Shaft

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent chill album,

Fav:

Midnight eyes - lovely chill song, 10!!!

Golden Cap - unexpected and well respected, - I like the idea and execution of the old folk song.

Zero Plus - great dance song, haven't listened to anything similar

The solution machine - Great Journey!!! dark, bassy, a story and trippy 10!!!

9.3/10

Some very good songs coupled with some very boring (and not good choices) ones. I truly feel bored while listening to some songs. Other songs however feel fresh and innovative. Overall, I feel like I've heard this before by them and done better. However, few songs by them here are better than many of their previous ones too. They always seem to return with a better song after a disappointment, but why not just keep the whole album great? Consistent reviews suggest what best works and doesn't. Maybe some people disagree with some things I say. Regardless, I have been listening to Entheogenic for over 5 years. I own their other albums and respect them and anyone interested in their music enough to write this.

TRACK 1, Midnight Eyes is fairly good until an annoying, repeating elevator-tune arrives...the track dips until this sound leaves. The song improves again and sounds better with the gental guitar sound towards the last third. I generally like when gentle, female voices occasionally echo throughout floating, chill, new age music. I like the guitar or violen sound coupled with more or different notes of ambience for deeper effect.

Track 2, Sideways gets annoying with that altered childs and the guys voices. The same going for one or two other tracks with this type of foreign singing, as if an indian is saying prayers over the a fire. Oh, and then that twisting, twisty, squeechy sound is irritating. I don't care for most of the ideas musically in this song, where a man's voice carries throughout. Very repetitive and that screetchy sound was a bad idea IMHO. It takes me completely out of the song because it's so piercingly annoying, and continuous. It's distracting!!

Track 3, Golden Cap is good. There is more kick, no irritating mans voice chanting or whatever he was doing in track 2, and the melodies are not that gripping, but they're definitely nice. The song has a good feel to it. More songs like this would be very cool.

Track 4, Zero Plus I find decent. It's average to me until the music drops some layers and brings back the beats, where it gradually improves with different melodies and the ethereal sounds/hums are a very nice touch. The voice sample is cool too and when the harder beat kicks in soon after that voice sample of "having a dream..." that's is good. It's catchy and I like when they lift off the track, making it more animated and fun to listen to.

Track 5, Kashmir Day Trip I don't care for that guys voices again, but the parts when the harder beat and moody ambience kicks in works very well. It's to bad as soon as it seems to go somewhere...it tunes out and returns back to less layers of sounds. It wouid have been nice to see this track lift off several times (as I feel it does) and then really, REALLY blast off and be a great one, but they're choice of adding the beat on and off limit this song from achieving such heights. I wish that harder beat stayed on throughout the second half and they kept adding more layers, ambience, echoe's, voices, etc...until you're sorrounded by beautiful waves of sound and enchantment with a good beat to ride the wave on.

Track 6, The Solution Machine on the other hand does not disappoint me. This is arguably the best song on the album. It's darker in tone, moody, interesting... definitely different from what I'm used to hearing from Entheogenic. The melody notes throughout the first half especially sound very good until the song evolves. It keeps a cool beat and pace througout. I'd love to see more provocative pieces from Entheogenic like this one. That would be great.

Track 7, Absphinx continues with those same voices I wished would be gone by now from the superior Solution Machine before it. I can't make out the gnarls and strange, angry yelling sounds reason for being here. They seem out of place and musically not attractive to me. At this point I wish Entheogenic created another moody piece like the previous song to follow-up that more mature style as opposed to this one. I really don't care for this song in general and wish it wasn't on the album. Maybe the artists read what listeners write about there music and realize what works better and what doesn't. I hope so.

Track 8, Secret Tongues is better than the previous song...not like it has room to get worse than track 7. It's okay to me, but it lacks ambience and feeling until the last several seconds when it's too late. A fast pace and a bunch of break beats can't save it from lacking emotion and depth IMHO.

Track 9, Ju is slow, relaxing, the piano is a nice choice. While nothing great or all that good to me, it's a peaceful closing.

Entheogenic: Golden Cap is one of the better albums of 2006. Entheogenic as a group or artist however generally does not sound nearly as engaging to me as they once were. I really like The Solution Machine, it's darker, more moody. I like stuff like that, but there's not enough of that darker, more moody stuff here. I wish they aimed at being generally darker on throughout an album for once. It could be great, fresh coming from them who don't seem to innovate anymore. Their first album is still their best by a landslide. However, when I hear tracks like GOLDEN CAP (good) and THE SOLUTION MACHINE (interesting, catchy and different)... I know they the skills to release a great album, considered great by the majority and myself. This album is above average of course, but not there best by a sure shot.

MIDNIGHT EYES, GOLDEN CAP, ZERO EYES, THE SOLUTION MACHINE.

Thats what I call a great review

--------------------------

How make an easy psy-trance or chill review?

Choose a cd & prefer an album, for example the new Enthéogenic 'Golden Cap'.

Insert the cd in your player, sit down & listen, you can do something else while listening if you want.

