4 Zero Plus (08:08)

5 Kashmir Day Trip (07:39)

6 The Solution Machine (06:41)

7 Absphinx (07:10)

8 Secret Tongues (05:35)

9 Ju (09:10)

[ Discogs link: http://www.discogs.com/release/698612 ]

Review:

The Entheogenic duo are back with their 4th album, entitled 'Golden Cap'. It's been released on the Chillcode label, who also released 'Dialogue of the Speakers' last year.

I thought that 'Dialogue of the Speakers' was a very nice compilation of tunes, but didn't really live up to a full Entheogenic album. So the guys have gone away and produced a new, full album of fresh tunes! Let's dive in, shall we?

1. Midnight Eyes

Surprisingly, this is actually a continuation (or a remix) of Twilight Eyes (from Spontaneous Illumination) - So I was a little disappointed here because I was looking forward to some new material. As for the track, it doesn't really add anything to the original - it's a nice journey in itself - noteworthy is the guitar that crops up later in the track.

2. Sideways

This track is all new. Well, almost. The intro opens with some nice floating string pads and some vocal sample. Then we get introduced into an Abakus style funky groove with some floating pads. Surprisingly, Entheogenic again have ripped off Pagan Dream Machine this time - reusing part of the vocals there. Also, I'm not quite sure I like the Shpongle rip either - the synth that enters at around 2:20 - come on guys, that's been done before, and quite frankly, the track could do without it - sounds very misplaced to me.

3. Golden Cap

"Sometimes I am uneasy... and troubled in my mind... Sometimes I think I will go to my love and tell to him my mind..." - Nice song sample here. Soon after enters some nice ethno-percussion. Oh, and another reused sample (I think I heard this on Blumenkraft somewhere?) - C'mon!! - I know vocals are Entheogenic's trademark style, but we're not hearing any new material there... Anyway, this track has a nice soft kickdrum pulsating and throbbing all the way through the track (that's 4 to the floor, folks) - also a nice funky bassline and sweet, ethereal pads and sequences. Nice track, if you can ignore the ripped vocals!

4. Zero Plus

Ah, blissful atmosphere in the first minute - then we get a nice filtered synth line and some pad stabs in the background. Lovely! Also we get some flute cropping up now and again. Nice track.

5. Kashmir Day Trip

Now this is more like it. The album picks up a little here, with a nice tabla part playing a lovely syncopated rhythm - this reminds me a little of Kaya Project - it's nice and groovy. We get some trademark synths in the latter half of the track. At last, the vocals seem original (to my ears) Sweet track!

6. The Solution Machine

At the start, there's a nice filtered arpeggio and some weird effects. Some timbales are appearing here and there. A nice hihat part fades in along with some pads in the background. The track seems to unfold, with more layers appearing and disappearing. Cool track!

7. Absphinx

Gorgeous intro. Followed by some weird vocals - then drops into a funky beat. The bass work here is very good too - nice and groovy. Pads are very minimal and background - the main focus here seems to be the bass and drums - with a flute here and there. It's a good track, but I'm missing the synth melodies here...

8. Secret Tongues

Reverse pads start off this track, a nice mystical atmosphere. The drums in the intro are subtle, then it breaks into a nice, almost drum and bass style track. A great filtered arpeggio in the start of the track works very well with the drums, and again, the basswork here is very, very nice. Good track!

9. Ju

This could possibly be the best track on the album. Very good drum and bass work again here, a piano makes it's entrance too - and we're treated to some lovely, traditional Entheogenic rising and falling melodies. Nice instrumentation here guys.

Well... I can't say I'm not a little disappointed with this album - I was expecting some rich tracks like Pagan Dream Machine - and instead I got some more 'faster' chill - These guys have evolved their style, which is good, and I suppose with a few listens more I'll understand the evolution.

Though there are parts I'm not digging - such as the vocal rips - this was inevitable really - there are only so many sample CDs out there, and you won't have artists checking every single track to see if they have that certain vocal sample - though, they could have not reused the original samples they used in Spontaneous Illumination!!

So, if you're looking for another Spontaneous Illumination here, you won't find it. What you'll find is a nice chill album, with groovy beats and traditional Entheogenic vocals.

Favourites: 3, 5(!), 6, 8, 9(!!)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally dig this album!!!.

My favourites are:

Midnight Eyes - a gorgeous layback chill track with some lovely guitar .

