FREq- Gosub 20

GaySatanicHippie

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, listened to it 4-5 more times and yes, watch out for exploding dancefloors this summer!

We are having a festival in the end of August, mainly techno/electro/prog/dnb and I can't choose a better track than Stone Shaker to play there. I'm sure these people wont forget my set ;)

But saying it's #1 because millions of people like it is non-sense. What people? Drug-heads and teenagers? The more, the better? Try producing hip-hop, mr.Freq. You'll sell even more.

But I don't think I'd ever play it at a psy-party. Top-notch production - yes, but it lacks something - I miss depth a diversity here in the first place.

One-sided cube. But what a side!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of Strange Attractors and so I had big expectations for Freq's follow up. So, Is Aran able to live up to the splendor of SA?

Well, yes and no. I like G20, but it's different from SA. It seems Aran this time around wanted to keep things more smooth. Where SA opened with two monster dance tracks and, generally, had a more aggresive vibe to it, G20 is more subtle. Mostly, anyway, and the result for me is an album I can't really put my finger on. It flows, but there aren't many surprises and the result at times may seem a little bleak. At least when compared to the fanfare of goosebump moments that was SA.

Still, fans of progressive ought not hesitate ordering G20. Aran still has a firm grip on all the essentials and I also have the feeling this could be an album that grows on you. The sounds are as rich and fat as ever and the more I hear it, the more details I discover. All in all, I guess a safe purchase with potential :)

• 2 weeks later...

hey there everyone

Ive just been reading all these reviews and thought I needed to add my 10 cents!

First up - congratulations Aran on making some more find music for everyone to add to their collections and to make the party rock, its not easy to produce such fine tracks, to all those that bag freq out - you try it, lets hear your efforts

I think a lot of people dont realise where freq comes from musically and also who he is, but heres a clue

Aran has a big love for oldschool trance - the big beautiful paddy trance from the nineties, you can hear it on track 1 for ex where a beautiful big chord drops in and just kinda makes things nice and well - nice

Not content to simply make trance he has been furthering his production with his take on 'progressive'. Funny term because this sounds pretty much like psytrance to me, all the progressive I hear kinda sucks, good production but no peaks or buildups and not enough variation, definitely not the freq sound!

I have a LOT of freq tunes - around 10-11 CD's worth, mostly between his first album alloys and strange attractors, mostly unreleased, this is from before things really started 'happening' for him. its pretty clear to me that his skills just keep on getting better and better, no doubt about it go sub is definitely moving forward, and better forward imo

there is a huge range in his styles, from big breaky break downs, very trancey housey influences, he even made quite a bit of drum and bass, which totally rocked, basically he is a musician who like to make interesting music - music inflenced by what he hears, but which has a core element which is definitely freq - the NICE element, you can hear it all over the shop on gosub 20

did you ever hear such nice and fat 'dancefloor' beats. the kick drums are infectious, they just make you wanna start dancing from the moment they begin, fat punchy, good to dance to, nice sounds, but still pushing the boundaries, nothing really 'weird', the odd sound that is definitely quirky, but with such a pounding beat and bassline its not gonna put you off on a weird one if u know what I mean

all good

as an old friend of aran's I am glad so many people love his music, I always did and still do, amazing to see his music become so international, u just got to remember he is just an ordinary guy, like you or me - incredibly talented yes, but incredibly hard working would describe him too

about gosub - i think track 6 is my fave, unbelievable bit in the middle, total mashup, id love to hear that on the dancefloor, totally peaking, full moon, blah blah blah

keep tuned for more great music from freq, hes been pulling the good shit out for over 12 years, he aint gonna stop, whatever styles he puts his brilliance to

hey there everyone

Ive just been reading all these reviews and thought I needed to add my 10 cents!

First up - congratulations Aran on making some more find music for everyone to add to their collections and to make the party rock, its not easy to produce such fine tracks, to all those that bag freq out - you try it, lets hear your efforts

[unquote]

So what you're saying is that people who don't make music themselves can't be critical :huh:

Damnit :angry: I thought I was entitled an opinion ;)

Well, have had this for a while now.

Like many, after SA, expectations were very high and I straight up ordered this without even listening and that is very very rare for me these days.

My thoughts are that it has a different overall feel but the quality if there. No doubt about it.

SA had a way of having a huge impact in a very subtle building sort of way.

This album is a bit more psy and bit less prog??? Something like that. Great dance music. Very smooth. Beautiful production. Crisp. Bright. Groovy. Fucking wicked.

My one and only issue (and this is being very nit picky) is that every track does not move me deeply (SA was that good). But this is still solid.

No regrets and my respect goes to Freq. Keep up the good work. Don't rush the next one and make it just as good.

:-)

P.S. relaxing right now on a Friday night with a cold beer listening to track 7 right now. Awwwwwwwesome!

• 1 month later...

this isnt a bad release, Ive heard much worse. It seems everyone has the same opinion about Gosub 20 as they did about Circadians, "his previous one was better." I dont know, I havent heard any more of Freq. Though I like this one. If the other one's better, I should get it too!

I dont know, I havent heard any more of Freq.  Though I like this one.  If the other one's better, I should get it too!

613776[/snapback]

It's a must have for every progg psy head! I consider Strange Attractors to be a classic ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

never liked the first album, recoginzed the intilligence but couldn't manage too like the sound,

this album is great, more psychedelic sounds comparing to the more clubby touched sounds in the first album...

