What do you use to make your tracks?

Greetings,

So, after reading over a few posts, I get the feeling that a lot of people on the boards are using softsynths.. and a few using hardware. Here is what my studio setup has;

Wavestation, EA1, X5Dr

Juno 106 & 2

TR 909 and 808, TB 303

EMU Vintage Keys

Waldorf Pulse

and a load of outboard gear...

What do you all use, and what is your fav one thing you tend to go to?

Cheers!

Hey ya,

yeah I like to get the hell out of there and come back with a coffee and some chocolate, YUM!

My other favorite thing to do in the studio is turn it up real loud on a friday night when I've got the mix just about playable. Only to annoy the neighbours and those noisy feckers in the beer garden below my flat you understand.

Zen and the art of being louder!

Other than that I just use Albino. And RMIV for drums. Used to use ES2 with logic, but then jumped ship to Cubase. I chucked out most of the hardware that was following me around.

And tons of free overdrive, amp sim, tube emulation and dynamics plugins from the net.

peace,

miKe

www.kodamawat.com

TB 303

570035[/snapback]

yummi, I'd like to have one of those :wub:

Here's what I use:

- Access Virus C

- Clavia Nord Lead 2X

- M&M MKII (it's supposed to sound like a 303, but somehow it fails, I guess nothing sounds like a real TB303)

- AKAI MPC 1000 (for programming the track I use Logic though, for me it's much easier that way, but for live only the AKAI MPC, no PC)

- Genelec 8040 monitors (have to get myself a decent Subwoofer to handle the low frequencies)

- Soundcard: M-Audio Delta 1010LT

- and a shitty Behringer mixer

oh man you have a real TR 909, 808 and a TB 303.

post a picture of your studio please.

:P

570141[/snapback]

Once I get a new digital, you got it! =)

I use Fl studio with VST:-

Albino

Vanguard

Z3ta

vb1

Tau pro

Voxengo effects

:rolleyes:

Thats all I have

570481[/snapback]

Do you have any tracks I can listen to - I've been toying around with the idea of software as of late.

yummi, I'd like to have one of those  :wub:

Here's what I use:

- Access Virus C

- Clavia Nord Lead 2X

- M&M MKII (it's supposed to sound like a 303, but somehow it fails, I guess nothing sounds like a real TB303)

- AKAI MPC 1000 (for programming the track I use Logic though, for me it's much easier that way, but for live only the AKAI MPC, no PC)

- Genelec 8040 monitors (have to get myself a decent Subwoofer to handle the low frequencies)

- Soundcard: M-Audio Delta 1010LT

- and a shitty Behringer mixer

570362[/snapback]

Very nice on the Virus and Nord. =)

The MAM MKII is a nice unit (I have one) if you use it as it's own thing - in no way does it come off like a 303. There is one unit on the market (that you would have to by second hand) that sounds spot on for a 303 and that is - Syntecno TeeBee . If you can find one, you will not regret it!

-V

CPU's: Mac Powerbook and Mac dual core tower

Software: Ableton Live, Logic Audio, Native Instruments Komplete 3 package, Vanguard, Muon Tau Pro

Hardware: Virus TI (which is AMAZING!!!!), Nord Lead 3, Mini Moog Voyager (though not too much), Novation X-Station 25, M-Audio Firewire Solo, KRK V6 monitors, Sony MDR-V900 headphones

Cheers! :P

Software: Ableton Live, Logic Audio, Native Instruments Komplete 3 package, Vanguard, Muon Tau Pro

Hardware: Virus TI (which is AMAZING!!!!), Nord Lead 3, Mini Moog Voyager (though not too much), Novation X-Station 25, M-Audio Firewire Solo, KRK V6 monitors, Sony MDR-V900 headphones

Cheers!  :P

571448[/snapback]

Gotta love the Ableton - Meat Beat Manifesto had a remix comp a few months back with them, but didn't get around to doing anything with it. Do you have the "desktop" version of the Virus?

I remember hearing that the Virus had a emulated moog filter - what's that about?

later!

Greetings,

So, after reading over a few posts, I get the feeling that a lot of people on the boards are using softsynths.. and a few using hardware.  Here is what my studio setup has;

Wavestation, EA1, X5Dr

Juno 106 & 2

TR 909 and 808, TB 303

EMU Vintage Keys

Waldorf Pulse

Cheers!

