III - Revival

13. Rediscovery [148]

14. Disc Recovery [148]

15. Area 1-50

16. Maximum Overdrive [153]

17. U.F.O.B.E.S.P [110]

18. Solid And Clear [149]

19. The Eschaton

“Leave out the fiction, the fact is: this friction can only be worn by persistence.

Weave out the missions: courageous convictions will drag the dream to existence.”

–Neil Peart

Jason Frazier has been previously featured in compilations left and right and then left again, alone or with Dylalien mostly in the Fractal Cowboys. Not counting those orgiastic collaborations with everyone else they could find in ensembles like The Replicants. One Day he decided it was a probably time to get a solo album out there and thus you are reading this, which is partly why I’m writing anything: To attempt explaining a complex and utterly confusing concept album based on One Day… Any random day you happen to get sucked by the TV for a little while, to meet the aliens later on and have a jolly good time. For the good, the bad, the funny, the corny, the clever and the overwhelmingly twisted put on your space helmet & try not stare directly at the source of energy.

Book I – The Walk In

( 1 ) By the Seashore we start picking up a droplet of water in our hands. The sea isn’t really important though, since we are watching the telly anyway flipping through reruns of our childhood as we keep ( 2 ) Changing Channels and ( 3 ) tuning in. Including that time the adventured drifted into outer space with the astronaut suit, invoking thoughts to ( 4 ) Mission Control telepathically. Traveling in memes all way to some hidden “cluster of stars” beyond our confines. Reception is coming in well from that side of space, loud and clear by the good grace of some metaphysical anomaly, explaining why is it supposed to sound that way altogether. Like some detuned bastard melody, product of the unholy mating between synth’s, squeezing noises and some random ethnic concubine, dashing inside and out from the spectrum. The bad news? ( 5 ) “…We have a problem…” the signal from mission control is down. Contingency measures are up and running, including ( 6 )Plan A. The first build up is taking place with a vicious demeanor. Things star unwinding by mid track and levels of maddening intensity break the rigid beat for a while. Which works beautifully when is time to start switching cue points for long progressions. Scrap that it went wrong, ( 7 ) Plan B is in action and some dude with the nasal voice is going in. Meaning a few sharp riffs might filter through the speakers. The beatjob as usual is great, leading up to tribalism by the midsection explaining why Quasar has been playing drums since he was five. So what this all about then? “… Giving you some keys which have been given to me, to pass onto you. These keys are to unlock doors out of your present progression. Doors opening on new vistas. Doors beyond where you are now”. Unavoidably leading to the encounter ( 8 ) …At Madame Zoe’s… where we learn “…the darkness is nothing but the shadow of the light.”

Book II – The Tranceformation

( 9 ) Trancemorphication can be defined as neo-folk trance quite correctly, fighting to change the atmospheric energy from the source by switching directions. The fun part is obviously going deeper into this vision and the ( 10 ) Higher Circuits need to be attuned before they explode. Trailing down in dissolution marked by the banging of a drum set, slowly attenuating the theme away. ( 11 )The Glum Leaper is a scowl at darkness into ecstatic fusion of morning tunes, mitigating the light. We are back to the hotel (yes, we made it!) and ( 12 )The News are on. Oddly enough some political figures inform us, “Scientist discovered today that all matter is ideas condensed into physical form. Everything is an illusion and we are the shadow of our true selfs.” Making the whole news prediction affair redundant, just like this particular passage of the saga.

