I am angry

Guest Elysium

Guest Elysium

I am angry. Very angry!

This is my goodbye and my reason why I say goodbye to the psyscene I have been part of the last 13 years as a person on the dance floor, an artist and a DJ.

A scene I had a big passion and love for and used a lot of work and energy in.

I am angry at you the organisers because:

- You treat me with a lot of disrespect. I am not a "super star" so you think it is ok to talk down to me and redicule me when I ask for a gig.

- You expect me to play for free and even at times to pay my own transportation.

- You promise me a gig and after my hard work in the studio making my danceable liveset into a chillout set (because you think 133 - 142 bpm is chillout) you suddently 2 weeks before the gig tell me we never had a deal and give me bad excuses and basically dont give a fuck.

- You step on the small artists and lick the big "star's" asses.

I am angry at you the labels because:

- You tell me to do music your way or get lost.

- You Dont care about my artistic vision as long as you get the next Copy & Paste kilarghhhh.

- You dont bother to promote me properly (or dont know how to)

- You are more concerned about your own DJ career and image than promoting and selling your artists music.

- You rather release quantity over quality.

I am angry at you the audience because:

- You complain and complain but yet at the end of the day you still go to that MTV rave and support that MTV organsiers and the MTV stars weekend after weekend.

- You assume all artists are rich and have no shame when you log in and steal our music.

So yes I am angry and I am checking out. You wont hear this old man's music anymore in the psyscene. Have a good journey.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:huh::blink: what a way for a 'comeback', goodluck with your tranceless future... (i'm heading in the same way though, but i'm not a DJ or producer of anykind hehe)

That's too bad... how true are your generalizations though? Is it every label, organizer, and audience member who are guilty of these things? Do you have the option to work with people that work the way you want?

The other question is - do you expect to make a living from making music you want to make? Or do you simply wish for a reasonable return on your investment of time? i.e. do you have a second job? The reason I ask this is simply because anyone who doesn't fit the industry mold should seriously consider a DIY approach. If label will not release the music you wish to share with people, why not package it professionally and do your own digital release online? If you aren't being promoted well, why not do it yourself, at least in an online context? If I recall right, you are a graphic designer and webmaster, after all.

This all boils down to two things: time, and money. Most artists have this feeling that they do not want to give away their best music, even if no label will ever pay them for it so the public can hear it. Is this true for you?

These are questions - you have a right to any damn opinion you want to hold - just don't interpret it as an attack :ph34r:

Guest Elysium

It was not my "comeback" to psynews so dont worry ;) and No I wont bite the head off you Basilisk :) Your questions are valid but I think you misunderstood me. It got nothing to do with money. I make good money working with Graphic Design. And I am not generalising here. It's an open "letter" to those who feel hit. I do not blame everybody. I never wrote that. Those who feel hit know who they are.

The point of it all is a little word "respect". But if you constantly meet rudeness, arrogance etc. from especially Organisers and labels then it just show me that my time in this scene is over and I rather use my time on something that makes me happy instead of continue to try to make something happen in a scene that do not want me around (as an artist). Now I know for a fact that I am far from the only one that feel this way. I am probably just one of the only ones that speak out loud because I am not afraid to not get gigs anymore or get rejected by a label because i am "too" outspoken.

And yes it might seem like another "drama". Maybe it is but I feel I have earned the right to say how I feel about the scene after 13 years contributing to it.

All the best.

its bad news sure it is , but elysium honestly get a grip man , i still do goa (sorry my expression but thats the way it is) i dont give a fuck to what people want , i respect the people who like goa but i dont give such a shit to such audiences , i had moments like u but i admit i love goa so much that im still doing it whatever means to. i always search for the right people i should deal with and not dealing with such fullon rippers which most of them doesnt know whats goa and 140bpm for them is chillout just like u said.

so.. fuck it man , keep doing things your way and just dont care about the others , you´re the artist , you´re the boss. big hug man.

The point of it all is a little word "respect".  But if you constantly meet rudeness, arrogance etc. from especially Organisers and labels then it just show me that my time in this scene is over and I rather use my time on something that makes me happy instead of continue to try to make something happen in a scene that do not want me around (as an artist). Now I know for a fact that I am far from the only one that feel this way.

556567[/snapback]

Totally valid, but why not just avoid those characters, work with friends, and share music you wish to share with people? I do hear of many tales involving dodgy promoters, and plenty of label guys match the profile you speak of, but it strikes me as fairly easy to not continue working with these sorts. If you wonder about the force that seems to bring up such patterns of behavior in a scene that was supposed to be about peace and respect, I think a large part of this is natural selection... the people that care give up and do other things... I think there are ways to reach an audience, and to be fulfilled as an artist (in the pure sense, not job title sense) without going through any of the common business channels...

I had brought up money because "means of living" is a concern commonly cited by some of the disheartened artists I speak with... which seems to be the main source of resistance to my concept of a professionally presented free online release. Money can be understood as a form of respect - especially when you are dealing with some label A&R in some other country who you have never actually met. Getting paid is a form of appreciation for your work. The artist who doesn't consider getting paid the only valid form of compensation has an incredible potential in today's marketplace. It isn't as if the audience doesn't want to hear your work... it is the bullshit thrown up by the young trance industry that is the main source of problems experienced by you and many other fed-up artists.

