'dark' psy....

Dajek

Most darkpsy I've heard is unmusical, extremely repetitive, monotonous, boring and irritating. I haven't checked much names, but I've been to a few parties. It sucks.

Yet there is this Ghreg on Earth guy, and while he isn't perfect and resorts to repetitive and annoying sounds once in a while, he mainly represents what I think darkpsy should be. Clever, brooding, a tad evil-sounding, powerful, yet atmospheric, and not forgeting melodies and the musical aspect of... music.

So... anything similar I could try out :P ?

darkpsy or any other form of psy is what it is, not what it "should be", no matter how much you want to, its musicians/producers who make it afterall, so you wont change it by saying "it should be like this and that", unless you start to produce one yourself :D .

well, i dont understand you people - if you want "melodis" then go elsewhere, simple as that, i wouldnt call darkpsy chaotic, you just have to open yourself to it ;).

not that im a big fan of darkpsy/forest psy, but i do enjoy some of it.

IMO

I also find a lot of the dark psy obnoxious and just plain random noise - but it's of course a matter of taste. There are interesting projects though - Para Halu, Penta and Electrypnose has made some pretty interesting stuff in my opinion, and the Århus crew is pretty good as well: Meteloids, Jahbo, Grapes Of Wrath, Alrune.

I also find a lot of the dark psy obnoxious and just plain random noise - but it's of course a matter of taste. There are interesting projects though - Para Halu, Penta and Electrypnose has made some pretty interesting stuff in my opinion, and the Århus crew is pretty good as well: Meteloids, Jahbo, Grapes Of Wrath, Alrune.

577302[/snapback]

Arhus crew rules, too bad Parvati started releasing the Russian material more and more. The local gang was providing so much more interesting music. Tits on Fire album is almost a classic in my eyes.

I can also recommend oCeLoT's album. It's wicked! And Electrypnose is nice too, though i consider him as more Full-On'ish than Dark Psy.

Psykovsky .. his last album smacked my brains left right and centre .. Powerful unrelenting dark psy music to the core ;) I find it surprising most people just couldnt relate to his last album :(

darkpsy or any other form of psy is what it is, not what it "should be", no matter how much you want to, its musicians/producers who make it afterall, so you wont change it by saying "it should be like this and that", unless you start to produce one yourself :D .

well, i dont understand you people - if you want "melodis" then go elsewhere, simple as that, i wouldnt call darkpsy chaotic, you just have to open yourself to it ;).

IMO

577290[/snapback]

I know, I'm an elitist bastard. I can't help it. Hopefully I will change in time.

Psykovsky ..  his last album smacked my brains left right and centre .. Powerful unrelenting dark psy music to the core  ;)  I find it surprising  most people just couldnt relate to his last album  :(

577335[/snapback]

I think that the fact that i don't drink enough acid with my coffee must be responsible for me not understanding what goes on in this album

I think that the fact that i don't drink enough acid with my coffee must be responsible for me not understanding what goes on in this album

577339[/snapback]

maybe :)

I know, I'm an elitist bastard. I can't help it. Hopefully I will change in time.

577337[/snapback]

Why? Being elitist about music is just about liking what you like. If you don't feel elitist about music then you just end up up listening to music you think is sub par :angry:

Well, it depends on what it is you are looking for. If it is melodies you want, darkpsy is indeed not the genre for you!

I personally recommend Para Halu's album. It's usually considered highly musical and clever, in spite of its lack of melodies. It's pretty monotonous and subtle though, so some people might have a hard time swallowing it ;p

The Grapes of Wrath & Meteloids album is great dancefloor material, highly recommended if you're into the more dancable stuff!

• 4 weeks later...

577290[/snapback]

Forest psy? You're kidding right? That's got to be the most ridiculous genre name I've ever heard! :rolleyes:

It's taken me a while to figure out exactly what the general sound of "dark psy" is, and the majority of it I don't like. Not because it doesn't have melodies, but because it just isn't dark to me. When I think of the term "dark psytrance", I have a definite idea in mind, and it is dark, evil and scary. Most "dark psy" that I hear is anything but. It's just a bunch of weird sounds, and I don't find that dark at all. But of course, I'm just one guy.

Forest psy? You're kidding right? That's got to be the most ridiculous genre name I've ever heard!  :rolleyes:

595480[/snapback]

It's very specific, but it's real! Again, I'll throw the Schlabbaduerst recommendation out there. If you haven't heard it, especially the Battle of the Future Buddhas and Ka-Sol tracks (and their various collaborations), you haven't heard the forest sound.

Otto Matta, the bobbing cat in your signature was bobbing exactly in time with the song I'm listening to!  :D

595481[/snapback]

Sweeeeeet. Love the bobbing cat. Does that make it a bobcat? :unsure::D

[OT] Bobcat:

Posted Image

Such a wise expression, no? [/OT]

Some of you really ought to give horror place a shot. Its scary , hypnotic , hard and uniquely fast dark mu-sick. Highly recommended under the 'dark' category !!

i saw procs this morning performing live and indeed he was rocking my ass of, harder and darker then i expected but still with that awesome trippy forest touch... procs is verry nice...

all other darkpsy i saw last night as melorix and hishiryo etc really made me loosing my interest in darkpsy a whole lotta more...

i think it's funny that whenever a guy specifically asks for "music that sounds like artist x", people invariable end up offering names that cover the whole spectre of a (sub)genre, and beyond :P

in other words dajek, and sorry if i'm being rude to others, if you want something that's pretty close to ghreg on earth (industrial, gothic, deep) check para halu, dark soho (the influences from their album 'combustion' on ghreg are sometimes really obvious) or xenomorph

most of the other artists that have been suggested here, grapes of wrath, procs, scatterbrain... they make very good music, but you can't really say their sound is akin to that of ghreg on earth