Book III – The Revival

In ( 13 ) Rediscovery we are back to the ritual-dancing with organic artifacts around the bonfire. The approach to trance is different here and the samples quiver blurting out slices I won’t mention but a few concepts linger. In midst of this rediscovery the aliens have decided to drop by for a stopover. It isn’t social visit though, their hard drive messed up and they need help with the ( 14 ) Disk Recovery. You don’t refuse to help your ancient mates, but the procedure isn’t exactly a walk in the park. Flashes of data stream through, seeking specific beat information and breaks abound. Short circuits of ancient elevator music pour out, and before we can finish the job the aliens must be going. The outer space folks are most grateful for your help, so they invite you to cruise around in their spaceship. ( 15 ) Area 1-50 is one of the tourism spots for alien beings, so they take you along and you gladly accept… who else is going to take the pictures right? In the area you overhear two scientists, a French fellow and some American, discussing yellow journalism with a robot... right. Finding the scene rather boring the aliens decide to show you what the ship can do and ( 16 ) Maximum Overdrive is invoked in the eternal propulsion engine. The aircraft is admittedly slow, leaving the toms to heat up the scene with snares and gated scrungy leads, changing gears in the midsection as the exhaust pipes gather enough heat to initiate cruising speed. You realize this hectic and abrupt shift-changing affair will not sit well with Mercedes, and as such only interplanetary beings would call the ride comfortable. New levels of discordia arise for twisted trance. You can’t help wondering what might possibly be feeding the engine. It sure as hell isn’t fossilized gasoline, it’s ( 17 ) U.F.O.B.E.S.P. a new variant Shell should be rolling out next year, made mostly of more breaks, bubbly lines and the whole repertoire available in a typical drum set. We are catching our breath here. The trip from outer space is drawing to and end, leaving you to witness from a window earth, materializing into ( 18 ) Solid and Clear blobs of green diffused continents screaming “Aloha!”. Neo-Goa has extended their welcome and has been rejected by the purists before they can even actually listen to anything. Declaring it unfit to share this musical space with their beloved genre, without realizing you can travel the stream of sounds just as well, in the intricacies of moody and very shy melodies spawning from these channels of energy. Well you can at least acknowledge the beat which more than being synthesized rhythms, it sounds like someone beating live drums. ( 19 ) The Eschaton draws near now. Begging the question, what happens when you pick a droplet of water in your hand if Buddha is nothing but a lake? Before there is time to answer anything we are back to the ocean where the adventure begun, coming to terms with the fact you can travel without actually moving.

Finally...

One Day is a step forward in the twisted part of our scene. Music that would under no pre-conceivable mindset fit as dark. This is beyond the concept of thematic horror. It’s an unadulterated mind-bender that includes those dark moments spawning subconsciously at times, but that’s just part of it. In Quasar’s terminology, One Day is “Realization, Transformation and Revival.” Does it achieve it? It could be the placebo effect, or the tribal parts, perhaps the barely rational home made samples weaving a plot together through loose threads. Yet, the moral of the story does feel present in the end. What is even better for those who like to stitch different vibes back and forth: You have 8 full tracks here with diverse sounds in its cacophony and overflow of incoherent intensity levels. Unless your third eye opens briefly to grasp the concept intended. Either way, you can tell fearless neurons have been sacrificed in the concept, the chiseling of sounds into ideas and the artwork itself, to render a final product worthy of undivided attention.

At this point of evolution/destruction/re-restructuring of 'psychedelic' is where it gets tough writing anything about the music. Since there is no use for words at this plateau, they are meaningless. This is another language altogether when you let electronics do the talking. Resulting in a fast descent to La-La land, only to be taunted deeply before the captain throws you a life line by the end. Quasar is glad you took the ride and hopefully got something out from this experience to evolve for the better. As such, this is compulsory material for everyone out there who gets a kick from twisting neurons in diverse musical landslides the real world will never understand. They can sure as hell try though.

Where To Buy

Saiko Sounds >

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=5826

I am not much of a reviewer, but HAVE to comment on this awesome release...

This CD is a trip!

so awesome to hear all the tracks melted into each other without them blinding each while all complimenting each other...

(a segment of "the news" is on my answering machine right now...)

Highlights:

Mission Control

Plan A

Solid and Clear

This is one of the reasons I despise the title "darkpsy"... the dark bit infers

that it is a dark mood... while this album is quite uplifting...

...don't get lost on the trip...

