The Psytrance Scene: Is It Dying?

Tempestuous G

I was just wondering what some of your opinions were on the Psytrance scene. Do you think it's dying? Or do you think it is alive and kicking, and getting better as we speak?

To be honest it is hard for me to have an opinion on this subject.

I myself have never been to any psy parties, or even heard of any around here. Living in the USA, where to me it seems like the scene is pretty much dead... it disappoints me. But I see all the time on the internet about parties going on in Europe, Israel, Brazil, India, etc. I was just curious how the scene is over there, and what could be done to bring the scene over here, yet still keep it underground :D

Any opinions?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess it depends for who...

for those who love cheezy formulaic full-on music the scene is doing great...

for me it's getting worse and worse...

i can hardly find good new music these days...

but there are scenes in the US that are very much alive like in san francisco, LA or new york...

i guess it depends for who...

for those who love cheezy formulaic full-on music the scene is doing great...

for me it's getting worse and worse...

i can hardly find good new music these days...

but there are scenes in the US that are very much alive like in san francisco, LA or new york...

574937[/snapback]

oh come on!!!!

always that "my sound is better then yours" blahblahblah....

what music do you like?

darkstyle? there lots of partys!!!

minimal?? there lots of partys!!!

fullo-on? yeah, right your not ;)

so what the deal?

everybody says things like "that dumb full-on-israel-shit!"

but who said you have listen to it???

i dont think the scene is dying, but i think the scene got a new dogmatism!!!

years ago the freakz were like "i only listen to goatrance, everything else is not real"

and now many freakz are like! "i only listen to [enter any goa-genre], erverything else is not real"

WHATS UP WITH YOU???

always those discussion about who got the best gusto...

ARE YOU KIDDING????

gusto has nothing to do with inteligence or how cool you are,

its all about your emotion...

YOU HAVE NOT TO APOLOGIZE FOR LIKING SMTH.!!!!!

otherwise you cant feel free....

ps:@benf52:i dont mean you in particular, i mean it more generally :)

The scene here in the UK sucks. Its so commercial you wouldnt believe it. Everybody and their dog goes to trance parties over here, even people who really shouldnt be there. There is no magic here at all.

I miss the parties in Cape Town, they were the best ones with the best locations for sure.

Im kinda bored of psy. I like listening to other stuff now. Real music.

The Scene is not dying, it is morphing (has already morphed) into something else.

It has already happened once before afaik (when goa gave place to psy). And now it has happened once more (psytrance gave place to full-on and dark).

PS. some of you might say that psytrance was replaced with full-on, dark AND progressive, but tbh I've never understood why progressive (even 'psychedelic' progressive) is recognised as a part of the scene. Even though I like some progressive/psygressive?: I don't think it's psychedelic.

PSS. then again.. most full-on and most dark is hardly psychedelic as well ;)

PS. some of you might say that psytrance was replaced with full-on, dark AND progressive, but tbh I've never understood why progressive (even 'psychedelic' progressive) is recognised as a part of the scene. Even though I like some progressive/psygressive?: I don't think it's psychedelic.

PSS. then again.. most full-on and most dark is hardly psychedelic as well  ;)

575041[/snapback]

at that point i disagree...

i have been to many partys in switzerland with progressive tunes and the partys were just psychedelic...

btw i think progressive can be psychedelic too!!! there are tons of track that are just mindblowing!!!!

oh so i can't say how i feel about the psy scene b/c u don't agree??

if u can't handle people's opinions that are different than urs don't look at these topics...

i have been listening to psytrance since 1999, and at first there were many good albums..

but now things have changed...

and no i don't like dark trance at all...

there are still tracks or albums that i like (latest vibrasphere comes to mind)

but like overdose said i am listening more to other styles of music these days..

cause every time i check new releases on saikosounds i get disappointed...

after a while it's discouraging when u see the amount of crap that's being released...

Though psy trance continues to gain in popularity, I can't help feeling it's rotting from the core out. It's been this way since the turn of the millenium in my opinion and it's getting worse each year, bit by bit, the heart and soul of the scene is withering and dying, and all that's left is what you see.

Some people will disagree ofcourse, and say the music's better than it's ever been, the parties are better than they've ever been, the vibe is excellent, but I wager few of them were into goa/psy during the mid 90's.

