03. 08’33” Quietly Screaming

04. 07’12” Days Of The Weak

05. 06’20” Something New

06. 08’20” Different Paths

07. 09’11” Stepping Forward

08. 09’10” Warmth In Other Places

Review:

Double home-run!

Jikkenteki is American born/Japan-based producer Rennis Buchner who has been in the game for many years. He’s a founding member of PAR-2 Productions; he’s a raging music collector; a skilled DJ and a very talented producer of both party up-tempo and downbeat music… My first encounter with the works of this very talented producer was on the 2005 compilation A Walk Through Neptune’s Garden. That compilation and this debut album are both released on his own PAR-2 Productions label… The first release was an overlooked gem which I really, really enjoyed – and I’ve been looking forward to this double album ever since it was released… Let’s take a walk…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

CD1: Revelations And Moments Of Clarity

#01: False Sense Of Security

The album opens with a piece of melancholy, emotionally charged ambient… Well, it’s maybe more downbeat than ambient per se… The little nifty quirks and the echoing melody pieces and the subtle, sharply defined edge gives this track extra appeal… Wallpaper music that sticks with you!

#02: Ambiguity

Here’s another piece of extremely well-produced, well-thought-out, eclectic downbeat… Everything is subtle: The tribal percussion, the floating melodic pads, the dubby groove and the passionate synths… It’s sophisticated, dreamy and totally trippy! I think Rennis coined it completely when he described this track in the booklet… ‘It’s not completely dark, nor is it completely light. It just is’.

#03: An Angel Takes Flight

As most of the tracks here, this track has deep roots in life-changing events in Rennis’ life – and this lengthy tune is evidently a requiem for a close friend who passed away… And what a musical eulogy this is! This is story-telling – journey music if there ever was journey music! I cannot even begin to describe the many moods and the endless numbers of layers here – it’s like an entire album in itself pressed into one track… At first glance some of the melodies are maybe a little simple, but they are all part of something bigger and when they eventually morph into something completely different they’ll give you goose bumps... Trust me! It’s reminiscent of the way Aes Dana composes tracks really – only much, much longer! The weird ‘vocals’ made by a synth is pure, soothing ear candy. Very organic and very emotional! The guitar parts are frekkin awesome with their many surprising twists and turns… Same goes for the other solos with different instruments – all of them mastered to perfection by Jikkenteki… So yeah, all the individual elements kick some serious downbeat ass – and best of all together they form one hell of a majestic, epic, journey track! Hell yeah, this is awesome! Its 27 minutes of pure bliss and sheer talent mass!

#04: Chasing Raindrops

Up next is yet another eulogy track made for another one of Rennis’ friends who passed away… Even darker and deeper than Ambiguity, this is a piece of nocturnal, eerie downbeat… The pads are somewhat haunting and the melancholy toll of the bells is super emotional… You can cut the tension with a knife here – thrilling!

#05: Warmth In Cold Places

Of all the snippets, samples and half-completed tracks I heard before this album was released, Warmth In Cold Places was always the one that impressed me the most… This is an AMAZING piece of music! It’s epic, deep ambient at its best… It’s dubby, soothing and mellow. Kinda old-school too – like the missing track off the legendary Mystery Of The Yeti compilation… Obviously the Shpongle-link is evident, but this is very far from being just another clone – this is highly original, versatile, expanding downbeat music… From the mellow chanting to the dubby vibe and the enchanting melodies… Awesome stuff!

CD2: Moving Forward In The Real World

#01: Temporary Distractions

This track serves as a bridge between the relaxed, downbeat vibe on CD1 and the more up-tempo, danceable vibe on CD2… So basically it starts as chilled musica and eventually transforms into a flaring, pounding trance tune… I find the full-power part of this track the best – it’s so unbelievably powerful and full-on (used as a superlative here…). I mean, just listen from the 10 minute mark and onwards! Wauw! The many twisted little quirks are just the icing on an already very tasty cake… Lovely!