I got so caught up on writting one long ass blagh i forgot to mention highlights. Higher Circuits did a number on my head the other night and the follow up with Glum Reaper is quite tasty as well. and of course mission control and plan A :)

for the interested parties, you can download a free promo album from Quasar here > http://www.sonic-energy.net/core/component...d,27/Itemid,69/

hmm sorry but no... IMO there are TONS of better dark trance releases out there. First off, although this has the trademark fast dark trance bassline, it's not really dark, it's more like just plain wierd. Second of all, there are just too many interludes to make listening to this album an enjoyable experience. Sometimes you hear a fast bassline and you think it's the start of a track, but then it just winds down to some very odd gibberish. Of course, I like some of the "speeches" and it shows that these guys have been playing around a lot with certain chemical substances but when you get to the point of having to fast-forward through 2-3 interludes just to get to a "normal" track it's just taking it too far IMO. And then some of the tracks (when you finally get to stumble an a track and not an interlude...) lack of direction, it's like the artists just randomly play around with their synths over a dark trance bassline most of the time.

but, sometimes, it can get pretty good as well, my top picks being track 4, 11 and 16 (but I should also mention that NONE of the tracks here made me jump out of my chair and start dancing or anything...)

5/10 from me...

I just got this album by mail today.. but in my first listen was fantastic! What a trip! :o I especially liked the last part! :)

I have to say I really liked the album not beeing put together like the typical 8-9 tracks but with a lot of interludes and weird transitions! So if u dont like to be surprised dont buy this album... but if u want a taste of something different, weird and exotic you should try this, just be prepared for your neurons to be sent into resonance! I will listen to this some more and get back! B)

by the way nice review RAH!

So if u dont like to be surprised dont buy this album...

573156[/snapback]

well imagine you buy and album and see that it's just a dude farting into a mic for 70 minutes... you'd be surprised too, but that wouldn't make you want to recomend it to others, no? :)

well imagine you buy and album and see that it's just a dude farting into a mic for 70 minutes... you'd be surprised too, but that wouldn't make you want to recomend it to others, no? :)

573269[/snapback]

Oh yes it would ;) if it was well produced :P

• 2 weeks later...

Just heard this for the first time, what a fantastic album! I really wouldn't call this "dark-psy" to be honest, so it's understandable that dark-psy fans may be dissapointed by this. I don't even like the vast majority of dark-psy, so the fact that i like this would point to it not being dark-psy. The only way to classify this album for me would be "twisted". It's really strange, and i love the unique way the album is laid out. Absolutely top notch stuff! :)

Just heard this for the first time, what a fantastic album!  I really wouldn't call this "dark-psy" to be honest, so it's understandable that dark-psy fans may be dissapointed by this.  I don't even like the vast majority of dark-psy, so the fact that i like this would point to it not being dark-psy.  The only way to classify this album for me would be "twisted".  It's really strange, and i love the unique way the album is laid out.  Absolutely top notch stuff! :)

580293[/snapback]

I will agree. with you... very beautifully twisted...

not conventional to darkpsy at all! (which iis one of things I loved about it!!!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

didn't heard this album yet, but i liked his liveset a lot on Boom Festival

too bad there was some clipping on the speakers that ruined it a bit for me :(:(

588819[/snapback]

Same here!

Very good psychedelic trance, but clipping from too much gain at the mixer :(

got this problem with some lives / djs... but never too bad :)

(ear problems? :lol: )

Same here!

Very good psychedelic trance, but clipping from too much gain at the mixer :(

got this problem with some lives / djs... but never too bad :)

(ear problems?  :lol: )

594911[/snapback]

I heard the Boom fest story from Quasar himself - he said some idiot ran up to the stage near the beginning of his set and said he 'wanted to play a little' - i guess he was able to tweak some stuff in the controller before the security got to him, and it fucked up Quasar's soundcard - he played a live set in the US the following weekend and he had to borrow Mubali's soundcard because his was constantly clipping.

back on topic - i think it's a very nice album, it's not 'dark psy', it's more twisted fast psychedelia. honestly i prefer his other alter ego (with Dylalien) - The Fractal Cowboys, their live set is just fucking unbelievable. album should be coming soon...