I myself have never been to any psy parties, or even heard of any around here. Living in the USA, where to me it seems like the scene is pretty much dead... it disappoints me.

574929[/snapback]

This is because you live in Minnesota where there is no psy scene...but you do in fact live relatively close to a few relatively new and thriving psytrance communities in the midwest...Chicago and Iowa to name a few...there is also the occasional event in Michigan, and I have friends living in Milwaukee who are djing and producing psy. In fact, there was a psy festival out in Wisconsin back in May. So don't make a comment like that until you have done your research and really checked out what is going on around where you live. For starters, check out www.chilluminati.org....and go check out a few psy parties before you start complaining.

574937[/snapback]

yes, yes, and yes...

The scene here in the UK sucks. Its so commercial you wouldnt believe it. Everybody and their dog goes to trance parties over here, even people who really shouldnt be there. There is no magic here at all.

574978[/snapback]

oof...this is bad news for me...I'm planning on moving there...but I kinda did know this...the rest of europe is very close by tho...so I'm not worried.

oh so i can't say how i feel about the psy scene b/c u don't agree??

if u can't handle people's opinions that are different than urs don't look at these topics...

i have been listening to psytrance since 1999, and at first there were many good albums..

but now things have changed...

and no i don't like dark trance at all...

there are still tracks or albums that i like (latest vibrasphere comes to mind)

but like overdose said i am listening more to other styles of music these days..

cause every time i check new releases on saikosounds i get disappointed...

after a while it's discouraging when u see the amount of crap that's being released...

575139[/snapback]

you misunderstood what i have written.

excuse me if i didnt made it clear!

you said smth abaout "cheesy full-on crap" and that was the point that i ment,

i also wrote that i dont mean u in particular.

i mean a big part from the scene.

i didnt want to displease you!!!

sorry if i did!!!!!

you think you can forgive me? :rolleyes:

Well in Mexico is decaying, last two times i was robbed and cops always beat the hell out of you ,tear-gas , extremely bad and violent vibes....a tent stolen....

id rather go to psytrance parties in clubs... :(

575234[/snapback]

I remember someone pulling a gun out at a trance party before and he beat some guy up. He was some hectic drug dealer or something.

Guns at Trance parties...

Whatthefuck?

I remember someone pulling a gun out at a trance party before and he beat some guy up. He was some hectic drug dealer or something.

Guns at Trance parties...

Whatthefuck?

575250[/snapback]

a friend of mine (party organizer) was beaten up last year after a marty he made...

3 guys came with some metal bars hit him and a friend,destroyed deco and stole money and stuff...

it was horrible... :angry:

Though psy trance continues to gain in popularity, I can't help feeling it's rotting from the core out. It's been this way since the turn of the millenium in my opinion and it's getting worse each year, bit by bit, the heart and soul of the scene is withering and dying, and all that's left is what you see.

Some people will disagree ofcourse, and say the music's better than it's ever been, the parties are better than they've ever been, the vibe is excellent, but I wager few of them were into goa/psy during the mid 90's.

575145[/snapback]

I´d pretty much share your opinion altough we still have a party every now and then with good vibes, good music (...yes even old Goa :)) and good people.

In the summertime we have parties here pretty much every weekend and a lot of forestparties...

It´s not as good as it was before and I sometimes feel that a lot of people don´t care about the music at all...They are just there because of the dope and thats sad

A couple of youths died here this month at Psyparties too...due to overdoses. :(

Like O.D also mentioned I´m also a bit bored with the parties and the music too...

If I go it is mostly to see som friends these days. I also enjoy other types of music a bit more now even if a raging oldschool goa set still kicks nicely for me ;)

Guest antic

Those kind of topics appear here with very high regularity :)

For me it's simple - if you like full-on, dark-psy or progressive-psy, then there is no way you should feel dissapointed about current state of the scene.