#02: Automagic

This track has a pretty basic pattern of progression… A short beatless intro soon evolves into more head-bop friendly trance with the inclusion of subtle kicks… Nice and suave! What really elevates this track into another dimension is the phat, twirling acid lines that’s included for good measure later on… Rennis’ love for psychedelic dance music really shines thru here, and I’m certain this is a friendly nod back to the great producers of the past… It’s not old-school per se, but the acid lines sure are nostalgic… Nice track!

#03: Quietly Screaming

This track is a burst of rage – and the first track off the album to use a non-standard time signature… The non-linear structure works wonders here, and gives the track the ever-sought-after edge… I mean, those breakz and the flaring synth exploration bits are trippy and the general feel here is equally chaotic and simplistic… And whilst it might not be a stand-out track here, it certainly is unique… Break yoself fooL!

#04: Days Of The Weak

The chaotic, fragmented style continues on the next track which’s title is a FLA’esque play on words… The old-school intro is daring, but it pays off when the track eventually turns into a phat, banging party-choon… Equally melodic and wiggle-your-toe friendly… Again, it’s not a stand-out track, but the quality level is so high on this album, that this is still a very nice tune…

#05: Something New

Once again, Rennis experiments a great deal and seeks new adventures… And this track is definitely the oddball one off the album… It’s written in an odd time structure from front to back – and that does not go unnoticed… Despite the irregular beats and the non-linear structure, the track still possesses a very calm, soothing quality hidden well in behind all the alleged chaos and mayhem… In that regard, this track will please stoners, trippers and aliens alike… Another very unique tune… Check out the huge balls on Rennis! Ha!

#06: Different Paths

Next up is a turn back to more traditional morning trance… But hey, don’t get me wrong, this is still Jikkenteki and his music is anything but generic, so expect a lot of progression, evolution and sonic sound morphing… But in essence, this is still a very uplifting morning tune… Destined to crack a lot of smiles on the dancefloor… It’s fluffy in the non-cheesy fashion! I know I’m rocking out to this sweeeeeeet tune!

#07: Stepping Forward

And if it wasn’t party time before, it sure is now… This is an enormous, hair-splitting piece of 100% pure, unfiltered party music… Full-on? No way, this is fuller-on! Fast-paced, fully focussed, in-your-face, relentless psytrance… Extremely well-produced and both dancefloor and living room friendly… In the immortal words of Beavis; This rocks!

#08: Warmth In Other Places

To end the journey, Rennis has made a tranced-up version of Warmth In Cold Places from CD1… It’s another highly evolving track, which goes from mellow downbeat, to progressive sleekness over morning trance and finally ends up in full-blown party music… The breakdown is particularly well executed – and again I’m amazed by the sheer versatility of Rennis’ production talent! What a sweet tune!

Releasing a double album as your debut, might seem pretty adventurous and indeed brave in these trouble mp3-times, but Jikkenteki pulled it off – this is a VERY fine release! Some of these tracks have been years in the making, and that fact does not go by unnoticed... This is extremely well-produced, highly nurtured, detail rich, multi-flavoured music. Without being over-produced mind you! Both CDs are excellent, but the killaaaargh-factor is slightly higher on the first downbeat CD... I mean, just check out the two longest tracks – they are in a league of their own! Awesome stuff!

The second dancefloor CD also has a high concentration of stand-out tracks... A couple of the more experimental tunes don’t amaze me as much as the rest, but it’s not like they are bad... There is no bad music here at all – on the contrary, the quality level is impressive! And those stand-out tracks are absolutely gorgeous! Top drawer material for sure! It’s also impressive to observe just how wide-spanning those tracks are musically... This is a record store clerk’s nightmare... It’s gonna be impossible to file under a certain sub-genre! But Jikkenteki doesn’t give a fuck about puny details like that... He just wants to share his musical vision with the world... And what a vision that is!

The cover art is pretty nice too – without being overly impressive! The real gem though, is the informative booklet that holds interesting information on all tracks and so on... All in all, a very nice package – and best of all, it’s available directly from the PAR-2 website for only $13 including worldwide shipping! Now that’s the best damn bargain I’ve heard for a while! A safe purchase for fans of eclectic, psychedelic downbeat and versatile, up-tempo psytrance... Enjoy!

