03. 06’09” Radioshake

04. 05’40” Incsoc

05. 06’10” Lab-O-Matic

06. 06’10” Chronick Candy

07. 07’04” Class-X

08. 06’49” Cap Zion

09. 07’06” Jibjab

10. 07’12” Manic Miner Edit

.m3u-playlist: http://tinyurl.com/p5s4x (all tracks!)

Review:

Vamos a la playa!

Israeli producer Nick Laniado is out with his second album, following the seemingly very popular Rocket Pocket released by Phonokol in 2003. I haven’t heard that album, but I’ve heard and enjoyed Nick’s input on the 2001 Psysex album Hardcore Blastoff… To put it lightly, I’m not a fan of the endless stream of generic full-on coming out of Israel – but luckily there’s still good full-on being produced. Tron’s smashing debut album Existence released by Liquid Records in early 2006 is a good example of brilliantly eclectic full-on being created in other parts of the world. Truth being, I have limited knowledge into the somewhat extensive Neurobiotic back-catalogue, but from what I’ve understood it’s among the better full-on labels… Let’s find out if this release can verify that…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Menace To Society

The intro is very cool and suspenseful – unfortunately most parts of the actual track are way too predictable and generic for my taste… And I’m not too pleased with the Infected Mushroom-like twirling synth lines either… Yikes, this is not too good a start… Sure, the bridge part has some interesting tweaks, but generally I’m not too impressed…

#02: Blind Sensations

“Video link-up requested!” After the somewhat shaky start, the next track is better… Sure, the bassline is still pretty bland, but the accompanying FX has more staying power and more ‘bite’… There’s an underlying groove here which I really like – and this track will work wonders on both the dance floors and in the living rooms – with the thrilling break-down part being the leading catalyst for just that… Pretty tasty tune!

#03: Radioshake

The next track seems to raise the bar another couple of notches… The pace has quickened and the basslines seems to have seen a little more consideration… The eerie, filtered voice-samples are sweet and the hands-in-the-air summer-festy touch is definitely present here with the massive punch of the ‘climax’ following the break… Maybe even too much, I don’t know… It’s good, but not great you know…

#04: Incsoc

Well, this track is another IM-clone… It may be VERY well-produced and I’m sure it will work absolute wonders on the floor, but it’s still a clone of something I’ve heard before… And don’t even get me started on the bassline… *Yawn*

#05: Lab-O-Matic

“That runner's smarter than we've seen so far! It's quite a catch. Thanks. Do you think it will convert? To convert is its choice to make!” Luckily the title track is much more interesting… The spacy, high-pitched melodies are both deranged and trippy – and the underlying rhythm section is nothing short of phat… A lovely piece of well-crafted full-on that will definitely turn some heads and move some feet!

#06: Chronick Candy

“Like undulant swirling smoke!” This track has some of the same spacey elements that made the previous track so great – and it has a very appealing, almost marching rhythm that I really like… It’s totally trance-inducing and will work absolute wonders on the floor… Sadly it also has some cheesy bits, especially towards the end of the track… They prevent me from hyping this track totally – but it’s still pretty neat…

#07: Class-X

“Irrational impulses!” Next up is another pretty predictable track – after the brief intro and the first stroke of the bassline and the first cord of the melody you’ve basically heard the entire track… Cheese-fest!

#08: Cap Zion

This one is better – without being great… But the intensity level has been raised again and this is sheer burst of energy… Definitely something that will go down well on a sunny dancefloor at the summer festivals… It’s fast-paced, in-your-face sunny funny frolics! Pretty tasty – but somehow it lacks the X-factor that would have elevated it into the awesome category…

#09: Jibjab

It’s pretty much becoming a rule of thumb now, but here’s another not-so-great track… Sure it has interesting parts, but as a whole this just doesn’t *do* enough for me… Style wise this sways away from dancefloor minded full-on into more epic, melodic trance with hints of psy… Sadly it’s a turn for the worse, and as mentioned above this doesn’t really rock my boat…

#10: Manic Miner Edit

“Please stand back from the automated door and wait for the security officer to verify your identity. Before exiting the train, be sure to check your area for personal belongings. Thank you and have a very safe and productive day!” This is a ‘bonus track’ – and it was previously released on the 2005 Neurobiotic compilation Sonica under Laniado’s real first name Nick… And what a track this is! This is highly focussed, action-packed, smile-cracking full-on… Twirling, old-school melodies and dancefloor orientated basslines that makes it hard not to get sucked in… A great, powerful track!