As always I put forth the suggestion to work with good people you know, explore online distribution options, and keep a positive spirit where possible...

Thing is, Basilisk, it's very easy to say "just don't work with these people" but often you only find out what sort of person they are when it's too late. Kris and Andy's recent rants have both found resonance in what I've been thinking and feeling of late too... there is such a limited range of music at most festivals and parties that acts which are just slightly different from the mainsream like Voice of Cod - who released what was supposedly one of the better albums of 2005 - have no bookings whatsoever at any parties or festivals outside our own country this year (and only one coming up in the UK) despite repeated promotional mailouts to organisers by our management and personal contacts from ourselves. We spent 18 months on that album; poured our heart and souls into it; sometimes though it feels like it was all for nothing. Why should we bother if people don't want to hear it?

I am angry. Very angry!

This is my goodbye and my reason why I say goodbye to the psyscene I have been part of the last 13 years as a person on the dance floor, an artist and a DJ.

A scene I had a big passion and love for and used a lot of work and energy in.

I am angry at you the organisers because:

- You treat me with a lot of disrespect. I am not a "super star" so you think it is ok to talk down to me and redicule me when I ask for a gig.

- You expect me to play for free and even at times to pay my own transportation.

- You promise me a gig and after my hard work in the studio making my danceable liveset into a chillout set (because you think 133 - 142 bpm is chillout) you suddently 2 weeks before the gig tell me we never had a deal and give me bad excuses and basically dont give a fuck.

- You step on the small artists and lick the big "star's" asses.

I am angry at you the labels because:

- You tell me to do music your way or get lost.

- You Dont care about my artistic vision as long as you get the next Copy & Paste kilarghhhh.

- You dont bother to promote me properly (or dont know how to)

- You are more concerned about your own DJ career and image than promoting and selling your artists music.

- You rather release quantity over quality.

I am angry at you the audience because:

- You complain and complain but yet at the end of the day you still go to that MTV rave and support that MTV organsiers and the MTV stars weekend after weekend.

- You assume all artists are rich and have no shame when you log in and steal our music.

So yes I am angry and I am checking out. You wont hear this old man's music anymore in the psyscene. Have a good journey.

556552[/snapback]

It seems you're not the only one experiencing this crapiness concerning the way of things. This may sound naive but wouldn't it be an idea to unify and perhaps create a label on your own - controlled by the artists. I know that starting a label isn't something you just do but you're probably not the only feeling this way so maybe the prospects are still there..

I think that this is not real Elysium, this account was opened yesterday and Kristian already opened one account few weeks back, so I am sure that this guy is a fraud.

I think that this is not real Elysium, this account was opened yesterday and Kristian already opened one account few weeks back, so I am sure that this guy is a fraud.

556585[/snapback]

Who in the hell would want to do that anyway? It looks geniune to me and it's a believable statement...

Who in the hell would want to do that anyway? It looks geniune to me and it's a believable statement...

556590[/snapback]

I don't know, he seemed pretty chilled few days ago in one of his topics about promoting the new album, it just sounds weird this all of a sudden infantile change...I don't know...ummm, who knows ?

oh hmm.. haven't read that post, but it's a strange world anyway... maybe something went wrong with this new album?

I can recognise his style, this surely doesn't look like his own style... this guy haven't used one smiley and Kristian is always putting any smiley, plus this whole thing sounds too 'puffed up' to be actually real... :rolleyes:

he used smilies at his 2nd post though, maybe it's a universal statement that he also posted elsewhere or mailed to certain people?

Well, the IPs from this Elysium account and the Holm & Andersen account match so...

hi Kris,

Glad to finally hear from you again! Too bad you're feeling kinda down again.

I'd hate to mention this in public but since you don't seem te respond to PM's anymore...

How about those cd's I paid you for, now already nearly 2 months ago?

Should I get "angry, very angry" ? ;)

Fuck the scene. Its fucked already. And not all of us go to those MTV parties.

Start your own label, and keep making your own music. You can give up on the scene, but dont give up on your own music man, thats just shooting yourself in the foot. Some people actually really like your stuff, myself included.

bla bla bla bla bla

The funny thing is that I always see mr. Elysium pointing fingers at other people, with ofcourse the necessary drama, maybe.. you should try to look at yourself and find out if there is any problem within your own behaviour?!

I wonder how long it takes before you're back.. just as you 'promised' not to return to this place haha.

Sure looks like whiney old drama queen Elysium to me.

556603[/snapback]

Yes. I too think it's really him :)

maybe something went wrong with this new album?

556597[/snapback]

that's what I believe ... because it would explain the sudden change from chilliness (as Seraph said) to his anger mood now...

anyway...

I do not blame everybody. I never wrote that. Those who feel hit know who they are.