Now let's check if the release fits with the 3 next points:

-It's possible to experience a non-stop complete listen of the cd without any stop or skipping passage.

-When the cd is finished, your time perception is alterated : your major desire is to launch again the cd as you think it's just imposible you've just spent around 70 minutes so quickly.

-More you listen to the tunes & more you find out elements that were hidden to your initial awareness's state.

Verdict, Enthéogenic - Golden Cap matches with the 3 previous statements.

What else could be added about this album?

Some general remarks & one anecdote.

Let's begin with the anecdote, unfortunately only french or people who can receive french tv channnels & could verify this. Midnight Eyes could appear to your ears as familiar sounding, why? Because the core of the track comes from a jingle from a midday game 'La Cible' on France2, which i suspect to be produced by our dear loved Helmut & Piers. Actually it's the same short melodic layer developped, agremented , embellished by a whole structure that leads it to become a full tune.

For the musical content, a main idea focuses my attention about Golden Cap.

Entheogenic has decided to operate a risky musical turning in their chill-out productions, they wander off the Psychill like the early Shpongle for driving us toward more electic & original soundscapes but still melodic & making you feel out of your home.

Let's mention that Golden Cap has the most indian sounding. Zero Plus propulses you through a weightlessness's control perdition way in a cosmic configuration. Kashmir Day Trip coulb be, contrarily to what suggests the title, a fresh floating trip through the oriental night ponctuated with muffled percussions. The Solution Machine covers more the hypnotic ambient area. Absphinx takes his bass from the Jazz & borrows his rythmic to the Broken Beat the whole thing dredged with an indian flute melody. Secret Tongues is crossing Drum n' Bass & Funkadelik. Ju closes the album on a climatic downtempo vibe while Sideways is more Dubby & Midnight Eyes appears to be the closest to the former Enthéogenic's sound.

If Enthéogenic productions have today very few in common with their first compositions nevertheless i don't hesitate a single moment for claiming that this album is as essential as the previous ones & even surely more.

Recommended

:P

573841[/snapback]

Pretty much agree with everything said in this review.

My favorites would also be - Midnight Eyes - Golden Cap - The solution machine -

I like this one about as much as the new Androcell album - it's pleasant enough but lacks charisma and flair...

Am I the only one who is sick of all the Terence Mckenna samples in psy-downtempo music?

Terence Mckenna samples are such a cliche at this point - everytime I hear a Terence Mckenna sample these days it's usually in a "generic psy-chill" track, never a fresh innovative track...

The first album is probably their best.

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/dv3/dv31cd011.html

Their second album is their second best. (some say it IS their best)

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/cor/cor1cd001.html

I bought their third in 2005. It's mainly a bunch of remixes, some good ones, some okay.

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/chi/chi1cd003.html

About the fourth...I most like tracks 3, 4, 6.

There are some good songs here, and from someone who owns all of their albums...I found other tracks BORING and UNINTERESTING. I really do NOT like tracks 2 and 7. They're not enjoyable to listen to IMHO. They're boring and annoying!! I wrote more on each individual song on page 3.

The first song I initially liked until this melody appears that reminds my friends and I of ELEVATOR-MUSIC(!!!) What is elevator music you ask?? ... Well it's an annoying-repetitive 3-note (repeats twice between spaces) tune in the first song here that comes and goes. Without that it would have been a stronger song. It truly had some attractive elements and sounds otherwise.

As I read throughout the review pages, it seems people generally most favor the several tracks I most favor. Nevertheless, if Entheogenic is to keep, continue (and improve upon) their overall style, it would be great to hear more innovative, catchy, (occasionally darker) and generally stronger songs like the few good ones on here (and better!!) that people generally most like.

In conclusion: It would be very cool if Entheogenic focused on great and superb new songs...masterpieces!...their best new songs ever back-to-back. That's what I think, and nothing close happens here. This is a decent album, one of the better downtempo albums of 2006 (in a weak year IMHO) but not good as a whole. Of course you either like their generally slower/softer style or you don't, but I own their other albums and find this most mixed, exactly as the other reviews on this are. Boring songs mixed with so much better tracks is a mixed bag. Entheogenic has the ability to make very good and great songs... they'll capture more people and buyers if they capitalize on that.

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/chi/chi1cd005.html

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah McKenna samples are a bit been-there-done-that. The thing is that there are days and days of McKenna recordings out there. He theorized that the use of Psilocybe mushrooms allowed him to be something like a mouthpiece for the collective mind of humanity, which is why he could talk like Goa Gil plays music; ie for 24 hrs or longer. Hes been recorded doing so.

About the album: Not too bad, Ive not had the chance to listen too seriously to it, but what Ive heard is pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...

I've listened to this 3 times now. The 1st 2 times I fell asleep & the 3rd time I really didn't hear anything that struck my interest at all. I don't think it sounds to much like their previous albums because those albums had really memorable tracks that hit me from the 1st listen. This seemed more like background music. I'll give it a few more tries but overall a big disappointment! :angry:

How make an easy psy-trance or chill review?