Golden Cap - best psy chill track I have heard in a long time Lovely!!!

Zero Plus - Now this I call progressive chill - Outstanding !!!

Kashmir Day Trip - Another outstanding track, very well executed.

The solution Machine - Interesting song all together.

Secret Tongues - Very different from the usuall Entheogenic stuff, but real good more beat and bass as usuall

Ju- Another gorgeous and lovely Entheogenic style track.

I give it 10/10 !!!

I totally dig this album!!!.

My favourites are:

Secret Tongues - Very different from the usuall Entheogenic stuff, but real good more beat and bass as usuall

Ju- Another gorgeous and lovely  Entheogenic style track.

I give it 10/10 !!!

540338[/snapback]

Sounds very good psyspectrum, ordered mine today, review will follow :D

Lazy as I am, I found this review hits the spot real good:

-----

This is easily their most accomplished artist album, and stands head and shoulders above a lot of the competition. What’s perhaps most significant is that they’ve finally shed the shpongle-clone skin that dogged them at the start of their career – this is fresh, deep, and unashamedly individual. If you’re looking for the shanty-friendly-soundtrack to your summer’s chilling, then it looks like you’ve found it.

In short a winner!

:) :) :) :) :)

Btw - the track - "Golden Cap"  is quickly becoming one of my all time favourites.

541971[/snapback]

Absolutely. I fist agreed with a lot of what was said in the initial review, but once I gave this 4 or 5 listens I was completely hooked. It works well as a crusiy chill album at low volume just to get you through the day or relax to at home. Or you can pump it up and it becomes a funkafied masterpeice.

Simply cannot get enough of this release. AND I can't get Brushes and Briars out of my head, I don't care if its reused. Golden Cap is a phenomenal song.

After the first listen the track is good, but nothing too special...

One of the vocal samples has been used by Shpongle before AND I thin even Entheogenic has used the same sample before..

I was expecting a bit more after all this hype, but maybe it will grow on me.

All in all.. I would like less sample-CD ethnic voices. Not because they are from sample CDs, but there is too much of them. Maybe it is the Enth trademark, but still ::/

My favourites are:

Ju- Another gorgeous and lovely  Entheogenic style track.

I give it 10/10 !!!

540338[/snapback]

7 out of 9 favourites? No offense, but what is the point of picking favourites then :D

After the first listen the track is good, but nothing too special...

One of the vocal samples has been used by Shpongle before AND I thin even Entheogenic has used the same sample before..

I was expecting a bit more after all this hype, but maybe it will grow on me.

All in all.. I would like less sample-CD ethnic voices. Not because they are from sample CDs, but there is too much of them. Maybe it is the Enth trademark, but still ::/

542710[/snapback]

spot on.

i ve been listening to samples and the moment i heard this TOO FAMILIAR sample in golden cap i lost all interest for this release.

too bad. entheogenic make good music, generally interesting and stimulating but this just killed it for me.

this is a plea to all artists: please stop using this sample. it was nice the first 10 times, not any more!!!

spot on.

i ve been listening to samples and the moment i heard this TOO FAMILIAR sample in golden cap i lost all interest for this release.

too bad. entheogenic make good music, generally interesting and stimulating but this just killed it for me.

this is a plea to all artists: please stop using this sample. it was nice the first 10 times, not any more!!!

543434[/snapback]

exactly

edit: and its not only that one sample.. some tracks has few minutes very nice stuff then the autotune/vocoded vocal sample ruins it for me

Edited by Towelie

Another good release from Chillcode Records! Great quality, nice ideas, beautiful melodies... Some tracks impresive me a lot...i cant stop to playing these tracks...

Midnight eyes

Sideways

Zero Plus

Ju

The other tracks are just good! nothing special!

Generally this album is good and have many differents with the older albums, more unique!

Rated: 7,5/10

exactly

edit: and its not only that one sample.. some tracks has few minutes very nice stuff then the autotune/vocoded vocal sample ruins it for me

543557[/snapback]

Entheogenic - Recycled Crap? , anyway never been a fan. Haven't heard it, never will :P

Really nice tunes on this one :) Just need some more time to absorb! I got it at the same time as Kaya Project - Elixir, so its sort of a battle the cd player :ph34r: But so far I feel like this surely is a more mature piece of work than their earlier releases :) Beautiful composition!