5. Stone Shaker (9:52)

6. Beatstreet (8:27)

7. What A Feeling? (6:38)

8. Singularity Part II (4:39)

9. Aisha (6:34)

I have three letters for this release:

WTF????????

WHO PUT DROP IN YOUR BRAIN???

As you can probably figure out by now, Im pretty disappointed. Ever since I first layed ears on this release, I'm asking myself what happened to FREq. Is this the same person who wrote "Short Life Again", "Return to the Masters", the "All Seasons" Remix, and last but not least the most excellent "Avatar" from the Labyrinth compilation?

Unfortunately yes, even though most of this record sounds as if a 15 year old teenager from Tel Aviv sat in the studio reminding Mr. Gallagher constantly "This too slow, need more sounds, make faster and more kiilllaaaaarghhhhhhhh!!!!" In other words, while FREq's typical fat sounds and tight production clearly shine through, most of these tracks (1-5) are a sorry attempt to cater to the Full-On crowd, Full-Gressive probably would be a fitting word . IMHO, they lack the depth and punch that is usually typical of Freq, and the sounds and synths, while being really awesome on their own, dont really move me at all. Superficial is the word, I guess. And the basslines, usually FREq's strength, get downright obnoxious, especially on track 5.

Track 6 is a whole other matter. Here FREq tries to jump on the Electro-house bandwagon, and it just doesnt work. This track is just really awkard and plain out wrong, D-Nox and Beckers would probably roll around in their graves if they were dead. But they are not, so there no need to try to copy them. Its just a track the world doesnt really need.

Now we get to the part of the album that I like. Track 7 is very euphoric and Euro-Trancey, but contrary to the track before it just works. Awesome synths and sounds, fat punching bassline this for sure will get any sun-drenched dancefloor going. Track 8 is a housey pleasant groover, but its also very plain and pale. Definitely not bad. Track 9 is a chill-out track, and its very good. FREq really builds some beautiful dreamy soundscapes with some nice twisted sounds.

OK, what I dont get is, how come a track like Avatar, IMHO the essence of Prog. PsyTrance, if an alien comes down and asks me "Show me progressive Psytrance"

I would show this track, and I heard it played at a million parties, only gets released as a mixed version on the Labyrinth Compilation, while these tracks are released on the Album? WHY WHY WHY???? I already said it before and I will say it again, FREq is always best when hes slow and grooving, and quite frankly I dont know anyone who prefers his faster stuff. Oh well, enough bitching, Im gonna go listen to his old stuff and drown in my geriatric nostalgia.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to join in on the bitching, when I first saw there was a new FREq I was like wow. After having heard the samples though... well, next one please. Flat and boring at best -_-

Sometimes i think you are claivoyant, Ace Ventura. have you tried working as a medium?

567461[/snapback]

hehe yes it is my side job actually.

For the next week,i forsee you will have sex with a few old and very gay men.

i hope u practice safe sex! its a jungle out there :P

On the topic,i will not review the album,but surely im not surprised by the reactions - although i think they are "a tad" harsh :unsure:

Obviously, its very easy to be dissapointed after STRANGE ATTRACTORS - i dont really know many artist who released a "milestone" album, and duplicated this with their next one. it's just not so easy.

From a DJ point of view,i can just say that u better buy some earplugs,because this album is going to be played TO DEATH in this season's open airs.

Full-on,flat,boring or whatever u wanna call it - after playing most of this album in a few parties,i can testify Freq still is the dancefloor king when it comes to progressive psytrance.

Some of these tracks brought VERY big smiles to many many people around europe already,and the main example being track 6- beatstreet,which i really dont think copies Dnox and beckers - i beleive u refer to the Arrpegiated synthline in the break,and on this the latters sure dont have a copyright .Been done before them and will be done after them.

This track really causes a (good) mess on the dancefloor,quite distinctivley more than whatever was played before and after.It doesnt mean its good - but u just cannot decide with your own taste,what track the world needs or not.

Also,the only clear full-on elements in this album ,are notable on track 5 which is simply faster than the rest of the album.

