Progressive Psytrance

cangrejo

Fat (not as in killargh, but as in slow, very juicy, creamy, you can feel it in your entire body) basslines?

Repetetive, in a good way (most of the time anyway), melodies of a few notes that after a while gives you a sensation of standing still in time and... well, not space.

Maybe a little like house, only slower and has psychedelic sounds neatly baked in every once in a while. Maybe another layer with background sounds, some LFO.

Slowly evolving tracks, carrying your mind around on a magic carpet of sound (corny, but true). You just follow the song around as it pleases, but most of the time you won't notice you entered the next part of the song since, most of the time, there are no clear breaks between beats. Hence the word progressive.

And then the final question:

Now Playing: Son Kite - Other Side

Is this progressive?

Now let's see. Did I get this progressive psy thing right?

Is this progressive?

547799[/snapback]

Well, I'd say yes it is.

On Colours there is only one track that's not really progressive IMO and that is Games And Watch. But if you see it from a different perspective it can be proggy too ... it just depends ... progressive psy doesn't always have to be so smooth and all that like you describe. There is progressive that is very groovy and housy and there is progressive that is pounding and trancy and there is progressive that is fast and driving.

You got it right, altough even the progressive scene is already splitting in different parts... The part you are mentioning is the housy-progressive party... Some kind of crossover between house, trance and sometimes electro... Labels in that style are ACDC/Digital Structures, Tribal Vision,...

progressive psy doesn't always have to be so smooth and all that like you describe. There is progressive that is very groovy and housy and there is progressive that is pounding and trancy and there is progressive that is fast and driving.

547824[/snapback]

You got it right, altough even the progressive scene is already splitting in different parts... The part you are mentioning is the housy-progressive party... Some kind of crossover between house, trance and sometimes electro... Labels in that style are ACDC/Digital Structures, Tribal Vision,...

547836[/snapback]

I see... I've always been confused with different subgenres of different genres of music, not only in electronic music, and I'm trying to get things straight. So far I have almost all of my electronic music labeled as psytrance. It started feeling a bit wrong some months ago, but I couldn't really be bothered to make it proper, since there are so many differences between artists, and also between different albums of the same artist, even different tracks.

Anyway, the progressive psytrance scene seems like an evolution in the right (whatever that's supposed to mean) direction.

yes, when ppl talk about progressive psytrance, they talk about what you described..

except in essence, ´progressive´ means innovative, so following that formula which you describe is not really progressive...

and there´s also the fact that there are many unfixed borders.. sometimes ´progressive psytrance´ goes over to progressive house, like beckers, for example... but it´s still more or less ´in the scene´, since most progressive psytrance djs will a few beckers tracks :)

Is this progressive?

547799[/snapback]

I always thought Son Kite was minimal but I'm not sure of the difference between minimal and progressive.

Atmos - Headcleaner

Son Kite - Perspectives of...

S>Range - 2001

Planet BEN - Silver

How would you all classify these? Progressive or Minimal?

How would you all classify these? Progressive or Minimal?

548708[/snapback]

Well ... I'd say minimal is more or less progressive ... at least it's rather a subgenre of progressive than a genre of its own or a subgenre of fullon/goa/dark/whatever...