570035[/snapback]

what music do you make with such equipment? you have any tracks i could listen to?

thx

Pentium 4 2.8 ghz 1 ghz ram

echo indigo dj

cubase sx 2

oxygen midi controller

alesis MI MKII

dsp discovery

z3ta

protoplasm

atmosphere

dr rex

NI battery

waves plugin bundle

tc native bundle

audio damage plugins

and thats about it.!!!

planning to get: tc powercore with virus and novation x-station... as soon as i can!

Gotta love the Ableton - Meat Beat Manifesto had a remix comp a few months back with them, but didn't get around to doing anything with it.    Do you have the "desktop" version of the Virus? 

I remember hearing that the Virus had a emulated moog filter - what's that about?

later!

571467[/snapback]

Seriously, Ableton is awewsome!!!! The thought of starting a track in Logic is scary. One problem i have found with ableton is that when i am rendering a bassline out from a vst synth (usually the Vanguard), the resulting render sounds slightly defferent each time. When i finish writing a track in ableton i import each rendered file into Logic for some finishing touches. This problem has forced me to save the vst settings and reload it into Logic and import the midi file from Ableton. While this isn't a huge hassle, it makes me loose faith in the fidelity of Ableton rendering capabilities. Has anyone else encountered any issues like this while rendering with ableton?

Yeah i have the desktop version of the virus and am SOOOOOO happy with it. They recently released a more stable version of the Virus Control which I am beggining to use more. Up til now, i have just been using the hardware alone (w/o the virus control) and it ROCKS!!! Its gotta be one of the, if not the best virtual analog synthesizer out there!! :D

Indeed the Moog filter emulator is awesome also!! We have a Mini Moog in our studio so we can do a side by side comparison and it is almost spot on. With our eyes closed we were hard pressed to tell the difference...

Cheers!!

what music do you make with such equipment? you have any tracks i could listen to?

thx

571896[/snapback]

Hi,

I'm not sure what one would call it..... it's electronic / along the line of older cosmic baby / but let me put some tracks up. Give me a few days. =)

As for making goa/psy - I don't know why, I just never could get the sound right..... (but I keep tryin)

Greetings,

So, after reading over a few posts, I get the feeling that a lot of people on the boards are using softsynths.. and a few using hardware.  Here is what my studio setup has;

Wavestation, EA1, X5Dr

Juno 106 & 2

TR 909 and 808, TB 303

EMU Vintage Keys

Waldorf Pulse

Cheers!

570035[/snapback]

Cool things - especially the Roland ones. Well my instrumentation is:

Clavia Nord modular

Arp Odyssey

Roland SH 101

Yamaha cs1x

Fender el-guitar

different mics and effect pedals + diffenrent stuff like metal plates and chinese hanging cymbals

Cool things - especially the Roland ones. Well my instrumentation is:

Clavia Nord modular

Arp Odyssey

Roland SH 101

Yamaha cs1x

Fender el-guitar

different mics and effect pedals + diffenrent stuff like metal plates and chinese hanging cymbals

572305[/snapback]

Very nice on the Odyssey, 101 and the cs1x. =) What version of the Odyssey do you have?

Cheers!  :P

571448[/snapback]

Great stuff. I'm considering buying a pair of KRK V6 as I my first (and only)impressions with them were really good. It's hard to say though if this impression is going to last, so please tell me your experience with them

The black/orange one

573359[/snapback]

So, you have a MK3...

For a long time, I had a MK1 just sitting around, as well as an Octave Cat. Turned out I was using the Cat more than the MK1, so I sold off the MK1. Eventually the Cat went as well.

The good ole days. B)

Computer: 2.5ghz Celeron [!!], with 256MB ram, cheapo sound chip...

Fruityloops Studio 6, with Sytrus, Vanguard,Z3ta,Crystal softsynth,synth1,virisyntera,nrg-a,csv80[sp?, to lazy to look], superwarep8, superwavepreformer,kubik_214,blue_101,chronox3,daOrgan,StringStudio [gotta those russians]...

Of all my synths, id suggest to someone looking to buy, to get SWPreformer, and StringStudio,--SuperWaveP8,Crystal, and Synth1 are all free.