So,i can surely understand the let-down after FREq's previous efforts .

i also prefer the style of timeless classics such as SHORT LIFE,RETURN ETC ETC,but nevertheless - Don't forget this is still DANCEFLOOR MUSIC wer'e talking about....

And on that account,i must say,the man has done a damm fine job .

i hope u practice safe sex! its a jungle out there  :P

On the topic,i will not review the album,but surely im not surprised by the reactions - although i think they are "a tad" harsh  :unsure:

Obviously, its very easy to be dissapointed after STRANGE ATTRACTORS - i dont really know many artist who released a "milestone" album, and duplicated this with their next one. it's just not so easy.

From a DJ point of view,i can just say that u better buy some earplugs,because this album is going to be played TO DEATH in this season's open airs.

Full-on,flat,boring or whatever u wanna call it - after playing most of this album in a few parties,i can testify Freq still is the dancefloor king when it comes to progressive psytrance.

Some of these tracks brought VERY big smiles to many many people around europe already,and the main example being track 6- beatstreet,which i really dont think copies Dnox and beckers - i beleive u refer to the Arrpegiated synthline in the break,and on this the latters sure dont have a copyright .Been done before them and will be done after them.

This track really causes a (good) mess on the dancefloor,quite distinctivley more than whatever was played before and after.It doesnt mean its good - but u just cannot decide with your own taste,what track the world needs or not.

Also,the only clear full-on elements in this album ,are notable on track 5 which is simply faster than the rest of the album.

i also prefer the style of timeless classics such as SHORT LIFE,RETURN ETC ETC,but nevertheless - Don't forget this is still DANCEFLOOR MUSIC wer'e talking about....

567516[/snapback]

After such divergence of opinions.. I'm looking forward to listening to this album.

As I said somewhere else too: this one deserves some more listening-sessions before I review it but I've got several theories about this one.

1 FreQ wanted to avoid making "Strange Attractors Pt II"

2 That album was made without any pressure & he basicly just did his thing by himself. Now he's regularly touring & playing at all the main festivals. Maybe he just wanted to have some more dancefloor orientated stuff to play aswell?

3 Although he had released "Alloys" before 2004 he was basicly a "nobody" or a "promissing talent" to the in-crowd at best. Now he's on first-name-basis with the crème-de-la-crème of the psy-scene, so I guess it's inevitable to get influenced (even subconciously) by that?

4 Right after "Strange Attractors" came out, many ppl (incl me) said he had just saved his best tracks for the album & then just put out all his scraps & B-tracks on compilations, as everybody wanted to have a Freq-track on the V/A. Maybe now he just wanted to proove us all wrong this time :) ?

Anyhow, this albums is far from crap, but it's just not what most ppl expected from Aran. So far my fav is track 3 "Silent Circuits" 10 min's of vintage Freq bliss :D

i hope u practice safe sex! its a jungle out there  :P

On the topic,i will not review the album,but surely im not surprised by the reactions - although i think they are "a tad" harsh  :unsure:

567516[/snapback]

I dont doubt for one second that this is great dancefloor music, but its not more than that. Other FREq releases were both, great for the dancefloor and great exciting music.

Anyways, just dug up that thread from a while ago where I praised the Avatar track, and you talked about two even better Freq tracks, dreamscape and Globe. What happened to them?

About D-Nox and Beckers, of course they dont have the copyright to electro house, Im actually kinda sick of their "trademark" sound as well, I just used them as an example.

Anyways, just dug up that thread from a while ago where I praised the Avatar track, and you talked about two even better Freq tracks, dreamscape and Globe. What happened to them?

567858[/snapback]

Well sir, Dreamscape actually became the track "Silent Circuits" (track 3) and Globe is still unreleased.

i will here by reveal that FREq has made a new (and excellent imho) tune for my upcoming compilation,the track is called THE MOON AND THE EARTH and i think u wont be dissapointed with this one B)

far out... went to the CD launch party in melbourne for this last night. holy shit. maybe the CD isn't as great as expected (havent heard it myself) but live, Freq is the fuckin man!