Favourites:

CD1: 3(!!), 5(!!)

CD2: 1, 2, 6(!), 7(!!), 8(!)

DeathPosture

Posted Image

External links:

PAR-2 Productions: http://www.par-2.com

Jikkenteki: http://www.myspace.com/par2jikkenteki

Discogs link: http://www.discogs.com/release/706745

Yahoo Shopping: http://tinyurl.com/olbxp

Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/rof3c

Ebay: http://tinyurl.com/s2d6x

This really is a very nice album. Usually it takes a while for me to appreciate good albums but this one hit me straight away. I've only had it a day but I've listened to it quite a few times already.

The downbeat CD is very deep and involved & I expect to discover new levels in this with each listen. Great stuff.

The upbeat CD is great too. Although I don't like anything as much as his Slippery Slopes (absolutely amazing track) from the walk through neptune's garden compilation, each trach is very good and quite different.

Definately one to buy :):):)

• 2 months later...

Jikkenteki's TLWH has been spinning intensive around my house lately. And why the hell not? With its' combination of chill and psy there's something for both downs and ups here, and generally I'm well entertained throughout both disc 1 and disc 2.

The chill-out cd exhilerates in long tracks - Warmth In Cold Places clocks in at 15:31 and An Angel Takes Flight at a dazzling 27 minutes+! I'm a big fan of long, epic tracks and this certainly lives up to those criterias. Angel is not quite able to pull of the stunt, though, with a couple of less interesting periods here & there. And that description overall fits the chill-out cd. Most of the way it maintains my curiosity, but sometimes it drags on a little too long. But this comes down to taste, I guess. Cd 1 is a mood setter and as such succeeds pretty good.

But the psy cd2 is my pick of the two. This has some great psychedelic sections with lots of layers and tons of stuff going on. Nice! I've enjoyed this already at home volume levels with a smile, but it's when the headphones comes on this cd comes to its' right. Hell yeah, there are still releases to please fans of melodic psychedelia.

The VERY reasonable price aside this is a double cd that should please most psy fans. Recommended if not groundbreaking revolutionary.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The more I listen to the album, the more I love it. This is no-expenses-spared lovingly crafted amazing music. I'm going to have to write a review giving this double album the respect it deserves - coming up soon.

647877[/snapback]

I must also find the time to write a review that is worthy of this album.

All I will say for now is that 5 months on it is even better than when I first heard it. I'll get writing!

• 4 weeks later...

Just got this album - am VERY impressed!

The chill CD is just fabulous! Jikkentekki has his own style for sure, hard to describe exactly but it rocks - and it's all just very psychedelic and deep - this music will take you there...

The Trance disc reminds me a little bit of Koxbox circa "Forever After", but not really like that at all either, very cutting edge but yet somehow old-school in terms of the sense of spirit - some of the sections are just wicked - heavy heavy atmospheres - pure psytrance, not the over-polished full-on garbage this scene is saturated with...

I can't believe this double CD was only $9.99! I'd pay more than that for each disc on it's own... This though is clearly music released as art, not as something designed to please anybody...

I is love this album! Why no more comments.

My number one like album this year!

Brilliant psy

psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy psy :):wub:

Posted Image

Artist: Jikkenteki
Title: The Long Walk Home
Label: PAR-2 Productions
Cat. #: PAR002
Date: 20 June 2006

Track listing:

CD1 Revelations And Moments Of Clarity

01. 06’48” False Sense Of Security
02. 12’54” Ambiguity
03. 27’22” An Angel Takes Flight
04. 07’17” Chasing Raindrops
05. 15’31” Warmth In Cold Places

CD2 Moving Forward In The Real World

01. 14’00” Temporary Distractions
02. 08’46” Automagic
05. 06’20” Something New

After listening to Jikkenteki's tracks on the compilation, A Walk Through Neptune's Garden I knew I wanted to check out whatever he was going to release in the future. I knew this album was going to be good but damn, I didn't know it was going to be this good. How good is it? Let me tell you...

CD1 Revelations And Moments Of Clarity

01. False Sense Of Security
A long slow introduction to the album. A long continuous ambient drone, piano, squelchy synths as well as various other melodic sounds are introduced as this slowly builds up the album.