Sytrus is ok for some leads, i don't use it that much however, very hard to use

Vanguard is great for plucking trnacy sounds, i have used it a few times [in my Hypertrance track] extremely easy to use

Z3ta, is overall good for many diffrent types of sounds, very easy to use

Crystal is VERY hard imho to use, but it is GREAT for pads/ambient/atmosphearic sounds, i used it in Goa india

synth1 is what i use for phat sounds, the bass in Goa india was made with synth1, and even so, i could have made it phatter, super easy to use

VirsynTera...is a fucking monster to use, expect a very hard time learn, sence it is really 16 diffrent synths, which can be used at the same time to make nice sounds, expensive too, too complicated for me, i rarely use it for now

nrg-A, eh..i used it, never got much into sence i have many others, its kinda for the medium level user, not really hard

csv-80 [CS-80V :P] is leet for basses, kinda hard to use sence none of the stuff on there uses standard terminology imho

sueprwavep8 - what can i see, its leet, good for makeing theose 'riseing' leads can be very phat if you use it good, really easy to use

superwave preformer, another monster, i can use it ok, but it wasnt easy from day one, has 12 oscilators FTW, and built in arp,delay,chorus,reverb etc, the works, id buy it if i were you, very cpu intensive [virsyn is very cpu intensive also]

kubik and blue, eh, i like them, haven't had chance to use them much, i'll have to get back to you on that one, both of them are hard to use however [lots of lines and wave forming and matrixingy-stuff etc]

chronox3, bleh, didn't like ti that much, and none of the presets i have for it work, seems pretty simple synth wise

DaOrgan, best organ simulator i know of, very great, lots of effects that come with real rogans are also present, easy to use

StringStudio is very leet, hard to use, sounds great, lots of options, cna produce pretty much any stringed instrument in existance, and is also self working [don't need a host iirc]

well, that's my run down and take on the synths, i heard ppl were looking for good stuff, these are all my opinions

Whoa! Talk about a rundown. =) I'm gonna check out some of these right now. Tx!

Computer: 2.5ghz Celeron [!!], with 256MB ram, cheapo sound chip...

Fruityloops Studio 6, with Sytrus, Vanguard,Z3ta,Crystal softsynth,synth1,virisyntera,nrg-a,csv80[sp?, to lazy to look], superwarep8, superwavepreformer,kubik_214,blue_101,chronox3,daOrgan,StringStudio [gotta those russians]...

Of all my synths, id suggest to someone looking to buy, to get SWPreformer, and StringStudio,--SuperWaveP8,Crystal, and Synth1 are all free.

Sytrus is ok for some leads, i don't use it that much however, very hard to use

Vanguard is great for plucking trnacy sounds, i have used it a few times [in my Hypertrance track] extremely easy to use

Z3ta, is overall good for many diffrent types of sounds, very easy to use

Crystal is VERY hard imho to use, but it is GREAT for pads/ambient/atmosphearic sounds, i used it in Goa india

synth1 is what i use for phat sounds, the bass in Goa india was made with synth1, and even so, i could have made it phatter, super easy to use

VirsynTera...is a fucking monster to use, expect a very hard time learn, sence it is really 16 diffrent synths, which can be used at the same time to make nice sounds, expensive too, too complicated for me, i rarely use it for now

nrg-A, eh..i used it, never got much into sence i have many others, its kinda for the medium level user, not really hard

csv-80 [CS-80V :P] is leet for basses, kinda hard to use sence none of the stuff on there uses standard terminology imho

sueprwavep8 - what can i see, its leet, good for makeing theose 'riseing' leads can be very phat if you use it good, really easy to use

superwave preformer, another monster, i can use it ok, but it wasnt easy from day one, has 12 oscilators FTW, and built in arp,delay,chorus,reverb etc, the works, id buy it if i were you, very cpu intensive [virsyn is very cpu intensive also]

kubik and blue, eh, i like them, haven't had chance to use them much, i'll have to get back to you on that one, both of them are hard to use however [lots of lines and wave forming and matrixingy-stuff etc]

chronox3, bleh, didn't like ti that much, and none of the presets i have for it work, seems pretty simple synth wise

DaOrgan, best organ simulator i know of, very great, lots of effects that come with real rogans are also present, easy to use

StringStudio is very leet, hard to use, sounds great, lots of options, cna produce pretty much any stringed instrument in existance, and is also self working [don't need a host iirc]

well, that's my run down and take on the synths, i heard ppl were looking for good stuff, these are all my opinions

573576[/snapback]

VST

Korg legacy cell

korg wavestation

vanguard

albino 3

novation V-station

novation bass station

absynth 3

pro 52 /pro 53

host

fruity 6

cubase SX1

reason

adobe audition

some examples of the music

573764[/snapback]

Which artist would you be on the site above?