interesting middle-eastern music

Puck

nice!

been looking for middle eastern stuff accually, found natascha atlas who has a beautifull voice, but apart from the marc eagleton project i found her work to much hip hop influenced.

does anyone one know of some more middle eastern (influenced) music, doesnt have to be electronic hybrid or anything at all

Here is a few:

Toires

Arabic Breakbeats

Christophe Goze (I have only heard one track on Arabian Travels Vol. 2 - "A Six Degrees Collection" which is a great comp.)

Kaya Project has some arabian influenced tracks aswell if not already know...

:)

apparently it's sufi related....

I saw some derwish dancers like a month ago in my town

they just kept on twirling and twirling...while the live band behind them played some cool ethnic tunes...

....really interesting mystic religion....

apparently it's sufi related....

I saw some derwish dancers like a month ago in my town

they just kept on twirling and twirling...while the live band behind them played some cool ethnic tunes...

....really interesting mystic religion....

554808[/snapback]

im very interested by sufism and the dervishes... (quote in my signature is from a sufi).. There is definitely a lot of very deep knowledge to be found there...

I will check the music you posted :)

as for more mid eastern music, in the psy chill area there is angel tears, which are israeli, but they do lots of mid-eastern sounding music.. kaya project, as mentioned.. and some others that I cant remember right now..

but specially check out Omar Faruk Tekbilek .. veeeeeeery good music (not psy chill though, very ´real´ mid eastern sufi music.. actually now that I remember, some of his songs did get remixed into chill tracks, like in VA - Natural Born Chillers )

• Like 1

but specially check out Omar Faruk Tekbilek ..  veeeeeeery good music (not psy chill though, very ´real´ mid eastern sufi music..  actually now that I remember, some of his songs did get remixed into chill tracks, like in VA - Natural Born Chillers )

554871[/snapback]

Ahh that track on Natural born chillers is just amazing!!!! :rolleyes: rmx'ed by Shulman! I played it in a set not long ago, still gives me the chills ;)

im very interested by sufism and the dervishes...  (quote in my signature is from a sufi)..  There is definitely a lot of very deep knowledge to be found there...

I will check the music you posted :)

as for more mid eastern music, in the psy chill area there is angel tears, which are israeli, but they do lots of mid-eastern sounding music.. kaya project, as mentioned.. and some others that I cant remember right now.. 

but specially check out Omar Faruk Tekbilek ..  veeeeeeery good music (not psy chill though, very ´real´ mid eastern sufi music..  actually now that I remember, some of his songs did get remixed into chill tracks, like in VA - Natural Born Chillers )

554871[/snapback]

wow what a nice intro, felt like I was sucked into something....

wow what a nice intro, felt like I was sucked into something....

554930[/snapback]

Midival Punditz

Suns of Arqa

Tantra Lounge Compilations

Arabian Travels Compilations

Most of Karsh Kale's work has a middle eastern feel to it as well. :)

And I agree, Tekbilek made some amazing music!!

www.mercandede.com

Mercan Dede - Su

Mercan Dede - Nar

Mercan Dede - Seyehatname

Mercan Dede - Sufi Dreams

Mercan Dede - Journeys of a Dervish

www.babazula.com

Babazula - Psychebellydance Music

www.burhanocal.com

Burhan Ocal and Pete Namlook - Sultan Osman

Burhan Ocal and Pete Namlook - Sultan Orhan

Burhan Ocal and Pete Namlook - Sultan

These are the first three that comes to my mind from my country. Che4ck them out they re really nice :)

excellent stuff people.

been doing some research of my own, and the sixdegrees label (banco de gaia) has some very nice comps:

the arabian travels (1 &2)

cheb i sabbah (although more eastern then middle eastern)

all electronic, but more "authentic" based then a lot of hte psy chill releases.

and aah yes of course how could i have forgotten toires amazing music :)

www.mercandede.com

Mercan Dede - Su

Mercan Dede - Nar

Mercan Dede - Seyehatname

Mercan Dede - Sufi Dreams

Mercan Dede - Journeys of a Dervish

www.babazula.com

Babazula - Psychebellydance Music

www.burhanocal.com

Burhan Ocal and Pete Namlook - Sultan Osman

Burhan Ocal and Pete Namlook - Sultan Orhan

Burhan Ocal and Pete Namlook - Sultan

These are the first three that comes to my mind from my country. Che4ck them out they re really nice :)

555138[/snapback]

thanks for the recommendations! listening to mercan dede "arkin allen - fusion monster". its excellent, i like it a lot ; )

makyo

554912[/snapback]

absolutely seconded ... Makyo is wonderful middle eastern influenced chillout music :wub:

The dude who mentioned Natacha Atlas (wonderful singer btw) and that she's too hip-hoppish ... I agree with him ... but check out the track Makyo - Natasha ... it has Makyo sound (not that chilled though) and Natachas voice ... very good :)

Muslimgauze too is kinda cool ... it depends, you must be into that sound of his and you must like this experimetialness ... but if you're into that, then it's cool ... this dude was special anyway ... died so young, but kinda foresaw this middle eastern conflict and produced so much music back then so that they still can release new stuff of him nowadays! Incredible...

I really like this thread ... the funny thing is I soon was going to post one myself because I need my middle eastern fix again ... but now I don't need to ... and there are already many artists mentioned that I can check out ... cool B)

I really like this thread ... the funny thing is I soon was going to post one myself because I need my middle eastern fix again ... but now I don't need to ... and there are already many artists mentioned that I can check out ... cool B)

555676[/snapback]

Don't we all ;)

I have tried to bring this to the genral public with a friend and I hope it will start making people appreciate what different cultures and the meeting of cultures has to offer of pleasant experiences! Its was a succes the first time just waiting for our next chance! :)

nice!

been looking for middle eastern stuff accually, found natascha atlas who has a beautifull voice, but apart from the marc eagleton project i found her work to much hip hop influenced.

does anyone one know of some more middle eastern (influenced) music, doesnt have to be electronic hybrid or anything at all

554757[/snapback]

try Ghazal's album Rain if you like middle eastern stuff, this is the master at work :D

• 7 years later...

Sufi music is truly captivating & entrancing! surely not psy in its roots but the emotional use of instruments esp the "Ney" (Nay in Arabic ; reed-flute in English), which sounds like echoing cries of longing joy, deep sadness and ultimate wisdom.

the master of this genre has to be "Omar Faruk Tekbilek", whose Ney improvisations are top-notch!

Finest track IMHO:

Hu Allah

La Ilaha Illa Allah

Yunus

Sultan of the Hearts

Whirling Dervish

Sufi

Song of the Pharaohs

Salute to the Sun

other gems by OFT with an Oriental touch:

Nighttime

Egyptian Dance

I Love You

Magic of the Evening

Why

Common Spirit

Kolaymi

Ghizemli

"I Love You" track made it to one of the Buddha Bar album series.

"Take A Flight" & "Ya Bouy" tracks got remixed too