Turning people to trance

no-nonsense

After being exposed to Cosmosis' "Akashic" in a car trip, a friend of mine asked me to compile some trance for her. As I had no time to try a decent software mix, I've had to set with an unmixed compilation. Picked up some tracks from some of my favorite albums in the genre, and separated them in three discs, roughly associated by subgenre. This is what I've come up with:

The first of them is the most Goa-ish of the three:

1. Shpongle - The Sixth Revelation

2. Cosmosis - Gift Of The Gods

3. Shakta - The Future Is Now

4. Transwave - Sonica Dream

5. The Infinity Project - Stimuli

6. Chakra & Avi - Insignificant Form Of Life

7. Prana - Moretsu(indigo and baraka mix)

8. Khetzal - Indian Attic

9. P.S.O.I - Evolution of the Merkaba

Progressive sounds are introduced in the second one:

1. Human Blue - Carpe Diem

2. Antix - The Inkling

3. Phony Orphants - Horny Enphants

4. Beat Bizarre - Analogical

5. Planet Ben - Space.Com

6. Electric Universe - Stardiver

7. Juno Reactor - Rotorblade

8. Atmos - Qualitat Im Quadrat

9. Aes Dana - Aftermath #8

The last one is also dominated by the old-school psy sound, just not as blatantly Indian-sounding as the first one.

1. Asura - Simply Blue

2. MWNN - Floor-Essence (Dayglo Mix)

3. Slinky Nuns - Shitty Stick (Better Than A Poke In The Eye With A)

4. X.I.S. - Shadows And Flashes

5. Total Eclipse - The Furnace

6. AHS - Puke In The Dust

7. UX - Pure Intellect

8. Astral Projection - The Feelings

9. Astralasia - The Truth

The albums are sandwiched with chill tracks to make them a bit more easy on the ear.

Have you ever succeeded in getting someone interested in trance with a home-made compilation?

1.  Shpongle - The Sixth Revelation

5.  Planet Ben - Space.Com

6.  Electric Universe - Stardiver

7.  Juno Reactor - Rotorblade

The last one is also dominated by the old-school psy sound, just not as blatantly Indian-sounding as the first one.

1.  Asura - Simply Blue

9.  Astralasia - The Truth

545263[/snapback]

Shpongle is not much of goa trance, Planet BEN, Electric Universe, Juno Reactor, progressive ? :huh:

Last two are not much of old school psy sound... sorry for nitpicking, but I am stating the facts... ;):P

Shpongle is not much of goa trance, Planet BEN, Electric Universe, Juno Reactor, progressive ?  :huh: 

Last two are not much of old school psy sound... sorry for nitpicking, but I am stating the facts... ;)

Well, the chilled Shpongle, Asura and Astralasia are meant as intro/outro, to slowly get things moving at the start and to leave in a gentle way before listening to something else. I don't know if the friend of mine who is supposed to listen to this would handle a 74-minute continuous stomp.

As I said, the genre separation is a bit rough because there were some tracks I like (such as Stardiver and Rotorblade) and I had no other place for them. The minimal techy sound of the Planet Ben, and the way it builds up, fits well in the progressive disc IMO.

Thanks for your feedback :)

Have you ever succeeded in getting someone interested in trance with a home-made compilation?

545263[/snapback]

No, but can't say I haven't tried. I think I've put together about 5 or 6 full psy compilations for people, and the result has been less than stellar. I find by mixing a psy track or two within general electronic tracks works much better. Had a guy who was a full-fledged indie punker like a Ka-Sol track once. We went as far as secretly stealing and recording the compilation it was on that I'd made for another person, and he was disappointed that it didn't have more of the same (it ran a whole gammut from classical to trance). Can't blame him. :)

why would i want to turn my friends or other people to trance anyway?... if they want to listen to whatever they want then they must do so...

why would i want to turn my friends or other people to trance anyway?... if they want to listen to whatever they want then they must do so...

546123[/snapback]

Agree.

