Computer Setup for Music Production

So I have decided to venture into this music production world.

I found this machine here I believe is enough to produce for quite some time:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1138087857903

Processor Brand Intel® Pentium® D

Processor Speed 2.8GHz

System Bus 800MHz

Cache Memory 2 x 1MB on die Level 2

System Memory (RAM) 2GB

Type of Memory (RAM) PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM

Hard Drive Type Serial ATA (7200 rpm)

Hard Drive Size 250GB

Recordable DVD Drive Yes, double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW

Recordable DVD Drive Speeds 2.4x DVD+R DL; 16x4x16 DVD+RW; 8x4x16 DVD-RW; 5x DVD-RAM; 40x24x40 CD-RW

>> 700,00 USD

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Now... I want a recommendation for a SOUND CARD!, software and midi controller, Monitors

Anyone? I was comparing Mac vs PCs prices and I can't really like the idea of spending more on a Mac even though many people say Macs are better for music production.

I'm thinking about spending tops USD 500.00 on Sound Card + Midi Controller.

And another top USD 500.00 on the monitors

So.. can anyone give me a hand here?

Hold your worries..Stalker is here to help you out

Nice.

First of all, in terms of processing capacity this computer is very nice

A Pentium D with 2 Gig of RAM is more then enough

Bottom line: Your computer is excellent for music making

Now, about soundcards, software and Monitors…That’s when it gets tricky

Personal experiences is what we know to be “the best”, cause frankly there was not a single sane man that test it out every single sequencer, soundcard etc

We can rely on some famous quality solutions

For U$ 500 you can get a really nice sound card like the M-Audio DELTA 10/10

Or you can go tight and get the EMU.... now that’s nasty

You’ll have plenty more options to choose from, but put in mind that M-Audio and EMU are famous for their high quality products with an accessible price

Obviously, if you want to spend a lot of Money you can get a MOTU but that’s almost U$ 2000, so save that for later

Software:

Now I’m a Logic user and there is no better program for making electronic music than Logic. However this only applies to my opinion and there is nothing more personal then choosing your own sequencer

I would recommend thou, you should stick to the ones that hold quality, not because they have an easy interface. Therefore, you can try Logic, Sonar or Cubase..In that order please

I believe Sonar has a free demo available on-line, test it out

The only down side about Logic is that you can run in a PC unless you get to have the greatest Sequencer ever made: Logic Platinum 5.5 for PC, which is fairly cheap now, because you can’t upgrade it for a new version

Monitors:

You are very right on deciding to spend some good money on monitors, because that’s a part you can’t go cheap

I don’t know too much about it, but stay away from Behringer

Google for it and see which one fits the best in your price range, try to get a Mackie or a Wharfedale DP8.1A Diamond Pro

About PC vs Mac…I would definitely go for a PC, because macs are for white snob rich guys

If someone told you that a Mac is better than a PC for music making you should ask them where he got that info and after that you should laugh and call him an idiot

PS: If you want to talk about it in Portuguese or you have a specific doubt about the whole music making process, just ask :)

Hey there Stalker... (I'll speak in English so others can join in and help me out as well)

So.. when I said USD500,00 I said for BOTH Midi Controller + Sound Card. So those sound cards you recommended are kind of outta the question for now unless I can find a Midi Controller for USD 100.05 or 5 cents respectively.. :lol:

From the top of my ignorance and lack of experience, I'd rather spend more on a Midi Controller that should contribute marginally more to the creative process of music making that an expensive-full-of-resources sound interface should contribute to music making with quality/fidelity. Are you with me on this one?

So.. Midi Controller with more keys, knobs and sliders and a at-least-decent sound card is what I am aiming for here.

I was thinking about M-Audio for both Sound Interface and Midi Controller.

In this case I was thinking about these options here:

M-Audio Axiom 49 @ USD 250

+

M-Audio Firewire 410 @ USD 260 (but when you click on it says 299?! :blink:

What do you think?

hi

you should consider the Saffire LE soundcard from Focusrite. I'm going to buy this one. I've read good stuff about it and it's not as expensive as the M-audio and Emu ones. What I've read too, is that M-audio doesn't always deliver high quality products. I myself have no experience with M-audio products whatsoever.

If it comes to monitors, you should check out these ones:

Samson Rubicon ...S-series

Tapco S-series

KRK RP-series

Mackie HR-series

Alesis M1 Active MKII

These are all active monitors. Go to shop and take a cd with you. Listen to it on different monitors and buy those who you like most. Monitors are something you should buy the last, which means if you have a lot of money :) But the ones I mentioned are good for a while.

edit: that pc has monsterspecs (compared to mine :)) but you should have 2 hard disks: 1 for your projects etc and 1 for backups. But you have a DVD-writer, so it's not that necessary I suppose.

So my trip to NYC is kinda messed up because all flights are fucking packed!

That means... I have no idea what I'm gonna do. The situation of Varig, the biggest brazilian internationl airlines, is critical and all their passangers are packing other companies' flights.

Hmmmm now I need someone to bring the stuff to me, paying the import taxes..

So my trip to NYC is kinda messed up because all flights are fucking packed!

That means... I have no idea what I'm gonna do. The situation of Varig, the biggest brazilian internationl airlines, is critical and all their passangers are packing other companies' flights.

Hmmmm now I need someone to bring the stuff to me, paying the import taxes..

579829[/snapback]

what fligts man.

cant u see stalker standing in the ship. tell him to bring he will not ask for tax. :lol: