The new trend

Klato

Ok, so we're almost half way through 2006 now. A lot of interesting releases have come out. Most of the releases have the following traits:

-really dark

-really fast

-droning, unchanging (usually) bassline

-little-to-no melodies

-a few effects thrown around

What's your take on this latest trend in psytrance? What direction is it heading in? Do you like it? Dislike it?

As for me, the first time I heard this style was in Kindzadza and Friends...I liked it...it was dark and it was evil...but then it got kinda old. I recently listened to "VA - Sanatonic Audio", and the only track that I thought was kinda interesting was the Ka-Sol track (track 2 or 3 I think). The rest all sounded exactly the same to me.

So what do you guys (n gals) think?

Cheers!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't heard many 2006 releases yet, but if it's all like Sanatonic or Ka-Sol's new it's down the drain. Even if hard core fans on psynews likes ... it's down the drain.

Looking at the amount of reviews it seems the quantity as well is down :huh: Or is it only psynews :blink::unsure:

It's why I don't buy trance regularly - I'm looking for the innovative stuff.

If psytrance artists made more stuff like B.P.Empire, I'd be buying left right and centre. :)

At least there's still some good chill :)

I don't like the "new style" generally. I like melodies, not random sound effects. Hearing the same bassline repeat over and over with some wierd noises just doesnt work for me. I like music that's....well musical. Most new psy just gives me a headache. :huh:

This kind of discussions have been discussed here for ages...

YES, PSYCHEDELIC TRANCE IS GOING DOWN THE DRAIN...

536504[/snapback]

And it started going down the drain even before the first psytrance track had been made.

This kind of discussions have been discussed here for ages...

YES, PSYCHEDELIC TRANCE IS GOING DOWN THE DRAIN...

536504[/snapback]

the quality of psytrance is going down the drain...

it makes a big difference

a lot of people dont care about quality anymore,so psytrance is not ready to die just yet.who knows,maybe something good will be reborn from this pile of crap.....

*crosses fingers* :)

At least psychill is indeed having some good releases!!

Who cares about psytrance today anyways?  :P :P  :P

536539[/snapback]

Exactly!!!Personally i dont care if this music is psy or whatever!!!The only think is if music is good and serious!!!so...day by day i hear more ambient - chill music and about trance i prefer (psy) progresive cause is fresh and have new ideas!!!

Some tracks from the full on style is good but the bigger percentage is bad quality music, without passion, without feeling...without...without...without...NOTHING!!!

Its my opinion...

Cheers :)

*shameless self promotion*

Well, me and my neighbour started making music together and it really sounds like nothing you hear nowadays. It's slow (130 BPM), it's very intense and it's quite psychedelic, not to say totally deranged. And because my partner likes Jazz as much as he likes Psy we throw in a lot of Jazzy elements.

So, stay tuned.

B)

No it isn't... there is always something fresh and interesting to dig into. If you get really bored, brush off an old classic you overlooked. Focusing on the shifting trends will merely cause angst... so don't bother.

536512[/snapback]

Quoted for truth.

The consensus on this site is to moan endlessly about the deplorable state of current releases, when I reality nobody forces you to buy them or go to parties where such music is played.

Dunno about the state of parties in the rest of the world, and I havent been to one in close to two years over here in finland, but looking at line-ups etc... I don´t say that people here follow any "trends" that closely.

I hate to break it to you guys but is there any scene that ever doesn't have a decay in the "quality" of the music? All genres change over time and there is always the "things arn't like they used to be back in the day" argument that is brought up. Well guess what? While you were first rocking to goa or whenever you came in the scene, I hope that you realize someone was thinking the same thing about the "old school days" about your golden days. It's a vicious cycle. I do see what people are talking about when they say "it ain't what it used to be", but I see a lot of psyheads talking like they have never seen a scene change to get bigger.

I hate to break it to you guys but is there any scene that ever doesn't have a decay in the "quality" of the music? All genres change over time and there is always the "things arn't like they used to be back in the day" argument that is brought up. Well guess what? While you were first rocking to goa or whenever you came in the scene, I hope that you realize someone was thinking the same thing about the "old school days" about your golden days. It's a vicious cycle. I do see what people are talking about when they say "it ain't what it used to be", but I see a lot of psyheads talking like they have never seen a scene change to get bigger.

536744[/snapback]

Exactly ... :)

536744[/snapback]

well if they re-release all the goa that is not available anymore,i will never bitch about psytrance again. :)

Am I the only person here who actually likes the dark style you're all bitching about? Sure, there's probably too much of it being produced that sounds similar, but I'd much rather go to a party and hear loads of samey dark stuff than loads of samey fullon, or worse, cheesy Israeli shit with IM-style vocals over the top. By the way I got the new Devil's Mind comp. "Durdom" the other day and if you do like dark stuff you should get it while it's still in stock, it's great. Why the hell do labels feel the need to make cds limited edition?

Am I the only person here who actually likes the dark style you're all bitching about? Sure, there's probably too much of it being produced that sounds similar, but I'd much rather go to a party and hear loads of samey dark stuff than loads of samey fullon, or worse, cheesy Israeli shit with IM-style vocals over the top. By the way I got the new Devil's Mind comp. "Durdom" the other day and if you do like dark stuff you should get it while it's still in stock, it's great. Why the hell do labels feel the need to make cds limited edition?

536973[/snapback]

I like some dark, when it is psychedelic, creative, has melodies and is intense... I love it :) the problem is just that too much dark becomes formulatic... But luckely there are exceptions indeed... like the Durdom compilation for example, or Greg on Earth, Scatterbrain,...

and I prefer dark above all the other genres you mentioned, but not above old school goa trance... (and luckely we have more old school then dark parties here... Altough the best ones are the ones with dark music at night and old school in the morning) :)

Can't comment on much old school stuff, being something of a psynoob (first heard psytrance in 2003), but no matter how good it was there doesn't seem to be much point making old school music all over again, especially as long as people are still throwing old school parties... all genres have to evolve or they might as well stop making new music altogether

but no matter how good it was there doesn't seem to be much point making old school music all over again, especially as long as people are still throwing old school parties...

536978[/snapback]

for me, the fact there are still parties with that music every 2 weeks here mean there IS a point in making that style... because people want new, and more...

it's like saying "don't make Rock anymore, it has been made for years, evoluate", I never understood that idea... if you love 1 particular style there is no reason to say one day "I see the hype has passed, let's listen to other music", once you fall in love with something... it is forever (now I'm talking for myself of course :))