02. Ambiguity
Now we really get going, Follows on from False Sense of Security in that the intro is beatless. Floating, rushing ambient sounds under IDMish bleepy noises for a few minutes before a high hat heavy beat on 5 minutes & we're building a little but it's a slow momentum. The chiming melody is superb. It breaks down for a bit but builds itself backup for a soft finish!

03. An Angel Takes Flight
What a monster of a track! 27 minutes long but it doesn't get boring. It starts slow with another ambient drone in the background some soft slow tribal drums & a little bit of melody. More of a beat comes in as well as slow hard synths as a twisted melody unfolds into something very pleasant. This creates a very nice atmosphere, I feel like I'm floating on top of purple clouds surrounding Mt. Fuji at dawn. The track changes direction through the duration, the melody comes & gets more prominent, then sits back again. The beats drop away then kick in harder then drop away again. But it does all this slowly, it's not in any hurry to get to the destination, it's the journey that counts. I love all 27 minutes of this, it's a beautiful melancholic journey. In the end soft vocals scream from somewhere distant & I just sigh. It's over :(

04. Chasing Raindrops
A darker intro to this track sets another melancholic mood. A very cool disjointed melody pianos it's way over disjointed synths all over a drone like whoosh. It feels like I'm floating in the air until the end when it suddenly starts to feel like I'm slowly falling with the ground rushing up to meet me. You can here raindrops hitting the ground (nice touch)

05. Warmth In Cold Places

What a great track to round off a great chilled journey. Shpongle like vocals (used like shpongle never could) intro with with a soft little melody leading into quite an emotional synth like melody as the beat kicks in. As the beat goes, the melody twists & the vocals seem more intense like the speaker is in pain. All the sounds disappear & you feel as if the tracks about to end. It has an outro feeling. Melody a slow whoosh but then another melody & the beats come back in & oops I think I messed the front of my pants.
When the outro does eventually come it's long and slow, it takes it's time not rushing anything. All the elements slowly disappear until we are left with the song of the cicadas. A very common sound in Japanese summer ;)

CD2 Moving Forward In The Real World

01. Temporary Distractions
This is supposed to be a bridge between the 2 discs & so it feels a lot softer than the other trance tracks with a lot of the elements used on the 1st CD. A soft ambient drone in the background, a chiming melody! The beats are stronger though & when the trance beat actually kicks in it seems so natural & effortless. Fast lazery synths follow as do a load of other sounds creating a nice plodding feel like it's about to explode, which it promptly does on 10 minutes. The beat kicks in harder the synths sound more twisted & the melody more acidic. Fantastic!

02. Automagic
Piano starts, a background wail, a bit of a baseline then beats. Yeah! I'm loving it when the melody comes in (sounds like a recorder) it fits in nicely. Acid really kicks in around 2 minutes & the track goes a bit nuts before it breaks down again, building, building, kicks back in Ooohhhh that's good. Very psychedelic but more controlled and focused! Great!

03. Quietly Screaming
Heavy synths drive this track at an excellent pace. Amazing background atmospheric whoosh. A sublime if a little reserved melody all creates a great mood! I feel like I'm flying again but this time I'm flying at trance speeds. A very nice track that moves this album up a gear.

04. Days Of The Weak
This track moves all over the place, the melody to me seems to shift from side to side & driving synths under a sweeping beat kicks this track forward when I really feel like it wants to derail itself & steam through off road, but it keeps moving forward & it reaches it's destination on Time. Very trancey, very psychedelic, VERY GOOD!

05. Something New
Can be hard to tell it's a new track as it follows Days of the Weak without seem. Something new is quite fresh but still feels like old school goa. Nice melodies, driving synths, trippy & warm it's very nice. Like music used to be but better ;)

06. Different Paths
I like the trippy beats underlying the main beat in this, something I wish was done more nowadays. Different Paths sounds like it's right out of the 90's but with a fresher, more polished feel like Something New! Synths, melodies, beat, background all come together to make a very nice nostalgic sounding track.

