Robert Rich

Steve Roach

Biosphere

Vir Unis

Pete Namlook

Alio Die

Klaus Schulze

Brian Eno

First of all I chose the names above because I think are very productive, some of them overproductive, and have many years in the scene (except from Vir Unis but he has collaborated with many of the guys above and follows a similar style)..

At first I thought of writing some stuff about each producer and recommended their albums, but what to recommend? I recommend almost EvERYTHING and ANYTHING by them , especially Biosphere, Steve Roach, Robert Rich, Vidna Obmana , Vir Unis...

Vidna Obmana (Dirk Serries) http://www.discogs.com/artist/Vidna+Obmana

My favourite one.."Vidna Obmana" stands for "optical illusion" in serbian language.

I find most of his ambient to be really entrancing, I especially like the albums where he uses a lot of tribal elements. Vidna Obmana plays percussions and digeridoo and these are quite dinstict in a lot of his creations.

His most 'normal' ambient such as THE RIVER OF APPEARNCE can be quite emotional

Recommended:

Passage In Beaty (1991)

Shawdowing In Sorrow (1992)

Echoing Delight (1993)

Ending Mirage (1993)

Parallel Flaming (1993)

The Spiritual Bonding (1994)

The River Of Appearance (1996) (!)

Crossing The Trail (1998) (!)

The Surreal Sanctuary (2000) (!)

Dante's Inferno Trilogy (Tribal/Ambient):

1) Tremor (2001) (!!)

2) Spore (2003) (!!)

3) Legacy (2004) (!)

Gluttony (with Klinik) (2005)

Ken Martin?

Mario Schönwalder?

Not sure ... hard to pick just one.

547350[/snapback]

haven't heard almost anything for them, some mods please add them to the poll :D

true it's hard to choose..

I had to choose between Vidna Obmana, Steve Roach and Robert Rich... unique styles, really hard choice...

Guest Astro Cortex

pete namlook...

well i like a lot of his stuff and he has produced TONS of ambient, a lot of them great,very nice, but some of them i find just descent or slightly uninteresting  :P

547377[/snapback]

Well, I still haven't voted, as I'm also a big fan of Vir Unis.

If we're talking contemporary output, Vir Unis would take the cake, definitely. Pete Namlook deserves my full respect for his flexibility and the sheer variety of his output. He has created some of the greatest ambient albums of all time IMHO. Though he still delivers very good stuff today, I think his best works appeared in the "golden times" of Fax that were the first couple years after the foundation of the label. Vir Unis on the other hand, has a very unique and appealing sound and is, as I said above, my favorite ambient producer of recent years.

Guest Astro Cortex

Either way, your list is clearly not long enough.

What about:

Atom Heart

Tetsu Inoue

Move D

Aphex Twin

HIA

You could have made use of the whole capacity (=50 options) without problems. ;)

Either way, your list is clearly not long enough.

What about:

Atom Heart

Tetsu Inoue

Move D

Aphex Twin

HIA

You could have made use of the whole capacity (=50 options) without problems. ;)

547404[/snapback]

yes i was planning to include those that i was/am going to write a few words about...

well, Aphex Twin has not produced MUCH ambient.. [apart from Ambient Workds Vol 1/2 , what else?]

I also forgot Lustmord... Bill Laswell...and many more :D

the old gods/creators: Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Ashra, Brian Eno (and I guess Vangelis and Jarre a bit... more melodic though)

the king: Steve Roach

other masters:

Michael Stearns

Robert Rich

Pete Namlook

Tetsu Inoue

Vir Unis

Lustmord

etc.

:P

Well all the artists they are very good and each one has his own personal style! I have a lot of music from these artists so i think i have opinion for each one!

More near in my style are "Biosphere" & "Pete Namlook" ! but as i said all the artists are realy good!

Cheers :)

most familiar with geir jensen's biosphere so i picked that. perhaps to be considered less ambient i like the Microgravity album quite a bit. intertwined with memories.

Yeah, good list but surely missing many artists... I like all what are mentioned but have weak spot for Pete Namlook most, then Robert Rich, Brian Lustmord, Steve Roach and Biosphere... I could easily add Plastikman ( Richie Hawtin ) cause he made pretty much ambiental albums with this project. Vir Unis is great but haven't heard that much of his stuff, still have to catch up his opus, Brian Eno, the pioneer of contemporary classical and ambiental music surely deserves to be mentioned. :D

AFX/Aphex Twin (his old sel. ambient works/analogue bubblebath stuff...)

For me Biosphere, it's the only one that manages to make a really alienated atmosphere for me...

If you put on some beatless ambient of Biosphere everything becomes different and you start to loose some sense of reality, it's the only one that manages to do that to me! :)

Ah yes, SOlar Quest's - Orgship does that too, but it's not really an alienated atmosphere but a very warm atmosphere, like in a mothers womb...

His most 'normal' ambient such as THE RIVER OF APPEARNCE can be quite emotional

547343[/snapback]

that one is exceptional, every track is a little mastperpiece... I love the melanchony (especially the last track) and the harmonic patterns underneath..

but I don't like much of the other stuff I've heard from him, I find it too dissonant and chaotic... or maybe I just don't dig it yet

It's hard to pick just one favourite. Those mentioned in the poll are all good, but in recent years I've really been enjoying Thom Brennan and Off The Sky. Brennan produces some of the most dreamy and airy ambient you'll ever find. Off The Sky's later albums are glitchy (and equally superb), but Cold Distances is a tour de force in "biosphere'esque" icy drones.