I like it, decent drive, very humble :)

^ apparently he's still suffering from the sideffects :]

the album is well produced tho lacks some originality and re-invention, present in the 1st album, that are other artists, who have released more than one album and are in the scene for some time, still capable of. on the other hand some take more clubby approach... which is in this instant the case of FREq and also many others. for me the 1st album is definetly better ...

You mean Strange Attractors was more clubby? You're the first person to say such stuff.

the first person who told the earth was round in case off flat was burned by the mobb :P;)

on topic:

I understand like the rmx is more clubby stuff and the bassline is more another level (not better) on 2006 release,

but the sound freq uses on S A sounds so clubby for me, it doens't crawl, cry or speak, it are like more tiny layer after layer combined in a concpet,

well I don't like the sound,

so I'm to subjective,

but I like this one :)

the first person who told the earth was round in case off flat was burned by the mobb :P;)

on topic:

I understand like the rmx is more clubby stuff and the bassline is more another level (not better) on 2006 release,

but the sound freq uses on S A sounds so clubby for me, it doens't crawl, cry or speak, it are like more tiny layer after layer combined in a concpet,

well I don't like the sound,

so I'm to subjective,

but I like this one :)

Oh my, Sideffect, I think you just discovered the everlasting truth of psy-trance criticism! Now all you have to do is start a thread and include there your insightful contribution. Hurry up, the history chronicles are waiting...

And btw... - the first person that told the earth is round instead of flat was Ptolemy, which lived before the start of christian era. Later that theory was adopted by Kopernik which also proclamied heliocentrism on top of that. If he would be burned he would be burned for his heliocentric ideas... and that would be by Inquisition and not by mob (oh ye you misspelled that word). Instead of that he died happily on his bed and at the same time his work was published to avoid any Inquisition inquires. End of history lesson.

P.S.: And "so I'm to subjective" is with "too", so you got that wrong too.

Posted Image

1. Brazil (Brush Mix) (8:25)

2. Space Noodle (6:44)

3. Silent Circuits (10:05)

4. Byte Me (7:50)

5. Stone Shaker (9:52)

6. Beatstreet (8:27)

7. What A Feeling? (6:38)

8. Singularity Part II (4:39)

9. Aisha (6:34)

I have three letters for this release:

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>WTF????????

</span>

WHO PUT DROP IN YOUR BRAIN???

As you can probably figure out by now, Im pretty disappointed. Ever since I first layed ears on this release, I'm asking myself what happened to FREq. Is this the same person who wrote "Short Life Again", "Return to the Masters", the "All Seasons" Remix, and last but not least the most excellent "Avatar" from the Labyrinth compilation?

Unfortunately yes, even though most of this record sounds as if a 15 year old teenager from Tel Aviv sat in the studio reminding Mr. Gallagher constantly "This too slow, need more sounds, make faster and more kiilllaaaaarghhhhhhhh!!!!" In other words, while FREq's typical fat sounds and tight production clearly shine through, most of these tracks (1-5) are a sorry attempt to cater to the Full-On crowd, Full-Gressive probably would be a fitting word . IMHO, they lack the depth and punch that is usually typical of Freq, and the sounds and synths, while being really awesome on their own, dont really move me at all. Superficial is the word, I guess. And the basslines, usually FREq's strength, get downright obnoxious, especially on track 5.

Track 6 is a whole other matter. Here FREq tries to jump on the Electro-house bandwagon, and it just doesnt work. This track is just really awkard and plain out wrong, D-Nox and Beckers would probably roll around in their graves if they were dead. But they are not, so there no need to try to copy them. Its just a track the world doesnt really need.

Now we get to the part of the album that I like. Track 7 is very euphoric and Euro-Trancey, but contrary to the track before it just works. Awesome synths and sounds, fat punching bassline this for sure will get any sun-drenched dancefloor going. Track 8 is a housey pleasant groover, but its also very plain and pale. Definitely not bad. Track 9 is a chill-out track, and its very good. FREq really builds some beautiful dreamy soundscapes with some nice twisted sounds.

OK, what I dont get is, how come a track like Avatar, IMHO the essence of Prog. PsyTrance, if an alien comes down and asks me "Show me progressive Psytrance"

I would show this track, and I heard it played at a million parties, only gets released as a mixed version on the Labyrinth Compilation, while these tracks are released on the Album? WHY WHY WHY???? I already said it before and I will say it again, FREq is always best when hes slow and grooving, and quite frankly I dont know anyone who prefers his faster stuff. Oh well, enough bitching, Im gonna go listen to his old stuff and drown in my geriatric nostalgia.

Now you know 1. I prefer his faster tracks a lot more then groovy deep progressive tunes.

"FREq - Time Stretcher" Is it fast enough for freq?

Oh well, anyways this track is my absolute favourite from his entire discography.

One of the most original psytrance basslines i have ever heard.

Now you know 1. I prefer his faster tracks a lot more then groovy deep progressive tunes.

"FREq - Time Stretcher" Is it fast enough for freq?

Oh well, anyways this track is my absolute favourite from his entire discography.

One of the most original psytrance basslines i have ever heard.

I agree, Time Stretch is an awesome track.

Also 'Nurbs' is at 140 I think, and that is one of my favs of his

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...