Anyone got any tips for a SH101 Clone

I need a SH101 Clone as VST, and good is, if its cheap :)

576761[/snapback]

Hey Nemo,

The SH-101 is a very basic monophonic synth with only one osc and one lfo, so pretty much any subtractive VST will have it's features. Where the SH-101 shines is that it's, of course, analogue... so it can do some amazing bass without the sound breaking down and getting muddy... which is a problem for digital synths. With soundcards capable of higher sample rates this becomes less of a problem, but they still are just a sample of the real thing.

As far as a cheap (or free) VSTs that can do killer bass, I'm a big fan of Bazzoid. I've also heard great things about Synth1 and Tau.

But, unless you have a meaty soundcard, you're not going to get the clean ripping bass that only analogue offers.

I think TC|Works' discontinued Mercury-1 was an SH-101 clone (it's an VSTi):

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/77.html

(You should still be able to *ahem* find it somewhere.)

I haven't heard about any other replicas. SH-101 has a distinctive sound (that you can hear on for example Hallucinogen's records), and so you are unlikely to be able to emulate it satisfactorily with just any VST. You could try VAZ Modular; it sounds aggressive and analog. After that you just have to try recreating its sound with other VSTs.

..and theres the Sonic timeworks SH-1001

http://www.sonictimeworks.com/sh.php

thaught it sounded pretty sweet myself, and has a hoofing bottom end too.

583060[/snapback]

There's something about this plugin that makes my skin crawl... personally I don't think it sounds anything like a 101 but I guess it would be good to use as a teaching aid.