07. Stepping Forward
WOW OMG PCG!!! I LOVE :wub: this track!! Best on the album for me. The melody is simply nice but the synth work is unbelievably fantastic, reminiscent of technossomy for me. This track seems the fastest on the album too as if everything has been leading up to these 9 minutes of bliss. Amazingly half way through the synths get even better as they just kick off into hyper spaced JOY! It's hard to describe how good this is! Pants creamingly good everytime :wub:

08. Warmth In Other Places
To end on a high note is a difficult thing to do after the preceding masterpiece but amazingly Jikkenteki manages it with Warmth in Other Places. A slightly slower pace but still kicking! A great little melody played with different sounds along the way. A remix of Warmth in Cold Places it may be but it's so much more & it sounds great in a different style. An excellent way to end what has been an unbelievable journey through sound!

Well Jikkenteki, I would like to thank you for creating this masterpiece of an album. It's not just my favourite release of 2006 but one of my favourite albums of all time! I love every minute of it but some of the tracks take me even higher than the love I felt for the others. How do you do it?
If anyone feels that psytrance nowadays is poor or it has stagnated then you need to give this a listen. It proves that great things are still being done in the scene.
If you haven't got this album then get it I implore you!!!

Favourites

CD1 1, 2!!, 3!, 4!!, 5!!

CD2 1, 2, 3!!, 4!, 5!, 6!!, 7!!!, 8!!

Yes that's every single track :wub:

• 4 weeks later...

The VERY reasonable price aside this is a double cd that should please most psy fans. Recommended if not groundbreaking revolutionary.

I agree with you on the $9.95 price tag I just saw at saikosounds while listening to samples.

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=5872

What I don't understand (or hadn't understood before) is why so few reviews on an album appearing in so many peoples top 5 lists in the "2006 Top 5 best albums" thread. :unsure:

I'm afraid that, not unlike Tripswitch last year, this amazing album will just fade away without anyone giving it a try.

Listen to it! It's great!

I listened to the samples months apart and initially I couldn't see what was so special or good about it.. You have to be in a certain mood to appreciate this, and I'm not trying to be general here. This is an album that seems better and deeper than on first impression. It's mind-candy so to speak lies underneath the coating in a sense.

The second or third time I returned to hear samples my attention was held stronger, and how certain songs made me feel.

CD 1 - Tracks 2 and 5 for starters, both sound very well done, unique.

CD 2 - Tracks 2, 3, 8. (oh yeah... for starters :)) That last track really sounds special. Fuck me if that's not good downtempo goatrance!! I really like that!! :lol::)

This is thoughtful, almost what new-age/ambient may sound like if it was psychedelia/psy and fairly downtempo influenced at times. Sure I don't find every song that good or great based on samples but based on samples I can see why this is unique and worth exploring, checking out, and considering buying.

PS: More albums should be priced like this IMO. They'd sell so many more copies if they'd make the prices just that much more reasonable to so many people who agree that 18-20 dollars for one album is over-priced. This is a double album selling for 9.99 DOLLARS (!!!) last time I checked. That price for a good or great album, especially double album is IMO great, maybe too nice. Obviously they most care about GETTING THE MUSIC OUT THERE!!! This shows me that people will come, praise an artists work, and more time and money will be shared. Word of mouth has the power to do amazing things, especially in todays technology internet time.

I am even more drawn to the album based on these positive things with exception that it's GOOD and I LIKE IT. I'll buy this and add it to my top 10 of 2006 probably even though it'll be too late. :(

I cant get enuf of the last three tracks on the upbeat cd !! This is fantastic stuf to say the least , which grows on you over a period of time. Again i gave this the sleep test last night and i was floating in beautiful atmospheric imagery filled dreamy sounds ... Track 6 Different paths has acquired a special place in my heart .. One of the most outstanding tunes of 2006 .

This has got to be one of the most listened to cds in my collection. Especially the first disc! It's got some of the most beautiful music on it :wub: . For a while there I listened to it every night while drifting off to sleep. The second disc is pretty awsome too. Good Stuff! Keep up the good work! :D

• 1 month later...

Both of the disc´s names have the same name on the back of my cd-case...

