The Psytrance Scene: Is It Dying?

Tempestuous G

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Psy has been going on for ages... but I’m quite new to it. I don’t think its dying, there are many club nights here in England (London).. Antidote seem to do quite a few party’s, but they are a little bit commercial. They try to bring in the biggest artists and make as much money as poss... Even to the point where they will add other types of music to boost their night.. The last antidote night I went to was I.M at the Brixton academy, that had a house/ prog trance room mixed in.

But if you hunt there are quite a few other good organizers..

The best psy night I have ever been to was run by these peeps

http://www.kundaliniuk.com that was really magical… (I think part of the reason for this is they give any profit to charity) so they seem to put a lot more in to it.. There are a few other groups that have the same philosophy….

there are also the implosion nights…

so it is a bit commercial but if you chose your nights right you can do really well

Psy has been going on for ages...  but I’m quite new to it. I don’t think its dying, there are many club nights here in England (London).. Antidote seem to do quite a few party’s, but they are a little bit commercial. They try to bring in the biggest artists and make as much money as poss... Even to the point where they will add other types of music to boost their night.. The last antidote night I went to was I.M at the Brixton academy, that had a house/ prog trance room mixed in.

But if you hunt there are quite a few other good organizers.. 

The best psy night I have ever been to was run by these peeps

http://www.kundaliniuk.com    that was really magical…  (I think part of the reason for this is they give any profit to charity) so they seem to put a lot more in to it..  There are a few other groups that have the same philosophy…. 

there are also the implosion nights… 

so it is a bit commercial but if you chose your nights right you can do really well

575508[/snapback]

The only really good party organisers are Synergy parties. The decor is always unbelievably amazing. And its 100% psy all the way. They also have the most fuck off sound rig ive ever heard.

Guest Rezwalker

Psy-trance scene is dead since 2001 imo.

the reasons are two mostly.

1)lots of amateur labels. more informations to thread "I am angry, very angry!" by Elysium in section "I am angry at you the labels because:"

and i believe this is a generaly problem and not only Elysium's problem.

2) p2p programs. probably some labels think "no money no honey"

so the results are less interest, less promotion, less interest about music quality...just to find a way to sell cd's.

thats why last years we heard CRAP albums from HUGE artists like : Oforia, Joti shidhu, MFG (1 track exception),Astral projection, electric universe (especially the last one), Space tribe, Etnica, Orion. Planet ben etc etc

Psy-trance scene is dead since 2001 imo.

the reasons are two mostly.

1)lots of amateur labels. more informations to thread "I am angry, very angry!" by Elysium in section "I am angry at you the labels because:"

and i believe this is a generaly problem and not only Elysium's problem.

2) p2p programs. probably some labels think "no money no honey"

so the results are less interest, less promotion, less interest about music quality...just to find a way to sell cd's.

thats why last  years we heard CRAP albums from HUGE artists like : Oforia, Joti shidhu, MFG (1 track exception),Astral projection, electric universe (especially the last one), Space tribe, Etnica, Orion. Planet ben etc etc

575730[/snapback]

I'm inclined to agree with you.

i think another major pb is it's so easy to make music nowadays...

anyone can try cause it's getting cheaper and cheaper...

and then of course this scene has never been about professionalism, so many people want to release their friend's trax, or wanna be "cool" and connected cause they own a label and know people in the scene, and all this drags the standard quality down... and it's only gonna get worse imo...

Guest antic

Psy has been going on for ages...  but I’m quite new to it. I don’t think its dying, there are many club nights here in England (London).. Antidote seem to do quite a few party’s, but they are a little bit commercial. They try to bring in the biggest artists and make as much money as poss... Even to the point where they will add other types of music to boost their night.. The last antidote night I went to was I.M at the Brixton academy, that had a house/ prog trance room mixed in.

hehe, that's exactly what I meant - if one understands 'psy' as the music labelled as such today (full-on, prog & dark), then it's definitely not dying, far from it; however if you as me associate 'psy' with old goa and 1998-00 psytrance, then... well... it's lying on its death bed waiting to give its last breath :unsure::rolleyes::)

hehe, that's exactly what I meant - if one understands 'psy' as the music labelled as such today (full-on, prog & dark), then it's definitely not dying, far from it; however if you as me associate 'psy' with old goa and 1998-00 psytrance, then... well... it's lying on its death bed waiting to give its last breath  :unsure:  :rolleyes:  :)