556567[/snapback]

Yes, you are right, you don't blame everybody. You just blame more or less all organisers, all labels and all the audience of this music.

No, don't say now you don't. You wrote it:

I am angry at you the organisers

I am angry at you the labels

I am angry at you the audience

556552[/snapback]

And this includes all organisers, all labels and all the audience - and that includes me. And that's why I feel I gotta say something about this.

If you would have intended not to blame everybody then you would have written "I AM ANGRY AT THE PART OF THE ORGANISERS WHO..." and vice versa for the other two.

Anyway, I don't wanna rant too much about that now, it's not the purpose of the thread.

Thing is, I can understand you. Yes, the scene is going down the drain (we knew this already a long time ago though). And yes, there are many dodgy organisers, many dodgy labels and indeed also a major part of the audience who just rip artists off by downloading and such. But the point is, if the last people who really care for the scene and release good music because of their inner motivation to do it and not because of the money, if those last people leave the sinking ship ... well, you know what will happen then, don't you? It will even more certainly and even faster go down, down, down ... until we are at the point where a bunch of gabba chavs make the windscreen-wiper for Skazi and you get beaten up, because you looked at one of them.

If I were you I'd found a new label ... and I'd found it for the artists who are as pissed off as you are! I can't do that for you, dude. I have no experience, I don't know any people who are into psytrance except this forum here and I have no money. The only thing I can do is to save some money so that I can buy some stuff you release when I like it :)

Yes, the scene is going down the drain (we knew this already a long time ago though).

Man, I've been hearing people compain that the scene is "going" down the drain since I first got into it nearly 10 years ago.

At what point is it actually down the drain?

There have been dodgy, uncreative, non-risk-taking organizers since the beginning. There have been dishonest labels since the beginning. There have been uncaring, unappreciative fans since the very beginning.

IMO, declaring that the scene is going to the shitter is just a rationalization for somebody who has grown to a place where it does not fit them anymore, and is not willing to admit that the difference probably lies in them, but is still for some reason desperately hanging on to the yesteryears..

This isn't specifically directed at you RTP or to EP - I've just seen this attitude for as long as I've been into goa/psy music from people who have been around it longer than is good for them. IE, jaded old-schoolers.

To EP: If you are looking for responsible & professional organizers and labels, I think it should have become obvious years and years ago that you should look outside of the psy scene. That shouldn't be a shocking realization. If you are looking for an audience full of "responsible" fans who always support the artists and organizers that are doing good, creative work instead of whatever is easy and popular, then you are shit outta luck, no matter what scene you are in. Any scene has "problems" with music downloading. Any scene has a large number of the fans of the sheep mentality, running with whatever is the latest fad or well-marketed/hyped thing.

Seriously man, don't get so negative about things that are blatantly obvious. You make some cool tunes - make the music for yourself, send it to the labels that you feel fit your idea of a good label (musically and ethically). You don't want to deal with labels anymore? Create your own label, release stuff on Beatport and other digital stores.

If you really care about something but are unhappy about it, give yourself maximum 10 minutes to complain about it, then start looking for some sort of solution.

Im also angry. I can feel with Kris, but not at all the labels (which im sure he didnt mean). Ive been in this scene for over 15 years now, and its surely going down the drain.

We need fresh people, fresh thoughts, and fresh labels, and fresh music and fresh girls and fresh boys and fresh drinks and fresh beer and fresh everything. So now I am going to:

1. Start a label (well already regged but need to release).

2. Gonna make some more music.

3. Try to think in new ways.

4. Get a daughter :P

5. I already have a son!

6. Start a brewery (always wanted to have my own beer!)

7. Take over the Coca Cola company!

Does that sound fine? :D

Greetings Kris and all the people that want to change something in this scene :D

Guest Elysium

I'll try to reply in a clear way so I am not misunderstood once again.

First of all. NO I do not blame every single label out there. Some are very good people and work their ass off to make things better. One of those labels are Tribal Vision who I have nothing but huge respect for! In my opinion they are one if not THE most professional label I have met in the scene.

Then there is PKS's label Chill Tribe. That man has such a huge love for music. And he really do a great job. I got nothing but respect for him as well.

And NO I am not blaming every organsier even though the majority of Festival Organisers (NOTICE I WRITE FESTIVAL) I have dealt with within the borders of Europe the last 2 years has been extremely arrogant, disresepectful and highly unprofessional.

There are organsiers I have a huge respect for. One is Claudio at the Natraj Temple in Munich. He is still going strong after 10-12 years and he i always treating his guests with nothing but respect and never break a deal! There are more of course but most of them are outside Europe.

But this was about me stopping as ELYSIUM and leaving the PSYTRANCE scene.

I got no energy or desire to even continue trying to be allowed to even get one gig in this scene.

I never stated that I am giving up making music. Not at all. I am just not going to make music for the psytrance scene anymore.

So yes I will continue making music but just not in the psytrance scene. And yes I do release music digitally on Beatport. Just not as Elysium.

I hope made myself a bit more understood.

Sorry for "returning to psynews". I'll make sure it wont happen again.

All the best to all here.