Disc 1 - Revelations and moments of clarity

Haha, anyone with the same "problem"?...

Both of the disc´s names have the same name on the back of my cd-case...

Haha, anyone with the same "problem"?...

I think all of them have this!

It's right inside though ;)

• 5 weeks later...

How did I miss replying to this review :blink:

Well I think most is already said, but I can only add that I find this album the best value buy of 2006 (and one of the best releases of 2006)IMO u get a top notch chill CD and top notch trance CD and thats for 10 dollars (roughly), if u don't own this already, be sure to treat yourself with this one! DO the right thing!

I must say it took me some time to get into this one, but that just made it the more satisfying afterwards, great work Jikkenteki! Looking forward to the new one coming from u soon I hope! ;)

• 7 months later...

double post, will use the first on page 3.

JIKKENTEKI - THE LONG WALK HOME

PAR-2 RECORDS

Posted Image

Track list:

CD1: Revelations And Moments Of Clarity

Samples: http://tinyurl.com/om3gg

01. 06’48” False Sense Of Security

02. 12’54” Ambiguity

03. 27’22” An Angel Takes Flight

04. 07’17” Chasing Raindrops

05. 15’31” Warmth In Cold Places

CD2: Moving Forward In The Real World

Samples: http://tinyurl.com/s6rxk

01. 14’00” Temporary Distractions

02. 08’46” Automagic

05. 06’20” Something New

This is a wonderful double album album. The melody work is so infectious and moody at times. Each disc has so much to offer. One is ambient, downtempo, and experimental. The other is Psy-Trance. Both are very creative and catchy throughout. The ambient side has some of the best, most emotive Psy work I've heard for quite some time. Surprisingly, this artist makes some of the most beautiful and danceable Psytrance numbers in his novel style too.

CD1

01. False Sense Of Security is a slow and drifting ambient piece. It's calm and gentle, and a comfortable invitation for the listener to explore the deeper world that awaits. B / B+

02. Ambiguity is far more, well, ambiguous. It's intangible in a sense, yet catchy. The first two minutes begin the development of a beautiful sound and melody. The sounds are capturing and coupled with complimentary, gentle ambient notes upon rising, ethereal ambient notes, and other sounds of addiction. This number intelligentally takes its time to build. It gains aggression, speed, hit-hats, and a treble-esque beat at 5:36. Fresh melodies are added to support the melody structure. It's contemplative and elegant. An infectious melody is added, then another, and another. Some how this song is interesting and involving for the full 12:53 duration. There is even an island of peace, without beat in the final third. Past that the song takes a completely fresh, and refreshing direction. I think this is an excellent song, from beginning to end. It's really beautiful and it may just break ground in the Psy/downtempo genre. A

03. An Angel Takes Flight continues well off the end of the previous enchantment. It's a very slow, progressive track coupled with many sounds and melodies. For the first 5 or 6 minutes it's pretty good but the emotive hook arrests my focus around 6:16. Suddanly the track becomes more catchy. Female hymn's add strength to the floating atmosphere throughout the middle section of the song. There is a very interesting transition around 15:00 that lasts several minutes. It's as if an enormous amount of energy is being conditioned and massaged in some way before release, albeit slowly and carefully. The final eight or so minutes are a combination of at least a dozen or so ideas present before with a stronger beat driving them. I really like how this song builds up. It rewards the openminded listener with a wonderful third act to the journey who is most patient. The beginning just takes some time to pick up. The artist could have split this up into two related tracks around the 14:02 mark but he decided to create an epic world. The result is ambitous in its concept and execution. I have rarely ever (if ever) heard a track this long that is so strong and catchy. A-

04. Chasing Raindrops is an interesting, contemplative ambient piece, the first since the opening track. I think it sounds sad in a beautiful way. Echoed Psy sounds remind me of crickets or aliens communicating, in sound waves (symbolically) from across the astral realms. It's very calm and spacy, although more one dimensional than the previous two tracks. It's still very creative, developing, and original sounding. I like it. B+