546123[/snapback]

well i was more thinking about giving them a try, not converting then whatever it costs but just to show show them, and its still worthless imo, unless,again, its some female :P - then who knows,. but conversion - there i agree, everyone can listen to whatever he/she wants to :)

546123[/snapback]

It's not about forcing people. It's about sharing, and perhaps there are people out there who would find it as interesting as you and I, but don't know it yet. Plus, it's fun, in my opinion, to have at least some similar musical taste with friends. And yes, girlfriends too.

well i was more thinking about giving them a try, not converting then whatever it costs but just to show show them, and its still worthless imo, unless,again, its some female :P - then who knows,. but conversion - there i agree, everyone can listen to whatever he/she wants to :)

546128[/snapback]

Taste differs, and that's a positive thing in my opinion... It's always great to debate about genre's and why one does or doesn't like it... Man, personal taste is hard to change... IF it is easy to change then they are just people who go with the hype/flow, pretend that they like it but don't really do so... hm... i also notice alot of people at psytrance parties who don't have a clue about artists or subgerne's... they just go with the 'hype'... Example: if you play them a skazi tune and ask if they like it they will, but also if you play some sick osom or derango tune they say they'll like it... (or in even worse cases that it "ROCKS" and that it's "GREAT" , without actually noticing any difference... or even trying to dig within the whole genre..) Needless to say that this occurs mostly at women/girls...

bump... well?

bump... well?

546506[/snapback]

well

some people havent ever heard of proper psychedelic goa or dark psy or IDM / ambient / whatever so it wouldnt be that bad trying to introduce them to these genres, of course not forcing them to do so, just providing them with new genres.

It's not about forcing people. It's about sharing, and perhaps there are people out there who would find it as interesting as you and I, but don't know it yet. Plus, it's fun, in my opinion, to have at least some similar musical taste with friends. And yes, girlfriends too.

546129[/snapback]

Exactly. It's about introducing folk to music and letting them reach their own conclusions. I discovered many of my favourite artists when friends/family played me their songs and albums. I think it's a lovely gesture introducing music to someone.

Exactly. It's about introducing folk to music and letting them reach their own conclusions. I discovered many of my favourite artists when friends/family played me their songs and albums. I think it's a lovely gesture introducing music to someone.

546536[/snapback]

Man, I wish someone had introduced me to what goa is about much earlier. I was scraping through all sorts of electronic genres before I found out that what I really liked was called goa.

Don't know if I convinced my nephew to follow me to the dark side, but played some filteria for him and he was like .... woow, this rocks. He was crazy about an Astrix track too.

I need to get my girlfriend into goa.  :blink:

Any suggestions?

546700[/snapback]

I wish I could help but I've never been successful in getting anyone into goa, yet alone a female.

After being exposed to Cosmosis' "Akashic" in a car trip, a friend of mine asked me to compile some trance for her. As I had no time to try a decent software mix, I've had to set with an unmixed compilation. Picked up some tracks from some of my favorite albums in the genre, and separated them in three discs, roughly associated by subgenre. This is what I've come up with:

1.  Shpongle - The Sixth Revelation

2.  Cosmosis -  Gift Of The Gods

3.  Shakta - The Future Is Now

4.  Transwave - Sonica Dream

5.  The Infinity Project - Stimuli

6.  Chakra & Avi - Insignificant Form Of Life

7.  Prana - Moretsu(indigo and baraka mix)

8.  Khetzal - Indian Attic

9.  P.S.O.I - Evolution of the Merkaba

1.  Human Blue - Carpe Diem

2.  Antix - The Inkling

3.  Phony Orphants - Horny Enphants

4.  Beat Bizarre - Analogical

5.  Planet Ben - Space.Com

6.  Electric Universe - Stardiver

7.  Juno Reactor - Rotorblade

8.  Atmos - Qualitat Im Quadrat

9.  Aes Dana - Aftermath #8

1.  Asura - Simply Blue

2.  MWNN - Floor-Essence (Dayglo Mix)

3.  Slinky Nuns - Shitty Stick (Better Than A Poke In The Eye With A)

4.  X.I.S. - Shadows And Flashes

5.  Total Eclipse - The Furnace

6.  AHS - Puke In The Dust

7.  UX - Pure Intellect

8.  Astral Projection - The Feelings

9.  Astralasia - The Truth

The albums are sandwiched with chill tracks to make them a bit more easy on the ear.

545263[/snapback]

Please stop wasting your time.

She will hardly feel it as a real desire anyway.

This cannot be promoted easily, its not a cup for everyone.

Ive pretty given up any if there were attempts to bring it to anyone.

It shall be explored only by the wise ones.

Poser fondness of this music is hardly wished.

what kind of music is she currently listening to?

Put here some emotional melodic stuff first, e.g California Sunshine - Last Feeling

546910[/snapback]

She likes mostly boring pop music. I'll carry on trying but as Deepdrone says: trance aint for everyone.

Even at Entropy and PPS Project ? Hey, she must be pretty thick-skinned :mellow:

546931[/snapback]

I have not tested those two artists, but mostly she is pretty relaxed about it. Except if she is sick or has a headache.