• 2 weeks later...

hmm... maybe because the album has no 'dark' elements what so ever? did you ever jump in fear out hearing anything? was it ever somber and macabre? that's what 'dark' trance is, spooky... nobody finds this album spooky and thus they don't think the term 'dark' applies here. It's really messed up music, extrmely psychedelic and well twisted... but dark?

dude if this is not dark then neither is derango.

but in response to your question: no music has ever made me jump in fear.

and i've heard everything claiming to be scary/dark/horror trance.

a lot of dark psy isn't "dark", it's just twisted/weird/experimental/fucked up.

that doesn't mean it doesn't belong to the subgenre.

to me this album has many sounds that are typically dark.

"darkpsy" might not be the best word to describe this type of music.

but it is more fitting than say, full on, progressive, minimal, or tech-trance,

wouldn't you agree?

in deed... this very sub-o-jective so i won't get into a senless discussion once again. just because it ain't dark in my book, it dosen't mean is not good. I sense a different atmosphere in "One Day" from Tumult. For me Quasar created an album that at times touches on 'nocturnal' imprints, but in general i see it more as joyus album... i explained it better in the last part of the review, no sense re-writing it... at the end is just good stuff, the rest is unimportant minutiae

I heard the Boom fest story from Quasar himself - he said some idiot ran up to the stage near the beginning of his set and said he 'wanted to play a little' - i guess he was able to tweak some stuff in the controller before the security got to him, and it fucked up Quasar's soundcard - he played a live set in the US the following weekend and he had to borrow Mubali's soundcard because his was constantly clipping.

back on topic - i think it's a very nice album, it's not 'dark psy', it's more twisted fast psychedelia. honestly i prefer his other alter ego (with Dylalien) - The Fractal Cowboys, their live set is just fucking unbelievable. album should be coming soon...

595407[/snapback]

ah like that, too bad cuz it totally ruined my trance at the moment :(

• 3 weeks later...

Quasar – One Day

Posted Image

Hi-res cover: front + back

Artist: Quasar (USA)

Title: One Day

Format: CD (jewel case)

Label: Mistress Of Evil Records (USA)

Cat. #: MOE 66604

Distribution: Wirikuta

Date: 15 July 2006

Track listing:

Book 1: The Walk In

01. 00’12” By the Seashore

02. 00’25” Changing Channels

03. 01’17” Tune In

04. 06’17” Mission Control

05. 00’32” “…we have a problem…”

06. 06’40” Plan A

07. 06’17” Plan B

08. 00’44” …at Madame Zoe’s…

Book 2: The Tranceformation

09. 00’36” Transmorphication

10. 06’40” Higher Circuits

11. 06’59” The Glum Leaper

12. 00’54” The News

Book C: The Revival

13. 02’00” Rediscovery

14. 04’59” Disc Recovery

15. 01’02” Area 1-50

16. 06’28” Maximum Overdrive

17. 02’01” U.F.O.B.E.S.P.

18. 06’28” Solid and Clear

19. 01’06” The Eschaton!

.m3u-playlist: http://tinyurl.com/mxygx (all tracks!)

Review:

Conceptual fractals confined within a gazillion ‘bom spankas’ and the steady beat of a drum…

American producer and fractal cowboy Jason Frazier has been an active part of the Bay Area psytrance scene since the early 2000s and prior to this, his debut album, he has released tracks on 10 different compilations… Everything I’ve heard from his hands has excelled in being super-creative and very versatile stuff… Dark and banging, but not overly serious and boring… It’s been just the right mix of everything I like about modern psychedelic trance… So yeah, I was VERY excited when this album was announced by the lovely people over at the M.O.E. label based in San Fransisco. It’s been out since June, so this review is already long overdo… Let’s get to it…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: By the Seashore

#02: Changing Channels

#03: Tune In

The first chapter starts with 3 short snippets of samples, music and what can best be described as psychedelic radio flipping… This must have taken weeks of knob-adjustment, fine tuning and audio wizardry. And it pays off, as this is really, really well put together… Trip-friendly static indeed!