05. Warmth In Cold Places begins very atmospheric. The male hymn's are interesting but the musical backdrop seems to transcend them. This is another number (it has become a consistency by now :)) where the various sounds and melodies seem so carefully, tactifully, and creatively placed. This song really breaks out around 4:37 with a great leading melody. Wow it's catchy. There is a several minute island of water without ripples (without beat) for several minutes. This is where the song recaptures itself. Peace. Drifting.. And then something happens at 9:43. One of the most beautiful echoed melodies in downtempo takes place. This fresh sound is brought together with the great, continous melody lead from earlier on in the song! Both of these beautiful melodies dance together as another melody, an infectiously skipping one plays through them. Yet another, more aggressive melody appears to further enhance the sky in this celestial worl. By then the beat and rhythm have become strong and driving. This is a powerful, mysterious, and emotional track. It is one of the best tracks I have heard in the Downtempo genre. Awesome! A

CD2

01. Temporary Distractions begins with similar, [catchy] soundscapes and melodies from the last track on CD1. This feels like a gorgeous continuation. But now we're getting into Psytrance. Around 2:50 begins the beginning of the kick drum. The speed and melody work lift up into this artist's Psy style. I love how the beautiful elements from the downtempo/experimental album have carried over into this song, for starters. From 5:53 to 5:58 releases a boost of strength "effect" into the music. It's catchy! Characteristics like this make the song feel and sound more dynamic. Skipping male hymn's are unleashed around the tracks middle, another smart move. The song becomes more energetic and aggressive as it bursts forward into the final act. I'm impressed how this artist goes from creating such a gentle, yet beautiful album to such a strong and energetic, yet "excercising in beauty" Psytrance album. It's like two different people or two different sides or aspects of the personality. Most artists cannot pull off two great albums back-to-back in the same package. Is it possible that this artist made two great albums for the price of one? A-

02. Automagic begins with strong piano notes coupled with a combination of sounds, some I have never heard anything like before. Around 1:50 begins the bursting, leading melody and another joins its path to strengthen the band soon after. Is this Goatrance or Goa-influenced I asked myself multiple times. It's awesome. An fresh, non-mainstream interlude or transition takes place in the middle of the song. It's interesting, and at this point the tempo changes. The style and tone has suddenly become dark and intense. An entirely fresh sound structure appears to be being built from scratch. This is a great song. Is it possible to let the winning streak continue? A-

03. Quietly Screaming is an oxymoron track title if I ever heard one. Things take some time to build up. The floating transition in the middle is refreshing. It's been a long while since I heard elements so artistic and non-mainstream in Psytrance songs. A rolling "rolling" sound stand out well, comprised with various skipping sound effects. At this point I'd be stuck in between saying good or great. But this artist seems to add just one more creative health pack right when I thought I've heard all the piece had to offer. Towards the end of the song, a strong and animated Goa-esque melody takes the lead. It's great! This song sounds different than the previous songs. Each one has so much character and a healthy range of ideas and they're all very danceable. Great work. B+

04. Days Of The Weak begins pretty good and becomes better as it progresses. By now listeners will become familiar with these positive descriptions. People really appreciate a track that doesn't starts strong and gets getter as it progresses, passing good, into greatness and potentially going beyond our expectations. Although I don't find this the most infectious track on this second CD, it's very well done, whether that be good or great. The skipping sounds are used once again to great effect. B+

05. Something New drops its beat hard into the first second. A gentle echoed melody is carefully placed and gains more emphasis to the tracks progression. This number returns to more of the stylish feel, somewhat infectious melodies I enjoyed in the first three tracks. Although the part from around 4:00 to 4:50 sounds more experimental and unique, it is still creative and catchy. B+

06. Different Paths is very driving, motivating, and inspirational. Now here's a track that makes me feel more upbeat than the previous song. The crashing effect is great. The melodies are sonic bliss. They're wonderful! This reminds me of those old, nostalgic F-Zero game melodies that I couldn't get out of my head. But this sounds nothing like Nintendo-game music. It's the real deal as far as great Psytrance, dance, and production for various types of listening go. The chiming melodies towards the last third sounds very cool. The way this artist creates and combines melodies is naturally infectious at times. Beautiful work! A-