Alright, what we have here is an album with half the tracks being cheesy and predictable – and the other half being pretty good… That ratio is not good enough! Obviously I would have preferred an album packed to the rim with one ‘killargh’ after the other… That’s not the case here, and that’s really a shame! So, this is not the best full-on album I’ve heard in 2005 – but on the other hand it’s not the worst either… Far from it!

It’s no secret, that I am not a fan of boring, predictable, formulated, iconic Israeli neo full-on – and it’s been quite a while since I had a pleasant experience with a full-on CD made in Israel. Luckily Panick isn’t a total loss – coz as my indication of fav’e tracks below shows, there are indeed some great stuff to be found here… I just wish they weren’t so scarce! Also I wish the good tracks were longer. But let me also stress, that as a full-on album this is MILES ABOVE most of the generic, formulaic crap coming out of Israel nowadays… I’ll take this over Vibe Tribe, Dali or… Infected Mushroom (!) ANY day! Full-on fans will dig this – purists should sample it carefully before making the purchase… Either way – enjoy!

Favourites: 2, 5(!), 6, 10(!)

DeathPosture

Posted Image

External links:

Neurobiotic Records: http://www.neurobiotic.com

Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/692531

Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/mvtue

Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/qgkez

Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/l7u9r

Chaos: http://tinyurl.com/opkqv

Cisco: http://tinyurl.com/qhwjx

Juno: http://tinyurl.com/nteuu

Play: http://tinyurl.com/nesgd

Cheesy!?! I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on that one DP :)

In terms of production this is a big improvement compared to "Rocket Pocket", but sadly it isn't quite as musically interesting. It seems like he didn't have as many tricks up his sleave this time, but generally this is one of the best Israeli full on albums to come out in a while. Alongside Hujaboy.

Cheesy!?! I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on that one DP :)

In terms of production this is a big improvement compared to "Rocket Pocket", but sadly it isn't quite as musically interesting. It seems like he didn't have as many tricks up his sleave this time, but generally this is one of the best Israeli full on albums to come out in a while. Alongside Hujaboy.

543599[/snapback]

Gotta agree with Profski on the cheese factor - i dont think the word Cheese appears in Panick's Lexicon these days.

i also agree the album can be abit "cold" sometimes,but i really think this is a great refreshment after a very straight and boring line,to which the israely fullon is going in the past few years.

Panick brings a different,more "robotic" or synthetic approach to the tunes,and at times his leads remind me of the old sandman riffs.His production is flawless - sharp and crunchy,strong and driving.

Even if the level of the album is not equal throughout,as the boyz said above - This is the best israely Fullon Export in quite a while.

:rolleyes:

There are a couple good tracks, but most of them are just boring to me. To make things worse, a couple are downright cheesy, as DP said. There just isn't anything interesting on this album IMO, seems like i've heard everything here before.

Generic, boring psy. Just my 2cents

Nothing groundbreaking appears, but it's a capable survey of higher-calibre Israeli output.

You might be miffed if you bought this AND a few other Israeli releases lately, otherwise it could fit well as filler/stretcher for your sets.

Where it gets going, it has some nicely crunchy Infected-Mushroom-inspired tops over a solid chuggy baseline.

7/10 from me.

• 3 months later...

Good stuff .. at home it sounds huge .. the sounds are massive !! i can imagine it working wonders on the dancefloor .. the only downside as ace ventura said was it slightly robotic and not suited for everyday listening .. production wise its almost hits the point !! 7.5/10

• 2 months later...

There are a couple good tracks, but most of them are just boring to me. To make things worse, a couple are downright cheesy, as DP said. There just isn't anything interesting on this album IMO, seems like i've heard everything here before.

Generic, boring psy. Just my 2cents

This album is how all full on should sound coming out nowadays. When I listen to this I cant help but move. Great production, with good rythem, techy sounds, and tight bass lines that just keep you going. This album stays very interesting. Every time i listen to it, it just gets better and better. If I were to introduce someone new to psytrance this is the album I would play for them first. A futuristic, full power album. 9/10

• 10 months later...