was really amazed.

Now Raja Ram. He did a Shpongle-set on Fullmoon... Boy did that suck. The man just put on different tricks and couldn't even mix those properly. To me he was really annoying, singing every sample and not even singing 'm correctly. Seriously, I ask you! I was disappointed Simon didn't do a set.

I think I don't even wanna talk about 1200 mics, cause it was really too embarassing. And fuck everybody that disagrees and has a great time dancing to those lame themed and drugged sampled theme-shitty-trance. You all have a terrible taste and I'm NOT gonna IMHO that. Period.

All they did was shout: "let's get high", "where's my acid", "let's all take some mescaline" (on top of the original sample and false too!!) and playback instruments we all could see but couldn't hear. An embarrassment, even to pop acts.

And even though Hallucinogen isnt at all my favorite music: it sure rocked at noon in Turkey, just before the Eclipse.

So. I agree with everybody that says Raja Ram is shit (but sure plays some nice flute, and also did a good job with TIP, waaaaaay way back) and that Simon rocks. It's just the truth. End of it. :)

well, does someone know what raja did in tip, what was he respnsible for? perhaps it was like with etnica, where there were two musically skilled producers out of for members that made the sound, so in tip it was graham wood with all guests [doof/simon p/others?]?

I used to compare Hallucinogen and Shpongle albums in order to see where did Raja contribute.

are u shopongled is very similiar to hallucinogen albums, so I assume Raja contributed in tales of the inexpresible much more. moreover, there are more instruments in it, which are his specialty if I got it right...

Anyway, I love the Shpongle albums much much much more then Hallucinogen's, so I guess Raja isn't just a decoration.

Sphongle is somehow unique in its way. Whether or not Raja Ram contributed, it will be loved for the soul purpose of being something diffrent in comparison. Everybody loves to gag at Raja because he's giving away too much of a fake charisma and everything, but I sure as hell feel good knowing he was around during the creation of 1200 mics. It's hard to take anyones biased opinion about how much Raja Ram suck, when your taste in music is totally diffrent from what it is they're giving away. Raja Ram is not bad, he's just not as great as the true artists such as Simon, yet he sure puts the silver spoon in my pillbill.

Since I haven't made a hit at Simon, it's safe to say that I'm not familliar with much of his work except for Sphongle of course.

Anyways, what's up with Raja and drugs?

Now Raja Ram. He did a Shpongle-set on Fullmoon... Boy did that suck. The man just put on different tricks and couldn't even mix those properly. To me he was really annoying, singing every sample and not even singing 'm correctly. Seriously, I ask you! I was disappointed Simon didn't do a set.

I think I don't even wanna talk about 1200 mics, cause it was really too embarassing. And fuck everybody that disagrees and has a great time dancing to those lame themed and drugged sampled theme-shitty-trance. You all have a terrible taste and I'm NOT gonna IMHO that. Period.

All they did was shout: "let's get high", "where's my acid", "let's all take some mescaline" (on top of the original sample and false too!!) and playback instruments we all could see but couldn't hear. An embarrassing, even to pop acts. \\

581506[/snapback]

Dont you think judging him based on a single act you heard of his is unfair ?

I was there too @ Full moon. And it wasnt that bad, IMO. Or may be because it was my first festival, I loved every bit of the festival. :P

But I still feel that Raja's contribution to Shpongle is forgotten many a times.

well.. when i listen to shpongle i recognise the simon p style throughout.

its the same with other people.

i dont know if raja was posing for simon and gave him inspiration or whatnot... but its difficult to see what his contribution (musicwise) was, except from playing the flute.

BUT, i remember a link someone posted (nick inzo?) which detailed raja's involvement in a psy-rock band waaay back.. it seems like he actually has been involved in making good music for a long time, all this contradicting "popular thought".

so.... i dunno!

Guest The Journey Man Project

IMO I think Raja Ram was soing the trippy ambient ethnice vibe way before Simon P, way before TIP with original hippy bands... I think people judge him now because the new TIP world sound is full on, and is seen as been somewhat respnsible for the modern overdose of the full on sound... be that as it may, I actually think Raja Ram did much more for this scene in the early days as a promoter and record labele (TIP) than Simon P did...

Shpongle = Simon + Raja Ram .... right ?

then why does Simon take all the credit while Raja ram is ridiculed ? Is it just because he is old and looks weird ? IMHO both deserve equal fame and respect.

But I've seen on this forum that Simon is Godford and Raja ram is just Goa Gil... Why ?

580999[/snapback]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

^ :lol:

@Santo: I saw him three times at fullmoon, mind you. I saw Simon P. twice.

I saw two Shpongle sets, one of which was totally amazing and one of those was utterly disappointing. You do the math.

And I really, really cannot understand why someone would like that 1200 mics act. Boy, they sucked so hard. And yeah, that's arrogance from my side but I really don't care. I honestly believe my taste matters more! :P

Summary: I don't care about Raja Ram. I don't like what he does, that's it. Not my cup a' tea and all that. Good luck to those that do. :)

honestly , i dont like both.

581950[/snapback]

Then which one do you like?

Kidding. You mean "either", as in "I don't like either." "I don't like both" implies you like one of them and not the other. English is fun. ;)

shpongle is = "OMG S POSFORD" overrated shit anyway!, but same goes for Entheogenic and OTT.. commercially successful though! Better start listening to real ambient.

[/pointless bashmode]

shpongle is =  "OMG S POSFORD" overrated shit anyway!, but same goes for Entheogenic and OTT.. commercially successful though! Better start listening to real ambient.

[/pointless bashmode]

581987[/snapback]

I like Shpongle but agree it is a little overrated. What I don't like is Raja Ram's flute playing. I just don't hear what everyone things is so good about it. It really sounds amateurish.

I like Shpongle but agree it is a little overrated. What I don't like is Raja Ram's flute playing. I just don't hear what everyone things is so good about it. It really sounds amateurish.

581988[/snapback]

It's "S. POSFORD MAN!" don't you get it? Anyway, nah I can enjoy some sphongle tunes but it certainly doesn't live up to the hype imo... but maybe because it ain't really my type/kind of music... so i actually should back the fuck up ;) The flute could as well have been some VST though.. hehe

What I don't like is Raja Ram's flute playing. I just don't hear what everyone things is so good about it. It really sounds amateurish.

581988[/snapback]

You must be kidding , right ? If that sounds amateurish, you must have listened to better flute samples. Please to tell us which.. :)

What I don't like is Raja Ram's flute playing. I just don't hear what everyone things is so good about it. It really sounds amateurish.

581988[/snapback]

I agree, he's not really that great with the flute.

581021[/snapback]

Amen... I see Raja´s role in the Shpongle-project as a muse for Simon. He has mentioned it in several interviews. Simon may be a genius, but it takes two to tango... I mean, Shpongle ;) IMO, that´s what collaborations are all about.

After seeing the interviews in Liquid Crystal Vision, with Raja´s rantings, it´s easy to see where it all comes from. It is pure chemistry.