07. Stepping Forward is another strong song. It's more aggressive and crunchy, than the previous several numbers. I really like the Goa/Psy animated melodies in the first third but I care less for the crunchy textures in the second half. I do like crunchy textures at times but I feel as if this number is too loaded with ideas and sounds to the point I can't sink into a certain deep groove or mood. It's as if something raising me up in the beginning third eventually pulls me in other ways and I like being lifted up. This is still a pretty good song. It just came across as a bit overdone to me in execution. Often times this artist makes wonderful fusions with leading melodies. Here something new was attempted between leading melodies evolving into their combination with a more crunchy, psychedelic atmosphere and aggressive ride. I like the ideas and I think some people will love this song. It just doesn't agree with me as much as the others for some reason. I generally prefer the liquid melody-esque feel, emotion, and harder edged (not saying this isn't hard, it is) style of the previous songs. B+

08. Warmth In Other Places is to my surprise a Psytrance version of one of the best songs I've every heard by this very same artist in CD1. Now why won't other artists do this? It's such a bright, eye opening idea. For that matter Simon Postford could go back and make Psytrance songs out of some of the best Shpnogle tracks! Or not. Let's leave Shpongle alone for now. I could not imagine a transition from Ambient/Downtempo masterpiece to carrying over so well into Psytrance but Jikkenteki is the one to pull it off. Awesome streaming leads, skipping sounds, hymns, and various other sounds come together for one of the best Psytrance albums of 2006. It's very creative how the ascending lead melody in the final third is minipulated around 5:25 like an animated, vivacious horse just bouncing to get out of the gate. This is a superb song. A

In Conclusion, The Long Walk Home is a rare double album with strong quality and quantity, the latter referring to both CD's length, lasting appeal, and replay value. I'm impressed with the level of beauty and allure in the first CD. I also find interesting, the attractive combination of aggression and beauty in Disc 2 after hearing the first one. Often times an artist makes his Psytrance album too aggressive or too gentle, but the Psy/Disc 2 has a nice balance. This is an underrated gem and I'd love for this artist to release a super follow up in this style, and like this debut. It's one of the more beautiful, unique, creative, and artistic albums out there. Furthermore, it's one of the best Psy albums I have ever heard in my life. I'm very happy I bought this.

Favorite Tracks

CD1: 2, 3, 4, 5. - [A-]

CD2: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8. - [A-]

A

Samples

• 1 month later...

This is one of my favorite albums of all time.

I recently payed attention to track 5 in the chill side. I haven't recently really noticed it before, but the ambient, mellow, crystallized part in 09:30 is just so amazingly beautiful, I can't take it... it sort of reminds me of the beautiful music that you can hear in the Final Fantasy games, when you are so emotionally invested.. it just plays my heart.

I can't believe that almost a year and a half after first hearing this album, I still find new things in it.

• 10 months later...

This is one of my favorite albums of all time.

This is also one of my favorite albums of all time.

The Psytrance side is great, excellent, awesome.

I love with the ambient, down/mid-tempo album. The music has a sense of passion and heaven to it seldom in downtempo. What I also love is when he crosses over this high Goa/Psy feeling in Psytrance songs like Warmth In Other Places. But the entire Psytrance CD is great.

This is my favorite album from 2006. I feel like I shafted it from my number 1 spot because I heard it late, knew it was great, yet didn't know quite where to place it in my Top 10.

This is one of the greatest albums ever released. How often do I write that?

The artist makes wonderful Downtempo AND Uptempo/Psytrance.

Samples (This album should be available online via Saikosounds and Psyshop again)

• 2 months later...

I have only given this a listen, and am now on my 2nd time through... loving it. Definitely something I would buy, but always being very broke, I recently was able to grab it off of www.ektoplazm.com where it has been released for free, along with Flights of Infinity. Droolingly good psytrance... and typically stuff this heavy isn't even my style...

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, the chill disc is fucking amaaazzing!!!

This is deep journey-ing type stuff - sonic paintings - very psychedelic and very pure - When I listen to this I am so impressed by the creativity and artistry involved here - one person's vision so beautifully expressed...