#04: Mission Control

“Imagine spacemen on the moon in the big space suits… But he’s also getting mission control that has the wider picture speaking to him. Way out from that cluster of stars”. The first regular-sized track is this acid-soaked, psychedelic trip that’s jam-packed with spacy samples and hardcore, melodic psytrance morphing both vertically and horizontally… Very eclectic stuff that doesn’t have as much as a single boring nano second… The lush digital percussion is the icing on the LSD-spiked cake… Top class!

#05: “…we have a problem…”

#06: Plan A

After a short interlude (which plays a number on your stereo) we’re drifting deep into the darker realms of Quasar’s (nether)world… The bass is kicking harder now, but the trip is kept interesting by a snowstorm of twirling little melodies, raging noise pads and morphing synth excursions… It’s awesome, but it doesn’t work as well as a separate track as #4 did… It’s still frekkin’ excellent though!

#07: Plan B

“I feel that I am merely an agent. Giving you some keys which has been given to me to pass on to you. These keys are to unlock doors out of your present present. Door opening on new vistas. Doors beyond where you are now!” Charlie got lost on the trip, so it’s time to switch to Plan B. Damn the protocols and put on some more music… And oh my, what a great idea that was… The old trip-meter has been turned up, and this is a true psychedelic venture into the deepest, foulest recesses of Quasar’s mind… That’s all meant as superlatives mind you… Twirling acid-lines, digital farts and electronic burps are all over the place messing with your mind and making you seriously question your sanity! Alien music anno 2006! Stellar!

#08: …at Madame Zoe’s…

#09: Transmorphication

More interlude, bite-size mayhem here, letting you catch your breath before the trip makes a u-turn, and fucks you right up again…

#10: Higher Circuits

“With the higher circuits life gets more and more interesting…” A glum, film noir’esque mood opens this track before it turns into a regular stomp fest of epic proportions… Subtle acid lines and laser beams are flying back and forth, nestling in between the irregular beats and the background bassline… Again, this is very high quality music, but it works better as a transition track than a stand-alone track (which of course was never the intention).

#11: The Glum Leaper

“Again and again and again. In the same kind of looping cycle!” Despite the name, this is anything but glum. This is one of my fav’e tracks with a progression level second to none. It reminds me of some ancient Holy Ghost track with its unique, eclectic progression and trippy nature. The whole concept is just so fucking awesome, that I constantly cream my pants when listening to this… I’m not even gonna bother trying to describe it – words doesn’t do it justice. It’s audio LSD and encapsulates everything I love about psychedelic trance! Pure bliss!

#12: The News

#13: Rediscovery

“Scientist discovered today that all matter is ideas condensed into physical form. Everything is an illusion and we are the shadow of our true selfs.” Clinton is on the news with a top story that sends a friendly not back to Bill Hicks… Funny stuff… A couple of shorter tracks here which pretty much adds up to a full track… We’re still catching our breath with some digital tribalism and some ganja smoking… Transcending time and leading us on the more static…

#14: Disc Recovery

#15: Area 1-50

With some hardcore guitar tweaking, this Quasar’s way of flipping off The Chemical Mafia and friend showing them just how interesting guitars in trance music CAN sound… Tasty radio-flicking and genre bending + a friendly nod to George Lucas’ THX 1138… Oddball stuff for sure, but what it lacks in dancability, it makes up for in trip-friendliness!

#16: Maximum Overdrive

Another aptly named track here – this is tension-building, energy-bursting, propane-injected maximal psytrance packed to the rim with cascading melodies, trippy synth lines and more acid than you’d dreamed off… Pure Bay Area trance with all its perks, quirks, frills and thrills… More full on than anything else here! Awesome!