Choose a cd & prefer an album, for example the new Enthéogenic 'Golden Cap'.

Insert the cd in your player, sit down & listen, you can do something else while listening if you want.

Now let's check if the release fits with the 3 next points:

-It's possible to experience a non-stop complete listen of the cd without any stop or skipping passage.

-When the cd is finished, your time perception is alterated : your major desire is to launch again the cd as you think it's just imposible you've just spent around 70 minutes so quickly.

-More you listen to the tunes & more you find out elements that were hidden to your initial awareness's state.

Verdict, Enthéogenic - Golden Cap matches with the 3 previous statements.

What else could be added about this album?

Some general remarks & one anecdote.

Let's begin with the anecdote, unfortunately only french or people who can receive french tv channnels & could verify this. Midnight Eyes could appear to your ears as familiar sounding, why? Because the core of the track comes from a jingle from a midday game 'La Cible' on France2, which i suspect to be produced by our dear loved Helmut & Piers. Actually it's the same short melodic layer developped, agremented , embellished by a whole structure that leads it to become a full tune.

For the musical content, a main idea focuses my attention about Golden Cap.

Entheogenic has decided to operate a risky musical turning in their chill-out productions, they wander off the Psychill like the early Shpongle for driving us toward more electic & original soundscapes but still melodic & making you feel out of your home.

Let's mention that Golden Cap has the most indian sounding. Zero Plus propulses you through a weightlessness's control perdition way in a cosmic configuration. Kashmir Day Trip coulb be, contrarily to what suggests the title, a fresh floating trip through the oriental night ponctuated with muffled percussions. The Solution Machine covers more the hypnotic ambient area. Absphinx takes his bass from the Jazz & borrows his rythmic to the Broken Beat the whole thing dredged with an indian flute melody. Secret Tongues is crossing Drum n' Bass & Funkadelik. Ju closes the album on a climatic downtempo vibe while Sideways is more Dubby & Midnight Eyes appears to be the closest to the former Enthéogenic's sound.

If Enthéogenic productions have today very few in common with their first compositions nevertheless i don't hesitate a single moment for claiming that this album is as essential as the previous ones & even surely more.

Recommended

:P

573841[/snapback]

I like the album, some of it is very good. One of the better chill albums this year. It has more beat then their earlier releases.

8.5/10

• 2 weeks later...

The first album is probably their best.

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/dv3/dv31cd011.html

Their second album is their second best. (some say it IS their best)

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/cor/cor1cd001.html

I bought their third in 2005. It's mainly a bunch of remixes, some good ones, some okay.

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/chi/chi1cd003.html

About the fourth...I most like tracks 3, 4, 6.

In conclusion: It would be very cool if Entheogenic focused on great and superb new songs...masterpieces!...their best new songs ever back-to-back.

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/chi/chi1cd005.html

602247[/snapback]

Yes we want more masterpieces :P

• 3 weeks later...

The biggest problem I think with this release is the OVER USED samples! I like ethnic sounds/songs but why is it always the same samples being used? But there are good tracks on here but also some quite boring ones, can feel it is less psychedelic as it used to be :(

Tracks I like:

1 is nice!

2 has good elements...

5 I really like this track!

6 also has good elements...

7 I like the voice/sound manipulation here, nice and psychedelic, good track!

8 I like, very good to get some more tempo here, its needed!!!

But not finding myself listning to this that often but still happy that I bought it, but its not a masterpiece IMHO! ;)

ED:

A fact that maybe as infuenced my opinion is that I had higher hopes for this one, and I have'nt found as much "depth" as I had hoped for. And over the time it has'nt grown on me as I had hoped for. <_< But still its well made music and good tracks are here but just not enough to get my willie up ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I listend to this and was really appalled at the pop sounding stuff . and yes the sames stuff seems to be being recycled over and over and reused. TO me this was a clear signal that the album was crap. I saw what happened. So I just rejected it.

Now reading all these positive reviews I think Ill have to check it out again. Saying it was the best album entheogenic made ever. Is really high praise. I thought the first one was the best. But I suppose I can give it another listen.

• 2 months later...

I've listened to this now quite a few times & I can't remember a single track on it! Not one stood out. It's all quite nice but nothing is particularly interesting.

BGM only

Need to listen some more to it, before it deserves to go into my classic album section ( their previous ones are)

there other ones are in my classics section too. Doesn't mean this album gets to go there just on the back of the previous ones.

I'm going to give this more time but so far it's :(

Golden Cap has its moments but, unlike CBL-World of Sleepers, I can't really float away with it... I like that Irish (ish) tune, forget which track...

6.9/10

• 2 weeks later...

Golden Cap isnt a chill out album, dont know what to call it, it is more like a category in its own.

More like a downtempo dance album.

indeed the baseline (bass and kick) + pattern are more present compared to other psychedelic ambient,

it's more directions converting vegetarians second cd, but again totally different... :rolleyes::D