However, if you like me fell in love with goa/psy in second half of 90's, then you surely can be frustrated with the changes we've seen in recent years. The mystical / psychedelic vibe is mostly gone, giving place to more commercial, club-friendly sounds. All that happened because psy got more popular around the world, due to globalisation (it's easier & cheaper to travel around the world and spread the music) and internet (p2p software). It's not bad that it become more popular, but it means that there are a lot of people at the parties that are there only because it's popular - they don't care about all that surrounded the scene in the 90's. They just want to have fun, get high and find a date :) Psy has become a regular dance music, without all that mystical / metaphysical / mysterious things that surrounded and inspired the musicians 10 years ago... And let me get things straight here - I don't think that all this shiva statues, chai shops, fractal covers and meditation are necessary, but they definitely had an influence on the music that I appreciate.

I don't complain though - there are still some fine releases in all 3 subgenres and you can always search eBay or your favourite p2p network for old goa/psy - I'm sure you haven't heard them all? :)

However, if you like me fell in love with goa/psy in second half of 90's, then you surely can be frustrated with the changes we've seen in recent years. The mystical / psychedelic vibe is mostly gone, giving place to more commercial, club-friendly sounds. All that happened because psy got more popular around the world, due to globalisation (it's easier & cheaper to travel around the world and spread the music) and internet (p2p software). It's not bad that it become more popular, but it means that there are a lot of people at the parties that are there only because it's popular - they don't care about all that surrounded the scene in the 90's. They just want to have fun, get high and find a date.

Psy has become a regular dance music, without all that mystical / metaphysical / mysterious things that surrounded and inspired the musicians 10 years ago...

575282[/snapback]

Word(z)... ;)

i think that all of those that complain the scene is going to hell fail to realize a couple of things: 1) the only one slowly dying here is you... and me. 2) perhaps after 10 or 11 years of listening to goa/psy, perhaps... just perhaps you are growing tired of the same old sound and music has changed to styles you don't particularly enjoy. It happens in ever scene, Hip hop used to be grassroots - now it's bling, Rock used to be Elvis - now it's death metal, and punk used to be... well... punk and now its some mash between ska and shit pop. SO while i have still grown out of some of those scenes, certain things will always be gems. I will always enjoy say, NOFX - The Decline ( B) ), but i don't listen to punk anymore and if you ask, it died a long time ago, without realizing, it simply changed and it got popular and there's other people listening to it that don't share my taste for 'that' kind of punk and they are ones that are doing the buying, so the style changed.

If you seriously dislike the way it's going here, i have no suggestion... perhaps it's time to ask yourself if you are simply jaded of the whole thing after all this time, and it's time to move on to another genre. But for the love of god, let's try to avoid opening threads every other day "psy trance is dead"... i want more hallucinogen.

cheers... :)

But for the love of god, let's try to avoid opening threads every other day "psy trance is dead"... i want more hallucinogen.

575308[/snapback]

It should be mandatory to post such a thread every day in my opinion, but hey, that's just me.. and I'm jaded. :D

you guys are wackos... lol

this was supposed to be a friendly thread!

discussing the topic... not telling everyone their opinion is all a load of crap... tsk tsk

i guess im just tryin to figure out how all of this stuff works, i myself produce Goa and want to throw some parties someday in the US, but i dont want them to turn into some tier gas, riot police, drug ridden festivals, just want it to be about the music

you guys are wackos... lol

this was supposed to be a friendly thread!

discussing the topic... not telling everyone their opinion is all a load of crap... tsk tsk

i guess im just tryin to figure out how all of this stuff works, i myself produce Goa and want to throw some parties someday in the US, but i dont want them to turn into some tier gas, riot police, drug ridden festivals, just want it to be about the music

575448[/snapback]

Haha, you pressed the wrong button :lol: Or the right B)

The scene is dead, the scene is alive, the scene is dead alive.

is it dying?

not here in Toronto...

its appears to be growing here...

if you want a scene to grow, throw your own parties...

and throw them often...

if there is a scene to be had it will grow....

I am mostly into darkpsy lately... and there are no darkpsy parties here...

that doesn't mean the psy/progressive/fullon parties here aren't awesome!!!

you misunderstood what i have written.

excuse me if i didnt made it clear!

you said smth abaout "cheesy full-on crap" and that was the point that i ment,

i also wrote that i dont mean u in particular.

i mean a big part from the scene.

i didnt want to displease you!!!

sorry if i did!!!!!

you think you can forgive me?  :rolleyes:

575215[/snapback]

no hard feelings mate...

maybe i overreacted...