#17: U.F.O.B.E.S.P.

The next track revolves around UFO’s and Boltzmann’s Equilibrium Spectrum Program… What else did you think it would be about? Whatever the hell it is, it works as a low-key sonic meltdown that lets you sit back and digest things for a short while before the bombardment hits you again…

#18: Solid and Clear

“It’s a makes it sort of nice and solid and clear… I’m solemn… Aloha!” And what a bombardment this is… If the previous full-length track wasn’t hardcore enough, just wait until this bombshell penetrates your ears… Amazingly complex, this track is riddled with interweaved melodies, uplifting synth exploration and flaring acid lines tweaked beyond recognition… Holy smurfs on PCP stomping like crazy!! Solid indeed and extremely unclear! Phew!

#19: The Eschaton!

“There is one ancient Buddha scripture in which he’s asked directly ‘are you a God?’ and he says ‘no’. And the next question is ‘are you a saint?’ and he says ‘no!’. And the next question is ‘well what are you?’ and he says ‘I’m awake!’. ” And before it even began, it’s over... Or just getting started? The loop starts right here… An open invitation to play the album again. And again…

AMAZING album… Really! In caps and all! I’ve had this on heavy rotation since it was released – and it’s still as fresh as the first time I heard it…

To the untrained ear, this might seem like a ‘normal’ concept album comparable in size to, say, Kemic-Al’s The Dark Journal or Artifakt’s Artifakt II, but it’s not… It’s more than that. Sure, it’s divided into books, but there’s not the same level of consistency here… But hey, that’s not a bad thing. Not at all. This is one of the most diverse, eclectic and utterly jaw-dropping albums of 2006.

A truly profound experience that it would be a crime not to try out… Trust me on this one, this album will be benchmarked by other producers, labels and so forth for a long time… I like everything about it. From the subtle artwork, to the progression, flow and direction… Also the production is real fucking sweet, not to mention the (most likely) years of studio time that went into writing all this. That investment really paid of, and this is such a mature album… Top 10 material for sure! Hats, socks and underwear off to the man himself Jason and to Mistress Of Evil Records for putting out such an instant classic!

A no-brainer, absolutely essential purchase for any fan psychedelic trance… Enjoy!

Favourites: 4(!!), 6, 7(!!), 11(!!!), 14, 16(!!), 18(!).

DeathPosture

Posted Image

External links:

Quasar: http://www.quasartrance.com

Mistress Of Evil: http://www.mistressofevil.com

Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/711897

Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/pwbel

Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/qsham

Wirikuta: http://tinyurl.com/p35zk

Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/nz3ha

Juno: http://tinyurl.com/m7b6p

Nice review DP I see u really like this one :P

Have to say I think I agree with u all the way, this is pure masterpiece!!! :rolleyes:

I have had a hard time finding any favorite tracks here, its all just so good in its own right...! But I think my favorite section will be tracks 13-14 this is real brain massage (in the manipulative way!)... and for "single standout" tracks I might go for track 18 (Solid and Clear) made in colab with Mubali and Dylalien, its so packed with pure sonic energy! But really can't pick a real favorite here cus there are so many great elements here to pick from...

But has to say this is the best surprise I have had for a very long time music wise! And if u have'nt listened to yet its about time ;) Enjoy the trip!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, what do you mean by "dry" psy?

I listened to the samples on saikosounds and it didn't sound that catchy to me - lots of sound effects, lots of layers, but all sort of sterile and lacking personality... Don't think I heard any melodies...

Hi there, what do you mean by "dry" psy?

I listened to the samples on saikosounds and it didn't sound that catchy to me - lots of sound effects, lots of layers, but all sort of sterile and lacking personality...  Don't think I heard any melodies...

624814[/snapback]

with dry i mean that it is not too whiiiiiiii and lots of buildups, just nice sounds and a structure which is straight to the point etc.. pretty hard to explain in words.. most full on isn't dry, but wet ;)