575749[/snapback]

sad but true... i am trying to bring the old goa back, with some newskool influences of course, can't always be the same music, genres have to evolve, it happens

things in life tend to shift.. whether you like it or not.. the earth is rotating.. time is passing.. the psytrance scene isnt the goatrance scene anymore.. and it will probably not be psytrance anymore soon.

if you dont like the shift.. find your way elsewhere or dig deeper. It doesnt make much sense to me to complain about something you want to stay put while its basic characteristic is to move.

there is loads of nice things happening in this scene. You just got to find it. It used to be a little easier i admit.. there is a load of crap to search through now.. but the bottom line is the nice things (parties, atmospheres, releases etc) still exist.. Good luck on your quest :P

I am sure btw you'll find some of those nice things here (in between the crap).

there is loads of nice things happening in this scene. You just got to find it. It used to be a little easier i admit.. there is a load of crap to search through now.. but the bottom line is the nice things (parties, atmospheres, releases etc) still exist..  Good luck on your quest  :P

I am sure btw you'll find some of those nice things here (in between the crap).

577273[/snapback]

There is a lot of crap to search through but you do find some gems hidden in the horse shit!

I consider a psytrancer to be openminded to all aspects of live including music..

Of course everyone is entiteled to their own opinion,, but ranging taste has rarely given any fruit. I think the only product you get from dividing generas into "good", "bad", and "ugly" is that you loose your own enjoyment in the present state.

I feel that a mix crowd can bee positiv if the fractures of people embrace the other genere, taking in the "others" joy that they get,, even if they get their kick out of "the israeli shit". Acceptance, seeking and ability to enjoy other people enjoing them selves.

-T.I.P.world (r.i.p)

Once they where pioneers in the scene, now they are "icons". From releasing top notch tunes to cover 80"s hits. A clear commersialising of the psy expresion. Humoristic and party wibe music for sure, but some of the psycedelic elements are missing. I wonder what chains of tougth led to this change?

What do you think? Opening the scene to the public? Getting payed for many years of work? Seeking global recognition? I dont know, but it has changed for sure.

peace to all ghnomes and midgets :D

Its all over :(:(

:P

its not all over but some things will never be the same again. 1 in every 20 people i meet says to me that he listens to psytrance. at first i was happy that so many people share my musical interests.but when i find out that they consider IM latest killar psychedelic or that they have skazi's gigs on video in their mobiles i get sad... :(

Its all over :(  :(

:P

its not all over but some things will never be the same again.  1 in every 20 people i meet says to me that he listens to psytrance. at first i was happy that so many people share my musical interests.but when i find out that they consider IM latest killar psychedelic or that they have skazi's gigs on video in their mobiles i get sad... :(

577763[/snapback]

You changed your avatar. Why?

I wouldn't say the psytrance scene is dying. I'd say it's evolving into something different, but still called psytrance. Like everything, it takes more and more to satisfy the increasingly short attention span of music listeners. So the music has become what I would call something like "Action Music", similar to a Hollywood action thriller. It's no longer about putting people in a trance, but instead about satisfying their need for action sequences. Thus, the typical progression of a song is now: Two minutes of music, two minute break with overly-clever, sampled action sequence, two minutes of music, two minute break with overly-clever, sampled action sequence, two minutes of music, over.

There are of course a few exceptions. Meanwhile, more interesting music is being made more consistently in other genres. That's my take.

• 6 years later...

yeah for sure it's decaying in a massive way, at least the releases are, since Dark psy and Hi tech barely sell any cd's labels don't want to lose all that time and money in compiling, printing, mastering and shipping those cd's and in the end everyone just download the stuff from soulseek or dc ++, so that makes labels get tired of the little response and support there is of the listeners, resulting in years and years of dry scene with no releases at all.

On the party promoting side it doesn't look that bad there are still lots of parties and festivals all around the world

Guest antic

On one hand, I meant to say it is apparently doing well since you had to dig up a 7-years old thread about it. On the other, since yesterday no one replied to this and it still stays at the top of the forum, so there's indeed some true in it...