Spiral Trax R.I.P.

ProSect

Spiral Trax R.I.P. (1997-2006)

Thank you for bringing to us this wonderfull scandinavian morning psychedelic & progressive music through all of the years.

Write down here few of the albums which inspired you the most:

Human Blue - Ice

Atmos - Headcleaner

Logic Bomb - Headware

Human Blue - Electric Roundabout

Saiko-Pod - Phutures & Options

S-Range - Space

ND

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry that I havent replyed before about this.. yes its now official that Spiral Trax is no more.. sad story but Anti had no other choice.. there will be an article in Mushroom Mag about this.. I will post an official version here soon.

My comp will be out on another label, but its not decided yet, same goes for Atmos.

ACDC will be reborn as "High Voltage Music" and continue to release high quality 12".. but I see no future for Spiral Trax as it is now.. recordbuisness is hard these days..

Any questions please dont hesitate to contact me here.. my spiraltrax email is down at the moment but will hopefully be up soon.

Guest Cosmogenesis

After Spirit Zone a few times ago, another mythic deceased label! Very sad news once again! :(

Prosect, you have written my favorite and, at the same time, best spiral trax releases (according to me) among your examples:

Human Blue - Ice

Logic Bomb - Headware

S>Range - Space

I don't forget also some E.P. from Hux Flux, Katayama and Psychlopedia... :rolleyes:

One of the more negative things downloading has brought to the scene. Sad news, this. :(

574818[/snapback]

Is that why they folded?

I bet radi's to blame, that pirate.

One of the more negative things downloading has brought to the scene. Sad news, this. :(

574818[/snapback]

Now, I am in the midst of authoring a piece on this very subject, so I hope you won't mind some half-formed off-the-cuff comments on this subject. The whole notion that downloading is the root of all evil is nothing more than propaganda. One topic: why do releases sell less these days? You can blame it on downloading, but other factors, such as the sheery quantity of releases available for purchase, should be considered. This isn't the point I wish to make, however.

Even the best selling labels can fold. Follow the money trail; connect the dots. What major distributor recently declared bankruptcy? Any time a distributor closes shop, their outstanding debts go unpaid, to be absorbed by the labels. Even when the going is good, some labels aren't consistently paid for their successful releases. If you ask me, it is more feasible to examine and improve the situation of business practises in the small psytrance marketplace than it is to change the listening habits of countless tens of thousands of trance fans out there in the world.

R.I.P. Spiral Trax... one of my all-time favourite labels.

Huh, really sad news...maybe the best progressive trance label around closes down... <_<:huh::unsure:

Ummm, I know that nothing lasts forever and that most of major trance labels are already down, but I really wasn't expecting this from Spiral Trax... Argh ! :unsure::(

basilik i totally agree with u...

it's too easy to blame the death of a label on downloading...

what about the 20 new labels that pop up every week??

they are equally to blame imo...

anyway sad day indeed...

best spiral trax releases for me:

atmos - headcleaner

human blue - ice

Now, I am in the midst of authoring a piece on this very subject, so I hope you won't mind some half-formed off-the-cuff comments on this subject. The whole notion that downloading is the root of all evil is nothing more than propaganda. One topic: why do releases sell less these days? You can blame it on downloading, but other factors, such as the sheery quantity of releases available for purchase, should be considered. This isn't the point I wish to make, however.

An explanation that is widly overlooked is that the production costs for records are lower now as a result of increasing computer power and better software. Lower costs means higher incitamens for creating your own label. More labels means more competition. More competition means more supply but not necessary more demand. If the demand remains the same and the supply increases then the profit margin decreases hence forcing some labels to go bankrupt.

Even the best selling labels can fold. Follow the money trail; connect the dots. What major distributor recently declared bankruptcy? Any time a distributor closes shop, their outstanding debts go unpaid, to be absorbed by the labels. Even when the going is good, some labels aren't consistently paid for their successful releases. If you ask me, it is more feasible to examine and improve the situation of business practises in the small psytrance marketplace than it is to change the listening habits of countless tens of thousands of trance fans out there in the world.

574898[/snapback]

Yes, I agree, and I strongly doubt there is a basic understanding of economics or business economics among the psytrance record labels. Just because you have your own label you can't expect to live of it or break even if you do not know how to run a business.

Spiral Trax is gone and that's sad, they undoubtly had some important releases during their existance. If there's a continued demand for their kind of music a new label will certainly fill that gap.

:wub: SPIT018 Hux Flux Lex Rex Perplex / Errorhead (12") :wub:

SPITCD003 Atmos Headcleaner

SPITCD004 Logic Bomb Headware

SPITCD006 Vibrasphere Echo

SPITCD007 S>Range 2001

SPITCD017 Hux Flux Division By ZerØ

:(:(:(

Yes, there are a load of contributing factors to govern a labels success, and Spiral Trax may just have closed because of the things you mentioned. I don't believe that they closed just because of downloading - but the way I see it is, if everyone who downloaded the release actually went out and bought it, then we wouldn't have great labels like this one folding.

Yes, there are a load of contributing factors to govern a labels success, and Spiral Trax may just have closed because of the things you mentioned. I don't believe that they closed just because of downloading - but the way I see it is, if everyone who downloaded the release actually went out and bought it, then we wouldn't have great labels like this one folding.

575452[/snapback]

well, perhaps then new labels would pop up even more recently than they are now, so the situation would be the same, since demand cant be endless :).

575452[/snapback]

A download is not a lost sale, a lot of people download music that is worth more than they could afford to pay for so even if downloads could be completely banned it would not necessarily mean a new golden era for the record labels. If you compare the mid 90's to the present you will find that most people consume more dvds and video games today than they did back then. The entertainment budget relative to the consumers income is probably constant during that period but more things are bought for that money today.

575452[/snapback]

I believe you missed my point, so let me be blunt. They can completely sell out every release, but if the distributor doesn't pay up, the ship sinks.

...but the way I see it is, if everyone who downloaded the release actually went out and bought it, then we wouldn't have great labels like this one folding.

575452[/snapback]

Agreed.

I'm sad to see Spiral Trax go, but I guess they hadn't been super-active in the last year. However, it was always quality over quantity with the label.

My first Spiral Trax record:

Human Blue - Stonehenge/Psychotix - SPIT003

Still love it. :)

About the downloading issue - I don't think that it should be such a big factor anymore as it was when p2p first started getting big several years ago. The digital market is becoming profitable (although I never saw Spiral Trax tunes available in that format) and people are still buying CDs and vinyl. I agree that the the biggest problem is that the economics just don't work if there are such a neverending supply of new labels popping up for such a miniscule scene. Cosmophilia going under possibly hurt as well, I'm sure. Although I'm not sure if that is the culprit for Spiral Trax since AFAIK they had already switched to Two Hand Distribution awhile back. Also, very few people running labels have any fucking idea of business & economics...I'm not necessarily saying that Anti falls under this category, but every single shitty label taking a bit more from an already-small pool hurts all of the others.

At least ACDC is still around - that seemed to be the more active side of Spiral Trax lately anyways.