abasio

Posted Image

Various Artists

Title : Raja Ram presents Evolution of Expanded Consciousness

Label : TipWorld

Released : May 2006

Tracklisting:

1 Cyberbabas - Vine Of Souls (9:08)

2 Eat Static - Ancient Teachers Of Mankind (10:49)

3 1200 Micrograms - Dances Between Worlds (10:53)

4 Hujaboy - Voyages Into The Supernatural (10:17)

5 Bullet Proof - The Serpent And The Healer (11:15)

6 G.M.S - Flesh Of The Gods (9:42)

I bought God Save the Machine a while ago & I was initially thrilled. It was such a step forward for TipWorld. But after a few listens I realised my initial delight was only because recent TIP efforts have been kind of crappy. God Save the Machine was in fact a very average album that got boring rather quickly.

So I went right out and bought this Comp. I had to see if they were continuing to go forward or not.

Let me tell you, I am more impressed with this collection of tracks than the last effort.

See

1. Cyberbabas - Vine Of Souls

The 1st track starts with some slow tribal drums and pipes, already sounds very atmospheric but this is ruined by a drug sample talking about how the tribes discovered intoxicating substances yak yak yak! I have horrible flash backs to good music like Nystagmus which was ruined by an overuse of stupid drug samples that made repeat listens annoying. Thankfully this one is not an integral part of the track and only lasts a few seconds (sigh of relief)

Around 4 Minutes the beat kicks in. It's a good pace not to fast and the sub beats are nice and trippy. Lots of miscellaneous noises in the background give this track a sort of random feel for a while but it sorts itself out into a cohesive tune. A good start. But nothing special.

2. Eat Static - Ancient Teachers Of Mankind

I've always loved Eat Static and I was a little disappointed by their effort on GSTM. This one though feels more like a real track, one with time and effort put into it. Starts of with a very powerful slow tribal beat but after a minute or so kicks into a more Eat Static (circa Abduction) style beats. Nice. Short vocal samples are used as a transition to kick the track into a more full on (not in the negative sense) beat. As is usual with Eat Static, there is a lot of spacey sci fi sounds used and they're sued well. Decent use of synths and sound effects (especially around the 8 minute mark) make this a very enjoyable track. It progressed well and it's worth it's length but for all the progression it never really builds to any kind of climax.

3. 1200 Micrograms - Dances Between Worlds

1200 Micrograms! Not the 1st name I want to see on a compilation but for me this is definately their finest work. No cheesy theme to make it boring after the 1st listen.

A nice slow intro, flutes, a funky beat and clicky sub beats are all really cool. You can feel the intro build and then ELECTRIC GUITARS! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Hang on. Wait a minute! WOW they are actually used really well. Used to sound like cool synths. Every time they are used it's a short rift repeated and hasn't gotten annoying yet. The beat stays slow up until around 4 and a half minutes then it kicks off. Real synths this time add the acceleration and more electric guitars. Much faster now and still used well in overdrive. The evolution of this is really great and for all it's stopping and starting it really seems to be building to something. Loads of energy by the time it realises it's had enough and comes down nicely at the end. (Slightly ruined at the end by an annoying high pitch voice)

4. Hujaboy - Voyages Into The Supernatural

Following a theme, the intro is again very tribal. Tribal beats and voices. Jungle (the place not the genre) sounds around it. The beat just kicks in with this one and it's a very flat plodding beat. Not really sure what is trying to happen for a while but it slowly gets a little more intricate, Slowly. Quite a boring track. Nothing really happens and while you can tell he's tried his best, he's obviously just not a very imaginative little fellow. Finally around 8 or 9 minutes it gets very random and it's the best part of the track. Picks up a bit more energy but it's not enough. Filler!

5. Bullet Proof - The Serpent And The Healer

A very soft intro with a very dark voice talking about a tribute to friends. Sounds a lot less tribal than the preceding tracks. More spacey and atmospheric. Some very techy sounds. The beat suddenly drops around 4 minutes and it has a rolling baseline which doesn't sound great but doesn't detract from the track. The baseline actually evolves quite nicely and fits around the track well. Lots of drum rolls. Stopping and starting. Nice atmosphere when the beat stops and loads of energy when it's going.

6. G.M.S - Flesh Of The Gods

We finish off with a track by G.M.S. A very middle eastern vibe in the intro with a nice light melody on the top. The beat builds in and drops before 2 minutes. A nice slower baseline is used and the it evolves into a more variable one that it really adds a lot to the track. There are a lot of good beats used here in between the more fullon beats that are mainly used. It changes pace quite a lot with lots of slowing down then speeding back up. The beats used in the slower parts are very nice and I would have liked to have heard more of them in the track in place of the fullon beats.

So to sum this album up. It's no 13 Crystal Skulls but it is a good TIP conceptual compilation. There are lots of tribal elements especially in the intros. The 1st half of the album for me is top class. I really like all of the first 3 tracks. The Hujaboy track is boring and I hope he wont be used again if they continue the series (It says volume 1 on the CD case so I assume they will try and make more in this style). The last 2 tracks might seem a little to fullonish for everyone's taste but they are good examples of fullon.

As I said I'm much more impressed by this release than God Save the Machine. Lets hope that TIP continues to improve, then they might release something that'll be destined to be classic. This isn't it but it's another step in the right direction.

Favourites #2 #3

only 6 tracks?

543826[/snapback]

1 Cyberbabas - Vine Of Souls  (9:08)

2 Eat Static - Ancient Teachers Of Mankind  (10:49)

3 1200 Micrograms - Dances Between Worlds  (10:53)

4 Hujaboy - Voyages Into The Supernatural  (10:17)

5 Bullet Proof - The Serpent And The Healer  (11:15)

6 G.M.S - Flesh Of The Gods  (9:42)

543823[/snapback]

^ 6 lenghty tracks!

As I said I'm much more impressed by this release than God Save the Machine. Lets hope that TIP continues to improve, then they might release something that'll be destined to be classic. This isn't it but it's another step in the right direction.

Exactly how I feel :)

• 5 weeks later...

to my surprise, I loved this album, a lot.

is this the same 1200 mics from the "the time machine"? I dont think so. dances between worlds is one of their finest works.

same thing goes for gms. this is quite good, and not reminding EBS at all.

hujaboy and eat static also did a great job.

go tip world

BEAUTIFUL album!!! Now THOSE are melodies! No full-on kiddie nonsense, this is a pure spiritual bliss. OK, so it's less downtempo oriented than the 13 Skulls series but that's not necessarily a bad thing. 9,5/10 from me :)

I'd definatley consider this an 2006 classic (and a million times better than the much over-hyped God Save the Machine)

• 3 months later...

I really think that this hasn't got as much attention as it deserves. I know a lot of people are going to be putoff by the full on baseline in some tracks but all in all this is a quality release. I have actually listened to it many number of times :D

I really think that this hasn't got as much attention as it deserves. I know a lot of people are going to be putoff by the full on baseline in some tracks but all in all this is a quality release. I have actually listened to it many number of times  :D

629673[/snapback]

I agree :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 15 years later...