I'll be buying this CD on monday morning. unreal

far out... went to the CD launch party in melbourne for this last night. holy shit. maybe the CD isn't as great as expected (havent heard it myself) but live, Freq is the fuckin man!

I'll be buying this CD on monday morning. unreal

568557[/snapback]

dude, you could've bought it at the show! :)

i'm still absorbing this cd. i really don't like the vocals (track 5 i think), and there's a few other things i'm a bit iffy about. but expectations usually tend to throw me a bit, i really need to play it alot more before i can adequately rate it.

dude, you could've bought it at the show! :)

i'm still absorbing this cd. i really don't like the vocals (track 5 i think), and there's a few other things i'm a bit iffy about. but expectations usually tend to throw me a bit, i really need to play it alot more before i can adequately rate it.

568801[/snapback]

haha, man, I could barely find my way out of the venue let alone find where they were selling CDs. I think I asked a mate to go back and get one for me but the door dudes wouldn't let them.

Doh!

Tomorrow I'll have a copy :)

i have to admit i am not a big fan of his later stuff (strange attractors etc)

but his alloys album is still far superior to anything he has made since then

even the tracks that appear on new zealand compilations (the gathering etc) are much better imo of course.

maybe if he moves back to christchurch he may get the old freq back again? :)

I'll also add to the sentiments of disappointment. It's good and will absolutely rip dancelfoors apart - there is no doubt about that. But it's for the most part lacking that "wow factor" that the first album had. :(

On the bright side, however....

That distorted breakdown in "Stone Shaker" is one of the positively sickest moments I've ever heard in progressive trance. :blink: I mean, WHAT IN HOLY FUCKING HELL IS THAT?!?! If FREq is going to go with the faster brain-twisters on this album, then this is what I'd expect to hear from him. Distorted as fucking hell, but 100% melodically coherent. Chaos meets beauty. It's like if Gibby Haynes was genetically crossed with Peter Gabriel, did a gargantuan line of PCP and spent a couple days in the studio to sort it all out and came up with this 1-minute breakdown. If I don't get to hear that on the alternative floor at Voov this year, I'm going to be seriously pissed off and will probably try to trigger the violent downfall of civilized society as soon as I get home. :angry:

"Singularity Part 2" is also a definite winner. It's just so....damned....pleasant! I don't expect to be playing this in any psy/prog sets (perfect for a nice melodic proghouse set), but I get the feeling it's going to be in my playlist for the next year or two.

Anyways, I know I'll be hearing all of the tracks on the dancefloor this summer, I know I'll be jumping up & down while they are playing waving my lighter in the air like a retarded schoolgirl, but that's exactly what these tracks are designed for. We've heard what FREq can do beyond the A+ dancefloor killerz formula (ie, AVATAR...why isn't this released in unmixed format???), and this album ain't it. FREq is IMO a sonic genius, but he needs to be kidnapped and trapped in a studio with producers like Habersham or Martinez or Shiloh so he'll finally see that he doesn't have to cater to the psy crowd.

No, he from Denmark. Hes the one from the label Out of Orbit.

If thats the one whose your buddy, tell him the Gay Satanic Hippie liek his music and think its awesome!

570865[/snapback]

Nah, Martinez (the same guy you are referring to) lives in Denmark but is from my hometown Helsingborg in Sweden. I just recieved 5 promos from them :) Very nice music indeed....

Nah, Martinez (the same guy you are referring to) lives in Denmark but is from my hometown Helsingborg in Sweden. I just recieved 5 promos from them :) Very nice music indeed....

"Very nice" is a serious fucking understatement! :blink: He's currently releasing some of the most ingeneous unclassifiable music out there. I'd even venture to call some of it psychedelic.

To keep it on topic....I'd like to hear FREq experiment more in that vein sometime. I think he'd do it well.

"Very nice" is a serious fucking understatement! :blink: He's currently releasing some of the most ingeneous unclassifiable music out there.  I'd even venture to call some of it psychedelic.

To keep it on topic....I'd like to hear FREq experiment more in that vein sometime.  I think he'd do it well.

570933[/snapback]

Both you and GSH, take this WAY to serious ;)

• 2 weeks later...